Emile Youth Hostel, Gibraltar

Montagy Bastion
7.6

Emile Youth Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

It is the only way to book Emile Youth Hostel

How is Emile Youth Hostel rated on booking websites?

Emile Youth Hostel Reviews

good basic accomodation

I stayed here last year when i was over at gibraltar for the music festival, it is a very good basic option.

The price is reasonable i think i paid around 20 pounds a night, something like that it is close to cassemates square for the centre of gibraltar, owner is a pleasant fella.

This is the ONLY hostel in gibraltar, there are hostels in nearby la linea but i have heard bad reports of the town especially at night.

richard
2016-06-14
Age 42 | england

Very basic for its price; central location

Very very basic hostel with basic facilities for its price. Central location. Lumpy mattress. No lockers. Helpful stuff.

Filippo
2014-09-26
Age 43 | Italy

Average but a roof over your head

To be fair its basic and a roof over your head. If your looking for something basic then go for this if your looking for a 4 star hotel then go for a 4 star hotel. Bit pricey though for what it is but had a good time there.

Jay
2013-11-14
Age 22 | United Kingdom

Average, but satisfactory accommodation

Very good location. The establishment is modest but satisfactory. Cheep when compared to Gibraltar prices. Best for young and solo travelers.

Ognian Jeliazkov
2012-06-19
Canada

Emile Youth Hostel is Gibraltar's only humble accommodation, although the price may not seem so humble. While this hostel beats any other place nearby in terms of price, don't expect anything more than a hostel.

Located in the center of Gibraltar, Emile Youth Hostel is right across the street from the main shopping square. With Gibraltar being so small, you can get anywhere with about fifteen minutes' walk.

The hostel is not too difficult to find. Once you cross the border into Gibraltar, just keep walking along the path until you reach the airport runway. Once you cross the runway you'll find yourself on the main road, Winston Churchill Avenue. Continue walking down this road until it forks three ways -- here you will need to take the middle road (don't follow the traffic turning right). Continue up this middle road and continue walking until you pass a bridge. Once you pass the bridge, you will find Emile Youth Hostel on your right-hand side, right across from Pizza Hut.

This hostel has a total of forty-two beds to offer, most of them in co-ed dorm rooms. Linens come free, but towels are not available. The rooms are spacious and well-kept, but quite modest. The bathrooms are shared among all the guests. In the main building there is one male toilet and one female toilet. The shower rooms are also separated by gender; however, the showers themselves are communal. So don't be expecting any privacy while you're showering.

The main common spaces are an outdoor patio and a dining room/cafe. There is a kitchen, but it is off-limits to guests. Feel free to purchase breakfast from the cafe -- prices are relatively cheap compared to the rest of Gibraltar. The outdoor patio consists of a table, large umbrella, and a few chairs where you can sit and soak in the fresh Mediterranean air.

Summary

Gibraltar is a unique place with a unique blend of English and Spanish identity and culture. Be warned though -- things are quite expensive, which is why this hostel may not have prices as cheap as you'd like them. If you're looking to save some money, Emile Youth Hostel is your smartest (and only) option in Gibraltar. The place is family-run and the owners are quite friendly -- that's a plus!

Joel Hage
2011-09-11

Great friendly hostel

Great friendly hostel situated in centre of town. Basic hostel but very clean. there is also free wi-fi included. loved my stay.

2011-06-21
English

Only budget option in Gibraltar

We stayed here as this was the cheapest option in Gibraltar. On arrival, had to wait outside and call the bell several times to be let in. To be honest it was not clean, breakfast room had flies buzzing around, tv blaring from lounge until early hours, and staff were very unhelpful (he seemed more interested in taking one girl who was staying there on a date than being present to help everyone else!). Location is good though, opposite main square and shopping street. We weren't expecting 5 star service like a big hotel but for 17 a night I have stayed in much better hostels. Ok if you just want a bed for the night but if you can afford a couple more pounds for a decent place, its worth it.

2011-03-30
UK

Worst Hostel Experience!

I stayed at Emile during the off season (early March) and had the worst hostel experience of my life here. I had a poor reception with unfriendly staff. Breakfast advertised on the website was not served. I stayed in a private room and the communal shower/bath had no hot water in the showers or sinks in the toilet stalls. There were no hand washing soap or rubbish bins anywhere in the building either. When asking about the lack of hot water for showers, the staff blamed me for not going over, across the courtyard to ask about it, despite the fact that is was before office hours and I had no way of knowing if anyone was there. The response of the staff, the blaming, the lack of hot water, and no food when advertised leads me to recommend staying else where. I met other backpackers in the city that day and they found a hotel room with a full breakfast for just 2 pounds more. To say the least, I was ripped off and denied the chance to speak to a manager!

2011-03-18
American

Emile Youth Hostel Reviews from the Web

The owner and his family are very helpfull and friendly! The place is alright.

Showers and Toiletts need some work/remodeling.

Sadly there are no lockers in the room and the opportunity to give valuables to the owner is a nice gesture, but he cant be there all the time and one might the laptop or anything in the middle of the night.

Also there is no fridge for the guests, which doesnt feel like a hugh investment to me.

