Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel

Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel
Lade Dir unsere App herunter!Hof und Terrasse
LobbyRezeption und LobbyPrivatzimmer
MehrbettzimmerAlcatraz Backpacker HostelDreibettzimmer

Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel is a colorful and social place to stay. There are many different styles of rooms from which to choose and guests can be any age, not just young adults. The hostel has many common area, both inside and outside, for travelers to hang out and meet others. The courtyard has been decorated with paintings representative of Berlin that give the hostel a fun and trendy atmosphere.

Alcatraz is not very centrally located when it comes to walking to the city centre, but the closest U-Bahn station is only a two- to three-minute walk away. It is rather far (even riding public transportation) from the main train station and it isn't completely obvious where the hostel is once exiting the nearby U-Bahn station. The hostel itself is situated in a good area of the city surrounded by restaurants and is very close to a twenty-four/seven supermarket.

The dorm rooms come in many different styles, making it easy to accommodate different-sized groups. Apartment-style rooms are spacious, with an extra common area. There are lockers in the dorm rooms for storing luggage during the day and locks are included upon request. The bathroom, at least in the apartment-style rooms, has a strange setup due to a missing door to the area with showers -- you might find yourself in an awkward situation and risk walking in on someone. The small rooms with toilets, therefore, are the only place to change and are rather small. It is also important to note that even though clean bedsheets are provided, towels are not.

Alcatraz has many common areas, making it a great place to meet other travelers. They include a room with computers (and lots of brochures on things to do in Berlin), a kitchen and eating area, a courtyard for warmer weather, and another small common room off from the courtyard. A breakfast buffet is available for a small price every morning, but the choice is minimal and items like orange juice are extra. On Wednesdays, the hostel offers free dinner and holds a happy hour everyday where you can buy cheap beer. There is also free Wi-Fi throughout, although it works best in the common areas.

Summary

Overall, this hostel has a great atmosphere and provides guests with lots of places to hang out and meet new people. With an improved breakfast buffet and more dependable Wi-Fi, Alcatraz would be at the top of our list!

by Rebecca C.
April 2013

Outside the hostelOne of the common room areasA look at the 6-bed apartment style room
Bathroom for 6-bed apartment style roomPart of the bathroom for 6-bed apartment style room
How is Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Good place in a very good location Great Location. Very helpful staff.  , usa ()
4  I had a wonderful time at Alcatraz. The people staying were from all over Germany mostly and made me feel very welcome, and the accommodation was comfortable. Very laid back!  ()
4  The best hostel out of six weeks travelling in eight countries! I found it very social and met some of the most interesting people there. The facilities are excellent. I will definitely stay there again!  ()
5  I definitely recommend this hostel. Alcatraz was just great for me. I moved here after having been in Pegasus, and liked it here right away. Just all very nice people, with all sorts of backgrounds, fine beds/rooms, and a lot more social interaction than what I was used to in Pegasus.... (Probably because at Pegasus a lot of youngsters were staying when I was there). Also I had the luck of staying in a 4-bedroom on my own. So I had lots of rest here...for as far as I actually spent time in bed, because Alcatraz is in a great area: Prenzlauerberg. Check out Kastanienallee, which is around the corner. A very nice and relaxed area with cool shops and cheap bars and restaurants, and all sorts of stuff happening in the street and on sidewalks during the day and at night. A nice detail for computer geeks; the hostel offers 2 computers with free Internet access for their guests ... that run linux. To be precise, they use a knoppix live-CD. After inquiring who was responsible, I found out that Sabine (who was at the counter at that time) was... but she had a problem connecting computers together. I offered my help, and in return she gave me 2 free nights to stay at Alcatraz the next time I'm in Berlin!! So I'll definitely return! Just one great experience. Most of my adventures in Berlin started with people I met here!  ()
3  This place has a kitchen and feels laidback. It's in a very nice area.  ()
Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel Reviews from the Web