London Backpackers, London

Hendon
8.0

London Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is London Backpackers rated on booking websites?

London Backpackers Reviews

Very good!

Can't complain, it's a pretty good hostel with direct links into central london just 30 min on the bus or less on tube.

Martin
2014-11-22
Age 36 | British

London Backpackers is located just outside of central London, just across the street from the train station, small shops, restaurants, and many cafes. The hostel supplies free linen and blankets, free Wi-Fi, a TV lounge, games room, laundry room, and lockers. Also when you're ready to leave, the very friendly hostel staff will help you book your flight, train, or bus to your next stop.

The hostel is located down a small street right next to the tube station, which makes for easy access in and out of the city centre. The road is pretty noisy, but inside the building, you can't hear a single car. The hostel is very easy to find, since it's located right across the street from the train station. There are large signs on the building that you can see from afar, and they are lit up at night.

There are up to fifteen people per room, which can feel very overcrowded and hot and humid during the warmer months. Each bed has a curtain around it, which makes for a bit of privacy, as well as reducing the amount of light coming in, so it's easier to sleep. Under each bed there's a cage where you can store your belongings, and if you don't want to use those, they have lockers available as well. The bathrooms are extremely dirty and unsettling. All of the showers are joined together, with just curtains separating each one. The toilets are very old and dirty.

The hostel has a TV lounge, games room, and a kitchen. The rooms are quiet crowded, especially in the mornings. There are a couple computers for use, and also free Wi-Fi that only works in the kitchen.

Summary

This is a great hostel for a short stay, especially if you don't mind staying in a hostel that is a thirty-minute train ride away from central London. Breakfast is included (it's only toast and cereal), but it is extremely crowded in the kitchen in the mornings. The whole hostel is typically very crowded at all times, so it's difficult to meet new people. If you're on a budget, and don't mind dirty bathrooms, this is the place for you.

Lsteves
2014-03-11
Outside Lobby Lockers Beds Games Room Tv Room

Best hostel ive seen in London

New beds with lights and free lockers. great staff very helpful and across the road from the station.

Sarah Jenning
2013-02-26

I am young and like to have fun, and not usually very picky, but this place just didn't do it for me. It's all the way in Area 4, way out of the way of the London center (so plan on paying a lot for the tube.) The atmosphere is average -- there's this weird real estate business right in the middle of it, and it's extremely dirty. Maybe it was just the double room I was in but, I kid you not there was mildew on the walls. And there's no wifi. On the upside, there is free internet, a kitchen, the staff in generally helpful, and it does allow you to see another part of London (but it's not too interesting). Overall, I would not suggest going here. I'm sure there's better ones.

Minnie
2006-12-04

I would recommend you stay somewhere else! This is the worst hostel I've stayed at, and is in my opinion, substandard for it's price. For a four-night stay, we had to change rooms twice. The beds were really uncomfy (unless you happen to like springs digging into you) and felt like they were going to collapse at any time. It's situated on a pretty major intersection, and it's very noisy all day and night. Earplugs are a must. You can try and close the windows, but then it will be even hotter and more uncomfortable than it already is. The bathrooms were not cleaned very often (perhaps not ever) and you have to hold down a button the whole time you are taking a shower or the water stops. And you can't even choose the temp. The kitchen wasn't much better. It was also dirty and way underequipped. When we stayed, there was one bowl! There was no space to keep any food, so we had some stuff in our dorm. We didn't know you were not supposed to have food or drink in there, and the cleaner so generously threw it out for us without any notice. Some positive notes -- there is a washing machine and dryer, but it costs 4 pounds. Free computers with net, but they weren't always working and there were often people using them otherwise. People staying were nice. There is a games room in the basement, but it should be renamed to the smoke lounge, as it's the only place to smoke in the whole hostel all the smokers gather here -- and the ventilation is not good. In conclusion, there are better places for the same price, and not so far away from the centre.

funkz
2006-09-02

I stayed here one evening, but liked the rooms (they weren't cramped) and the beds were fairly comfy. The bathrooms seemed clean enough and the water pressure was good in the showers (always a good thing). The staff was friendly, internet free, big kitchens and washer and dryer in the hostel. not the safest place at night, but I didn't feel like I was in danger. Far from all the things to do in London, but it's kind of worth the price and not being surrounded by complete chaos all the time.

