India House Hostel, New Orleans

7.9

India House Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is India House Hostel rated on booking websites?

India House Hostel Reviews

Nice chilled place ... SHAME about the STAFF!!!

The hostel itself is upbeat and funky, they have nightly meals for $5 and if you're lucky you'll score free soup! The bed wasn't too bad, although leaving at 3.30 in the am wasn't too convenient as the bunk bed was a little squeaky the moment you moved! The staff weren't very helpful and gave me the impression I was placing them in an inconvenient position by simply asking a question ... It's not hard to be polite. But hey the travelers you'll meet here are pretty RAD and the location isnt too bad either.

Bek
2013-11-30
Age 29 | Australian

Cool Vibe, Very Bohemian, Nice Breakfast

Old decaying rooms, uncomfortable thin plastic matressess, a little rundown. Cant beat the price, the vibe inside the living room was very old school funky with great art and a bayou mansion vibe. Breakfast was excellent Bacon, Eggs, Hashbrowns, Toast available for cheap and cooked right in front of you. Probably the best and most infamous hostel in New Orleans. Not comfy sleepwise but good location just a streetcar away from downtown and only costs $1.

Mike O
2013-11-21
Age 25 | USA

Stay here -- you won't go wrong.

India house is not so much about the place but the people it attracts and the atmosphere it creates. There's everything here for the backpacker -- clean communal areas, rooms, showers and toilets; a functioning kitchen with plenty of refrigeration space; great low-priced breakfasts cooked to order; staff who are knowledgeable and helpful; a tv room and chill out areas both inside and out and free wifi. The website is accurate and if you look at the photos you'll see that it is also a bit of a funky, quirky place. If you have minimalist, designer, boutique inclinations stay away. If you are a fun-loving youngster, aging hippie, or someone somewhere on that continuum then this is the place for you. It attracts a great crowd of people and it is one of the best hostels for meeting up with people and doing things together. Of course, It benefits enormously from being in NOLA and the mindset that I assume people arrive with. If the location seems some way from the French Quarter, don't be put off -- it's only about 3.7km (2.3miles), but the streetcar provides an almost door to door service straight up Canal Street and fares are only $1.25, or less if you have a day card. If you need a taxi it's still inexpensive at around $10, but better still just stay out till the public transport resumes. The last car of the night is around 0315 and the first of the morning around 0530! There is a top quality Rouse's supermarket a few blocks away, nearby bars and couple of restaurants. The area otherwise is quiet, safe and residential. By way of assurance, I've walked many parts of NOLA, both pre and post Katrina, including areas I was advised against and at night time and never had any problems. People are very friendly and helpful. Having stayed at another hostel on previous visits, I would always return to India House in the future.

#
Richard
2013-11-19
Age 63 | UK

Nice place to stay

Cozy, friendly, safe hostel very close to Canal st streetcar.

Vitaly
2013-08-01
Ukraine

Feels like home

Great hostel! NO is a dangerous city, especially for a girl like me, traveling all alone, but this hostel made me feel safe and secure. It's right next to a streetcar stop, so easy to get around. Rooms were clean, common rooms were very comfortable. Free wifi everywhere. I guess you can find small bad points if you think about it. I had booked a 6p all girls dorm room, but got a 8p girls dorm room without even mention of the change. Staff is not unfriendly by any means but mostly feels like they're very uninterested in your well being. No free breakfast. But all in all, LOVED it, and would certainly go back.

Eva
2012-07-16
Netherlands

The Big R -- RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rate you a 0.

