City Centre Backpackers

How is City Centre Backpackers rated on other websites?
1   House of horrors Stayed at this hostel and have to say what disgusting people tell u nothing but lies all they time. they place is swarming with rats and cockroaches Reece drives around in his little porche that his mammy and daddy bought him with the proceeds of coning and abusing backpackers. he thinks he's the man, but really he's just a pig and as for his parents I could write a book on them two con artists. they're not fit to mind a cat, let alone a hostel. it's really beyond me how them people manage to get permission to run that dump. stay away.  , England ()
1   I want to save you!! Do not stay in this hostel. I lived in Bundaberg for 4 months, the first 6 weeks i stayed here. I personally had work for 3-4 days a week, and I generally got on with the owners and the people that work there. That does not mean i trust any of them. There are better hostels in Bundy, I would NEVER recommend this one. Probably my worst hostel in my entire time in Australia.  , England ()
4   You make it what it is!!!!! myself and 4 friends -- 2 girls and 2 boys -- arrived in bundaberg, not having a clue what was going to be ahead of us. the 1st night there we had no place to go, so we ended up staying in another hostle, it was the worst night of our lives!!!! words could not express how rotten it was. so the next morning we signed into city center. your in a regional area, to do farm work, which every knows isnt going to be easy to a)get and b) to do when you get it. if you are going to bundaberg, expecting a beautiful hostel, with state of the art facilities ... well get the grey hound to turn you back around!!!! city center isnt the best hostel in the world, its not the cleanest but trust me a hostel is a hostel ... its the experience and what you make of it that is the most important. its a working hostel, and youre the owners workers as well as the farmers employees. the owners are strict, sometimes can come across as being rude, we had run ins with them all, for being loud, but i mean you get that where ever you go. bob is bob, hes cranky, he calls you a c**t a hundred times a day, he drives like a crazy man, but he was part of the experience. i NEVER had a problem with emma. she is the nicest ever. really helpful, its a stressful job, so ya sometimes she was snappy but i mean so would i if i had 100 people a day asking me questions ... but never had a problem with her. i mean my experience may be different to all those above but as i said its what you make of it. stick it out and complain all the time and you will have the worst time ever, or take it as it is, a once in a life time thing and have fun. you meet the best people from every corner of the world and make some of the best friends. the banter is unreal if you want to get to know people. i had the best 3 months here. fair enough work is had to get but i mean its not like they have the work and are just not giving it to you. its just the way it works out. but i do understand that people here havent enjoyed it. but i am friends with people now who are back at the same hostel for the 2nd or 3rd time. so i mean the only thing you can do is give it a go. the drinking in the hostel thing is good cause farmers know which hostels allow drinking and have pubs under them ran by the owners and those hostels dont get good full time work. so its for your own benefit. the weather is good there and a bbq, drinks and all the friends you make down the park is the best banter in the world.  , ireland ()
1   SCAM ARTISTS!!!!!!!!! Arrived here with my brother and stayed here for a few weeks was promised work by Reece, the owners son! Ian and Jan are the 'owners' of this hostel and they are the most rudest, disgusting people I have ever met! Not to mention Emma their receptionist who has a massive chip on her shoulder and in general is rough! Then you have Bob, the 'noise police' who lives in the hostel and walks around telling everyone to 'Shut the f**k up' -- comes in and turns down the tv so you can't hear it and proceeds to call everyone 'a**hole's! They operate on a favoutism basis, they have never heard of 1st come, 1st served here. They give all the pernament poistions to the people who are solely here to earn money and not to gain their 2nd year visa. The 1st morning I awoke I had being bitten by bedbugs and I went and told Ian and he got his back up and accused me of bringing the bedbugs to their hostel. I moved rooms from Number 5 to number 12. Both myself and a girl living in the room got absolutely eaten alive and we went and complained to Ian about this. He stormed into my room on the sunday morning and let a roar out of him to wake me up. He bulled around the room and sprayed my bed, and when I asked him to spray the girl's bed (she has limited english) he screamed at me about this being 'coincedential'!!!??? God only knows what the physco was on about! The couches in the tv room are also full of bedbugs! I had being getting only 4 hours a day working on a sweet potatoe farm, on sunday I went to check the work list and I seen I was put on standby I went into Emma in reception to ask her why, to which she exclaimed that I had being fired off the farm. I told her 'I dont believe that' and Emma roared in my face 'ARE U CALLING ME A LIAR'. Clearly she is not the smartiest woman in the world as that is not actually what I said! I knew that after I had complained about the bedbugs that I would not be getting any further work. I also knew that my farmer had not fired me as I had done nothing, only my work. I went to speak to Ian the following evening and I asked what the farmer had said and Ian stood and told me bare faced lie's that the farmer had said I was 'a slow worker' -- please!! So I called Ian's bluff and pretended that I had rang the farmer and that he didn't know what Ian was talking about. So Ian obviously sh*ting himself rang the farmer at reception and I spoke to my farmer and he denied all knowledge and told me 'no I have not fired you, I don't know what Ian is speaking about'. It was hilarious!!! The face on Ian was priceless. Ian then grabbed