Christine
2006-09-01

Fine compromise between affordable price and reasonable comfort. Having used hostels in London before I must say that this is step ahead of those. Of course, it's not a hotel. And so the rooms might be cramped sometimes, and the kitchen might be a terrible mess after someone has passed through it as if he was Attila and a good number of Huns. If you want a room of your own, and restaurant food, maybe you are looking for a hotel. Pay for it, and you'll get it. But as a hostel it is really reasonably priced. You got a self-catering option (very appreciated to save some pounds in a city as amazingly expensive as London). It's away far from the center (about half an hour by tube), but because of that is much cheaper than similar but centrally located hostels. The same kind of accomodation (four bed room and no breakfast) will cost you as much several pounds more a night. Anyway the tube station is something like twenty meters from the hostel. And there are night buses to to get to Golders Green (if you are flying from or to Stanstead this is a blessing, as National express busses stop right there). Plenty of restaurants, pubs, and supermarkets nearby to make your shopping (and a Jewish bagel shop in Church Lane that you should not miss). Safe and relaxed neighbourhood. If you can stand a shared room, a shared kitchen, and a bit of noise of the nearby tube and road, this is a fantastic option to sleep in London.

Basajaun
2006-04-13

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff are very helpful, the beds comfortable, and the area was very safe at all times. At 4forty-eight, I am somewhat older than the average guest but I was never made to feel uncomfortable in anyway. The only negatives here are that I stupidly forgot to bring my own towel and facecloth (bedding is provided). Also, the tube is very close but in Zone Three, which is somewhat far from most of the attractions but gave me a chance to check out Camden Town and Hampstead. The weekend Market in Camden is an absolute must and the Coffee Cup Restaurant in Hampstead is a hidden jewel (turn left from the Tube and down about a block and a half). There's not enough space for all of the guests to keep food for the stay and never enough dishes or utensils. The street and Tube noises were very distracting at night but I always have earplugs with me. Considering the fun I had during my stay I can more than forgive the Tube location and the lack of utensils and kitchen space. And my last issue is a hazard of living in a modern city. All in all I would stay here again in a heartbeat, even at my advanced age.

Tina S.
2006-04-12

London Backpackers Reviews from the Web

Overall I thought it was good for the cost. There were a few things that should be better though. Myself and my friend both stayed 1 night in a female dormitory and then 1 night in a private room. The dormitory could do with better air-con as with so many people sleeping in there it got hot to the point we struggled to sleep. Alongside this in both rooms the pillows were almost non-existent. We also found in the private room the wallpaper was coming away from the wall and it smelt damp.

peggy2001unicorns5087
2022-07-27

The staff are very friendly and helpful, but the facilities aren't great. Rooms are too crowded, with 3-level bunk beds. You barely get any space for your belongings. USB ports are not working and normal plugs have a 'protective' edge that won't allow plugging large adapters (to prevent fire, supposedly). The lounge area in the basement is too small and smells damp. It's a cheap option, but far from London's main amenities (consider underground fares).

eomguel2522
2022-07-10

Amazing people!

bozicantonio3681
2022-07-07

Not in city center, but just 30 second walk to the northern underground line which can take you to many tourist destinations. free breakfast is a perk. the place is a bit crowded in the dorms and bathroom, I think it would be better to get rid of these triple decker bunk beds and just do regular double bunk beds. the room was always messy because people don't really have anywhere to put their stuff. and there's not enough showers and space in bathrooms for all the guests. staff was nice

mkrausekly2312
2022-07-05

You pay for what you get I guess. Cheap Hostel, not the nicest hostel but good value for money. Dont expect anything big from the free breakfast.

