Kauai Beach House Hostel, Kauai

4.3

Sadly, this hostel has closed.

But wait! There is more accommodation in Kauai...

Compare Hostel Prices for Kauai

your hostels in Kauai

Check directly alternative Hostels with Hostelworld.com.

How is Kauai Beach House Hostel rated on booking websites?

Kauai Beach House Hostel Reviews

CANCELLED ON US! NO REFUND 5 days before our trip!

Would not recommend, run away! We booked our stay months in advance only for them to cancel on us five days before our trip! in the first email there was NOO mention of a refund!!! me and my friend contacted all of the phone numbers and email addresses at least 8 times before getting any kind of a response. Eventually we were told we would get a refund but it has been months since! I drove by the place when I was there it looked abandoned. I am wondering if this is a scam because some reviews have this same exact scenario around covid. I am still waiting on my money back and do have confidence I will get it back. I would recommend looking else where! Tip Top hotel in Lihue was decent and fairly priced! Their communication and lack of knowledge is disappointing to say the least.

Travel for Life!
2022-06-23

Owner Threatened to Sue Me if I Spoke Out

I had booked my stay before the C-19 shutdown. After the hostel announced that they would be closing I respectfully asked for my money back as times are hard and we have no idea how long this is going to last and I was unsure if I would even be able to return. KBHH sent me back a very hateful, harshly worded email denying me a refund and threatening to sue me for defamation if I wrote a bad review. So here I am writing an honest review of my experience with KBHH anyway, even after a second email threatening to sue me. I kept all the emails to prove it and I really wish I could attach them here!

Hostels can be a gamble when it comes to safety as it is, especially as a solo female traveler.

So I would DEFINITELY would not recommend staying at a business this shady. I wish I would've looked at the reviews first instead of trusting that this business was worth my money. That was my bad. I was definitely not shown the aloha spirit.

Bryanna
2020-07-06
Age 21 | USA

Juvenile, overhyped

Just stayed for 8 nights. Do not be fooled by the pictures. Behind the pics are hostile, unfriendly staff; bugs; overcrowding; not worth staying. Half the place is in disrepair. The other half is crammed with beds. Goodwill furniture in common areas, which they rent out to sleep on when crowded. Homeless area. The staff is not friendly, and overtly rude. The only reason they have any business is because it is Kauai. Stay away at any cost.

Kauai traveler
2019-06-16
Age 62 | U.S.A.

Good place

I really enjoyed my stay here when I was on Kauai. I was very last minute but I did manage to sleep a couple of nights in a girl dorm which was fun. They were also pretty accommodating in giving me a mattress outside and couch for the times they had no more space. The prices are typically normal as far as the prices go in Hawaii. When I was there it cost me 40USD which was 2 years ago. The place could have been cleaner though. People were not really washing their dishes properly but I guess it's not the fault of the staff really. Another problem was that the kitchen was right next to the dorms and was difficult not to hear the activities that were going on. I would definitely go back for the vibe, the ocean view, the friendliness of the staff. I met so many awesome people there!

#
anonymous
2018-12-17

Ridiculous cancelation policy and rude staff

This hostel refused to issue us a refund after our trip plans changed even though we were trying to cancel 3 weeks prior to our stay of only one night. They stated that we could use what we paid the next time we visited Kauai which could be never since this was a traveling stop. We accepted paying a 20% cancellation fee even though our reservation was far out, however they still are being extremely reticent to give us our money back.

A staff member was insulting and extremely unprofessional in email exchanges saying, "and if your friends are anything like you pls let them know it is, just like the airlines and so many other vacation places, a no refund. We expect adults to not make a reservation that they cannot keep, it's a world wide adult thing ... besides 1 night ... we aren't a last resort kind of place and expect not to be treated as same, by a 1 night foot in the door of Kauai reservation ... it is common in the hospitality industry people who make a 1 night and no show or cancel and want their $$$ back. That's why no refund saves the business people the hassle you have presented." (That quote is copied and pasted with no change to typos). Refusing to offer refunds when they can easily fill the room due to the length of time prior to our stay that we canceled is essentially this business getting free money not to mention an inhospitable and unfair policy. The staff handling of the issue is unacceptable. I can't say it enough, if you are a traveler and your plans could unexpectedly change, do not book here.

