Casa Oro, San Juan del Sur

7.0

Casa Oro is listed at the following booking sites:

It is the only way to book Casa Oro

How is Casa Oro rated on booking websites?

Casa Oro Reviews

Casa Oro is a large hostel with a clean look and a party atmosphere in downtown San Juan del Sur. It provides everything a traveler needs, but rooms can get a bit wet in the rainy season (May through September).

The hostel is located one block away from the beach, and as San Juan del Sur is a small place, everything is within easy walking distance. Casa Oro sits at the corner of a block and thus has a busy intersection next to it.

Both dorms and private rooms are available. Dorm rooms have sturdy metal double-bunk beds with two metal-cage lockers underneath (bring a padlock). Rooms are spacious and there is plenty of space for your luggage on the floor. Unfortunately, when it rains, water puddles appear on the floor and luggage as well as the contents of the underbed lockers gets waterlogged. This problem is not restricted to the top floor. Bunks have colourful but see-through privacy curtains, but no electrical sockets or small lights. There are a small handful of electrical sockets in the dorm. Furthermore there are fans attached to the ceiling, but they cover some beds more than others. Sheets are clean and mattresses are comfortable. Dorms are not locked and as the reception area is open on two sides and contains a bar; the comings and goings are not well supervised (although you are given a wristband at check-in).

The en suite bathrooms of the dorms have seen better times and feature leaky taps, cold water, and very weak water pressure. Apart from the floor, there is no place to put your clothes while showering. There are no mosquito screens or nets and there are barely any bugs around.

The main common space is in the lobby with bar stools; couches; info about tours, shuttles, and excursions; and a bar. Furthermore there are chairs, tables, hammocks, and couches on the first and second floor as well as an open-roof terrace. The hostel centres around an open courtyard with a large tree and the main stairwell. As beautiful as this looks, it means that the stairs are exposed to the rain, which is not that much fun in a wet-season downpour. There is a very small book exchange on the ground floor with a handful of travel guides and some fiction. The Wi-Fi works well throughout the property, except when it stops working altogether for reasons unknown to the staff.

Casa Oro has a distinct party and surf vibe, but it does not get out of hand, and by midnight the music is turned off.

Summary

This hostel ticks a lot of boxes with its modern and clean look and a nice atmosphere, but falls a bit short in the rainy season.
Streetview
Reception
Tour & beach shuttle overview in lobby
Lobby with reception and bar
Open courtyard with stairwell
Second floor common area
Open roof terrace
10-bed dorm
10-bed dorm
#
CarinaWandering
Published on 2019-08-19

Why not stay somewhere else

Only real reason to stay there could be that it is a transportation hub for the beach. Otherwise unfriendly approach by receptionist smiling on the home page of the hostel can turn into a nightmare in early morning yelling; Find some open place, go and change your money into smaller bills or "No beach for you" and "No I wouldn't discount 50 cents." Than she can start yelling to the Nica ladies preparing breakfast, I said no breakfast to people going to the beach! I believe I deserve to be treated better.

Gio
2013-01-16
Greece

Casa Oro is a well-established hostel based in the town centre of San Juan Del Sur that offers many different tours and beach shuttles.

The hostel is in the main town area, which can get a little noisy at times, but the location is good for its close proximity to the beach and many bars and restaurants. The bus stop is also only a couple of blocks away outside the market with services to Rivas and Managua.

There are dorm rooms with eight to ten beds. The dorm rooms downstairs have more beds in them than the dorms upstairs. Each room has its own bathroom as well as ceiling fans and small lockers for your smaller valuables outside the rooms. For more privacy there are a range of private rooms that fit from two to people that have their own bathrooms and fans and some also have air conditioning available for an extra charge.

There are bathrooms in every room, which is handy, and if you need more, you can use the two extra ones on the ground floor. The quality of the shower depends on the bathroom you are in and the bathrooms on the ground floor need a thorough clean as there is dust on the shelves. Also there appears to be nowhere to hang up towels or clothes in any of the bathrooms.

The hostel is centered around a small courtyard on the ground floor this is where youll find the kitchen, the free breakfast that changes daily, book exchange and reception area that offers tours as well as a TV for guests. Upstairs there is also a computer room with free internet as well as sporadic Wi-Fi across the hostel. There is also a rooftop bar. At night there is a security guard that will only let you in if you are wearing this beautiful blue wristband.

Summary

This is a good hostel to stay in if you want some great food options right outside your door, the convenience of having the beach shuttles leave from where youre staying and a great free breakfast.

Keppers
2012-11-15
Australia

Terrible

dirty, unfriendly staff, 12 USD for a sh*t dorm. The first hostel in Nicaragua I did not like. Many better and cheaper places in town.