the phone off me and said to the farmer, 'but you told me this' and the farmer kept saying NO I DIDN'T!! Ian you are a total idiot!!!!! During this convo at reception I was verbally attacked by Ian and his wife Jan the 'lady' of the house, (but really a feral dog that likes to tut and roll her eyes) I was told to F**K OFF, GET THE F**K OUT OF HERE, and Ian also told me that if I was a bloke he would punch me! I had friends there treated the same. One girl got badly sunburnt on her back the 1st day of work but proceeded to work a further 2 days but her back came out in blisters, she asked for 2 days off to recover. She NEVER recieved anymore work from Ian, Jan or Emma, but she was encouraged to pay for another weeks rent in the promise of getting work -- she NEVER did! A lad I worked with on the farm fell sick on the farm one day and was vomiting everywhere. The farmers rang the hostel to ask them to pick him up but Ian wanted to charge him $20 to pick him up. DISGRACEFUL!!! Kindly the farmer drove him home, however, Ian fired him off the farm because he fell sick!!?? They charge you $6 a day for the bus also -- total scam! They have 3 bed bunk beds, smallest beds in the world -- you cannot even sit on the beds or you will whack your head off the bar! The kitchen is a small, dirty hole and is a breeding ground for coakroaches and Gecko's. They will lie to you and tell you there will be work next week so that you stay on and pay more rent. Avoid this place all together all the rooms are full of bedbugs and Ian is in a deep state of denial!!! Ian claims to read all these reviews. Ian also has a spiral book where people have written comments on it. it's a spiral book Ian you d**k, you can rip all the bad comments out of it. Ian is immensely proud of this spiral book. I got great pleasure in calling Ian's bluff and him falling for the trap. AVOID THIS PLACE ATALL COSTS!!!!  , Irish ()
1   Please Please Please don't go there It was an awful hole of a hostel. I stayed there for about 10 days, only getting 2 days of work. Honestly it's so disgusting, facilities are terrible, and the staff are animals. There's a middle age escaped mental patient called bob who works there. I swear he has absolutely no social skills, all he does is swear at guests and threatens you. I needed to do 3 months to get my visa, luckily I have found work elsewhere. So to sum it up, save your money.  , Ireland ()
1   Scam!!!! Stay away! Im a positive person so lets start out with the good stuff. Pretty good kitchen, decent rooms, decent living room with TV. Thats it!! Now let me tell you my story. First day we got a to work at a sweat potato farm called Akers were we planted, you guessed it, sweat potatoes. 3 hours of work from 12 o'clock under the boiling sun. Why they chose the hottest time of the day I don't know. And they were screaming at us all the time. After that it took me and most others (unless you were asian) a week until we got to work for 7 hours at a zucchini farm called Mustafa. Usually they pay per bucket. But this day all the plants were really bad so there was no good zucchinis to put in the bucket. So they told us we were going to get paid by hour and all we need to do is to clear out all the rubbish from the plants. That day I still decided I had enough so I told the ugly lady in the reception that I wished to check out the next day. She told me they would keep my 50 dollar deposit because I needed to tell them 3 days in advance so they could help the farmers for replacements and so they could put somebody else in the room even thou they only managed to get me less then 10 hours of work over 8 days. I tried to explain to her but she had no understanding and I signed the check out paper. Then it hit me that I could just pay 25 dollar for another night and then at least I would get back my deposit. I went down to the reception again and explained and she said: "Yeah, you could have done that, but you didn't." Now near 2 months after ... I received 16 dollars from Mustafa farm/ 7 hours work (they seem to have payed per bucket anyway) and 0 dollars from Akers farm. And they kept my 50 dollar deposit. I have called and complained and still no results. STAY AWAY! If you do go there still you are probably the most stupid person ever. More stupid than the management there (who one of them were always talking about how he wanted to bring out his gun and shoot the hostel guests).  , Sweden ()
1   AVOID THIS DUMP!!!!!!! I was recently staying at this hostel and Ian, Jan, Reece and Emmma you 4 are the biggest pigs of people I have ever encountered ... especially you Jan! I had next to no work at this hole ... altho 'work is not gauranteed' as they like to repeately say to cover their asses, people who had arrived after me where getting work. Also people who are not even looking to do their 2nd year visa and just want to earn money were given all the pernament work. "Management' operate on a favourtism basis, so unless you enjoy talking to pigs ... these feral people will be your new mates! Have met people in the hostel who's rooms are infested with bed bugs, and management do not give a f**k about them as long as they have their rent they can go to Hungry Tum's to feed their faces.They also fire people off farms without no good cause for doing so. And Jan should stop tutting when someone asks a question ... your meant to be a 'lady' and ladies don't tut and roll their eyes!!! Also they charge $6 a day for the bus to bring people to work ... biggest rip off!!! Kitchen is a small dirty breeding ground for coakroaches!! These people have the biggest chip on their shoulders! They should be ran out of the town. If your not happy then pass on the hostel to someone else that has customer service and has a good attitude! AVOID THIS PLACE PLEASE!!!!!!!  ()
1   Keep away!! As a local I can say that the hostels in Bundaberg is shamefull!! I meet a lot of backpackers and everyone I meet from City Center has been very frustrated with the way staff treats them. How rude they are, throwing out guests without good reasons. The quality of the facility is really bad, the kitchen is really dirty and bad.  , Local ()