Alice Lodge Backpackers, Alice Springs

9.4

Alice Lodge Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Alice Lodge Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Alice Lodge Backpackers Reviews

Home away from home.

Having spent thirteen weeks at a resort as a Food & Beverage Attendant, i was in desperate need of a change and to do some shopping. The place was easy to find. I arrived after hours but had a pleasant conversation with Juno beforehand who gave me a gate access code and left an envelope with room key, map and WiFi access. Town centre is an easy ten minute walk, and everything i needed was right there. It was easy find, thanks to the map on the wall at the lodge. The girls dorm room was clean and all i needed. The bed and pillow was comfortable, the linen was clean. There was no mould on the roof and was warm all night. A free breakfast is included of tea, coffee, cereal, and toast. I love the wall of shame idea. Keeps it honest for all. Reception was polite and made attempt at conversation. He was not at all rude. There are constantly sound of people coming and going, but it's a hostel, you have to expect that guests will be loud and rude. That's nothing the owners can control. Any traveler should have decent earplugs anyway, which you will need because the owners choose to play music until ten pm. The showers are ok. The toilets work. There are two sides to chose from. The facilities are well maintained considering the high volume use. I'm totally stealing the mini panther cat they have, he is such a big sook!

Kylie
2015-04-19
Age 40 | Australia

None of the hostels in Alice Springs are anything to write home about, and that goes for Alice Lodge Backpackers as well. The majority of people who stay here use it as a base for trips to the Red Centre, but even still, Alice Lodge offers a comfortable stay. But don't be surprised if you are "upgraded" to a motel close by (this actually is an upgrade, as the motel is very nice, and offers you private rooms).

The location is not too bad, around a fifteen-minute walk from the centre of Alice Springs. We stayed here as it is the associated hostel with Emu Run Tours for the trips to the Red Centre (the trip is very good, by the way!). The first night upon check-in, we were moved to a different motel, which is very nice!

The bedrooms are basic, but to a clean standard, and all come with lockers (provide your own lock). In the winter, the room is very warm, which is an added bonus. The bathrooms are a bit on the dark side, but there is always one available. The rooms come with free Wi-Fi, but it is done on a ticket basis, so make sure you don't lose yours, as they are not overly keen to provide you a replacement, and it also makes it difficult if you have more than one device with which you would like to get online.

The kitchen is on the small size, and quite messy, but a free breakfast is available to all, starting from 5 a.m. (this is handy for those going on the tours). Breakfast consists of cereal and toast, although there are signs everywhere threatening not to take more than two slices, and a photo wall of shame of people who have been greedy. Some may find this funny, while some may find it a little annoying.

There is a comfortable living room area with a DVD collection and books that are free to use, and a swimming pool out the back. The swimming pool is dirty and could do with a clean; however, in the winter time we would not recommend a swim unless you fancy hypothermia! The garden area is quite large, and has designated smoking areas away from the table areas. The hostel is quiet in the winter time, but those that are there are generally friendly and welcoming.

Summary

A standard hostel for Australia, the hostel often does deals when booking a tour, so check ahead, and they allow you to leave your big bags in a lock up whilst you go on your trips. The gate to the hostel has a code, so make sure you remember it, as the reception closes usually around 9 p.m. The hostel also offers a bus to the Ghan Train, which although not too far away, comes in quite useful.

John Tunley
2012-09-26
Uk

Rude staff, poor customer service

I stayed at this place for two nights and then decided to stay a third. I wad told I had to switch rooms which was fine. I cleared my stuff and left it in their storage room while I went out. I did however forget to take my food out of the fridge. When I got back the food had disappeared which wasn't a big deal. But when I asked the guy at reception he said "that's your tough sh*t". The I went to ask the cleaner and the guy at reception told the cleaner to tell me to piss off. That was my breaking point when I got mad at him for being so rude. He then continued to be a smart ass and in the end I decided to leave to another hostel. Furthermore, when I asked for a tax invoice he refused to give me one. Never staying there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all!!!

