Smart Camden Inn Hostel, London

Camden
6.9

Smart Camden Inn Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

HostelsClub Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Smart Camden Inn Hostel rated on booking websites?

Smart Camden Inn Hostel Reviews

Very basic, horrible accommodation, and sneaky pricing

This is very basic accommodation and best kept as your option of last resort. First up, the pricing is somewhat sneaky and dishonest. The "rate" does not include any of the standard things you would ordinarily expect in hostel pricing, albeit they are listed under "facilities" as though they are. If you want a locker, you must pay extra. For real! If you need a towel, you must BUY one. For real! There is free wifi in the dungeon basement area, which is decked out like a prison and smells perpetually like cigarette smoke. As there appear to be a number of people "living" at the hostel, you will also be privileged with the company of some unusual characters. And I can't tell you what that adds to the "vibe" of the hostel -- nothing good. Upon arrival you will be issued some bed sheets for you to make your own bed. For real! The lights in the toilet are on a timer -- it goes off if you sit still on the toilet for 5-10 seconds. The shower is push-button operated, it also goes off around 15-20 seconds into your shower. You cannot adjust the temperature or shower pressure either -- I had a far more comfortable (free!) shower at Gatwick airport. Are these annoyances seriously necessary?! If you are in the big dorm, you will be up four flights of stairs -- with your luggage, and your bed linen. The room is full of "residents" and there is absolutely nowhere to put your luggage as the shelving is occupied by the "residents" and there is no space under the beds. The underground fare to Cambden is 5 pounds -- put this towards your accommodation cost, and stay somewhere closer to town, and far nicer! All up, this is a horrible hostel, with sneaky pricing and I'm so glad I only booked one night so that I could move on!

Shimeji
2014-10-22
Australia

Loud, Small, and Overpriced

First of all the staff wasn't very friendly or very helpful at all. Second of all the rooms were very small, no air-conditioning (only a window right next to a busy street with traffic driving by constantly) and the 4 beds (4 bed dorm) were kinda attached to each other, meaning if someone got in or out of bed, the other 3 would also feel their beds shaking because the beds are all attached to each other. The very little privacy also didn't help very much. Worst of all was all of the traffic noise during the night, which prevented us from getting any sleep at all. Also the loud other inhabitants and loud tv in the common area didn't help our cause ... All in all not the best hostel, actually probably pretty sh*t! Still hotels in Camden are quite expensive, but for us worth the money spent!

Frank
2014-08-11
Age 25 | The Netherlands

Penny Pinching

Despite having booked a room for my daughter and three friends less than 24 hours before the arrival date, Camden Inn still charged a full room rate when I had to cancel several hours later. Although I would understand losing the deposit, to charge the full rate shows a nasty attitude. To be honest, they were a last minute desperate choice, having stayed there myself a few months previously. The rooms are tiny, dirty, noisy, and less than basic. The toilets are filthy as are the showers. The mattresses are uncomfortable and the bedding inadequate. This place has two things going for it: it's better than the street and the water was hot.

2011-02-16
UK

Shocking hostel but chocie is limited in camden

Everything aspect of this hostel is focused on minimising cost and maximising profit. When in the shower one must constantly press a button to keep the water flowing, this is undoubtedly designed to minimise the amount of time people spend in the shower. They also cut costs on cleaning, kitchen equipment. They charge extra for everything, internet an incredible 50p for fifteen minutes, washing around 4.50, lockers is rooms 1.50/night, and the one that really pissed me off, increasing the price between the time and booked and arrived. (nice people hey!?). but still I stayed for two weeks because all the other hostels in London are in the the west, which has no character. To find character and young people one must go to north or east london and unfortunately choice is limited in these areas. Those of us who love camden will just have to put up and shut up. sometimes one has to sacrifice principle for expedience.

Alex
2007-08-12
Australia

This place was appalling. The staff was rude. The rooms were dirty and the bed linen had stains on them. You could smell the toilets in the corridor. I am ashamed that this is a British establishment. Do not use this hostel.

