Woolshed Eco Lodge, Hervey Bay

Scarness
8.7

Woolshed Eco Lodge is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Woolshed Eco Lodge rated on booking websites?

Woolshed Eco Lodge Reviews

Great rooms, good kitchen, great living area.

Really nice set up, very homey, one of the cheapest we stayed in up the coast but by far one of the nicest. There wasn't much going on at the hostel and it rained whilst we were there but the common area was really comfortable. Unlimited WiFi for $10 and it comes in 3hr tickets which is great if there's more than one of you! I would do Fraser island from Hervey bay as there isn't much else to do there.

alex
2013-04-13
Age 19 | england

Aussie Woolshed Backpackers offers a very relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff who try to help you wherever they can. Entering the garden area, you have a beautiful maintained but "wild" garden which makes you feel like at home immediately. It contains a little lake, many sitting areas, and hanging mats near the BBQ area to chill out with your friends or meet the other travelers.

The hostel is located no more than ten minutes from the Torquay Beach, the next pub, a mini supermarket, and an ATM. To the next bigger supermarket you need to take a five-minute ride on the free bus of the hostel on the other side of the road. They can also fetch you after twenty minutes.

The dorm rooms get cleaned daily and are organized -- some have a unique look. They contain enough power points, a mirror, a fan, and a TV. You need to use the public bathrooms, which are mostly clean but a bit rough, and the public toilets, which are kept clean. The beds are pretty big and comfortable. You get free sheets at check-in.

The hostel offers a BBQ area, a very big and beautiful garden with many chill-out areas, a laundry room you can pay to use, washing lines, and wooden-made living room with a bar-style kitchen and a big TV. You can also lock your bags for free after check-out if you want to chill at the beach until your bus arrives. They also offer Wi-Fi and computers to use, but they are not free. If you want to print something, just ask at the reception and they'll print it for you for free or for a low charge.

Summary

Before we found this beautiful hostel, we stayed in a very busy and overcrowded hostel, so we were very happy to find this hostel -- we prefer a relaxed environment and enough space to chill in the evenings. The staff are friendly but sometimes not so easy to find -- the reception is closed from noon to 2 p.m., which is good to know if you plan to check in at midday. The prices are normal for this region.

Beli
2013-02-25
Aussie Woolshed from outside Entering the garden area Living room/kitchen near bbq

Sweet, family run, centrally located hostel.

Very competent, helpful and friendly staff. Nice dining area with plenty of seating capacity. Cooking and storing facilities in the kitchen were too small, not practical and dirty. No complementary breakfast. Only two common bathrooms and showers, this was not enough. There was only one washing machine and no possibilities for washing your clothes by hand. Reception was open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and internet access was limited to these hours, no Wi-Fi. Clean and cozy rooms with good beds.

Travelingfamily
2008-08-15
Sweden

A home away from home!

We stayed in this hostel for four nights in August 2008. We had a lovely room, with a TV and DVD player in it, and a selection of free DVDs available to borrow. What really made this a brilliant hostel for us though, apart from the reasonable price and proximity to the shops was the couple that ran it. They were so friendly and helpful, and really made us feel at home. They run a great place, the rooms are fantastic. I thoroughly recommend The Woolshed.

Jon & Amy
2008-08-06
England

this is the worst place that we have ever stayed at in australia. the couple who ran the hostel are not exactly backpacker friendly, especially the guy who was consistently rude and very anal. it has no atmosphere at all. we stayed in two different rooms, one before fraser island and a different one when we came back. both were surface cleaned so they looked nice but were filthy. there was a used condom underneath the bed in the first room as well as the usual bugs. but the second room was amazing -- it had ants, cockroaches, mice, and best of all, bed bugs! we couldn't wait to get out of there. what we've learnt from this experience is never stay there again and never book extra days in advance before seeing the hostel. we wiped our feet on the way out.

nicole & edith
2007-03-02

In terms of decor, rooms and facilities this is the nicest hostel I've stayed in so far. For my first night I had a three-bed room to myself with a TV and DVD player. My only criticisms would be that I didn't meet any other guests -- I'm not sure if I was there at a really quiet time but it was a ghost town. This might be because the hostel does not do regular/late pick ups and drop offs to the greyhound stop. When I arrived late at night I was advised by the hostel to get the Palace bus but they wouldn't let me on as I wasn't staying there. When I rang the hostel they said to get a taxi or try another bus as there was no one who could pick me up. Fortunately another hostel owner took pity on me and dropped me off. This is the only thing stopping me giving a five-star rating.

