Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage, London

8.5

A True Boutique Hostel

Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage rated on booking websites?

Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage Reviews

A good inexpensive hostel with comfortable dorm bed and room near unde

I stayed in this hostel for one night and had a good night's sleep. Stayed in 10-bed dorm. Very comfy bed, wooden bunk beds. Carpet on floor in room and corridors. Shared bathrooms at end of each corridor. Several toilet stalls, 3 showers, 2-3 sinks, soap and hand dryer in bathroom. Very clean. Room is clean, sheets on bed with blanket. heading throught the hostel. Slow lift/elevator to all floors, including underground pub/bar. Pub serves food until 9-10 pm. 24-hour reception. Walk from Swiss Cottage Underground or Finchley Road Underground stations. Roughly 5-minute walk. Hostel just off College Crescent Road.

Would stay again. 10 bed dorm 12 per night. Breakfast 5.90 extra.

Tony
2019-12-22
Age 41 | England

Generally good

Good -- Location and helpfulness of staff. Supermarkets abound nearby, easy access to public transportation. Not so good -- dorms too small for the number of people. Dining area "picnic benches" very uncomfortable for an adult. Best suited to 10-year-olds. Self-catering kitchen is a joke -- tiny, ill (if at all) equipped. No dishes, no utensils, frigs overflowing, paltry space for storing goods. One of the worst I've seen of late. In competition with the in-house bar/snack bar explains a lot, but it's not as one might expect of a hostel of this size.

2016-10-13
Age 60 | usa

Best hostel in London I've stayed

Like every hostel in London this one too is completely overpriced (50 Euros for a 6 bed dorm. Seriously?), but among outrageous options this is the best. The location is good if not great (4-5 minutes to the Tube station and another couple of minutes to get into the main part of the city). The house is very nice, by far the best I've seen, and the beds are comparatively comfortable and non-creaking. They also have curtains which is a benefit when you want to sleep. The staff I was in contact with were friendly and helpful. Also there are lockers below the beds, so bring a lock and use it at all times.

Johannes
2015-09-28
Age 34 | Germany

Cool room

The room I stayed in was cool, 21 female dorm, had curtains on every bed for your privacy, and a place to store your valuables. My suitcase couldnt fit in this place like it did in my other hostel so I put all that I wanted locked up in the box by my bed, my suitcase at the bottom. My bed was one of the ones that had the lock box beside not under the bed so I couldn't try to slide my suitcase under the bed. There was air conditioning but it was to loud apparently so we kept it off, I never heard it on. It was on low so the small room that it was contained in wqs cooler, and there were two fans by the door so those beds were cool. My bed wasn't bad but definitely not cool, could have complained and made my roommates move at least one of the fans but I'm too polite. Front desk staff said things matter of factly without further explanation, but I'm sure if I pushed they would have described it more. Great place to stay, would highly recommend it, very clean. They clean the bathrooms and showers a lot so it is wonderfully clean!

samara
2014-07-26
Age 21 | Canadian

Palmers Lodges - Swiss Cottage is a clean, easily accessible hostel with most of the amenities a backpacker or traveler needs. Unfortunately, it is one of the less social hostels that we've seen and improvements could be made to the rooms' setup to better promote meeting other travelers.

Palmers Lodges - Swiss Cottage is located close to the Swiss Cottage underground station. It is easy to access from most of London because the Tube is quick and easy to use. However, it is not a great location if you plan on partying late, because the Tube trains stop running around midnight, and the Palmers Lodge is in a more residential area.

We stayed in the eighteen-bed dorm room, which was actually a tall room divided into two levels with a subfloor halfway up the room. This means that some people may need to climb a set of stairs to get to their beds. It also means that the beds are single beds rather than bunk beds, which is nice. The beds are all outfitted with curtains on all sides, so you have privacy when sleeping. Strangely, the curtains are fixed and cannot easily be kept open. There is a bar located in the basement that has an outdoor seating area, which is right next to the room we stayed in, so there is some noise late into the night. There are two very large lockers underneath each bed, which can be used to store fairly large suitcases. You must use your own lock.