wharkins
2022-07-04

Cheap and convenient hostel, with friendly staff and situated near a tube station, but the location isn't great, near a noisy crossroad and the neighborhood isn't attractive. I feel this place didn't change much in the past 20 years, maybe a quick updo would be nice. I read outstanding reviews when the place is just okay, but if you don't want to spend too much I guess that could be a good fit for you.

stephlahellec5747
2022-07-03

Great facility if youre on a budget.

ebarrerayoc
2022-06-30

wifi was spotty, bathrooms were small and far from the room (plus the shower only runs for 5 sec at a time), breakfast being included was nice/simple, would be nice to have events or something to bring guests together, the 3 story bunk beds were not it though, my charger fell off and broke bc it was so tall :)

teganrees
2022-06-30

There were many guests over the age of 35, but they advertised the location as a youth hostel with a maximum age of 35. The main manager made jokes about watching me as I was sleeping and having cameras in the bathroom. He was offended that my female friend expressed discomfort about some of the male guests and said she looked like her family was in the kkk. Every other member of staff was very friendly and amazing. I was followed around by a few of the male guests.

catherinetonias3105
2022-06-27

Easy to find, amazing staff, great breakfast, clean and tidy, only minor downside was the same as most hostels with the push button showers every 10 seconds, but as stated thats minor. Good friendly mix of people staying there too.

simonbellcartage1983
2022-06-26

My stay there at the hostel was okay. It couldve been better - the hostel wasnt always clean especially the showers and kitchen. The shower stalls are quite small, leaving me a little room to hang my clothes. Each bed has its own plug sockets/USB ports BUT no one of them worked. I checked other unreserved beds and they didnt work either. A pillow was terrible - it was as flat as a pancake.

The location isnt amazing. Its far from popular attractions (around 30 mins-40 mins by metro)

hanjenny1857
2022-06-20

Lacking a bit of energy as the dining room is set up a bit anti socially. Otherwise great, I was in a dorm room and the bed was really comfortable. Fulling breakfast provided!

jonesnuala149438
2022-06-16

Definitely needs some form of AC for the summer and the rooms are a bit crowded but overall pretty nice

carterfromsl
2022-06-15

Such an incredible hostel! The staff member who checked me in was lovely. The decor was beautiful and felt very new and clean. The room was a nice size, and the bunk beds were amazing- sturdy, clean, and fitted with a reading light and several plug sockets/USB ports. There was also a privacy curtain and each bed had a labelled cage for bags which could be padlocked if needed. The bathroom was very clean and nice, but a little small. I can't wait to stay here next time I'm in London!

izzyasglass7963
2022-06-11

Really liked the staff, and the curtains around the beds. Room got a little hot despite the fans being on. Liked that there only was youths there.

SuvuIC
2022-06-10

The place is so close to the train station and a beautiful park. It very far from the city centre. The staff was sooo nice and did what ever the can to assist me with my religious needs. The facilities are dissent but a bit small. The shower were a bit cold and you couldnt turn on or off it by yourself. But the staff is so patient.

a5R4gGOAMuQoNXo4
2022-06-10

Great hostel. Staff were super friendly and managed to answer all my question. The area seems a bit sketchy at first, and the entrance didn't even look like a hostel entrance, however once inside my doubts and worries were put aside as the person at reception was very helpful and kind. She explained everything to me

courthunter9173
2022-06-04

Hostel was okay. Friendly staff and comfy beds. The kitchen was a bit dirty and there wasnt really a nice hostel vibe. My biggest issue was the bathroom. There are only three showers for all the women in the building, they are timed (10 seconds) and you cant adjust the water temperature. The breakfast is pretty bad (no fresh fruit) and its far from the centre but literally right in front of a tube station. Good value for money though, depends what you want from the place you are staying.

sofiaggarcia8147
2022-06-03

Great place to stay while in London.

Very close to the tube line, and a great park just up the road.

Friendly staff and comfortable beds.

