Astor Museum Inn, London

Bloomsbury
8.3

Astor Museum Inn is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld HostelsClub Booking.com

How is Astor Museum Inn rated on booking websites?

Astor Museum Inn Reviews

Pretty good!

It was pretty good, the only problem was the shower, because we only had cold water, and there wasn't any shelf to put our toiletries on. But the staff was very nice and helpful! The room was big, the beds were comfortable. We had a great time in London! Thank you so much Astor Museum!

Arantcha
2015-07-27
Age 23 | Brazilian

Good sleep

I have never slept in such a quiet dorm room! The hostel is nice, clean, and cosy-feeling. The 12 bed dorm we stayed in was spacious and clean, comfortable beds and windows that open! The bathrooms were clean, and there was free breakfast. The hostel feels a little shabby, but overall I was really pleased with it and would definitely stay again. And amazing location!!

Sophie
2014-08-16
Age 33 | UK

Good hostel but the staff can be isolating

Pros -- location. Excellent, just near two tube stations, lots of groceries stores around. The beds are comfortable, even if the rooms can be small. The bathrooms are plenty and pretty clean. Fully functioning kitchen. Cons -- would not recommend for solo travelers, because the staff is very cliquey and is not really interested in mingling, which makes making friends difficult. I'm pretty sure there were bedbugs in my bed.

tereza
2014-04-27
Age 26 | brazil

Nice hostel

Good hostel and friendly staff.

Chris
2013-07-02
Age 26 | USA

Utter Dogshit

I can, with a great degree of certainty say that this was by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. I thought the worst experience I had ever had would never be topped, but lord have mercy they pulled out all the stops. First few minutes at the hostel were trying to say the least. It took 5 or 6 minutes just to get past the locked door as the staff was in the back watching tv or on the computer scanning facebook. And even when my friend and I obtained the code from passersby, the girl 'working' at the front desk told me that she actually wasn't working, all while letting me see her mouth full of some disgusting pasta atrocity. The guy who ended up helping us made me feel uncomfortable in no time flat, giggling and hitting on me when all I wanted to do was go to bed as my friend and I arrived quite late. After getting the hell out of there the horrors continued in our room. If you stay here, bring your opium pipe because that's what you're getting yourself into. Horrible bathrooms, no guarantee of actually having a bed to sleep in that night as on 2 of the 3 nights I was displaced to other beds or other rooms entirely. I could go on and on like Erykah Badu on this subject but I think what sums this place up the best is that after leaving the hostel my friend and I went about every effort possible in order to not come with 5 blocks of the place again. My best advice is, if you are unfortunate enough to stay at this place, be your charming self and find some random girl at a bar and work that angle so you can just go home with her. Believe me, an STD is a pretty decent trade off in this case.

dude
2012-07-09
us

Does the job, great location.

Stayed here for one night in the middle of May 2011. Overall stay was okay, nothing exceptional. This hostel is split into two buildings, which I didn't read about anywhere online, so was a little annoyed. Typically, I was in the second building, which is nicely hidden on little russel street (a seemingly dodgy back street). Reception staff gave me very little direction on the location of the second building, but luckily I knew the area a little, and found it okay, around a 3 minute walk if you know where you're going. The main annoyance of the two buildings is that the common space is in the first, so being in the second building felt very separated until I went over for breakfast in the morning. Generally speaking everything else was fine, fairly clean, met some awesome people, great location, obvious value for money (especially as breakfast is included -- don't expect much though!), friendly if a little unhelpful staff. I would consider staying here again, if not just for the location.

Cassie
2011-06-05
UK

Poorly Managed

Nice location and staff but next to no organisation. I was sent to a room with no floorboards, and no beds. Then they moved me and I nearly died from paint fumes. There were no curtains for privacy and my bed wasn't made until 7 p.m. The next day I was asked to leave the room between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. and was made to wander aimlessly around London with a hangover I would have much preferred to enjoy in bed. All in all a complete shamble. Maybe with some management my stay would have been more enjoyable.

B.Reynolds
2009-01-29

Very Friendly

After staying in numerous hostels throughout the U.K., this was the friendliest. Maybe because there were a few Aussies and Kiwis there, but all the long termers made themselves known and invited you to drinks or whatever. For what I paid I thought it was great. The showers and toilets were clean and the kitchen was not dirtier than that of my boarding house -- it's a communal kitchen for goodness sake! I had a great stay (six nights) and will be back. As an Australian, it was the Museum Inn that gave me my first ever Fosters can!

Katherine
2009-01-23
Australia

Astor Museum Inn Reviews from the Web

Staff was really kind. Would definitely stay again. Good location within walking distance to everything.

b114c261
2022-08-02

location is unmatched walking distance to everything! rooms are good just the bathrooms could do with a good clean

Breeshawigg4851
2022-08-02

Pros

Excellent location! In the heart of London. I could get to the hostel during the night not feeling in danger.

Friendly stuff, willing to help.

Rooms were clean enough but could be a little better. Quiet during the night, had a good sleep.

Cons

No curtains so privacy was not a choice and too much light during the morning.

Very small hallways and bathrooms. Couldn't wash my face without water falling out of the sink. Bathrooms could also be a bit cleaner.

Overall

Good value for money.

papadopouloug
2022-07-27

Great hostel in an excellent location! The kitchen was really nice and there are lots of bathrooms so I never had to wait. Staff were helpful and always available. No AC so that heat wave was a bit killer, but they brought fans in so we didnt die. Overall amazing and Id stay again.

sarahwheat509728
2022-07-13

Had an incredible stay. It's incredibly centrally located - literally right next to the British Museum. So convenient. Amazing. Staff were super friendly and approachable. My only warning is that if you are severely unfit, this place not be for you as there are a lot of stairs if you are on some of the higher floors.

wemily
2022-07-12

Overall the hostel was "good enough". It has a very student accommodation feel to it as its an older house that has had bedrooms made into dorm rooms. The room it's self was nice enough, beds were good and had lockers underneath in a standard hostel arrangement. The hallways and facilities were definitely showing signs of aging and years of wear, as well as having a big lack of common areas to meet other travellers.

The location however is a 10/10 and is worth it on that alone!

Vegemalation
2022-07-11

The staff could have informed room could be changed. The room I was offered was the least popular as it was noisy.

psamuelfoo4866
2022-07-10

El hostal est muy cntrico. Es lo nico bueno que puedo decir. Te ahorras muchos buses y metros. Pero las fotos que subieron del hostal no son realmente el hostal. La recepcin y la zonas comunes estn en un sitio y las habitaciones estn en otro edificio que est a dos calles. Donde se duerme no hay nadie, cosa que me dio un poco de miedo y que no le nada de eso cuando iba a reservar. Si no hubieran ocultado esa informacin quizs no lo hubiera cogido. Puedes usar las zonas comunes pero no tiene sentido

technosaeta7677
2022-07-09

This hostel was very clean! I even witnessed staff cleaning while I was there.

It was in a location where anything you wanted was within a 15 min walk or 5-10 min bike ride (very affordable rentable bikes located right outside hostel front door).

The dorms are very large which, of course presents its own challenges of noise at night, but that cannot be helped!

Would recommend to a friend!

gillian_swimmer1515
2022-07-07

Amazing this was such a great place to stay!

ashleykatherinedavis522
2022-07-07

Probably the worst hostel I've stayed at. The rooms are overcrowded, there's nowhere to sit. The common spaces are a joke. The hostel is in two different buildings. The bathrooms don't have simple things like shelves, nowhere to put your things and are TINY. I'm confused how this place has sustained when they fail to have the most simple things a hostel should have. A 4/10 is generous. Location is decent and accessible to central London but that's all it has going for it.

Theindy400
2022-07-06

Was amazing location in London but overall atmosphere was not great and room on the top floor was quite stuffy in summer.

siennaburnsbradley6063
2022-07-04

The showers were smelly and the kitchen area also.

There was not enough space to open your bag in the room.

EmmaRegan97
2022-07-04

The staff was awesome, super nice and helpful!!

lisascheppner2061
2022-06-29

Beds are tiny and are not bolted to the wall so you can fall down from the top if you are restless sleeper. Security is poor, main door is never locked and the 2nd door code seems to never change, plus the windows in our room are massive and you could easily slide it up from the street and gain access. Laundry has a closing time which is annoying if you are checking out or coming in late. Showers have no shelves for your soaps.

kylfaf1099
2022-06-27

My friend and I stayed here for four nights and everything was wonderful! The staff was reassuring and kind, and helped with anything they could. The bathrooms weren't perfect but nothing to be mad about. We would definitely stay here again!

erinlarkin1838
2022-06-26

Great location -just down from Russell Square & around the corner from the British Museum, but can be a bit hard to find at night due to scaffoldingSecurity is good: Passkey & code are required to get in (if you're not buzzed in by the staff). There are big lockers under the beds for your stuff, but you must provide your own lock. There are no lifts and the stairs are steep (good to keep in mind if you have a big case or are disabled.

The bathrooms and shower - clean, but no soap in shower

RulerK
2022-06-26

Great location, friendly staff! My only con was not to do with the actual hostel itself, but the guest who was blow drying hair on the landing at 05:30am.

nancyemily4414
2022-06-26

Could not be happier with my stay here! I recommend this place to any person traveling through London, the staff was amazing, the conditions were excellent, and the location is unbeatable.

hendricksanika8011
2022-06-22

I had a really good time at this hostel.

The location is perfect, the staff is friendly, the facilities (kitchen) are good and the hostel it's very clean in general.

Would definitely choose Astor again if I ever come back to London!

alanfcf
2022-06-21

A brilliant located homely hostel in the heart of central London. Easy access for all form of public transport. A hostel for young travellers, staffed by young travellers who all live on the premises. Great value for money. We offer a 10% discount for ISIC and VIP Backpackers card holders. Tax included in the price. The perfect location to explore this exciting city and a great place to make friends and have fun. We look forward to welcome you at the Museum Inn

• Directly opposite the British Museum and a short walk from Covent Garden, Oxford Street, Soho and the vibrant West End theatre district.
• From Heathrow Airport by Underground (Tube/Metro): Take the Piccadilly Line (dark blue) to Russell Square Station. From the station turn left, cross Russell Square and turn left into Montague Street.
• From Heathrow Airport by A2 Airbus: Take the A2 Airbus from Heathrow to the British Museum. From the Museum continue along Russell Street and turn left into Montague Street.
• From Gatwick Airport: Take the Gatwick Express train to Victoria Station. Change to the Underground system where you catch the northbound Victoria Line (light blue) to Green Park Station and change to the northbound Piccadilly Line (dark blue) to Russell Square. From the station turn left, cross Russell Square and turn left into Montague Street.
• From Waterloo Station: Take the northbound Northern Line (black) to Leicester Square and change to the northbound Piccadilly Line (dark blue) and continue to Russell Square Station. From the station turn left, cross Russell Square and turn left into Montague Street.
• From Victoria Station: Take the northbound Victoria Line (light blue) to Green Park and change to the northbound Piccadilly Line (dark blue) to Russell Square. From the station turn left, cross Russell Square and turn left into Montague Street.

Address: 27 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London, Greater London, England

Swimming Pool

Videogames

Walking Tours

Max. Age: 35

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Astor Museum Inn

Hey , did you stay at Astor Museum Inn Hostel? Leave your review here.