All in all, the stay was alright. Concidering the money I payed for it, I would expect more.

hanneskraeuter8686
2022-07-23

Fantastic accommodation - value for money - great location - wonderful hosts

bronsteve1057
2022-07-15

I really enjoyed my stay here. It had a really nice atmosphere and was close to everything. The guy that checked me in was very friendly. 10/10 would recommend

lincymonicamoonen7534
2022-07-09

A great group of guys to talk with.

geoff19wood4069
2022-07-01

The only hostel in Gibraltar, so with nothing to compare, it was a decent place. Not recommended for long stays. Moderately clean, but poorly ventilated and smells were an issue. No issue with employees, though security was an issue. No lockers. However, Gibraltar is a low crime location, so I felt entirely safe. More of a backpacker and overnight placenot limited to students, but if you are looking to visit on a budget, its the only place available.

brandonblair219513
2022-06-22

THEY WOULDNT LET ME STAY AS IM DISABLED HOWEVER I LEFT SEVERAL BAGS OF BELONGINGS THERE, ALL MY WINTER CLOTHES.. I AM NOW INLONDON. HOSTELWORLD PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME AND FIND OUT IF MY THINGS ARE STILL There so I can get them?

Please help me

Thanks

Karen

karentarifa6750
2022-06-01

The hostel was very basic. There were no lockers to store your belongings in. No fans in the room so it was very hot in the room. The bathrooms weren't clean. The shared kitchen was closed for some reason.

alisondeg
2022-05-30

One of the more expensive hostels I stayed at during my trip (GBP. Pros- location can't be better; directly across from Grand Casemates Square, 20 min walk from La Linea Border crossing. Generally clean and well maintained facilities. Staff was friendly enough. Cons- very bare bones, mostly just a place to sleep and shower. Don't expect much of a social vibe here.

georgye1462653
2022-05-28

The couple running the Hostel are terrific hosts. They are helpful, friendly and professional. I would highly recommend them. Great location on Gibralter.

sherlockgolfer3738
2022-05-18

Strange hostel, not really much of a "backpacker" vibe here. To get to my room I had to go through a children's nursery playground? And there are no lockers, but it was clean and plenty of bathrooms.

ALongmore
2022-05-16

My stay was so amazing! It's in such a good location to see everything, the staff was so nice. I was traveling already for 2 weeks and this was the first place that had a washing machine but not only that for 5 they did everything, washed an ironed, I received the clothes the next day while I could just go on about my day, it was fantastic and I definitely recommend this place to anyone. The value for money is great.

a2bgfuN6eWcA6shZ
2022-05-12

Great hostel. Central to everything, clean rooms.

awyGq5QeTtFPLgve
2022-05-11

Pretty basic but clean and functional, great location is a plus.

dannypattenden9107
2022-05-02

No-frills hostel with a 1980s vibe.

a0QZEVHBlTRyLRRe
2022-04-22

Absolutely great place. The owner as well as the rest of the staff are absolutely wonderful. The place is cozy and the cheapest you can find on Gibraltar. The owner can also answer any questions you have about where to go or what to do. A few things to keep in mind: This is not a party hostel. The atmosphere is very chill and low-key. Also, there is no kitchen for guest use (this is actually clear in the listing - don't be like me and overlook it!). Definitely stay here, 100%.

BrandonGauthier
2022-04-14

Basic but clean and comfortable, staff are very helpful. No complaints

Lfindlay764520
2022-03-23

hot showers, ideal location, clean facilities.. it was a quiet when i was there as i was the only ind booked in.

Definitely would return if i visit Gibraltar again.

ashworthbaron
2022-03-14

Our short stay in Emile hostel was great, especially because of lovely, helpful staff. Thank you Gizel and Abdelilah for you great help, we won't forget it :)

We highly recommend staying at Emile hostel!

martasevcova2133
2022-02-23

The Emile was clean, quiet and safe. The staff was accommodating, inviting and very helpful. The location was ideal as it was located in the main center of town and easy to get to by public transportation and walking. Close to National Park! I had a great stay and would definitely stay there again! Great time!

Mborjas614
2022-02-16

Next time I would rather stay on the Spanish side and walk across the border for the day. Its way to expensive for what you get, the facilities were not very great and old and all the people were older men, so that I as a female solo traveller didnt really feel comfortable. However, everyone was very friendly to me.

mareigoe104
2022-02-04

The Emile Hostel is situated in the heart of town within walking distance of all tourist attractions, shopping area, restaurants, and just 30 seconds away from Casemates square where you have a variety of pubs. Here we have dormitory rooms, doubles and single rooms available.

Our facilities include 42 beds, showers, free linen and duvets, left luggage, tourist information, and other amenities. Our professional and friendly staff will provide you with excellent information on what to do and see. Excursions in Gibraltar, Spain and Morocco can also be arranged.

The hostel is a family operated business offering an excellent customer service in a relaxed and multicultural atmosphere.

Please note:

We have a 72 hours cancellation policy
Cash payment only on arrival
Check In Time: 13:00
Check Out Time: 10:30

We also take group bookings in which we can provide with kitchen facilities. We are open 7 days a week from 8:00am to 11:00pm.

We are just 30minutes walk from the boarder (frontier) where you can also get a taxi or bus which will bring you to the location.

Address: Montagu Bastion, 25 Line Wall Road, Montagy Bastion, Gibraltar, Gibraltar

Emile Youth Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub

Website Emile Youth Hostel Gibraltar (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +350 20051106

Digital Nomads

ATM

Meeting/Banquet facilities

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 11 PM (08:00-23:00)

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Emile Youth Hostel