HI - Moscow - Sherstone Hostel, Moscow

7.9

your hostels in Moscow

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is HI - Moscow - Sherstone Hostel rated on booking websites?

HI - Moscow - Sherstone Hostel Reviews

Surprised

Sherstone! I got the wrong directions from the Hostel website and ended up with a gypsy cab trying to find the hostel. I guess God was with me as he after 3 hours driving from Komsomolska Metro pulled up to the hostel just as it began to get dark. Good people live in Russia too. I climbed the steps and lo and behold found a familiar face: Alexandra. I was remembered by her from many previous encounters elsewhere, but groggy and sleepy. She smiled constantly and sent me to my room. I had three dorm mates a just married couple and their friend. Our room was old and had character. It was also cozy and i think a good winter hibernating spot if need be. Next day I went to the office for OVIR registration and Dasha Alexandra's sister sat the Administrators chair. I almost reached out and kissed my long lost most admired 12 years missing. I then also remembered her sis Alexandra. I was informed quite well as to where to eat and how to go about town. Both sisters were at Moscow state and too busy for my touristy companion needs. At Sherstone I do not recommend the in house cafe. Big Blonde Waitress charged me the menu price for the items ordered, same amount to cook it and serve it, then same amount again as her tip. I protested and the flurry of flailing hands, eyes bulging, and overall muscular girth of my server ended any objection I had. She shoved the money in her bra when paid. Eat across the street or anywhere else! I got a roasted whole chicken for 3 dollars from across the street. I found no large grocer within 2 miles of the hostel and found no kitchen in the hostel. Hostel/Hotel bar is full of local girls who want to make extra money the easy way. I do not recommend it or even going inside if you are a single man traveling alone. Bold ripoffs were common and quite amusing to observe. The boyfriends/husbands of those girls are the same men holding guns and working security for the hotel. For a drink go across the street and get a few litres of Baltika or any of many other excellent Russian beers in 2 litre plastic bottles from the small grocer or liquor store. I recommend this as a long term Hostel contingent on being in a single room or with traveling companions. When the three dorm mates left I had one more day at the Hostel and a male was put in my room from the room he had been in. In middle of the nite I awoke to find him attempting to survey my property. Others said the same about him. I informed staff and they seemed unconcerned.

Dr Nathaniel Blackwell
2008-12-03
USA - Hawaii

I stayed for three nights and all was well. The receptionist spoke English. The matre'di on the 5th floor - not a word. I know enough Russian to get by and so should you! Have your own towels and soap. The fridge made a lot of noise and the walls are not extremely well isolated. Everything else worked as it should. You certainly are a fair distance from the Metro station but just several metres away from the train that runs toward the city centre. No one ever asked me to pay for usage. Never saw them spray my room... I would stay there again considering the cost of a regular hotel in the city.

Edo
2005-04-06

This is one of the few places in Moscow where you can actually get a relatively "cheap" room all to yourself. It's perfect if you are trying to bring back a guest for the night unfortunately, like all Moscow hotels, they have security and might hit the "eject" button on your new friend.

It didn't really have a "hostel" feel to it, and you probably aren't going to meet tons of new international friends here (you might not meet anybody, for that matter).

And I was attacked by dogs while I was walking from the Metro to the hostel. I'm not kidding three dogs came out of a ditch and swarmed me I've never seen anything like it. Watch out for the dogs; stay close to the apartment buildings and not near the river/ditch.

"They spray the rooms and bedding often"!?!? Ha ha ha is that positive or negative?? Well, I certainly thought it was a clean place although I'm not sure how often things were "sprayed," ha ha ha.

The big problem with this place is that it's a ten-minute walk from the Metro, AND it's pretty far out on the whatever line (i.e., you're like six or so stops from the circle line).

All in all though, it's not bad if you want your own room.

2004-12-31

It's cheap and great. It's clean (they spray the rooms and bedding often) and the staff are helpful. It's a bit far out and a little bit scary to walk to the station from here, but a nice man is often outside in his car reading the paper and he will take to the station for 100 rubles.

2004-09-19

Address: Gostinichnyi Proezd, 8, korp. 1, 3rd floor, Moscow, Russia

HI - Moscow - Sherstone Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website HI - Moscow - Sherstone Hostel Moscow www.sherstone.ru
Phone Number: +7-095-797-8075

Currency Exchange

Elevator/Lift

Checkout: 12:00 (12 Noon)

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 11 PM (08:00-23:00)

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate HI - Moscow - Sherstone Hostel