I visited this hostel about 2 weeks ago. I was turned away by the desk clerk and manager/owner. He told me how I wouldn't like it, how it was noisy, and that only foreigners and out-of-state folks were allowed to stay. I told him that he didn't know what I'd like because he didn't know me. As far as the noise level, he could not judge what level of noise I was able to bear. He continued to talk about the flaws of the India House. He assumed that since I was African-American, that I was obviously a state resident. He assumed wrong. I told him that I was from out-of-state, and knew that no rooms were available at the present time; however, I'd met someone who stayed at the hostel, and he was from New Orleans but that he was white. I also pointed to an older man who was residing there. (I'm an older woman). But of course, he made the excuse that he must be a foreigner. I discerned no foreign accent. The kids outside told me that anyone could stay there; in fact, one such young lady told me that her mother was a teacher and older, and stayed at the hostel. I did notice however, that foreign students of color lived there, but not one African-American. All desk personnel was white. The owner continued to babble about how his hostel would not be a good fit for me. He decided what I would and would not like. When I left, I noted an older woman coming up the stairs -- she was white. So in essence, if you are African-American, it will be assumed that you are of bad character, though I carried myself with dignity and integrity, and was certainly dressed for the occasion. If you are black and American, forget about trying to secure a dorm bed. In essence, no blacks allowed. And then I met someone else who was turned away -- she was an American black. So I say to black folk who are traveling to New Orleans, please don't waste your time attempting to stay at the India House. Your energy can be spent elsewhere; you will be judged by your hue and not by your character. Ignorance permeates the management at India House. The place should be condemned for its blatant racist policies!

2011-01-24
African-American

India House Backpacker's Hostel is a mismatched, typical New Orleans house with a bit of a rundown feel to it but with lots of room and good areas to chill and meet others. It has lots of character and great potential and with a bit more thought and effort it could be a lot better.

The hostel is a bit of a way from the action but the Canal Stree. streetcars, which leave from almost right outside, mean that it's only a couple of minutes ride to the French Quarter and a large supermarket -- there are a couple of shops within walking distance but they are small and more expensive. A day pass on the streetcar is definitely the way to go if you are planning on making the trip more than twice a day. From the bus/train station it is a couple of blocks walk to Canal Street and you can just hop on the streetcar -- ask the driver for Lopez Street, the stop is opposite a large brick church. From the airport you can get the downtown express bus and get off and then walk to the hostel (the directions are on their website). A brief warning though is that both of the walks are a bit further than you will be told so if you have lots of luggage or arrive late a taxi is probably a better bet.

The whole place has a bit of a rundown feel to it but the dorms are large, clean, and bright. Unfortunately if you are a light sleeper, a good night's sleep could be hard to get. The metal lockers, flimsy (and squeaky) metal bunk beds, and plastic undersheets make it a very noisy night. It's also missing things like hooks, which make it seem like very little effort or thought is put into the dorms. The bathrooms are fairly clean (less so than the rooms) and in good shape and the place has a good bathroom-to-bed ratio, which means you shouldn't have to wait often.

India House is perfectly laid out to meet other travelers and there is a lot of room to chill out or to socialise. A large outside seating area, big kitchen, stage, and pool (a treat in summer) allow for a lot of guest interaction. They do offer a couple of meals for a lowish price that get served in the outside area and sometimes a band or a movie is up on stage. The kitchen could sometimes get a bit messy and cramped but it does have everything you should need. A TV and lounge area by the reception were both popular but not as popular as the chairs on the porch. The staff are friendly and reasonably helpful but we did get the feeling that most of them were more interested in having a good time themselves -- we think a bit more effort to provide more information would go a long way.

Summary

On the whole we think it's the type of hostel that will greatly appeal to some travelers but that might seem completely disorganised and average to others. It has a lot of potential and a bit more effort would make a big difference. It is, however, convenient, has lots of character, and is a good place to meet other travelers and get into the New Orleans vibe.

Mark Hosking
2010-04-14
South Africa

The best hostel you will ever stay in!

Huge, huge, huge! Beautiful rooms, lots of fridge space, a chef to make you breakfast in the morning, and beautiful New Orleans on your doorstep! Great location, even better price. I cannot recommend India House enough. Not a HI hostel -- it actually has personality. If you're freaked out by a bit of dirt, maybe you should reconsider staying in a hostel!

Elissa
2008-12-18
Australia

India House Hostel Reviews from the Web

Enjoyed my stay in all respects

tope2509094
2022-07-29

Good place; Good people; a little far, but dont problem at all;

ar3uRmb2rCWtfa5C
2022-07-02

It was a great time, Ill come back for sure!

a5TbAHNHreSKWGMl
2022-07-02

Very unique and colorful hostel with great common areas. The Tram is super close and it only takes you about 10 min to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. First Hostel in the US where I met a lot of solo travelers. Had a terrific time at India House.

lisaanderer4007
2022-06-30

All really good!