2010-12-26
germany

Like an internment camp

Yes, this Hostel is somewhat like an internment camp. How so you ask? Well, first of all you have to wear a bracelet around your wrist (like if you were going to a concert) the entire time you stay there. It's for your safety of course and you cannot stay there if you don't wear it. Second, the owner of the hotel is some grumpy woman who is like many other appropriating foreigners in third world countries and doesn't seem to hire any locals -- all of whom were wonderful by the way -- for any of the better paid positions, instead choosing to give those jobs to, of course, other totally grumpy girls who act as if you are there to serve them. Our shuttle from the beach was over an hour late one day as we sat in the rain with the option of spending $3 to sit unto the only cover available on the beach (Remanso). Of course since were there to serve the Hostel and not the other way around, such faults of theirs receive no penalty, whereas if you check out an hour late you have to pay them $5 -- $2.5 less than the cost of a room in the dorm. Likewise they will have no problem kicking you out if you try to hang around for a little longer to wait for a friend, and make sure you don't "steal" any of the free internet time reserved for the paying residents, identified, of course, by the wrist band you have to wear and enforced by a roaming security guard. The only benefit to staying here is that there is a somewhat large area to hang out and, given that there is such a buzz around this place, meet people. There are plenty of other hostels for cheaper in the area, particularly if you want a private room. The locals who clean up here and work at the front desk were all wonderful. The foreigners who work here (all but some British woman) are terrible grumps who were rude, pretentious, pompous, who had the customer-client relationship reversed.

Mike
2009-07-29

Terrible

We used the place for board rental and transport. We were left at the beach for two hours after the pickup time with no telephone and no reasons. When they cam to get us, they could not pick everyone up and had no idea how many people or boards were at the location. When confronted, they said "its Nicaragua." I have traveled extensively and never have I run into such a poorly organized facility. No apologies or rebates were offered.

Catharine Bull
2009-01-06

No pillow, uncomfortable mattress, dirty

Casa Oro was very disappointing. We were put into a room that was under construction, given an uncomfortable mattress that was too big for the bed, no pillows, and we were not separated from the dorm room next door who were awake until very late. The room we were in seemed to still be in construction, lights didnt work and it was dirty. We stayed twelve days in town but only one night in casa oro and enjoyed the two other places we stayed in. the trips were great though -- daily trips were great, and the turtle trips and turtle guide were great.

Chris
2008-12-17
Australia

Fantastic people, poor Hostel

I really liked my time in San Juan del Sur. La Casa Oro was a great place to meet lots of nice people, the atmosphere is very good. But the Hostel itself is not very nice. The kitchen is poorly equipped (the pots have holes and there a just about fifteen cups for fifty persons). The sanitary system is bad, there are some toilets just in front of the kitchen, not very nice for the cookers and as well the is only one small washing basin in the kitchen to clean teeth. The dorms are pretty big -- twelve beds, with no door (just a curtain) and an unhealthy old pillow. For 7$ a night not very good. We stayed all the three nights there, because we were too lazy to pack our stuff again. As well very bad is, no "hard" alcohol is allowed, what means no flor de caa and as well you are not allowed to bring your own drinks, you have to buy the beer for a higher price than in the supermarket in the reception.

Jenny
2008-12-08
Alemana

We planned to stay three days, ended up staying for a week. This is a great hostel with a really nice social atmosphere. Recommended surf lessons with Fred -- he's fantastic. Well, everything was really good -- the staff, the facilities, the beach shuttles, and especially the turtle tour. They are so knowledgeable!

Jared, Clare and Ann
2008-09-12
France

Casa Oro Reviews from the Web

ahvWtnzu8bRBRdlI
2022-07-29

The negatives seriously outweighed the positives of Casa Oro.

The fact they even try to claim the kitchen for guests is a kitchen is a joke. After asking a staff member to help us turn on the stove (to no avail) and asking if we could use the main kitchen to cook pot noodles (straight no) was a horrible experience.

Then comes the incredibly rude staff. After very nicely going to reception to ask if our AC could be turned on as the fan didnt work I was clearly mocked in Spanish by a staff member to anothe

aGH98eBwbOTrqIyJ
2022-06-27

Showers are terrible and there are no electric showers. My room was filled with water all over the floor every time it rained heavily. The staff is very rude all the time, not friendly at all. Wifi is bad and has weak signal.

2022-05-29

I had doubts because of seeing reviews mainly complaining about staff and organisation, but during our 2 night stay the staff were very helpful (and I observed them having to deal with difficult and rude guests).

The architecture of the hostel is beautiful and there are large balconies to relax in. Contrary to some reviews I didnt find our dorm (on the middle floor) too hot. Its a very large place so you have to use the lockers otherwise youll get stuff stolen (my friend lost $40).

aLdnWrw5q4rxP1QG
2022-05-28

I'm not one to leave a bad review ever and I am not picky usually at all but this hostel really dissapointed me.

Horribly hot and stuffy. Was in the room on the bottom floor and got woken up by loud music each morning. Door doesnt close at all - Anyone can walk in. Floor in bathroom is soaking wet and muddy because shower doesnt have a door. Bin in toilet isn't changed each day so it smells.