Lyse
2007-01-04

Situated in Hervey Bay and within walking distance from the beach, Aussie Woolshed Backpackers is a few kilometres far from the Greyhound stop. The bus stops at Bay Central Station, where you will find all the hostels' vans for a free pickup. You can also arrange a free pickup and dropoff with Jason if you give him a quick phone call on arrival. Once you are at the Woolshed Backpackers, you are five to ten minutes from the Esplanade (the lively area of Hervey Bay) where you have all you need -- cafes, restaurants, and shops.

There are three cabin-style buildings in secluded gardens. This gives plenty of outside space in a cosy environment. This place is a good value for money. The common room, kitchen, and bathrooms are cleaned every day. The kitchen offers microwave, gas burners, crockery, kettle, toaster, and fridge. Lockers are available if you are going to Fraser Island. Karin or Jason will be happy to organise your tours to the island.

Dorms, doubles, and twin rooms are fitted with fans, fly screens, clean linen, duvets, and towels. They are very charming -- some are under the roof with wooden floor and wood all around. The hostel also has a BBQ area, garden pond, car park, and clothing line. Showers and toilets are very clean, with plenty of space to put your stuff. Atmosphere is very quiet though -- better for couples than for individual travelers. We only saw a few people in two days. Hervey Bay is more a stopover to go to Fraser Island than a place to stay.

Lydie Martin
2006-10-02
France

Best place we've seen so far, the rooms are very clean and modern, with TV, DVD player, they have a stack of DVDs at reception (free) and give you a heater if you feel cold. We also could make our own tea and and coffee in the room. The hostel is done up really nicely and got lots of character, we especially loved the kitchen, which looked like some western saloon. The owners were so helpful and friendly and we felt very welcome there.

Chris
2006-08-08

Woolshed Eco Lodge Reviews from the Web

Lovely owner! The facilities are beautiful and welcoming.

bianca_mercadante8396
2022-08-15

I absolutely loved my stay at the Woolshed. It has a historic, settler vibe and the staff and guests were helpful and responsive to my questions and needs.

It is very economical while offering a safe and comfortable stay. Altogether a memorable experience. Will choose to stay there in future. Plus I got an upgrade to a private room which was charming.

amehta4693821
2022-08-09

Very clean. Cute.

The staff were wonderfully helpful

Highly recommended

maryknox58974
2022-06-04

If you need cheap accommodation than this is the place, but that's about all its got going for it. Woolshed has more of a motel feel than a hostel. There was no vibe what so ever. The room was boiling hot. The bathrooms are in serious need of renovation. The "eco" element felt a bit like a con. The staff weren't particularly hospitable. On a positive note, it's a great location. Very close to the main shops/cafes/beach.

zoeburns2412
2021-12-31

Great place to stay in Hervey Bay. Lovely building with clean amenities, awesome common room and kitchen, nice outdoor garden to also cook or relax and have a drink. Also has a car park off the street at back of the property if your traveling with a (small-ish) vehicle.

kane_63908427
2021-10-08

Friendly staff and cool atmosphere. Would definitely stay here again.

2021-09-03

Easily one of the best backpackers I have ever stayed at. I highly value a good atmosphere and this place was probably the best in terms of atmosphere, I LOVED the kitchen regime, everyone was so respectful! Only downfall was the hard mattress which hurt my hips/back and the pillows which gave me really bad neck pain, I woke every morning feeling very sore! Apart from that theres nothing to fault, it was definitely the cleanest backpacker Ive ever stayed at. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm.

michellepaget9430
2021-05-21

We left after the first night as there was a serious domestic alongside of us and our phone call for help got no response from the person managing the property. We were concerned for our car's welfare even. We didn't feel safe to go outside. We also felt the level of cleanliness was inadequate.

mareecmulvena3812
2021-05-02

Had a great stay at Woolshed Eco Lodge. The bed was comfy, the room was clean, as were the bathrooms and kitchen. The owners were really kind and friendly. Their dog is awesome too!