Stayed in a private room with a double bed.

Only issue was having the air con directly above the bed, which was a bit bizarre, literally just inches from my head.

It whirred away all night -

I didnt really notice but I was completely whacked from an all-day fishing trip.

lukeandrews201028444
2022-06-19

Amazing place to stay in NoLa. Absolutely love the ambiance and the people here. I highly recommend to book this stay instead of the high priced hotels to have a different experience.

hppaddu2807
2022-06-18

Amazing hostel. Clean, comfortable, all the amenities you need, helpful staff & the friendliest people. I felt welcomed from the moment i arrived & wished i had more time here. The pool was amazing in the new orleans heat. Note, it is not a party hostel, just really chill & lovely. I thoroughly recommend this place & hope to return sometime

whosmaureen3422
2022-06-16

Overall my experience was decent. However, when I arrived after 12 hours of driving to check in, I had luggage in both of my hands and asked a young man (AJ, who was working the front desk), sitting on the porch to open the door for me. He took offense that I didnt say please when I asked him. He then proceeded to give me the rudest reception I have ever received. Practically threw my passport and the payment device at me when he was done with them, among other things. I wont be coming back.

axeJKtZC52Rngx6Z
2022-06-10

This hostel is amazing!

Staff is super friendly and helpful, makes you feel like you're part of a family. The vibe in the hostel is superb, very relaxed and only fun an talkative people around. Though the hostel is in an "okay-is" neighborhood and outside of the center, you can reach bourbon street and the Frenchquarters quite easily by the beautiful old tram.

The nice people and the vibe of the hostel made us want to stay longer! Thank you guys for making our stay unforgettable!!

mxcsali334
2022-06-08

My girlfriend and I had an amazing time staying at India House! The vibes were immaculate and the staff was so friendly and chill. Definitely hope to come back again !

marmuafx7136
2022-05-31

A wonderful place with amazing people. Leaving can be accompanied by heartbreak.

a6EJxZ4ZfrqSdUpS
2022-05-31

Great place with great people!!

elizcacalitz
2022-05-28

We stayed in a private with en-suite (couple). Honestly, we only used the hostel to sleep. It is 10 minutes to the french quarter on the tram so location is no issue. The hostel was clean and the staff were helpful (booked us a 5am cab and is 24 hour reception). Walking through the hostel, the vibe seemed very friendly and something I would have enjoyed if travelling alone. It was dark and quiet to sleep. I would recommend this hostel to others travelling to New Orleans, both singles and couples.

Gap11
2022-05-24

I love the India House culture! It's more than just a staying place!

ujankush33
2022-05-20

Really cool place with good vibes and nice people. We met so many new people there and most days we just stayed at the hostel

shellylevy133537
2022-05-19

We requested them to change our room because we needed to use our CPAP machine. They told us, we have to pay appx. $140 for 4 night , otherwise they cant do anything, So we ended up paying and changed our room

sanjitbasak045248
2022-05-16

This Hostel is in a good location next to the streetcar. The staff and facility is great. I could not use the wifi in my room but it was working in the communal areas

Joshstoller7223289
2022-05-15

Hostel was a very fun place to be, felt safe the whole time, plenty of space to relax as well as enjoy, quite clean other than the kitchen (messy sometimes, doesn't get tidied as often but still bearable to cook in). They have good recommendations and have fun things on to do.

antonettechap0197216
2022-05-10

A cool hostel with a very lively and international vibe. Lots of staff working at all times who were helpful as most working there for a little while. The pool was amazing to escape the hot temperature. It is a party hostel with organised events most nights, or if you want to stay in there were generally a few people around chilling. Would definitely stay again if it New Orleans.

jonny1611
2022-05-10

I loved my stay at India House! Great vibe, and an interesting community of people. Short streetcar ride away from the French Quarter. Already looking forward to my next stay!

mukundtibrewala5442
2022-05-06

Please note: Until further notice, guests staying in dorm rooms must provide valid proof of COVID-19 vaccination at check-in. Negative COVID-19 tests will not be accepted as a substitute. There will be no exceptions made.