The bathrooms are very clean and there are many bathrooms throughout the hostel. There are plentiful showers. One downside is that the showers are on a very short delay, so you have to constantly hold the button or keep hitting the button over and over when showering. The delay is very, very short, so it can get fairly annoying.

There is a very large lounge with plenty of sitting space and computers for use. There is free tea provided and free Wi-Fi throughout the building. The hostel is not very social, as the seating is set up in a way such that people tend to sit apart from each other. Socialization in the rooms is also difficult due to the curtains. You can never tell if anyone is in the room trying to sleep because sleepers and empty beds alike look the same to you when walking into the room. Thus, there is very little talking in the rooms and most people whisper if they have to talk.

Summary

If you know what to expect, Palmers Lodges can be an excellent choice for someone looking for a clean, friendly, and safe hostel.

James
2014-07-05

Fairly good, but some quibbles

The Palmer's Lodge is a pretty comfortable hostel with a slew of amenities and lots of beds and is located close to a tube station. Unfortunately, it falls short in a few ways. My room was right by the outdoor seating area for the bar, and it was very loud at night on the weekends. The bathrooms are far away from many of the rooms and the showers, while they say should stay on for 30 seconds, actually stay on for about 2 seconds, so you have to shower while holding the button down all the time. You can only connect one device to the wifi using your password that you're given, so you have to constantly log in over and over if you have a phone and a laptop. On the other hand, the facilities are clean and the rooms are secure. The beds and lockers are good quality. It is a fairly antisocial hostel, as the beds have curtains on them and you can never tell if someone is trying to sleep in the room. Thus, people don't really talk in the rooms, or if they have to, just whisper. The common areas are comfortable, but again, people seem to keep to themselves.

#
James
2014-06-09
Age 24 | USA

Time Spent Limited

I didn't spend a lot of time at Palmers. The accommodations were fine. I liked having a curtain around the bed and a bed light to put on in order to navigate in the dark when others were asleep. I probably ought to have stayed in a room that held less than 14 females to avoid the nuisances of having to share space. The showers and bathrooms were clean. Breakfast was simple (toast, croissants, tea, coffee). The common area was usually busy at night, which meant there weren't enough working outlets to plug in electronics. The help at the desk was wonderful. They were friendly and tried to help out to the best of their ability. The location of Palmers is convenient. It is a two minute walk from the Underground. One can walk to Primrose Hill, Hyde Park, and Regent from Palmers rather than taking a bus, the Underground. If flying in from Heathrow, the total time spent on the Underground was about 1 hr to reach Palmers.

Rebecca
2012-12-03
American

A hostel of character rather than characters.

This is about the 11th hostel I've stayed in London and it's definitely one of the best (though I've yet to find a great hostel in London). It's an interesting place with a lot of nice, well-thought-out touches. I tend to put hostels into 4 categories -- the nice but often dull, the chain hostels, the independent backpackers, and the ropey but interesting'. The very best are always one of the latter two and have reviews varying wildly from 5 stars to 1. Palmers Lodge is a nice but dull, but to call it dull would be a little harsh. It's no party hostel but if you head to the bar there are a few comfy seats where you can sit around and chat to fellow travelers. The busiest room is the lounge upstairs. While it's nice there was virtually no conversation going on in there all weekend. The hostel location is good though. The tube is close by and although there's not a great deal in the immediate area it is close to some great suburbs in London -- It's a nice walk over Primrose Hill to Camden town, via Chalk Farm tube. This will give you a good feel for north London -- The dorms are 3 high but have curtains and feel private. The higher beds also have shelves for storing belongings overnight and the lockers for bags are a reasonable size. There are lots of showers and the place in general is very clean, though closing bathrooms for cleaning before checkout times is not particularly clever. It could be great but they would benefit from organising social activities in the lounge area. Something free or cheap each night which would bring people together to socialise more. The biggest negative for this hostel was the lack of plugs for charging phones. Unless you're in the bottom bunk there just isn't anywhere to charge them and with the reliance we have on our phones nowadays they need to address this. Every night I was sat on a bench on the stairs because it was the only accessible plug. With being in a public place you can't just leave you phone to charge so you have to sit with it. I would stay here again but other hostels may be better. 4 stars for a London hostel, but compared to hostels in other cities I'd give it 3.5.