Edgar
2007-04-18
UK

we were a large group (about forty people) and the showers were only three. The staff person was so unhelpful, and he asked some girls about her names, about her old, where did they live, where they were calling. He also tried to establish a relation with one of the girls. He didn't want to give us the money we let (L100). He said we have broken some things, and it wasn't true. Finally, he was always coming us saying we were making noise, and noise was being made by other people in the hostel. Oh, and the breakfast was so bad, so poor.

axular
2007-04-04
Basque

I don't think this hostel is anywhere near as bad as some people have said. It was reasonable for the price and was kept pretty clean.The staff were quite friendly and the people staying were a pretty good crowd. The breakfast was ok too although I never tried the Jam! There were a few problems though. The showers were too few and there was an ongoing problem with the door entry swipe cards which often decided not to work, especially bad when you are on the top floor! The internet computers were rubbish too. Overall this is not a bad hostel at all and you can do a lot worse!

CARL
2007-03-15

I'm not so experienced at backpacker-hostels but my visit at this hostel were everything but nice. when i arrived, the assistant argued with a customer, and i stood in queue for fifteen to twenty minutes. he couldn't find my booking from the internet, and i showed him the mail at the computer (during that, he took another customer, and two phone calls, making me wait ten minutes more). but he didn't accept the mail either, so i had to make a new reservation. lucky enough they didn't charge my visa-card twice. apart from this, let's say not so good experience, the bed in my room weren't cleaned from sheets and blankets, so I went down and reported it, the assistant promised to fix it before late evening but of course he didn't do that, so I cleaned it myself. the corridor stank from the toilet that worked half of the times you flushed, and the breakfast in the morning were so cheap and disgusting that I chose to buy another one in a cafeteria nearby. the most boring about this hostel though, is the assistants. I met all of them (three i think) and everyone had the same cheeky attitude at every customer. I am not choosing this hostel again.

Gufv
2006-10-26

Smart Camden Inn Hostel Reviews from the Web

Compact hostel in an excellent location 5 mins walk from Camden Town tube station. The staff were very friendly and the compact dorm room had a locker that could fit my cabin bag suitcase. The mattress was very comfy, and all linen was provided which was a bonus. The triple bunkbed could be a little awkward, but the privacy curtains around each bed were a great asset. The room faced the outside courtyard where people tended to hang out in the evening, but no real issues with late-night noise.

valeriesinclair2373028
2022-07-29

I spent one night here after arriving from the States. The beds were very private but felt a little cramped. The pillow was the worst thing Ive slept on and the bathrooms were extremely small. I could barely wash my face in the sink without drenching the floor. I did not see the kitchen or common areas on my stay. It did seem pretty clean and it was in a good location from what I could see on the drive in (lots of nearby bars).

juliepln49514
2022-07-29

Really great hostel.

nathallielmildes
2022-07-22

The one desk person was amazing and wicked friendly, but the other was grouchy all the time. The hostel itself was nice but way overcrowded, and that made the demand for the kitchen and the bathrooms ridiculous. The breakfast was not included for all but it was served in the main kitchen area, and the two ladies serving it were absurdly rude and overly protective. They repeatedly screamed at me for trying to make toast with my own bread or opening the guest fridge to get my food.

oliviadarling24129
2022-07-21

Great hostel for a few nights. Really good location close to the tube. The curtains on the bunks were nice and offerred some privacy. Ensuite in the dorm was quite small but its kept pretty clean and is all you really need. Overall good stay :)

laurentobin27
2022-07-09

I had an excellent stay at Camden Inn Hostel. It was nice how big the lockers were, and the common areas were kept very clean and were a great way to meet other travellers. The bed was not too hot in summer, and I wasnt bothered by any noise on the street up on the third floor. The bathrooms were a bit small, but other than that it was an awesome stay with friendly staff and a nice environment. I would definitely recommend this hostel :)

lisaabbott5431
2022-07-06

Nice bunks with curtains! Compared to where Ive been so far would say that this was one of the best. Very chill, nice place to stay for a night.

samuelgrebener2150
2022-07-06

Friendly guy on check in. Super accommodating. But there was a loud consistent motor noise that was all day and night in the room. The guy tried to figure out what it was but no idea. It made it so hard to sleep for me. Sad because it affected the primary purpose of the stay sleep.