2017-11-28
Age 25 | United States

Stay away from this place!

I have traveled the world and I obviously stayed in many many different places. This one is an absolute joke! For your money you pretty much get just a place to sleep, there is no privacy what so ever. One bathroom for the whole place! Good luck taking shower. Everywhere you step there is people sleeping. Dorms have almost no walls, there is a kitchen next to one of them so if you are trying to take a nap and someone is just cooking, you are going to be part of it. It just reminds me of these places in south east Asia where they charge you 1/10 of the price. There is another thing -- Are you paying with your credit card? There is a special "rate" for that. Yes they charge you extra for that! For this reason I ended up paying for all our days. I wish i would have known! After couple nights we decided that we had enough. I went to talk to Brian who seems to be running this place to ask if i cancel our last day I can get refund. He agreed and said that he will put the room up for grabs and if sells he will refund us full, if not we would get the base rate. cool, we proceed and canceled, Here is what he has to say -- "Yo MY Man. NO REFUNDS is what I say, especially if CC and then if cash and have to mail a check. that's $50 of my time. Fwd: Refund." It would be cool like 20 years ago, when there was no way of getting proper feedback. Listen everyone, do yourself favour -- skip this joke, go to the hotel next door.

Martin
2016-12-07
Age 34 | Canada

Literally anywhere else would be better

This being one of the cheaper options in Kapa'a, I stayed there twice. I should have learned my lesson the first time -- bedbugs and lice. But, the manager apologized, and assured me it was totally out of the ordinary and had never happened before. When I went again, 8 months later? Same thing! Talked to some of the "staff," sure enough, it's a regular issue, they just say it's a one time deal to ward off inspectors. Now, I've dealt with stuff like that before, so while it was ... not great, it wasn't a total loss. Until a bunch of meth addicts decided to have a fight in the front room, and not only did the owner not break up the fight, he cheered them on, and threatened a pregnant guest who tried to separate them for "interrupting the show." There are no words to express the level of WTF going on here, I honestly don't know how it's still open. So yeah, not great.

Jake
2015-07-18
Age 34 | United States

Kauai Beach House Hostel

Ive stayed and worked at hostels and this one is the best so far! Foe one how many do you find that are right on the Beach? with a walking and biking Path, lawn, Palm trees all around as you can see in the pics. If you cant afford to rent a car this is a perfect place to stay, bus stop right out front. The workers here I find very friendly and helpful,someone is always here around the clock pretty much doing chores keeping the place looking clean. No Drama here very quiet at night, Every one respects each other! I say if your staying in Kapaa stay here!!

Sylvie
2014-02-04
Age 60 | French France

Kauai is SAFE, WARM, TROPICAL. We are located right on the Blue Lagoon on the island of Kauai. Centrally located (in Kapa'a Town) to see any part of the island each day.

Polynesian family owned and operated. Kauai is Hawaii's most beautiful island and has its most and most beautiful beaches, Hawaii's only rivers (10) and extraordinary mountains, vistas, deep canyons, lush jungles and forest and pristine lagoons. Surfing, biking, hiking, kayaking, diving, wind and kite surfing, helicopter and deep sea fishing and sightseeing all over and around the island.

Besides looking down onto the Blue Lagoon from our first and second floor Lanai's (decks) you can also see Ocean, Mountain, Volcano, and Island views from our other Lanai's and verandahs. As well you can sometimes see whales leaping out of the ocean on the far side of the lagoon and see them spouting like ocean geysers. Lagoon and Ocean views are seen from all the private rooms and dorms; except 2 private rooms do not share these views. You can also see the local fishing fleet pass in front of the BeachHouse going to and from the small boat harbor (Waikaea) adjacent to the right of the Blue lagoon.

+50 Traveller

Couples

Quiet Rest

Currency Exchange

Elevator/Lift

Gym/Fitness Room

Swimming Pool

Reception Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)

Sadly, this hostel has closed.

But wait! There is more accommodation in Kauai...

Compare Hostel Prices for Kauai