Mango Tourist Hostel, Hervey Bay

Scarness
4.3

Mango Tourist Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Mango Tourist Hostel rated on booking websites?

Mango Tourist Hostel Reviews

Avoid at all costs

I stayed at this hostel 15 years ago, i would have hoped it had changed, but looking at some of the reviews it appears it hasn't! Complete lack of security, windows open all the time, doors unlocked. Because of this mosquitos were buzzin about, spiders roaming the dorms and a skink who scurried about at night from behind the fridge. Then there's the rude, obnoxious, arrogant owner, or "Salesman Phil" as i liked to call him. Woe betide if you've booked a tour with someone else!! Makes up prices of tours as he goes along, while i was there told two different couples two different prices for the same trip! Took me onto Fraser Island but decided he was going to stay there a bit longer and made me make my own way back to Hervey Bay and his hostel. Don't listen to his advice. Please people do not stay at this hostel, there are plenty of other options of hostels in the area. When i was there a chap called Mort seemed to work there, Mort was great. Phil was even really rude to him too!!

Chris
2015-10-24
Age 39 | United Kingdom

Rude owner

The house is very pretty and clean. But the owner became very rude, when I booked a different tour for Fraser Island than the one he recommended and he called my decision "weird" and "strange." He even told the other guests about my "mistake." I wouldn't go back to this hostel. However, I had a very good time on Fraser.

Nelly
2009-06-11

Feels like home!

Stayed at this hostel for four nights. The prices are great and the hostel is very clean. You can tell that the owners take pride in keeping the place clean and comfortable. Phil is a Hervey Bay local and has great knowledge about activities in Hervey Bay, Fraser Island, and Town of 1770.

Cher
2009-02-23

Like being at home!

Mango Hostel was one of our favorite hostels on our whole trip! It was small and different from all the other bigger and overpriced shabby hostels that you get all the usual people in. We hadn't booked anything for Fraser Island and Phil gave us some great advice for things to do and camping out on the quiet west beach of Fraser Island was a highlight, it was beautiful! We really enjoyed our stay here, thought the beds were really comfortable, good if you wanna get away from the mainstream and it's like being at home.

Lisa and Becky
2007-08-22
UK

This hostel is small and cozy. But if you have any more than four guests forget it. The kitchen is tiny and the owners themselves were using it also when we visited (while they were building their own)! We felt like we were staying in someones home and we were in the way. Phil and Illy were nice most of the time and the dog is a treasure. Phil is passionate about giving advice but I wouldn't follow it too much. He could also be quite rude when you disagree with him. The hostel is quite far from the bus station and he refused to drop us back for the greyhound when it was leaving. We had to either go when he was making the pick up or get a taxi. So we had a two-hour wait at the bus stop. Also the rooms in the hostel have gaps between them so you may as well be in the same room as the people next to you.

Si & Lu - Ireland
2007-02-07

This hostel is great apart from one thing -- the owner. He was extremely rude to us when he found out we'd already booked another tour on Fraser. He told us that "we'd made a huge mistake, won't have a good time, and that we will miss everything Fraser has to offer" and went on for another twenty minutes trying to explain how we didn't know anything about the island and couldn't understand why we'd booked in advance because he knew more about it than everyone else! Then went further to try and sell us other packages to make up for everything we'd miss! A true salesman -- rude and aggressive!

Julia
2007-01-29

I have to say, if it wasn't for the whale tour and dinner at a fantastic Italian restaurant I would have really hated this place! Mango Hostel was cozy and comfortable, until you went to bed! The beds were hard as rocks, the pillows lumpy, and the sheets knobbly! The windows between the bedrooms allowed full light into your room if the persons in the next room leaves the light on all night (as did the one next to us until 4 a.m.!) The walls are super thin and you can hear every little sound from all in the building! One thing's for sure, I wont be recommending this place to anyone. Sorry Phil, your hospitality was friendly until we didn't want to do what your recommendations were and then we found you rather short and rude to us!