alicehandford5519
2021-04-25

We loved our stay at the Woolshed Eco Lodge. Great atmosphere within a beautiful peaceful setting. Had a great sleep too. Very comfortable beds and the family unit was perfect for our family of 5.

noz72620
2021-04-17

Great place to stay! Love the decor, common areas and general set up. People there were so lovely and welcoming. My only gripe is that the bathroom/shower area doesnt provide much privacy, (unless you want to get changed in a wet shower cubicle). Would happily stay here again

lotte2468860
2021-01-26

Woodshed is definitely the place to stay if you are coming to Hervey Bay. The location is perfect - just about a 5 min walk from the beach and main road. The hostel and our room was really clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly and are happy to help you with all aspects of your stay. I would definitely stay again :)

kmadeira541
2021-01-02

Having a nice time away here, lovely appartment and lovely view

kbell744100
2020-09-12

Liked: nice garden with hammocks and other possibilities to hangout, transport to bus station is offered for free. Didn't like: wi-fi was limited for 1gb per person for the whole stay, which is not mentioned on the page/offer. also it was barely usable because of low speed.

2017-02-14

Liked: friendly staff Didn't like: car park empty .... still they asked to leave the car outside on the street during my overnight stay on Fraser Island, making the morning unnecessarily stressful

2016-10-27

Liked: Value for money Didn't like: Tin roof made it noisy when it rained

2016-01-02

Lovely small hostel with a relaxed, friendly community feel.

2015-12-12

Really homely feel to the hostel. Toilet and shower facilities were spotlessly clean. Correspondence with staff before check in was great. We had an after hours check in and everything was organised and prepared perfectly for us.

2015-10-16

Really nice place with a wonderful garden and homely atmosphere! :) We really enjoyed our stay!

2015-09-15

Lovely family-run place - does not feel like a hostel at all. Kitchen and lounge area is very cool and there are hammocks and BBQ's as well.

2015-07-12

The Woolshed Backpackers has been voted "BEST HOSTEL IN HERVEY BAY FOR EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY ACCOMMODATION" by BUG Backpackers Guide in 2003 and as "ONE OF AUSTRALIA'S 50 MOST MEMORABLE HOSTELS" by Footprints Travelguide 2004.
The Woolshed is a small family run hostel, located right in the center of Hervey Bay, only 5 minutes from beach, supermarket, restaurants, pubs, bars and cafes.
All our buildings have been designed around an Australiana Theme and are situated on a large property, surrounded by tropical gardens. Our Award Winning Hostel offers cosy, clean country style accommodation in

Ensuite Doubles & Twins
Aircon. Doubles & Twins
Standard Doubles & Twins (Fans)
Triple Rooms
Dorm Rooms

Recommended by Lonely Planet, Let's Go, Rough Guides, BUG Ultimate Guides, Footprints
Travel Guides, Bernhard Loose Reisehandbuch

Please visit our webpage for more information and pictures of the Hostel!

www.webspawner.com/users/woolshed/

• The Woolshed is located right in the center of town, only five minutes from beach, shops, supermarket, pubs, restaurants, bars & cafes.
• Guests who arrive by bus will be picked up and droped of free of charge.
• Guests arriving by car: follow the main Highway (Boat Harbour Drive) into town until you meet Queens Road. Turn left into Queens Road and drive down to the Police Station. At the Police Station turn right into Torquay Road. After another 250 m you will see the Woolshed on the righthand side on top of the hill.

Address: 181 Torquay Road, Scarness, Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia

Woolshed Eco Lodge is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Woolshed Eco Lodge Hervey Bay (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +61 (7) 4124-0677

+50 Traveller

Digital Nomads

Family-Friendly Hostel

Quiet Rest

Safe Deposit Box

Airport Pickup (free with tour)

Bike Rental ($15 Day)

Breakfast ($4)

Lockers in Rooms ($5 deposit)

Luggage Storage ($2)

Wi-Fi in Lobby/Commons (free 30 mins)

Wi-Fi in Rooms (free 30 mins)

Bike Tours

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 5

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Maximum Stay: 14 nights

Reception Hours: 7 AM - 2 PM and 4 PM - 7 PM Mon-Sat.

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Woolshed Eco Lodge