Shout out to Vanina!

timothyjack
2022-06-02

I've got some stories from this hostel, it was a fun time, butter and cheese sandwiches for breakfast lol

charlesmasewicz5666
2022-06-02

5 Reasons you should choose London Backpackers

1. Electricity
2. Water
3. Beds
4. In House Toilets
5. Humour

Ok… So maybe we're not that funny but at least we try and that's what we can promise we'll do… Try.

We'll try and make your stay as enjoyable as we can, providing everything you need and almost all free of charge.

Reception is open from 9am – 10pm with Check Out by 10am and Check In from 1pm. If you require after hours Check In please email in advance.

Our friendly staff are always around to help and there are Security Cameras and Lockers for added safety. We don't have a curfew so you can come and go whenever you like and our Basement with Pool Table and Stereo is open all night long for guests to mingle and Boogie on down.

We also have a Full Self Catering Kitchen with Fridges and Freezers, space for dry goods and like our TV Lounge which comes with DVD Player and Movie Library the Kitchen is open 24Hrs so you can cater to those late night munchies.

Free Internet access and Wi-Fi will help with keeping in touch with friends, looking for work or planning the rest of your trip.

Now we know we're not exactly central London but we're really not that far out. We're only a 10 minute Tube ride to Camden Town which has great markets and nightlife and a 5 minute ride to Hampstead Heath which is a top spot for Summer. Our Hostel is also the closest hostel to Luton and Stansted Airports which is handy without a doubt and we'll even email you directions on how to get to us from every Airport.

Our Hostel is less than a minute walk from Hendon Central Tube station so you won't have to lug those heavy backpacks far and Hendon Park is just up the road with a Large Field, Tennis Courts, Basketball Courts (and yes we have sports equipment for guests to use) so it's a great place to get active during the day or to chill out with friends during those hot Summer nights.

***Guests at our hostel can take advantage of our cheaper weekly rates and extend their stay*** (approach to the reception or phone the hostel on + 44 (0)20 8203 1319.

• From Heathrow Airport:
• Take the Piccadilly Line on the Underground to King's Cross station. At King's Cross station you must change onto the Northern line, where you take the Northbound Underground train towards Edgware. The train destinations will be indicated on the overhead signs on the platforms and on the front of arriving trains. Once at Hendon Central, exit the station and turn left, walking towards the corner where you should be able to see our large orange sign around 50 meters up the street on the right hand side.
• We are just merely 30 seconds' walk from the station.
• From Gatwick Airport:
• Take the Thameslink train to Hendon Station ( Overground, not Underground ) which will take you through central London. Once at Hendon station you can take the 83 Bus to Hendon Central, getting off at Queens Road, about 50 meters from the Hostel. Otherwise, you can walk, turning left from the station you walk up Station Road and take the second right, Vivian Avenue, which will take you directly into Hendon Central after 10 minutes walk, from which you will be able to see the underground station on the left and Virgin Active Gym on the right, the hostel is on the road in between these two.
• Alternatively, you can take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station, then you need to get on the Underground and take the Victoria Line Northbound train to Warren Street and change onto the Northern Line ( going Northbound) towards Edgware, you need to exit at Hendon Central Underground Station. Once at Hendon Central, exit the station and turn left, walking towards the corner where you should be able to see our large orange sign around 50 meters up the street on the right hand side.
• From Luton Aiport:
• Take the EASY BUS - ( www.easybus.co.uk ) to Baker Street -from there take the Bus 113 - to Hendon Central.
• Alternatively, for a faster option. you catch the Greenline coach ( www.greenline.co.uk ) to Brent Cross and walk up the Hendon Way ( A41 ) for 10 mins to the junction of Hendon Central. The hostel is located in between the road where Virgin Active gym and Hendon Central Underground station is.
• From Stanstead Airport:
• Take the National Express coach A7 ( www.nationalexpress.co.uk ) to Golders Green station ( 45 mins ) and from there take the Bus 83 to Hendon Central ( 10 mins ).

Address: 8-10 Queens Parade, Queens Road, 1st floor, Hendon, London, Greater London, England

London Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Website London Backpackers London www.ukhostels.com