Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, Amsterdam

Amsterdam Oud-Zuid
6.5

Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam rated on booking websites?

Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam Reviews

Below average

Ok for a night. But cramped space, no common area, and too small bathrooms.

MS
2018-04-29
Age 30

Didn’t Let Me In, Then Blamed Me for Knocking! (Happens "Once a Day")

Do not stay here if you want to be able to enter your room without a massive confrontation! When I checked in, I was told that guests do not receive a key to the front door, but that this was not a problem because "someone is always here." This proved not to be the case at a time no later than midnight; when I rang the doorbell, no answer. I rang again, and again, again. Then I knocked on the door, loudly enough that someone inside could have heard me. Immediately the person at the counter poked his head outside, but instead of opening the door, he said, "c'mon, man, we have a doorbell!" I told him I rang the doorbell four times and had not been allowed in -- he seemed previously unaware of this, which supports my theory that the doorbell was broken. I really believe that if I hadn't knocked, I would have been standing there all night. He said "we have neighbors," as if the noise of my knocking was the loudest thing happening on that Amsterdam street. Ironically, he was shouting this to me out the window! He told me to relax, at which point I told him I would relax as soon as he allowed me to enter the hostel where I had paid to stay, which he still hadn't done! This back-and-forth lasted about a minute. Then he finally told me to ring the doorbell again so I could enter. I did, but then he asked me to ring it another time, further evidence that he wasn't able to hear the doorbell. However buzzing me in did work, he didn't have to come down. When I entered the hostel I stated that it was unacceptable that no one had been there to answer the doorbell as promised. By this time he had a story that he had gone to help another guest with his beds, as if that was supposed to make it okay that no one was there to let me in. I do not believe this because he did not respond to the doorbell four times, but then immediately responded when I knocked audibly on the door, which seems very coincidental. In any case, I reminded him that it was not my responsibility if the hostel did not have adequate staffing such that one employee could be assisting guests while another was allowing them to enter! He eventually told me "you are right" (as if that was in question) but kept telling me condescendingly to "calm down" instead of in any way apologizing for failing to live up to the hostel's basic obligation to allow its paying guests to enter the premises! At that point someone else (who may or may not have been a member of the hotel staff) chimed in to say that situations like this happen "once a day." That suggests to me that they happen at least once a day. It is likely that I was speaking at a higher volume than normal, and I was certainly upset about the situation, but what I actually said wasn't disrespectful until the end of the confrontation, when my gracious host told me I could have damaged the door by knocking, at which point I told him that was bull$#%* and he was full of $#%* and walked upstairs to my room. Either the door is so weak that it can't withstand a knock (in which case I would advise not staying there for security reasons!) or he was making something up to try to win a pointless fight he had started with me. So by all means stay at Cosmos Hotel if you look forward to being treated in this way.

jacob
2015-07-21

Acceptable

Location -- It's a 20-30 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal. It's right on the 5 line though. This is a plus and a minus. If you want to party, it puts you a long walk away from where the coffee shops and red light district. If you want to be in a slightly quieter neighborhood or next to the museums, this is a good spot. Staff -- My interactions with them were great. They were friendly and full of good advice. Stairs -- They're steep. That's par for the course for Amsterdam though. I had no trouble with them. Big bags might be tough to haul up to the third floor. Common area -- It's tiny and not much of a place to hang out and socialize. Bathrooms -- There are 3 for the whole place. They're modern. The showers had a button you needed to keep pressing to keep the water flowing. The top bathroom smelled awful for the entirety of my 4 night stay.

Brian
2015-06-03
Age 33 | USA

Unaccommodating; bad vibe

Most unaccommodating hostel I've ever stayed in. No breakfast, somewhat unfriendly staff, no cancelation (even in advance), gross showers, won't print an eticket for you (you have to pay to use the computer and then to use the printer), hardly a lounging area to meet people or hang out. Not a very good vibe in the place. I was supposed to stay here for three nights and I left a day early. I hated it. Granted, apparently they warn you of these things on their website (no breakfast), but I didn't catch it before I got there. They do have a fairly good location and wifi works in the room, but that's pretty much all they have going for them. Wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.

Amber
2013-12-22

Not bad, Not good

Good -- The staff were pretty friendly, it was affordable, and pretty quiet at night. Bad -- The room was very hot and the windows didn't open, there was literally nothing complimentary there, not even hot water. You have to climb the sketchiest steepest stairs in the world to get into the hostel, and the common room was pretty lame. But it wasn't a terrible experience, but definitely nothing to brag about.

Ben
2013-11-26
Age 20 | U.S.A.

Friendly Staff, Good Location, Tight Space

The staff here were the friendliest and most helpful I've encountered at any hostel. They took the time to help me find restaurants, ATMs, and pretty much anything I asked about. The location was great, just a quick walk from Central Station, close enough to a main road to feel relatively safe at night. The street was pretty quiet at night too. The bedroom was kind of tight, but clean -- I didn't spend much time there except for sleeping. There are no lockers under the beds, but there are small lockers for valuables (would fit things like an iPad, laptop, passport). The staff seemed to know who belonged in what room, so I felt ok about leaving my possessions of marginal value under the bed. The shower was nothing special, having hot water, and not on a timer, was really all I was looking for. The common room right by reception is quite small as well, you'll bang your shins on the coffee table trying to sit down on the couch, so I don't think there's much in the way of hanging out, but as a place to lay your head at night this place is great.

Gustav
2013-10-04
Age 31 | USA

Nice place with helpful staff

Hostel was clean and decent though little congested and staff where very helpful in all matters. Overall it was good stay at Janson Hostel.

Prashanth NS
2013-10-03
Age 25 | Indian

Hot and crowded

hot, crowded, cramped and no amenities. Staff is very friendly and location couldn't be better, but the overall discomfort of the place isn't worth it.

e
2013-07-25
Age 24 | usa

Thank you for choosing Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam! Our hostel is located in the most central area of Amsterdam, just walking distance to The Van Gogh museum,Rijks museum,I Amsterdam sign,Concert building,Vondel park.

All you need is just minutes away and the city's hotspots are all walkable from here. Save money since you don't need to pay for transportation when you stay with us! Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam is a cool little youth hostel. The friendly atmosphere and generous hospitality have drawn guests back to our hostel over and over again. We're also more than happy to assist you with your day trips, pointing out the highlights of the city and help you out in finding your way in Amsterdam.

Our hostel is also the permanent residence of Simba, the house cat. Any guest who may be allergic to cats should be mindful of this before booking their stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you to Amsterdam and the Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam!

Video of Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam

Here is a video of Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam. The video gives you a better understanding of what you can expect.

Address: Frans van Mierisstraat 69 A, Amsterdam Oud-Zuid, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands

Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam is listed on the following booking sites:

Genders: Males & Females

Max. Age: 40

Note: Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam reserves the right to pre-authorize your card

Maximum Stay: 5 nights

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam