Melbourne City Backpackers, Melbourne

Central
7.9

Melbourne City Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com Hostelworld

How is Melbourne City Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Melbourne City Backpackers Reviews

Fantastic

Ticks all the boxes. Great location (just 5 mins from Southern Cross). Free breakfast, and additionally free pancakes on Sundays at 11am (you get a second breakfast on Sundays!) Two free computers for Internet use (but be warned, they're almost always full -- best time is in the morning). Power points everywhere, even in the common area, so you never have to worry about running out of battery! Would definitely stay here again!

Gladys
2013-12-25
Age 24 | Australia

Not good. could be worse but id look elsewhere

Hostel may be ok condition but has permanent residence that live there and make the place unfriendly for backpackers. Also had much older people living there. Room smelled really badly and common area was creepy with the people. Just pay a little more and stay in a better place.

elie
2013-06-22
Age 21 | usa

Great common area, poor cleaning

This is a great hostel if you plan on staying your whole trip into the common area, as it seems to attract everyone due to the lack of cleaning into the other areas (rooms/bathrooms). Great staff, very friendly. Bathrooms are disgusting, rooms are disgusting too -- im not even sure they are washing the linen.

Pierre
2013-01-11
Canada

Not good, not bad

I was impressed by all the good reviews on this site, and decided to stay at this hostel for four days while I was in Melbourne. First of all, while the hostelz.com review indicated that the hostel organized a weekly pub crawl -- it is not offered anymore. When I checked in, I wasnt given any information about hostel facilities -- nothing about breakfast, internet use, laundry. This made accessing the meager facilities at the hostel very difficult. My room was on the third floor -- walk up. There was a fourth floor too, but no elevator! Yikes. Lots of people over the age of forty were staying here. I wasnt given a blanket -- just a sheet, and so I was freezing at night and piled my clothes on top of my bed to stay warm.

I stayed in a room with a bunch of other people who had been living in the hostel for over three months. Needless to say, the entire room was covered in their stuff, and so it didnt look like the floor had been swept in ages. The location was decent, and the hostel seems safe, but I'm sure there are better hostels in the city.

Michelle
2008-09-10
Canada

My home!

I have been staying there for over two weeks now. I almost moved to an apartment but then I realized I still love the place and people so much that I just cannot leave. The staff is so friendly and there is always such a positive vibe. Thank god I went there cause I couldn't imagine a better hostel to live in. I just wish it would be cheaper but then again for an extra attention I'm always willing to pay more.

Ege
2007-11-28
Estonia

Loyal For A Reason!

I must say that I keep coming back to here for a reason. I love this place. John, the night manager, is now a good friend. I also managed to befriend the other night manager, Devin. The twenty-four-hour check-in is awesome. The night manager's friendly -- great for those who work of or during a night. I always prefer female only dorm rooms and I always get it and small ones at that. They have lockers within the rooms. Use the bathroom if you want to use a mirror as the mirrors in the rooms are inadequate. The bathrooms are great and always generally clean. The kitchen always available for use and easy to use. The storage in the fridge can be a problem at times (little room). Noise levels are kept to a minimum. Only noise problems I had was with fellow dorm "mates" who would chat whilst I was sleeping during the day. On my last night in September 2007 there I stayed in a single room. I loved every minute of it -- nice big spacious room. Only wish I could afford to do that more often.

Gold Coast Girl
2007-11-06
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Disgusting -- dirty and worn

they used to call this hostel 'the friendly place,' and it's no wonder the place decided to change its name! the dorm i had was filthy -- there were pubic hairs and stains on the sheets and the kitchen looked as though it hadn't been cleaned for a good few months. disgusting. i was really disappointed!

sophie
2007-08-06
uk

The worst thing about it is having to leave eventually

I stayed here for a week in May 2007 and as a lone traveler, it was really a very conducive place to make friends with other people. The kitchen is really big and beds were very comfortable even though I stayed at the cheapest sixteen-bed dorm and I felt very safe all the while. During my stay for six nights and seven days, the people were very friendly and I really made a lot of friends. On my last day, I really wished I could stay a couple of nights more but I had a ticket to Sydney booked already.

Steve
2007-05-25
Singapore

Melbourne City Backpackers Reviews from the Web

Good location and price.

2022-07-13

Great hostel, great staff, great location! Only the bathroom a little old fashioned but if you got slippers no problem whatsoever. Would definitely come back any time!

aHeB4twwwZbEMDZM
2022-07-09

Good location and very cheap, but the rooms and bathrooms were pretty gross. Mouldy showers, the room hadnt been cleaned in a while, rubbish under the bed and in the corners of the room. Shared kitchen and lounging facilities were pretty gross, guests had food in the sink and didnt look like it had been properly cleaned in a while. Cheap and convenient location but not well taken care of, not much of a vibe/atmosphere.

matildakaylock1562
2022-06-25

Avoid room 12 just behind reception, won't sleep because people scream in the common area all night long. Mattress wouldn't help.