Wendy And Chris
2006-11-13

The Mango-hostel is the smallest hostel I've ever seen -- and it's so great! Phil and Ilona are so helpful. I really felt like home, especially because there is only space for eight guests! I have to say that I didn't really like Hervey Bay, but I would definitely recomend this hostel -- it was awsome!

lars
2006-04-15

Mango Tourist Hostel Reviews from the Web

People should not stay here, there is no lock on your room door, on the first night I stayed someone just waltzed into my room like it was nothing (I was in a private room). The was also loads of ants crawling all over my belongings in the room, which I had to throw a lot of things because of this I shortened my stay to only one night, as a single female traveling by myself I did not feel safe in the hostel

Frank89
2022-07-27

Relaxing place to stay in a convenient location. Park right outside the door.

jennymwaldie1800
2021-07-31

Very friendly warm atmosphere!

2017-03-30

Liked: A really nice play to stay. It is a small, nice, comfi hostel. It is really clean and everything is there what you need. The owner is really nice and helpfull he knows a lot about the area and really nice spots. The hostel feels a bit like home. Didn't like: Nothing

2015-02-15

Loved the style of the property. Very clean facilities and the owners were helpful. Chilled and laid-back atmosphere.

2014-10-12

Liked: Phil counsel us very good - we booked with him for example a great whale watching tour in a smal group. The room in the hostel was lovely. Didn't like: It was not possible to pick us up from the airport and to take us to the bus when we depart.

2013-07-29

Quiet, clean, friendly atmosphere, beautiful place, good kitchen, a home! I loved it! They (friends of the owner, who is in vacation) care about you, talk to you and even give you a ride to the greyhound station. Thanks a lot!

2011-12-24

Liked: Very Quiet and relaxing, no piss heads,and all night parties.So very quiet and peaceful Didn't like: qAll good

2011-11-29

Mango Hostel has always been a special place where a home-style atmosphere and a taste of the local life are emphasized. There are a maximum of eight people accommodated in double, twin or share rooms/dorms. The owners are very passionate about travel advises, mainly regarding Fraser Island as they have had many years experience with bush walking options and all tours with exciting transfers to and from the island for all levels of enthusiasm and fitness. There is a great range of Fraser Island tours departing from the Mango Hostel every day and can be booked with us.
The hostel is situated 200m (less than 5min walk) from Hervey Bay's beach front with shops, restaurants, Internet cafes, supermarket, bars & cafes. You always get a good description of what is nice to do or eat around the area. After a complete renovation the house has even more security, character and comfort. We provide an equipped kitchen, common room/living room, separate toilets and showers for males and females, laundry and an outdoor dining area with a "tropical-island" theme. Gardens are lush with verandahs and deck area, a perfect place for spotting wildlife.
The owners have contact with some local people with yachts, planes, kayaks, 4WD-vehicles and knowledge of the unvisited reef, island and outback areas. It's getting harder to find out about these things.
Be passionate – Stop trashin it!
Our office hours are from 7am-12pm and 2pm-8pm. During business hours we offer our guests courtesy pick ups from the bus terminal and scheduled drop offs!

Please visit our homepage (www.mangohostel.com) for more information and pictures of the Hostel!

• Hervey Bay is located 350km north of Brisbane. It is the main access point to Fraser Island, which is the biggest sand island in the world.
• Free pick- ups and drop- offs from bus terminal (about 2ks from the Mango Hostel).
• For guests arriving by car follow BOAT HARBOUR DRIVE into town until you meet MAIN STREET. Follow Main Street almost to its end and turn right into TORQUAY ROAD. After 1km you'll find us on your left hand side.
• ADDRESS: Mango Hostel, 110 Torquay Rd., Hervey Bay

Address: 110 Torquay Road, Scarness, Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia

Mango Tourist Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Mango Tourist Hostel Hervey Bay (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +61 (7) 4124-2832

Family-Friendly Hostel

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 8 PM (08:00-20:00)

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)

Rate Mango Tourist Hostel