2011-05-30
Australian

Spend your Alice Spring days here!

Excellent staff here. Brendan and PJ were very friendly and helpful. And Brendans dog is awesome. I miss him! These people know how to run a backpackers place. The rooms were very clean, bathroom and toilets as well. The hostel is not that big, and that makes it a nice and cosy place to stay. You'll have a relaxed time here in this hostel. Highly recommended!

Inge
2011-05-27
Belgium

Rude reception, awful customer service, not a good place to stay

We, a group of three, stayed here in mid November, 2010, and had a very unhappy experience with the staff. One of the staffers had recommended us a Uluru tour, which, we believe, was organized by some companies associated with the hostel, but we chose to join a tour from another backpacker hostel instead. When we talked about the tour with the staff, he immediately became extremely rude, and yelled at us "sh*t!!!", "f***!!!!" and many other disrespectful comments. He printed out a review online about the tour we had booked, saying all the bad things you can ever imagine about the tour. He then told us to "go away". We decided to leave this place, and asked him for refund, but he started saying something like "I only care about you" blah blah blah. As customers, we do have the rights to choose which tour we want. We are extremely disappointed that we were treated so badly when we refused to go with them. It was truly the worst hostel we had ever stayed with.

2010-11-19
Hong Kong

Nice place to relax

We stayed there in October 2009. Located at the other side of Todd River, there's a ten-minute walk to downtown. This hostel is a pretty small place but it is calm and relaxing. Staff is young and helpful. There's a free breakfast and free internet (but did not work when we were there). Our room was in a caravan -- imaginative! I feared I might be disturbed by noise or be chilling but not an issue in October. The room features a fridge and air conditioning/heat. Our journey there was nice.

Mike
2010-05-27
Europe

Nice place to chill but money grubbing owners

Was here for the winter. Hostel beds were great, rooms spacious, and they have a fridge, though quite pricey. The hostel owners shown some dishonesty in the running of their hostel. I told them I was interested in signing for a tour and asked for more information, they asked for my credit details and processed a deposit without my prior consent. No biggie. I wanted to go on the tour anyway. But then i found out some guests were given free nights and a cheaper price when they signed for the same tour with them. And when i pointed out that discrepancy to them, i was given a slap-in-the-face response "It really depends on who the person is." What? If you're in alice to see the rocks and not staying for long, you would probably be better off staying at some other hostel than with one only eager to milk more money from their guests. See if you can spot the owners checking the pay phone for spare dimes if you do decide to stay. unbelievable.

Ben
2009-07-18
Singapore

Excellent!

I stayed here for two nights in December 2008 and had a fantastic time! The facilities are excellent and well-maintained, the dorms all have ceiling fans that keep you cool, and the communal TV and internet room is cosy and a really sociable place to be, and the swimming pool offers welcome relief from the heat. The internet operates on an "honestly policy" for payment and works really well, and there is a free luggage store for when you go on your tours of Uluru. It is an easy five-minute walk into town, and four-minute walk to the supermarket, however if you are going out at night make sure you walk in groups of four or more, or catch a taxi. Free airport pick-up and cheap airport drop-off make Alice Lodge an excellent budget option. Highly recommended.

Roz
2008-12-02
UK

Alice Lodge Backpackers Reviews from the Web

My only issue was car park lock, many people had problems trying to get lock undone, someone showed us but she had problems too!

tinapeate16053
2022-07-04

Such a great little chill back Packers. Facilities were regularly cleaned and staff were super friendly and helpful. Definitely recommend this hotel.

andysouthwell89372
2022-06-28

This was a fantastic place to stay in. The instructions to gain access where super easy. Just book it! I know I will stay again.

hereliesnobody9060
2022-05-10

Deby was super helpful with helping with the check in etc. Everything was pretty easy to navigate. Room was good, showers were good, kitchen were clean. Recommend people to come here when you are about to head to Uluru

kokhou894078
2021-04-23

Didnt deliver what was advertised - no free breaky.

Far from town which was inconvenient as there were no shuttles or buses. Taxis are your only option.

Check in is via appointment only so we had to wait as our plane was delayed and we couldnt communicate this but the admin didnt bother checking despite plane details being provided.

2021-03-28

Liked: The area was quiet and secure, we were upgraded to the Alice motel so we had a private room with ensuite, free breakfast and wifi and the shuttle was available if we wanted to use it. Didn't like: The wifi was slow

2015-08-18

Liked: I like the place. Close to town, nice peple. Safe lockers in the rooms! Didn't like: They have cameras everywhere and in the kitchen is written several times you are on the camera so do your dishes. During the breakfast you can take just 2 toasts of white bread but apparently some people took 4 and now their photos (photos of so called toast thiefs) are on the walls. It is a bit weird - feel like Big brother is watching you. I do understand somebody does not do their dishes or steal the toast (the whole bread costs 85c, so the price of one slice is like 4 c!) but come on.... So this spoiled the atmosphere a lot. Prefered YHA even if they do not offer any toasts :)

2015-08-08

Liked: We had a heater in the room so our room was nice and warm.Everything was pretty clean.Nice people! Didn't like: There were only 2 toilets fpr everyone to use.My bed was really unconftabel. They ahould change madratzes.The walls are really thin so i heard guy in another room talking with his mom on the phone (heard her voice as well) and that at 5 am.

2015-05-22

Liked: Such a great atmosphere and the people are great! Very clean and the kitchen utilities were great. Didn't like: Small kitchen. Although it was never really crowded enough to be a problem.

2015-05-13

pool

2015-04-07

Liked: Very helpful stuff Didn't like: nothing

2015-04-06

Liked: Nice pool an social area Didn't like: Other guests did not keep to the rule of "quiet after 10 pm".

2015-02-06

Great value, clean and friendly. Free breakfast and WiFi!

2015-01-30

Liked: Pool, book swap, internet terminal, and set up well for those doing tours to Uluru, the Olgas, and Kings Canyon (breakfast out early, easy key drop off, etc.) Didn't like: No negatives come to mind.

2015-01-25

Liked: Great facilities to use in the kitchen, nice quiet location with a convenience store a short walk away. Didn't like: The floors were quite dirty and the room had a lot of cobwebs

2014-08-11

The Best Small, Clean & Friendly hostel in Alice Springs - Homestyle Comfort with Free Breakfast,Free Hi Speed Wireless Internet, Free Linen.

Full Guest Kitchen, Laundry, Pool & BBQ in a beautiful big backyard
Free Bus, Train & Airport Pickups (Pls advise Arrival Details)

All rooms are air conditioned/heated & have their own fridges.
Choose from small dorms, large dorms, doubles or twin rooms. Beds are made up and dorms cleaned daily

Free luggage storage all Tours pickup-drop off at our front door

Best Tours -See info at www.alicelodge.com.au
Uluru, Kings Canyon, The Olgas

Reservations-enquiries via our website www.alicelodge.com.au
or Free phone 1800 351 925 (Australia Only)

Come stay at the "Best Small & Friendly hostel in Alice Springs "

"Happy Travels - See You Soon "

• A short walk across the Todd River and only 5 minutes to the mall, pubs, clubs and aboriginal culture,major tourist attractions & nightlife
• All Tours pickup at the front door.
• If you are arriving by plane, bus or train we Pickup. (We need your arrival details please)

Address: 4 Mueller Street, Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia

Alice Lodge Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Alice Lodge Backpackers Alice Springs www.alicelodge.com.au
Phone Number: +61 (8) 8953-1975, 1-800-351-925

Airport Pickup ($13 - $16)

Towels ($1)

Outdoor Seating

Swimming Pool

Maximum Stay: 7 nights

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 7 PM (08:00-19.00)

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Alice Lodge Backpackers