Shantee House, Budapest

9.0

Shantee House is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com Hostelworld

How is Shantee House rated on booking websites?

Shantee House Reviews

Stay here. Without a doubt, stay here. This is certainly one of the best hostels in Europe. Each room is individually themed (try the Bob Marley room), and only the large dorms (12 beds) have bunks. The hostel has the feel of a commune, with a nice kitchen, very friendly owners, and an outdoor garden and gazebo. The backyard & gazebo are filled with places to hang out and read/chat. Hammocks are everywhere. Easy to do laundry. A common/recreation room offers more than 200 movies for free. Cheap beer is available. There's a book exchange.

The worst thing about this hostel can be summed up with: location. It's not near any metro stops, so a bus or tram is required. It's about a 15-minute ride to old town Pest. However, the hostel offers 24 hour reception and night trams run fairly frequently. There are lockers in the rooms, and bathrooms are large enough (though tough to get into in the mornings). Internet is available. Caving and parachuting trips are offered as well. The best part about this hostel is its scene – very chill, though you will certainly meet people who want to go out at night.
#
Hostelz

chill and awesome.

karel colla
2012-08-13
belgium

Definitely one of the best hostels of my trip. Very chill! I loved the hammocks, gazebo, and chill-out areas, all nicely scented with incense sticks -- very hippified, my kind of scene. The people who run the place are clearly well-traveled, with pictures of their trails everywhere -- such an inspiration! The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout my stay, even gave me directions to the hospital, which very conveniently for me was just down the road! (As Little Britain's Lou would say, I was in a bit of a "kerfuffle") I had no problems finding people to talk to either, as this place seems to be the hotspot for like-minded people. Also when I was there, a woman came to offer discount massages, which for me was very surreal (massages in hostels?), yet relaxing! The main drawbacks are the location and the kitchen -- it can get very crowded, so you have to wait your turn if you want to cook something. Although it's out of the centre (but well-serviced by buses), it's well worth the hike, and I would definitely come back!

Hannah
2007-01-03

Ordinary to say the least. Horrible toilet downstairs and shower where the door doesnt close nor can you fit in the damn thing. Now after being bitten and complaining about spiders in our room for two nights and getting some smug remarks from the reception that we carried them spiders with us, something was finally done. Surprise Surprise a Spider nest was found in our room. We were totally pissed off and all we didnt even get a sorry. Very poor! Overall, not a bad place eventhough it is little far from town but it definitely needs some maintenance but the spiders nest took the cake. I will never go there again and have not recommended to any of my friends either.

Jason
2006-10-01

The hostel was pretty clean and a decent location. The staff was friendly and helpful, though would sometimes ask us to quiet down post three a.m., fair enough I suppose. The atmosphere here is its real selling point. It's not a huge hostel, but you the crowd it attracts is great. You live life as one massive family and gather together everynight in the common area for drinks, movies, and some of the best pizza I've ever had. Try the garlic, chicken, and sour cream. Trust me.

Canadian gal
2006-04-11

Stayed here back in the spring of 2004. After going to other parts of the world this is STILL the best hostel I have ever been to. I came by myself and arrived around midnight and had no problems with my reservations or anything. I found it clean, cozy, with a nice kitchen and lounge area and good location in regard to transport. Thanks to the cool cats who brought me to the top of the mountain that night, Witt, bro, "the Irish girls" and the brit (Denis?)!

emily
2006-02-12

I fully endorse the previous high-rating reviews. This is, without any shadow of doubt, the best hostel I have ever stayed in and I have been around Europe 4 times and stayed in all the "Name" places. The staff are just wonderful, more like friends than workers and always willing to get the party started. Coolest of cool chilled out vibes, clean rooms, great lounge and kitchen, my own little chill out platform out thru the lounge room window and hammocks hammocks hammocks!! The people I met here will be friends for life and I will be going back (again) next time I am in Budapest (great city in itself). Totally addictive (as the sign says), like many others I came for three days and stayed for three weeks. Hi Bori and Kutzi! :-)

Wanderbeest
2006-01-05

The ONLY place to stay in Budapest! Clean, friendly staff 24/7, kitchen complete with pots, pans, and dining table. Hundreds of movies to watch in the common room, free Internet, and always a clean bathroom and shower available. Come here to party or to chill or a bit of both. No matter what you want to see or do in Budapest, the amazing staff will help you find it all, and both Buda and Pest are easily reached by tram. Close to grocery stores and a place that delivers 55 cm pizzas for 10 euros! Free towels, beds made for you, the list goes on. I had a bag stolen in Prague they not only hooked me up with some warm clothes from lost and found but washed it for free! Seriously, you'd miss out big time if you stayed elsewhere. Walking and caving tours are available, and they'll tell you how much you should pay for a cab to or from anywhere. DO NOT MISS: the baths in City Park or All-You-Can-Eat Mongolian Barbecue!!!

Jonas
2005-11-13

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. I booked in for two nights, ended up staying seven. It was that cozy. Friendly staff, great facilities, cheap beer, and it attracts a great crowd. I'm thinking of going back there soon actually.

Dave
2005-08-14

After 5 years of backpacking around the world and staying in 100's of hostels, we decided to open up the very first hostel in Budapest that would fulfill all the needs of budget travellers. We wanted to make a place that we would like to stay in ourselves while on the road. We know exactly what it feels like to be far away from home in a strange country and we also know it's very important to have a secure, friendly home base to enjoy an unknown city. After 8 years in operation we haven't hung our backpacks up either and we still take every chance we can to get on the road again! Our relaxing surroundings with our back garden, gazebo and friendly people make a wonderful escape from the noise and bustle of any capital city!

Dormitory & Double Rooms

- Caving
- Rock Climbing
- Waterskiing

Address: Takács Menyhért u 33, Budapest, Hungary

Shantee House is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Shantee House Budapest www.backpackbudapest.hu
Phone Number: (36-1) 385 8946, (36-1) 209 8406

Bike Rental

Checkout: Flexible

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Shantee House