Showers are warm and nice tho and the location is great.

giselafuertesdelarosa2019
2022-06-10

Friendly staff, the room felt clean as did the linens. Other people staying were friendly, and it felt quite sociable. Definitely made use of the provided tea and coffee, a nice bonus.

coplandlili6095
2022-05-18

Nice place. A little bit older but if your just sleeping there, no issues. I would stay again

thomaslamantia2147
2022-05-13

It was good but the paces was very dirty

SWeden_3
2022-05-09

This hostel was mostly catering to longer-term patrons while I was there, which meant it was a bit quieter than some of the other hostels in Melbourne. However, the layout of the hangout area made it easy to be social and make friends, and the kitchen is great. Staff is also super friendly.

lillianweidhaas3700
2022-04-22

definitely not somewhere id recommend if youre looking to meet people as demographic seemed largely older with lots of long term people. communal area not great and just felt a bit run down. location was very good though- felt very central and near the bus stop too.

alexandraw78
2022-04-20

I really enjoyed my stay from April 10 - 14. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the hot water in the showers is heavenly and despite personally not partaking in any of it, I found the free breakfasts VERY generous! The only detractor for me was the unacceptable level of noise on my floor on my last night from about midnight until 3.30am - but you get that sometimes! Anyway it hasn't stopped me from returning again for the week after Easter - so hopefully my next visit is more restful!

bernieandmiike3267
2022-04-10

Great location with even greater staff. Upon check in despite being busy form being fully booked out staff were pleasant and accomodating beyond what would be needed or expected. Rooms and bathrooms were tidy and well maintained. Beds were comfortable and lockers large and secure.

Highly recommended.

nickillerbysmith4206
2022-04-07

Good location. Kitchen only open during certain hours, fridge small and pretty dirty. Bunk beds squeaked a lot, room wasn't very clean - like some of the rest of the facility. Lockers in the room were okay.

marlenegu
2022-03-25

it was excellent great value and excellent staff

jaztif3431
2022-03-22

Place did the job of having a decent bed to sleep for a quick trip. Not for those who are fuzzy and not comf w sharing the room with few others.

lylecandelaria235314
2022-03-08

Staff are super friendly. Free brekkie is always good. Chilled out vibes and friendly guests. Get your moneys worth

abigailfraney6286
2022-02-07

Pretty standard hostel . Quite basics and the toilets are the best but fine for what you pay for

alexjade89767104
2022-01-24

So good hear you will love it. The staff are super chill and facilities are always very nice and clean. If love to party well your in luck because this is just 10 mins down road from levels, and alot of other clubs close by.

dakodaleavettbrown570
2022-01-01

Very good location near Southern Cross station. Staffs are very helpful, rooms are clean and quiet despite its location, good atmosphere overall. Highly recommended for a place to stay in the city!

whitethunder908441
2021-12-27

Lovely and central. Affordable private room by Melbourne standards.. had a nice date in the city and stayed here it was nice.

ljmckenry443
2021-11-22

Yeah, look, its cheap so you get what you pay for. Not super flash but definitely liveable and fun. Location is great. Not complaining at all, I would stay here again.

lukematters2531
2021-09-29

King Street Backpackers is located in the heart of the second most livable city in the world, (we were voted best in 2003-04 and Vancouver will have to watch out this year!). Just 200 metres from Melbourne's transport hub, Southern Cross train station and bus terminal, we provide the most conveniently located budget accomodation in the city, but that is just the start.

King Street Backpackers a large modern kitchen, bright and clean rooms, and loads of areas to catch up with friends or just chill out. Our staff have extensive local knowledge, and with our relaxed, clean and safe atmosphere, we are confident that once you've with us, you will keep coming back. We can help you on everything from finding a job to where to view penguins!

Located just streets away from some funky shopping spots, great sporting stadiums, the famous Crown Casino and the relaxing surrounds of the Yarra River, there is a festival every week in Melbourne. With great live music, amazing restuarants and vibrant culture, Melbourne won't disappoint. There's also many well hidden nightspots and quirky tourist gems in Melbourne. Perhaps that's why we weren't judged the most livable city in 2005...they're just too well hidden, but not for you!

So whether passing through Melbourne, embarking on study or work here or dropping in with plans as open as the road, you've won't be disappointed. You will also find -

* free internet
* free breakfast every day
* free big breakfast on Tuesday
* free pasta on Wednesday night
* free pancakes on Sunday morning
* free luggage storage
* all linen, including blankets provided
* 24 hour reception
* weekly rates
* one great atmosphere!

King Street Backpackers is located on the corner of Little Bourke and King Streets in the CBD of Melbourne. We are 150m away from the Southern Cross Bus Terminal on Spencer Street, where the Skybus and Sunbus airport shuttles, Greyhound and Firefly coaches arrive in Melbourne, and close to other tram lines, like the 96 to St Kilda.

Address: 197-199 King Street, Central, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Melbourne City Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Melbourne City Backpackers Melbourne www.kingstreetbackpackers.com.au
Phone Number: +61 (3) 9670-1111, 1-800-671-115

Table Tennis

Themed Dinner Nights

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Melbourne City Backpackers