Tried to email ahead of stay to request a change of booking, didnt get a response,

cathcashman837
2022-05-13

We enjoyed our stay here but the rooms were so hot and not that clean and the staff werent very accommodating. not much atmosphere but in a great location

lilianpritchard
2022-04-30

Rooms are very hot at night. Wifi does not work at all - we had to keep going down the street to get it. Good location and value for money and a really nice space but slightly frustrating at times

minnagriff
2022-04-30

Horrible kitchen

maherzabalawi9171
2022-04-16

I stayed at Casa Oro for two nights - for these nights it was fine as the hostel is really good located in San Juan del Sur. But I was actually a bit disappointed because the kitchen is basically equipped at all (we couldn't even find a spoon), our dorm was very noisy (fair enough it was very close to the reception) and the staff was actually not very helpful and friendly.

jekabloecher9866
2022-04-09

It's a great place to stay when you're in San Juan del Sur as it is right i the middle of the city, walking distance to everything you need. Loved the rooftop terrace to just relax! The beds are really basic and the rooms are quite loud, but it has everything you need.

hello8623
2022-04-07

Let me start by saying I have lived/worked in hostels for around 3 years and this is my first ever bad review. I can not describe how rude the staff were. When I woke up after my first night I had obvious bed bug bites all over me- no huge problem I just asked them to change the mattress instead of just the sheets and saying they 'don't have bedbugs' and laughed. Also it was the most unorganized place I've been, 6 people we met lost their beds bc overbooking, they never knew which beds we're in.

mirancole6530
2022-04-02

Excelent place, the atmosphere is awesome tons of young turist. All is perfect except from the heat that the fans don't do alone and that my friend camera and phone got stolen in the night

omry2964989
2022-04-01

So we got stuck in Honduras because of riots with boats cancelled etc, we contacted the hostel, not with the hopes of a refund but to maybe change the date, and after 5 emails, 3 messages on Instagram, we have not heard back. They even sent (automatic but still) emails saying its great to have you with us when obviously we hadnt checked in. Lost all our money.

jackdecarle1
2022-03-26

I genuinely hated that place. The first minute I entered I felt unwelcomed by the staff. It felt like they didn't wanted me to be there. They were also not speaking a word english and were making everything very complicated when I had a reservation with my name and all. They also triple booked my bed and took my stuff out of it to pretend to the other travelers that it was unoccupied. It took them 2 days to find my stuff again (but they did which I am grateful for). They had fans in the rooms but they were

clemenceturgeon
2022-03-25

This is a good hostel if your tight on budget. But other than that its probably the worst in San Juan (Ive been to most). The atmosphere is more like a hotel and the staff are not that friendly. They do have a good shuttle service to all the beaches. If you already have a group then this is an okay hostel. If your solo traveling, Id choose another one.

2022-03-21

Stayed in both dorm and private rooms here. Location is definitely the best thing about it, the staff dont really make you feel the most welcome, but if that doesnt bother you then youll enjoy your stay. Most of the showers dont seem to have a head so they shoot out at you, but other than that, it was good!

isadoraetaylor7816
2022-03-12

I stayed for total of 11 nights there and it was the best love it

zivshmo
2022-03-11

Good location and nice chill areas but the staff they really know how to make you feel unwelcome. We had some very normal questions but by asking them they made us feel difficult. There was quite some attitude and complete lack of interest. I do feel like for whatever reason we got a different treatment than some other travelers, but they definitely made us feel like we wanted to leave ASAP again to a place we actually felt welcome. Therefor I wouldnt recommend.

michelletindal06200
2022-02-28

Not recommend at all

anael4405529
2022-02-26

It was a nice hostel, its in the center and perfect for Sunday funday and party in general, since all the bars are really close. You can also take shuttles there to beaches. The only thing I didnt like was, there were not so many sockets in my room and the kitchen was barely equipped and dirty.

saraahh7619
2022-02-24

Very clean place with friendly staff. All the information about the region. The only real hostel in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Where you can meet your fish and BBQ your friends!

• Del Hotel Colonial 20 varas al Sur
• Only two blocks (corners) from the bus stop, from the market, from the beach and from the park. Follow the signs.
• By bus: Take the express bus from Managua at the Mercado Huembes (that's pronounced "whem-base") every day at 4 p.m. After only 2.5 hours you'll arrive in San Juan Del Sur. Or again from Mercado Huembes take any bus heading for Rivas. The ride to Rivas is about 3 hours. Same thing from any other cities (Granada, Massaya…) Take the bus to Rivas. Once in Rivas connect to San Juan Del Sur on another bus, about 50 minutes.
• By Bus from Costa Rica: If you are coming from Costa Rica, you can catch the bus headed for Rivas at the border and tell the driver you want to get off at La Virgen. Then cross the Pan-American highway and wait for the next bus to San Juan Del Sur. They run every 45 minutes, so it won't be long.
• By car: If you are coming straight from the airport. It is much faster to cut via Tipitapa than trough Managua. Take Massaya highway out of Managua and head south on the Pan-American highway. After you pass Rivas, be on the lookout for the turnoff for San Juan.

Address: Saliendo del Colonial, 20, Nicar, Rivas, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Casa Oro is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub

Website Casa Oro San Juan del Sur www.casaeloro.com
Phone Number: +505 7833 8619

Digital Nomads

Gym/Fitness Room

Meeting/Banquet facilities

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Casa Oro