Other than that all good but wouldnt stay again as it is not worth the risk for no sleep at all.

misscdarling8430
2022-07-05

Great location we loved Camden. Really good kitchen facilities and the guy on the front desk was really nice.

lisabertoncello17770
2022-07-05

Excellent place for a nights stay. Room, communal areas and bathrooms were clean. Beds not the most comfortable and quite short, no good if youre any taller than 5 foot 6. Really close to Camden Town station, and lots around to do!

fionastewart965079
2022-06-30

Great stay! Clean bed and bathroom. Each bed has its own little pod and curtain so everything is very private! People are not the most social but it's a great place stay the night!

fongruiqi7033
2022-06-29

It was a great stay for a hostel! I felt safe, it was pretty clean. My room was against the back patio so unfortunately it could get loud late at night & into the morning. They have free ear plugs in the reception area, use them! The beds were super narrow and a bit short (I'm 5'6). Otherwise, everything was great! I'd stay here again! I loved explorCamden Town; lots of restaurants for any budget.

ohthewicked
2022-06-28

Had a great 1 night stay at Camden Inn. The beds were comfy, all the facilities were clean and the kitchen was great for making your own food. It was in a great location if you want to stay in Camden. The rooms were quite small, but enough space to move about.

phoebehendersonn
2022-06-23

A pretty good hostel, but the rooms were so cramped. If everyone in the room had a suitcase, there would not be space for it. And only one person could use the lockers or open their bag at a time since the room was cramped. Also the beds were very cramped. Im super short (52) and I couldnt even sit up in my bed. It also would be nice if the beds had an outlet as well as a usb, because most chargers these days are usbc.

kedifran
2022-06-23

The bed was very comfortable, clean sheets and the kitchen was great. Its great to have a bathroom in the room but it was extremely small. The noise from the common area at night was horrible. But we had a good and comfortable time there

mayrizlh4781
2022-06-17

Comfortable and clean with a good location. Bathroom in the private room was very small however was manageable. Could do with more activities to encourage socializing between guests. Could also do with soundproofing of the windows.

ayzSFLKtBz3KgBFu
2022-06-17

Spotless...would like ice machine

svendprime4723
2022-06-13

It is the perfect location with the metro around the corner, great bites to eat, and cool pubs nearby. The only con with this hostel is that the stairs are too much and it is dangerous too. I was worried if I wasn't careful going down the stairs, I would get since it is steep too. I also wished they had more activities in this hostel, but it was fine. My friend and I manage to go to events and make friends in that area.

tabarado19932
2022-06-09

Location was the only good thing about this hostel and it was one of the cheaper places we could find. The rooms themselves were ridiculously small and the bunks were 3 tierd, not 2. I am only 6' 2" and had to sleep at an angle. Only 1 person could get anyting out of their bags at a time and the bathroom was stupidly small.

Other facilities such as kitchen and that were pretty nice though.

kanemitchell998765
2022-06-09

Spotlessly clean, lovely room with everything we needed.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Breakfast exceeded expectations, lots of options available.

5 mins from Camden Town and just around the corner from The Blues Kitchen.

Would definitely like to stay here again!

Mscharliehouse3271
2022-06-08

Come and stay with us at the Camden Inn and your journey to London will start with an experience that you won't forget - for all the right reasons of course!

This is our newest and latest hostel in London's buzzing Camden Town area, the city's most fashionable hangout. It is just a stones throw away from Camden Town Tube station and the world famous Camden Market.

Camden Inn is located in a stunning building with all the facilities, which the modern backpacker requires. We also provide clean hot showers for free.

The hard facts:
- Very central location near Regents Park.
- Free breakfast- Free bed linen
- 24 hour internet café
- 24 hour reception - No lock out or curfew
- 24 hour laundry (coin operated)
- 24 hour lounge and games room
- 24 hour pool tables and TV's
- 24 hour snacks and drinks available
- Backpacker travel centre
- Fantastic, friendly staff on hand 24 hours a day

From Camden Town UnderGround/Tube Station (Northern Line) take the left exit. Walk down Bayham Street which is opposite the station. We are on the right side of the street approx. 2 min from the station.

Address: 55/57 Bayham Street, Camden, London, Greater London, England

Smart Camden Inn Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com HostelsClub

Website Smart Camden Inn Hostel London (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +44 20 7388 8900

Currency Exchange

Swimming Pool

Walking Tours

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Smart Camden Inn Hostel