G
2012-08-07
British

Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage Reviews from the Web

I had decent stay at Palmers Lodge; it helped that I had a private room which included towels and my own bathroom. The bedroom and bathroom were both clean and comfortable; I was unable to turn off the overhead light in the bathroom because I just couldn't find a switch, but by closing the bathroom door, I wasn't bothered. What did bother me is Palmers Lodge did not offer complementary bag storage between the time I checked out and the time I officially left. I would still return again.

RTID1982
2022-07-26

This was our favorite hostel we've stayed at so far!!! The rooms are really spacious and it really feels like you have your own privacy.

lenaleland9574
2022-07-25

Very nice place to stay

troymgage9329
2022-07-23

This was my first hostel on my trip around Europe and I absolutely loved it! The building is beautiful and cozy. The rooms are very well equipped. The guests and staff are lovely and friendly. It was the best possible start to my journey!

aliciacolohere
2022-07-23

Great and all that you need,

Staff were great

Location was awesome

Although for nearly 50 in an 18bed mixed dorm I would have liked a towel to shower. I think its over priced. However everything was nice. Clean and helpful

rachaeljohnson19939967
2022-07-23

My stay at this hostel was amazing! I made so many amazing friends and the staff were incredible! Shout out to Stefano and Alex for being so welcoming and showing me around London. I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking to be social and make new friends!

rileystoff20015626
2022-07-20

The hostel, all in all, is good. The beds have curtains for privacy, spacious lockers, clean and comfortable beds and a lovely outdoor area. There were a few drawbacks that I did not like, unfortunately. The kitchen is so tiny for a hostel. The bathrooms are way far away from my dorm, there are few of them, and most of them are unisex. Also, the dorm was so hot at night, and we couldn't open the window entirely.

Ahmedkhalifah12
2022-07-20

Great place! Super close to the Swiss Cottage tube stop and really cool building.

masonlehman92346
2022-07-18

A very cool building! I stayed in the 14 girl dorm and it was a lot of people but the layout of the room was nice. Bar and restaurant downstairs a cool place to socialize! Everything was very clean.

kmggmk01231530
2022-07-16

I'm a solo traveler, this was my first stay at hostel. Stayed 4 nights spread over 2 visits. Felt very safe in the 6 bed dorm. People are happy to chat, but no one bothers you, which helped me as an introvert. Curtains help with privacy. Showers are shared but there are enough, I never had to wait. On my 2nd visit, they messed up my reservation, which was inconvenient. There was a guy who came in at 3 am, talked loud and disturbed my sleep. Breakfast is overrated for 6.50. Overall great place!

awXCUI2e11j1s1u3
2022-07-15

The first time was OK, however, on my arrival the receptionist tried to make me a problem for my request about lower dorm bed, as I am disabled person.

Furthermore, I decided to return as a guest for second time, as some of the facilities are comfy. However, thenew room is smaller without possibility for opening a window, and a guy which is feeling unwell and with continuing cough, with 11 people in the same room, for which the same receptionist is unable to take any responsibility or help.

locoloco32
2022-07-12

Great location next to multiple underground stations. Cool building with nice bar area. Breakfast was good. Room/bathrooms were clean. No AC was tough but the UK isnt meant to have that kind of heat so its understandable. Overall would recommend and would stay again.

maddywaller9798
2022-07-11

Such a cute hostel, great location youre right by the underground that will take you anywhere. Also the staff is very friendly, loved my stay at this hostel would definitely come back.

emzavala78475
2022-07-11

The rooms are so small, so bad, so hoy, so packed of beds that I makes the whole experience bad. I could not rest well, they only put 2 small fans for 12 people that are in the room. Guys, make maths... I think they should stop making money and improve the hostel.

Lockers are annoying.

arielmarti733
2022-07-10

A very helpful and polite staff, especially at the reception. Lovely and cozy hostel. Safe especially for women solo travellers. Centrally located and easy commute. Go for it!

kalyanisohoni24127301
2022-07-10

Really nice welcoming, beautiful building, nice staff and cleanliness.

Only 2 negative points is underground closed at Swiss Cottage and temperature in room 109.

