STF Stockholm - af Chapman

The Hostelz.com Review

With an exceptional view of the city, and a quiet hostel to sleep in, this hostel is a fantastic choice when visiting Stockholm.

The boat/hostel is anchored directly across the water from Old Town Stockholm. The location is on a relatively small island which is connected to the rest of the city by one bridge. The island is quiet and peaceful, if looking for more of a party scene, it takes about a 15 minute walk to get to the other parts of the city from the hostel. While the beds are on the boat, the breakfast, as well as check-in/check-out will be in the actual hotel on land, which is right across from the boat entrance. The boat decks will provide a fantastic view of stockholm's skyline, especially Old Town.

The 6-bed dorm will provide plenty of living space. Large cabinets are provided to store luggage and valuables. The lock holes on the cabinets are very small, be sure to have a small padlock if valuables need to be secured. The rooms are also provided with a table, a few chairs, and a sink. The beds are built very stable and comfortable. Climbing in and out of the beds should not make too much noise, unlike some other hostels. In the main hallways there are several bathrooms and showers available. Men and women bathrooms/showers are separated and there are plenty of options in each "Section."

At this hostel there are two types of common areas. The main deck on the boat will provide a bar, grill, and plenty of seating with tables. The top decks of the boat will also have seating, recommend the top deck during sunset over the city. Inside the main building (on land), there are plenty of rooms to sit and relax.

Summary

The breakfast is not the cheapest but this hostel offers great selection of food to start the day. If prefer to save on money, there is a kitchen with two large fridges to store some fresh food. This hostel is popular with families including children. It is a nice and quiet area, if looking for a big party scene, this is not the right hostel for you. The hostel is very comfortable and feels more like a unique styled hotel than it does a hostel.
by jwootten2
2016-07-26

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "STF Stockholm - af Chapman" at Flaggmansvägen 8.)

Flaggmansvägen 8, Stockholm, Sweden
www.stfchapman.com
+46 8 463 22 66
+46 8 611 71 55

How is STF Stockholm - af Chapman rated on other websites?

Who doesn't want to stay on a three master?
VERY COOOOOOLLLLLLL! If you love ships or have kids, this is the place to be. The rooms are quite small but who cares. We booked way in advance, so we got a room with a view of the old city. Just to sit on deck in the evening, enjoying a brew is worth the money. It cost a bit more, but it is worth the extra Krones! Breakfast is in the main building on land, a bit too crowded in my opinion, so you could skip it and eat in the city. Reception is 24 hours a day staffed, Kitchen is also on the main building, well equiped. We really enjoyed our stay there.
Nutellafan
(Austria)
2011-11-11

Great hostel, horrible experience!
I stayed at this hostel twice. The first experience was fantastic, and I was due to return after doing field work elsewhere in Sweden. When I returned four weeks later, I had accidentally screwed up my reservation (completely my fault) and arrived a day later than intended. The staff at the time was very helpful and went out of their way to help me find a room there for the night. I spent a few happy days there, but unfortunately I got confused about the day I was meant to leave (again, my fault). One staff member, apparently thinking I was trying to scam a free night off them, ripped apart one of my roommate's beds thinking it was mine. When I went down to straighten it out, because it was an honest mistake, he treated me like a criminal and told me I had ten minutes to leave the hostel. His behavior was completely unprofessional. He offered no help -- no directions to another hostel or hotel, no phone numbers that I might call to see if there were any rooms available. I felt ashamed, as though I had done something wrong. I hate to give this hostel only two stars, because for the most part it was great, but this experience left such a bad taste in my mouth!
Allie
2009-12-28

excellent location, too expensive, very small rooms
In May 2007, I stayed in the house for one night only. The boat was out of function. It was three beds room, more than small -- it serves only to spend a night there. It's on the best place in the city, clean, the toilets with soap and paper hand towels. but in the showers there was no soap, so you have to bring your own. The showers are nice though and the staff was friendly. The bad thing is that you can check in only at 3 p.m. and you have to check out at 11 a.m. You have to pay extra for everything, bed linen, pads for lockers, breakfast, internet costs 1.1EUR for ten minutes, 6.6EUR extra if you are not a member. the linen is too expensive but I believe that it's the same with all the hostels in Stockholm, so this one might be of reasonable price since it's not bad and its location is perfect. Depends on what you expect from a hostel. I needed only a place to spend a night, so it was ok.
sonja
(bosnia)
2007-05-27
  One of the most unique hostels I stayed at. We stayed on the ship and it was really fun. Stockholm was the most beautiful city I have ever seen and the girls were, well, swedish. Go to Stockholm and stay at this hostel.
Dave
2006-08-16
  This is such a brilliant hostel -- the staff are friendly and go out of their way to help you, it's clean and homey and the views and location are excellent. I stayed on the ship last year and I'm going back again in a few weeks, this time staying in the building. Personally I didn't see any spiders on the ship and I found it a great experience to wake up with water just below the porthole outside. It was very comfy too and storage space wasn't a problem.
Amy
2006-03-22
  I stayed in this hostel in April 2005. It was a great hostel. I spent the second night on the second floor in a room for two and I had a perfect view. I could see Gamla Stan by night with a lot of lights and it was great. I had a great time in this hostel and I hope to have the opportunity to visit it next time.
Manolis
2005-09-19
  Well located, but the hostel is not really great. There were poor bathroom facilities on the boat, and not really good facilities in the house. Very loud hostel. Friendly staff and good breakfast buffet.
S