The Hump Hostel

The Hump Hostel in Kunming is a laid back hostel with cheap beds and a cozy atmosphere. But don't look yourself blind on the cheap dorm beds -- at the Hump nothing comes for free.

It is really easy to find the hostel. If you come by bus or train, just hop on the #3 bus from the station until you get to the "Golden Horse Memorial Archway." From there you just follow the signs. Around the corner is a supermarket and across the street you find the Zhong Yilu shopping area. It can be a bit noisy outside at night, mostly from annoying car alarms going off now and then -- after midnight things get quiet.

The size of the dorms are good for being eight person dorms. They clean the rooms once a day. There are big in-room lockers where you also find your blanket, pillow, and sheets upon arrival. There is a desk and two chairs in each room and about four electric sockets for recharging those cell phone and iPods.

There is one big bathroom with six shared shower booths. The water flow in the showers is really bad, but at least the water is hot. There is a locker in the shower booth where you can put your clothes while showering. There are both western- and Asian-style toilets. The overall bathroom cleanliness is ok, but the toilets smell pretty bad. Remember to bring you own toilet paper, as they charge you for a really tiny roll.

The sitting area is a big room that combines bar, café, restaurant, computer area, and TV room. You're not allowed to bring your own food to the hostel, but we saw many people eating their own food. The bar is a good place to hang out if you don't want to spend your time around the city. There are really comfortable leather sofas where you can sit and chill out over a cup of tea or step over to the pool table for a match with some fellow travelers. The rooftop garden has an amazing view over the Golden Horse Memorial Archway, especially at night when everything is lit up.

There are many Chinese people staying at the hostel but overall it's half Chinese and half foreigners. It seems to be a place where people like to party. When the hostel bar closes, everybody heads downstairs to the Hump bar where the party goes on till the break of dawn. If you're planning to go on a trip for a couple of days you can drop off your backpack in the luggage room for a charge (just for the day it is free). If you have any questions about anything, ask the staff in the reception -- they can hook you up with almost anything.

It's central and has a really laid back atmosphere. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. We met lots of fun people here, but it feels a bit average and you get the feeling of the hostel being a bit greedy (with the food restrictions and charge for toilet paper). However, the worst thing was that nobody came to pick us up from the train station the early morning we arrived, even though we had called the hostel a day earlier and asked for a pickup. The explanation we got after waiting for almost an hour and arriving at the hostel by bus was that they don't pick up people that early.
by Matias Lindblom
October 2008

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "The Hump Hostel" at Jinbi Road.)

Jinbi Road, Jinmabiji Area, Kunming, Yunnan Province, China
25.025884, 102.755127
the_hump_kunming@yahoo.com, thehumphostel@hotmail.com
+86 (0)871 3640359
+86 (0)871 3640359

How is The Hump Hostel rated on other websites?

Great place
nice place, nice people, beautiful and clean hostel. well located as well.
Age 27, Palestine
Maybe I had a bad experience
After reading a lot of good reviews on the hump we thought it would be a nice place to stay during our short stop over in KunMing. However, we did leave with mixed reviews on the place, as it did not quite live up to expectations. Pros -- Cheap (35RMB for basic room); Close to town and main railway; Exceptionally clean, the cleaners would be waiting outside to clean the shower/toilet once you had finished; Nice bar with a really great view of the sunset; You get your first beer for free. Cons/bad experience -- The room said it was with a fan, it was but there is no way to plug it in unless you carry an extension cord with you. As you can imagine with 10 people in a room the heat was very unpleasant. When we arrived the lock on our locker had been ripped off, granted they called someone to repair it straight away and gave us a new locker. However, this one would not open either. At 7.15am the cleaners come into the dorm and started cleaning, slamming the lockers and talking really loudly. This went on for about 45minutes and woke several people up. If you're looking for a lie in until at least 8am this place isn't for you. Unless you bring ear plugs I guess. The food from the restaurant was over-priced for what you are getting. The pictures are extremely deceiving. Portions are small, both our meals came out cold and very tasteless. To top it off, I waited for my pizza for over 40minutes and when I finally confronted a waiter it was clear he had completely forgot. 5 minutes later, an undercooked pizza arrived with no apology for the wait. It isn't the end of the world, but when you are paying their prices you do expect a certain level of food quality. It's more of a hotel with dorms than a hostel, there is no communal area other then the bar, although here you pay city prices for drinks. No pool. As a whole, it was a slightly disappointing stay at The Hump and I am not certain we will be returning. I am sure there are other hostels that are of a similar price and you will get a lot more for your money.
Age 23
F***ing hostel. It's a den of thieves
I have been there for three days and I won't recommend it, since it is a very unsafe and dangerous place to stay. You will be stolen! The Hump Hostel sucks.
My worst nightmare!
I forgot my laptop along with the passport on the table in the Hump hostel restaurant. They have surveillance cameras but they said they didn't see my laptop. Damn it! Five months of vacation picture lost, along with other priceless files. To the one that has my laptop, I hope you'll burn in hell. The damage you have induce to me is irreparable.
Cristi Balasa
Internet never works, bedding is never changed, rooms are never cleaned. Single rooms are ludicrously overpriced. Staff are incompetent, check your bill. Food is crap.
I was really satisfied with everything in this hostel -- maybe they are sometimes a little slow, but that helps you to slow down.
The very fine hostel in Kunming
The hump was worth staying -- a lot of fun and it makes your holiday very relaxing without having to deal with the business side of things. the staff there were very genuine, the noise side is true but personally i'd rather deal with that than other things. quite a generous hostel i would say. plus they really know how to make cocktails plus you can drink it with a rooftop view over the city.
(Chinese )
Great place with no complications
The Hump was an excellent place to stay. The staff were very friendly and there English was great. The prices were reasonable and they allow you to bring anything into the hostel, such as food and beer. They are willing to help you with anything you need and most important they never screw you around. Definitely recommend.

Rate The Hump Hostel