Would recommend to any travelers nationally or internationally

andrew-charles-johnson9032
2022-07-09

Overall not a bad place to stay, but the dorm room was unbearably hot, stuffy, and smelt like old socks. Hard to enjoy your stay somewhere when you can't sleep. Beds were comfortable, privacy curtains were great, and each bunk had its own outlets which was nice. I would not recommend staying here in the summer, but otherwise its perfectly fine.

Thomaslathrop3857
2022-07-08

Wouldve been 10 but lack of handrails for access at entrance and off breakfast room into security together with fixed bench seating in breakfast/bar room brought it down slightly. Also if underground issues with Jubilee Like and Metropolitan as happened with my stay then it is too far to walk for central LONDON. Will return when am sure no underground issues!

emmarc
2022-07-08

This hostel is definitely one to splurge on if you can afford it. Super safe environment, even in the 28 bed dorm. Despite getting a bit hot behind the bed curtains during the summer, theres nothing to complain about. Excited to come back in the future!

alexis_cox4020
2022-07-07

Really overpriced for what it is huge dorms of 18 people in pods, very noisy, added costs for everything like a towel or padlock, if you want a drink of water they tell you to go to tesco. Not very homely and you feel like you are getting ripped off but that's just London I suppose. I wouldn't come back here unless I had no choice.

conkonig
2022-07-06

Welcome to Palmers Lodge, where you can experience Victorian elegance in the former home of Samuel Palmer, of the Huntley and Palmers biscuit empire. Built in 1881, this substantial house has been restored to its original glory in order to offer our guests not just budget accommodation but also a unique experience during their stay in London.

We have a wide selection of dorms; from private rooms to a 14-bed dorm for the really price conscious traveller. Great care has been taken in furnishing our spacious rooms to the highest standard with top quality bunks and secure storage facilities.

Guests can enjoy FREE Internet and WiFi access in the lobby, relax in the lounge or have a drink with friends in our bar. A free continental breakfast, served in our Scullery restaurant, is included in the price.

Chill out in our Chapel Bar, lounge or restaurant all of which are equipped with flat screen TVs. If you have a laptop logon to our wireless network for free to catch up with friends or to plan your future travels.

If your going out then catch a tube from either Swiss Cottage or Finchley Road tube stations and in a few minutes you can be in the centre of the City. If you're having a really late night then you can catch the handy night bus back from Trafalgar Square! Swiss Cottage is an affluent part of London and there is plenty to do near the hostel. There are two cinemas near the hostel, the Hampstead Theatre, Freud Museum, Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre and plenty of pubs, shops and restaurants on Finchley Road.

This beautiful building gives our guests the chance not just to see London's history but also to sleep in it! The restoration has added all modern facilities without spoiling the building's character and guests can be assured by our conscientious staff, security card system and commitment to the highest standards. Our mission is to provide comfortable, secure, clean and spacious accommodation to the budget traveller. Don't just see London's history; live in it for a while!

Palmers Lodge is located in central London near Swiss Cottage and Finchley Road tube stations (Zone 2 and just 4 stops from the centre of London). There are bus connections to both Stansted and Luton Airports within a few minutes walk from the hostel

• Leave Swiss Cottage tube (Jubilee Line) using exit 2 to Eton Avenue. At the top of the stairs turn round and face the main road. Walk right, up College Crescent, and you will see Palmers Lodge on the left hand side after 200 meters and at the second pedestrian crossing.
• From Finchley Road tube (Jubilee & Metropolitan lines) cross the road to HSBC bank and walk to your right towards Swiss Cottage. About 150 yards up turn left (between the North Star Pub and the BP garage) and walk up College Crescent. Palmers Lodge will appear on your right at the junction.
• If you're coming into London by car the easiest way to the hostel is to follow the A41 and exit left at Swiss Cottage towards Hampstead.
• Luton Airport
• Catch the Greenline regular service from the airport (service 757) and leave the bus at Finchley Road Station - then follow the directions as above.
• Stansted Airport
• Catch the National Express regular service from the airport (service A6) and leave the bus at Finchley Road Station - then follow the directions as above.

Address: 40 College Crescent, Camden, London, Greater London, England

Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage London (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +44 (0)207 483 8470

Table Tennis

Videogames

Walking Tours

Maximum Stay: 14 nights

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage