8.1

Safestay York is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com Hostelworld HostelsClub

How is Safestay York rated on booking websites?

Safestay York Reviews

Wow, Safestay York is fancy -- dare we say even posh. For the bargain price of a dorm bed, you get to stay in a historic, cool mansion. We are impressed.

York is pretty tiny, at least the touristic part of it, so everything is within walking distance. You can pretty much get everywhere by walking for just about ten minutes -- it's very cool! The train station is really close, as is the historic center. It even looks completely safe even at really odd hours at night.

Like everything else here, the dorms are so fancy -- even the linen looks relatively royal. The beds are pretty comfortable and sturdy, although some of the mattresses kind of sink in the middle, and there are great thick blankets! There are individual lights and power points for all beds. There are even curtains for privacy. There's not enough space for little things -- we would have loved some shelves -- but it is what it is. There's plenty of space on the floor, though; the rooms are very spacious, with high ceilings, big windows, lots of light, and even a full-size mirror! We feel pampered here.

There is one tiny toilet and shower for the whole twelve-bed dorm, which is not great. There are some communal toilets, but not on all floors, and we couldn't find the communal showers, even though we've been promised they exist. The shape of the toilet and showers is ok, but not great; it's all a bit old and gets clogged very quickly, but it's not the end of the world.

There aren't many common spaces to hang out, and we ended up lazing in our comfy beds, just chilling during the day. There is the breakfast area, which is also sort of a kitchenette you can use the rest of the day, but it's not really a place to hang out. By the way, breakfast is available for extra cost (not included in your stay). There is a small bar/lounge -- it's cute, but small.

Summary

We like this place a lot. It's not the most convenient, and the facilities are a bit outdated, but that is to be expected when you're staying in an old house, built in the eighteenth century! We do love what they've done with the place, as it boasts loads of character and a very chic style.
#
Markovka
Published on 2017-06-06

Cheap and nice

Good price, good breakfast. Small bathroom for 10 people, Club near the building, lot of noise until more than 2:30 am. I would prefer a different room, but I would repeat!

Alba
2013-05-27
Age 26 | Spain

Perfect place to stay

Ace York is one of the best hostel in UK, i can say. Breakfast was perfect, staff was very helpful and friendly. The building and decoration inside (like a small museum) was so attractive and made me want to spend more time in hostel rather than going out. I love Ace York, definitely recommend!!

Shannon
2012-05-09
Taiwan

Unforgettable experience

It was ok for the price I suppose, but there's one thing I'd like to highlight -- the smell in the room where I was with other seventeen people was not something the hostel must be proud of. The staff was ok, sleepy though. If you go with friends and want to have fun, then try it! You'll never forget it!

Magda
2008-07-05
Argentina

All round average

Very Average all round, not too much to complain about but not much to rave about either. Was on the pricey side at 14.60 (I guess this could just be English prices) for a room with over twenty beds and the free breakfast is pretty much a joke. It is, however in a great location and has pretty good cooking facilities.

Christopher
2007-08-12
New Zealand

I wasn't expecting miracles, but this was a surprisingly good hostel. It the closest I have been to a proper backpacker hostel in the last couple of weeks traveling. It had a wide range of people staying and it wasn't overrun by long term migrant workers, a problem that has plagued backpacker hostels recently in this country. The staff were very friendly and the place was pretty clean. It's not a party hostel and the corridors can seem a bit empty but there is usually always someone to chat to especially in the kitchen. There is a lot of information about York in the hostel too. The beds are not as bad as some have said and the rooms were fairly well spaced. My only minor gripes were that the showers were a bit cold and I think a key entry or swipe card system would have been better for entry to the hostel than having to knock on the door all the time. But overall I enjoyed my stay at York backpackers and York is a beautiful city too!

BUCKSBY
2007-04-05
UK

We stayed here in October, in a female dorm room. There were no locks on the doors, but I put some stuff in the safe, and was impressed with the way they handled it (took my name, made me sign when it was returned to me, gave me a card with a number, much better than some other hostels). Rooms were clean, as was the kitchen, the toilets and the showers. Showers were ok, although the water pressure wasn't the best in the world. Sheets were clean, although extremely hard to sleep in. Location was good, close walk into the main center of town. Overall, good hostel, worth the money. As a side note, I recommend the ghost tour that leaves from the Minster, was only 2 (student), very interesting and enjoyable.

Bobbi from Australia
2005-10-14

York Backpackers is a friendly and attractive hostel near the edge of a fascinating city. It's a little hard to spot - look up for the sign, and it's across the street from Holy Trinity Church. Though there are no locks on room doors, and no lockers anywhere, access to the hostel is via guest pass only, and the door is guarded closely (after 10 pm you must wait for the night watchman to unlock the door). If you arrive early or depart late you can leave your bags in the unlocked laundry room for free, but at least there is a safe at reception for valuables.

There are three floors of co-ed rooms (some dorms with up to 18 beds!), all named after York attractions and with high, decorated ceilings, big windows and plenty of space. While the beds are warm and clean, make sure you get one with a new mattress or you will feel every spring all night long. There is no lift access, and showers and toilets are only available on the second floor, which leads to crowding. The bathrooms are frequently cleaned, as is the rest of the hostel.

On the ground floor is reception, with lots of brochures and very helpful staff. Internet in the hostel is expensive, but staff can direct you to cheap cafes. There is a small but clean kitchen with many appliances, and the breakfast room, which serves a decent meal every day, is also here.

Downstairs there's a laundry room, a TV lounge, and Dungeons Bar (open 10pm-1am). The TV room is non-smoking, and, though quite small, is the only lounge. People gather here to eat and socialize, and solo travelers will have no trouble finding good conversation. The guests-only smoky bar varies in popularity nightly, and offers many cheap drinks. Guests include a core of long-term residents, groups, and travelers from all over the world. With large dorms and only one common area, it is easy to meet people. Most guests are travelers exploring the UK, and the overall atmosphere of the hostel is welcoming and inclusive.

Jessica Johnson
2005-05-07

The location and staff are spot-on at this hostel! In fact, these were the two things that kept me there past the first night. The bathrooms are not clean and the showers provide little more than a warm trickle. I've stayed in other hostels that also do not have locks on the bedroom doors and all of them have felt much more secure than this one. There are no keys to the front doors and after the office closes, any person who rings the doorbell is let into the building. There is a club next door that pumps music into the hostel until 2 in the morning. With a few days' experience there, I'm fairly certain that the sheets are not changed between guests. But, like I said, the friendliness and quality of staff and location did make up for these downfalls.

2005-02-12

Safestay York Reviews from the Web

I stayed in this Hostel for one night. The location is very central and about a 10min walk from the train station. It is an old building and that's very sweet. I felt safe in cute York. The room was very big for a 8-Dorm :) The en-suite bathroom however was an afterwards added built-in bath that's like a container with a tiny sink. That's sad because there is enough space for a nice bathroom... The communal toilet was rather not so clean when i went there once.

Friendly staff and cheap room!

sophieschindler
2022-08-03

Good hostel, friendly feel. Dorm was big with lots of beds, bathroom was a disappointment (one shower/toilet for 10 ppl, bad drainage, no screen or curtain so everything wet and damp)

emr619_6645
2022-07-30

Our dorm was clean, comfortable, airy and spacious. Will definitely be booking again!

darrenhunter8381
2022-07-23

Beautiful place, nice staff, good size eating area, tiny terrace with sunshine no common room to hang out in,

but all the cool people were in my room

ilankreijer9690
2022-07-22

Nice place, although I spent only 6 hours inside because of late arrival and an early departure. Friendly staff accommodated my arrival, thanks for it! I just regret the behaviour of one of my dorm mates, who made noise from 5.00 to 5.45, searching in his bag, and re-packing things for 45 min. This is in contrast to me getting ready outside my room before entering and being ready to sleep in less than 5 min.

mathieusoetens38
2022-07-22

The hostel is good value, however the rooms were very warm and my bed didnt have a power plug close to it. Theres also not much atmosphere, but staff was very helpful

a5vIGWJsFRpmE98P
2022-07-21

The hostel has a very good location and is not far from the old town and the train station. The staff was very friendly and even shared some secret tips for the city with the guests. The rooms are large, clean and have curtains on the beds. i felt very comfortable.

chiara24
2022-07-20

Really nice place especially for the price. Great location, felt very safe and friendly staff. Shower was clean but freezing cold both times I used it and my hostel mate said it was cold in the morning as well.

alexandrapetre19949736
2022-07-18

Lovely staff, fantastic location.

silveralexandria6500
2022-07-09

Great hostel in a fab location. Staff were very helpful and we had a hassle free stay. Would definitely recommend.

rickbennett143
2022-07-09

We stayed here for a couple of nights in a lovely private room(ensuite) with a view over York. Amazing historic old carved bed. Tea & coffee making making facilities in the room plus a large dining room, with microwave downstairs. It exceeded our expectations. Our bikes were placed in a safe storage room and entry to the hotel was via card only, truly a safe stay. Friendly staff. Thank you so much.

Mature Cycling couple.

jackiesyd3076
2022-07-05

Wasnt super clean and was frustrated because the wifi simply did not reach to our bedroom and the en-suite shower was broken while there. We had to go and use the common bathroom to shower and such.

samarab
2022-07-04

I found the Safestay hostel in York a pleasurable place to spend some time and have a bed! The building itself is right out of a period drama, with sweeping staircase and ceilings with attractive mounding. Most of all, the staff were helpful and friendly. Overall, there was a nice peaceful atmosphere and the location is good for getting to the main attractions. Recommended.

silverplanet1109
2022-06-28

No hot water in the bath room

marcotszwai5621
2022-06-27

Friendly staff, special thanks to Laurine !

Great hostel

jeremie-p6011
2022-06-24

Superb value,excellant facilities,fully recommend.

Oiltanker87159
2022-06-22

Not the best bathroom but great beds and a really nice building in general. A solid nights stay.

aXh6oKT9QCmCDd4t
2022-06-16

Unfortunately we were put in a basement room which smelt and felt damp. The bedding was damp too. There were two small oil filled radiators in there only one of which worked and was a waste of time.

I was told at booking that there was a bike store. We ended up having to carry our bikes down fire escape stairs to the basement and keep them in our room.

The noise from above our room was horrendous but the staff moved them into the front bar so we could sleep. Overall not a pleasant experience af

chrisorr2744213
2022-06-11

I have been staying in hotels and bed and breakfasts always when Im back in the uk, but through chance and luck as one week all hotels and bed and breakfasts was fully booked I decided to stay in my first hostel which was the accommodation safestay in York , and it turned to be the biggest blessing and eye opener regards hostel accommodation with fantastic facilities professional and helpful and caring. The staff were so friendly and helpful. I couldnt recommend this place enough.

jhedgecox1360
2022-06-09

I had only stayed for one night. But it was a terrible experience. False fire alarm 3,4 time, each time last for 2-8mins between 9pm-11pm during my stay.

Pros: Closed to train station

Phoebeshek
2022-06-05

Set in a 16th century Georgian Town house, Safestay York offers affordable dormitories and private rooms in a superb location. Enjoy a continental breakfast in the large airy dining room or an evening drink in the fully licensed bar, the reception friendly team are on hand 24 hours a day for your comfort & security. Set just 7 minutes from York train station & a 5-10 minute walk from the city centre this hostel is the perfect base for exploring this beautiful city

From York railway station and coach stop, turn right outside the station, walk for 2 minutes (200 metres)and take the first left turn (at the traffic lights). Walk through Micklegate Bar (the royal entrance to the city!) and we are another two minutes walk down Micklegate, on the left hand side.

Address: Micklegate House, 88-90 Micklegate, York, North Yorkshire, England

Safestay York is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com HostelsClub