India House Backpackers Hostel is one of the 1st hostels in New Orleans. For 28 years, India House has been providing inexpensive accommodation to students and International travelers.
We aim to provide visitors with a laid-back fun loving atmosphere where travelers from all over the world can meet and in many cases providing life-long memories, experiences and friendships.

We are centrally located in Mid City, close to everything. It's a short streetcar ride to the French Quarter, Garden District, Superdome, Smoothie King Center and Downtown. It's a short walk to the City Park attractions, where you'll find the New Orleans Museum of Art, the outdoor statue garden, gondola rides, bike rentals, a coffee shop and botanical gardens.

We are also surrounded by several great local pubs like Finn McCool's Irish Bar, Bayou Beer Garden, The Holy Ground, Dmacs, Chickie Wah Wah Jazz club, Banks Street Bar and Grill, Twelve Mile Limit and more all within walking distance.
The area also has a great restaurant selection within walking distance.
We are the closest hostel to major events like Jazz Fest and Voodoo Fest, both a short walk away. Endymion, the largest Mardi Gras parade passes right in front of the hostel on Canal Street, giving us the greatest party of the year!!

India House is the only hostel in New Orleans with a swimming pool. Essential to cool off after a day out taking in the attractions, or just a great place to hang out and relax or party.
We have a huge outdoor deck and area with stage for bands or jamming or hanging out. There is an outdoor kitchen where we serve hot, cooked breakfasts and cheap evening meals.
We also have an indoor kitchen where you can cook your own meals if you like, with plenty of fridge space and cooking utensils. 24 hour coffee and tea is provided free.
We also have indoor TV room, dining room and a chill lounge which leads onto the front porch.

The hostel also organizes nightly events like pub crawls, pool parties, games, movie nights and our great staff will take you to places like Frenchman Street and Bourbon street, a short distance away.

India House arranges swamp, cemetery, plantation, ghost, voodoo, bike and walking tours. Most pick up and drop off right outside the front door.

There are laundry facilities and an ATM on the premises. All parking is free , some off street and copious on street spots.

We have dorm style rooms as well as private, shared bathroom, or private en suite rooms. We also have smaller private rooms en suite for groups of 3 or 4.
All dorm rooms require a valid out-of-state student ID or International Passport. These restrictions do not apply to the private rooms, as these are available to all out-of-state travellers..

We have a 24 hour reception normally, but due to Covid-19 our reception hours are 8:00 AM-2:00 AM
Check in time from 2:00 PM, (earlier if your room is ready) until 2:00 AM
Check out is 12 noon, you can leave your baggage in the lounge and hang out or go out if needed.
All guests must be minimum 18 years old and have a valid out-of-state student ID or foreign passport.
We unfortunately cannot accept pets - We already have our house cat, Taj Mahal!
There is an $80 minimum on credit card transactions to help keep prices low.
Pillow, linens, towels and blankets are included. Hair dryers and steam irons are available at the front desk upon request.
Storage lockers are available in, or adjacent to, all dorms for safekeeping of your belongings.

We hope to welcome you to India House soon! Happy travels.

• In Mid City at the intersection of Canal Street and South Lopez Street. Just 7 minutes to the French Quarter, 10 minutes to the Garden District, 10 minutes to Jazz Fest and overlooks many Mardi Gras parades, including Endymion - one of the largest in the city.
• From Airport: Take the Downtown Express Bus to the corner of Tulane and S. Lopez Street and walk left on S. Lopez to #124.
• From Amtrack/Greyhound: Walk left on Loyola to Canal St. Take buses 41,42 or 43 towards the Cemeteries. Get off at Lopez and Canal and walk left to#124.
• DIRECTIONS BY CAR:
• From I-10 Westbound: Exit at Canal Street/Superdome, go to traffic lights and turn left onto Canal Street. Drive up Canal, until the 3200 block (corner of Canal and S. Lopez on the left).
• From I10 Eastbound: Exit at Metairie Road/City Park Ave., go to traffic lights and turn left. At next traffic lights, turn right onto Canal St. (there is a filter lane for right turning traffic). Drive down Canal until you reach the 3200 block (corner of Canal St. and S. Lopez on the right).
• Note: S. Lopez is a one-way street and you can't access it from Canal St. The hostel is located in the 1st block, so just go around the block.

Address: 124 South Lopez Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA