Shelter City Hostel, Amsterdam

Red Light District
8.0

your hostels in Amsterdam

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Shelter City Hostel rated on booking websites?

Shelter City Hostel Reviews

There are bettere accommodations, more nice and friendly

Staff at reception are very afraid to mistake and the managers are business men. You feel the typical hierarchy of a church institution. There are bibles everywhere because it is a Christian hostel and they try to evangelize you. The manager will never help you. Pray God, maybe he will.

2016-08-13
Age 35 | Italy

Very good!!

Me and my friend are students, so the price was very fair. The staff were so nice and welcoming! the Christian part about it was very laid back and you could choose if you wanted to participate in any of the activities. It has a nice garden and it was a great place to be I you wanted a break from the city. All in all it has been the best hostel I've ever been to! And I can't say enough how smiling and helpful the staff was.

Ida
2015-07-10
Age 17 | Denmark

Nice quiet hostel with kind people and chill vibe.

I really enjoyed my stay at Shelter City Hostel. The people working there were really helpful, the garden was very Zen, the kitchen was cheerful, the night was quiet, and the location was right in the center of Amsterdam. Highly recommended.

Dimovich
2014-11-23

Good location, nice staff, nice breakfast

nice and safe place to solo travelers.

Lee
2014-04-07
Age 36

Very cool

interior is very beautiful and very interesting to visit.

#
iwankail
2013-10-31
Age 30 | indonesia

Weird

Ok so, I chose this "Christian hostel" not really because of the christian part, but because their website states that no drugs or smoking are allowed, so I expected it to be pretty decent with members of staff who were actively making sure these rules were followed. The first night I arrived the bed they gave me had been slept in and not made, and the bed next to me had bags of hash and lighters. so, I told the reception staff, so said "ok" and nothing else. about four hours later they were still there. that same night I had to change rooms at 3 a.m. because the other people in the hostel were smoking weed and making loads of noise, again, I told the reception staff and another girl told me it's hard to control what happens in the dorms. The other room was much quieter, and I slept ok, but it stunk of sweat. Another off-putting thing about the place is the shady characters that hang around in there all day. I stayed for two weeks and there were people who did not seem to leave except to smoke a joint -- one of them told me he lived there! I would not recommend this hostel as the staff do not seem to care that the no drugs rule is broken, and regularly. I was very disappointed! also, the staff are really weird -- I can't really explain why, they are just strange. I did not have a good experience here. Good points include the price and the location -- around the corner from central station. and the breakfast is ok too!

Chris
2009-02-04
England

Decent place to stay

I was a bit concerned about staying so close to the Red Light District, but I didn't find that to be a problem. The hostel was safe, was fairly clean, and the staff was very nice and quite helpful. I am twenty-eight and was traveling alone so I stayed in a four-bunk room which had four small lockers and a sink. The bunks were quite sturdy so I didn't feel the woman below me move but they were a little hard and the pillow was lumpy. Fortunately I sleep with earplugs because I wouldn't have gotten any sleep without them! There area can be quite noisy late at night but then again it's Amsterdam and the Red Light District -- I partially expected that. There was a nice outdoor area and three computers available for use. I used them a couple different times and didn't really have to wait at all. The free breakfast was so much better than most. They had a couple of options -- boiled eggs, bread and butter/jam/cheese, or the choice of a different hot breakfast each day. The luggage storage area was right next to the front desk, where you could lock your belongings to a chain. I found that to be more secure than at some of the other hostels I've stayed. The down side was there was no lift and I had to hike up to the third floor (through one of the most narrow staircases I've ever seen!) carrying my heavy suitcase. Also, there was no water pressure in the first floor women's showers. Overall I'd say it was a nice place to stay and I'd recommend it to any single traveler wanting a safe, fairly quiet place to stay close to everything.

Tennille
2008-08-08

Christian hostel near Red Light district

This hostel is very Christian-centric. I got in late and was trying to get food and had to wait until they were finished with their group prayer before the staff was available to cook me up something. The people are decent. My room was a bit narrow. I like lockers inside my room, and instead they are outside the room. The janitor guy is a bit weird. I left my shirt outside the shower door while I was showering, and I found him holding it up looking as if he were gonna take it. It was on top of my pack, so it was obviously not left behind.

I'm going to describe the things I feel are most important when considering a place to stay:

1. Location: Ok. This was very close to Red Light District, so that can be good for some and bad for others. Near a few restaurant/pubs.

2. Price: Ok. I booked this place for $33USD per night thru hostelz.com in shoulder season

3. Food: Good. Free breakfast..had some meat. Bar/dining room has food you can order at a reasonable price.

4. Curfew: Bad. 2am. I heard people had to stay outside for the night when they came back too late.

5. Internet: Bad only one computer at a reasonable rate

Kelvin Pan
2007-07-22

Shelter City Hostel Amsterdam- Rewarded two times in a row, in 2015 & 2016, with “Most Popular Hostel in Amsterdam,” this is the hostel where you can enjoy a great atmosphere for a low price!

Shelter City is located in the historic city center of Amsterdam, on the edge of the Red Light District. It has a beautiful garden and is surrounded by typical Dutch canals. Central Station, Dam Square, the Royal Palace and many famous museums are all just within walking distance.

While the common room and cafe make it easy to get to know other travelers, there is even more to discover at Shelter City. The Nieuwmarkt, next to the hostel, is well known for the mix of many cultures, international restaurants and cool cafe’s. Spend a sunny afternoon sipping your coffee in the square, enjoy the daily market or simply experience the diversity of life in Amsterdam.

More services include:
● FREE: Wi-Fi, Lockers and City Maps
● Hot breakfast, Sheets and Warm Showers (included with the price per night)
● No hidden extras - all taxes included in the price.
● Choice of rooms with 2-16 beds and shared bathrooms. The large dormitories have dividing walls between the beds.
● For even more comfort and privacy choose a 4-bed room with private bathroom (en-suite).
● Computers you can use
● Free lockers are available – bring your own padlock or buy one at reception.
● 24 hour reception with tourist information and personal recommendations
● Discount tickets available for canal cruises, bike hire and museums.
● No drugs or alcohol.
● Good security, free luggage storage and no curfew.

Run by Christian volunteers from all around the world, this non-profit hostel will provide you with a good night’s sleep in a clean and friendly environment. The Shelter City has been a favourite Amsterdam hostel since 1972, with many guests returning year after year. Come and discover why Hostelworld and Tripadvisor recommend the Shelter City to so many travellers!

Address: Barndesteeg 21, Red Light District, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands

Shelter City Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Shelter City Hostel Amsterdam www.shelterhostelamsterdam.com/
Phone Number: +31 (0) 20 62 53 230

Digital Nomads

Groups (10+ people)

Safe Deposit Box

Bike Rental (12.50 per day)

Dinner (various)

Parking (various)

Towels (1 euro)

Jobs/Work Available

Outdoor Seating

Genders: Males & Females

Maximum Stay: 1 month

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Shelter City Hostel