St. Clair Hotel & Hostel

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "St. Clair Hotel & Hostel" at 577 Richards Street.)

577 Richards Street, Downtown, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
49.282721, -123.114102 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.stclairvancouver.com
+1 (604) 684-3713
+1 (604) 684-3713

How is St. Clair Hotel & Hostel rated on other websites?

Gomio

Terrible, unsafe
I came up over the new year from Seattle to spend a couple days in Vancouver. I chose this large hostel based on price, location and reviews from around the web. The negative reviews I found did scare me a little but the location and price were great. What a mistake! The location was great, yes, but ... oh my! Everything from the check-in procedure to the decor and most importantly to the staff was disappointing and in the case of the staff and check in procedure unsafe. The key for my room was left on a table in the doorway with my name and room number on it! The staff member I encountered the next day was smoking cigarettes in the doorway and was yelling at someone on his phone. I also heard him swearing loudly and complaining about the owners later on. The showers and toilets were straight from a bad prison movie in southeast asia. Filthy, very small, it stunk and the single sink was located away from the two toilets and showers in the hallway!! So unhygienic! I saw so many people leave the toilet and just walk away without using the sink! Gross. The beds were very uncomfortable Ikea style for kids type bunks, small rooms. This hostel probably holds over 100 people and yet the common room could hold 5 people. No kitchen area, noisy stairs and full of drunks. Three floors of misery only three toilets (one per floor). The check-in desk looks like it came from a bad movie. The staff look like they are behind bars! Check the pictures they provide and you can see what I mean Seemed to be homeless people type people walking through the building everywhere. Avoid. Take my advice spend a few more bucks and stay elsewhere.
Seattlecoffee
Age 30, USA
2017-01-06

Very helpful staff
I stayed here for one night in late June. The hostel was nearly full, only female rooms available. They let me stay anyway, accommodating me in the common room which they closed just for me. The staff were fantastic. I'm grateful to them for letting me stay when I was desperate for a bed.
Stuart
Age 28, Australian
2015-06-29
  Ok.
Malinowski
Age 48, Poland
2014-08-10
  I stayed here for a month and it was very quiet except for sunday mornings when the cathedral across the street rang its bells. Staff here were great Daniel the manager was very helpful and is in the middle of refurbishing the hotel he also let me stay for less than i was quoted, although the floor i was on was the only one still to be refurbished you can see from the other floors that they will soon be done to a high standard. Negative points about this hotel were the lack of cooking facilities with only a fridge and microwave situated on the 2nd floor but there is a 7 eleven a block away where you can be accosted by the many homeless in the downtown area. Also there doesn't seem to be much guest interaction there is a tv room but only seems to have 1 or 2 people in it at one time although the seating is very uncomfortable. The room is quite basic a double bed chest of drawers and a sink but hey its comfortable and you get what you pay for although the radiators in the room seemed to have a mind of its own!
Ben
2007-03-14
  We stayed there in august while it was just being renovated, so I can't really say what it looks now. Then, the whole place was a bit run-down but still showing a hint of class, the room featured an average bunk bed and were really quiet, the bathrooms are brand new. Rather disgusting was the so called "kitchen area" featuring a fridge and a microwave, both not cleaned for ages. The owner and the rest of the staff were friendly and communicative, the price is definitely a bargain.
mat
2006-12-08
  We originally were booked into another hostel, which proved very unclean and in a bad area. Someone suggested the St. Clair Hotel. It has a great location and seemed pretty clean. The manager was new and seemed determined to make a go of the place. Really he should list it as a hostel, because the standards are too low for a hotel. I would recommend this place though, as I have a feeling that many travelers are unaware it even exits. If you want a safe, centrally located place stay here.
Peter