Castle Rock Hostel, Edinburgh

Grassmarket
8.9

Castle Rock Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld HostelsClub Booking.com

How is Castle Rock Hostel rated on booking websites?

Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

Beautiful Hostel

Surrounded by other beautiful landmarks of Edinburgh, this hostel does not slack off to compete. The deco was nicely done and the you can see lots of artistic touch to make sure you have a true Scottish experience. The people working there were friendly and helpful, and sometime offer you some free shots as well.

#
Rizalman
2015-08-16
Malaysia

Loved this place!

I loved this place and would recommend it. Great atmosphere and common areas and really helpful and friendly staff.

Kelly
2014-07-08
Age 28 | Australian

Does the job in a good location

Bring earplugs and eyeshades. Busy place. Reasonably clean wash room and showers, did not have to wait. Kitchen adequately equipped but storage is tight, especially in fridges. Clean enough cooking and eating area. Security is good with 24 reception, locks on dorm doors that work, and included lockers that will hold a 48 liter pack. Free movies in the evenings.

James
2014-05-15
Age 62 | USA

One of the Best!

Very hard to find any fault with this great hostel. I arrived in the city without a prior booking and checked out 3 others beforehand, but the terrific location beside the castle and warm welcome won me over straight away. The social areas and kitchen are very spacious and there is also a cinema. Breakfast is basic but only ST1.50 and probably as much as you need to get you on your way. WiFi seemed a little slow at times but that's my only quibble. A quality experience ...

Jake
2014-04-30
Age 40 | Ireland

Home away from home

We stayed in the female only dorm and it was an amazing experience. The staff was very friendly, there was a lot of common area space, the facilities were clean, and we never worried about our stuff. Great location as well. Wifi was iffy, but eh. Would definitely stay here again.

Joanna
2014-02-26

Great vibe

Liked -- Location was fantastic. Staff was friendly and helpful. Dorm rooms had enough outlets for all to charge electronics. Disliked -- the wifi gets really bogged down and sketchy with a full crowd (in fairness, August is a crazy busy time). Wifi did not reach dorm rooms upstairs. I would definitely recommend.

Dave
2013-08-16
Age 27 | USA

Nice hostel, great location.

Chris
2013-07-02
Age 26 | USA

12 bed female dorm

Well,You can't expect too much for a 12 bed female bed dorm. Good -- There is locker for you to keep your valuable item. I like the bathroom, its design is very considerate. Location is great, just next to the Edinburgh Castle, it is good for you to stay here if you are going to join the local tour to highland organised by Timberbush. As the pick up point is at the entrance of the castle which is just a few minutes from the hostel. Bad -- It is weird that all the sockets are at the corner of the room, it is very inconvenient to charge my mobile at night. Overall, everything is fine.

#
GeniusCat
2013-05-14
Age 23 | HONG KONG

Castle Rock Hostel Reviews from the Web

Friendly, easy, clean, lots on offer, central location was the absolute winner.

whylem2690
2022-09-05

Loved my stay at Castle Rock!! Staff were all lovely, atmosphere was really good as theres large common rooms/ kitchens to meet people, and the organised events every night were great. Overall absolutely loved it!

aakqNKI4Hjy46hAe
2022-09-05

A quirky little paradise, very close to Edinburgh castle and with astounding views all around. The staff are INCREDIBLE people, you wouldn't believe how helpful and kind they are while they operate this huge building, hundreds of people, 24/7. This place seems to attract the most interesting people from all over the world, with amazing stories to tell about their lives. Every room is inspiringly themed, wonderfully decorated, and clean all the time I was here. Brilliant. 100/10.

charlicorri5224
2022-09-05

The property was situated right on the the royal mile and close to so many attractions and pubs. The atmosphere of the hostel was great, it was easy to make new friends and the hostel itself ran events every night. Breakfast in the morning was 2.50 and while basic it was good value. My only complaint was there was no hot water in the showers on my last morning.

boothmanfiona9227
2022-09-04

Amazing location, friendly staff, clean facility. All around fantastic stay here!

mleclerc17
2022-09-03

Excellent hostel. I had some trouble checking in and staff were totally amazing. The room I was in was large and very good.

Beds were really comfy and the room key includes a key to a locker. Showers were super clean, modern and the water was really hot. I give it a 10 out of ten. The only negative is the basic breakfast is 2.50 and not really worth it. The Jamaican guy had a fit when I tried to pour a coffee. Treated me pretty horribly. It won't put me off going back though.

Ganderson
2022-09-01

Beautiful hostel with a great location!

It looked a lot like a castle from the inside, very nice!

Also a very big kitchen with a lot of utensils!!

The only problem were the lockers under the bed, quite hard to open and also quite small for our backpacks (50 l).

But all in all, great stay!

aImzs7nGCb9svloH
2022-08-31

Great place, atmosphere is pretty nice, super clean for how many people are staying there and sharing the bathroom areas. Overall pleasant experience and would stay again!

aIZ2uKT6Uom6Sec7

Great hostel

ywhistler9745
2022-08-31

beautiful hostel located right next to the castle in old town! there is great decor and lots of lounges to hang out in. very quaint and really loved my stay there

a1uJzHnvxQ4axphI
2022-08-30

Excellent hostel. Two pillows and a warm blanket on beds. Awesome events, highly recommended the Ceilidh (kay-lee)on Wednesday! It was so much fun! The Edinburgh hostels all come together for events which is great for getting a good size crowd out. Lounge was amazing, staff awesome, breakfasts standard but good. Wifi is dicey, it covers your basics, but if youre doing some remote work like I was it might be slow.

pkamkai7416
2022-08-30

One of the all-time great hostels. Trust me, you won't find better in Scotland or Europe. Two pillows (!!), super clean rooms, super clean bathrooms, plenty of activities and a hostel full of personality and quirks. Cinema Room was a highlight.

PrasNidumolu
2022-08-29

Apart from a couple of inconsiderate people in the dorm making a noise at 7am it was perfect. Super clean, great staff, great location, coffee making facilities and a good kitchen, activities. Everything was great.

And also the most comfy hostel mattress Ive slept on.

mettermatt69
2022-08-29

To be honest, not the best place I've stayed, but easy to improve! First the good - staff were really welcoming and nice, can't fault them whatsoever. Given all the info I needed at check in. Common areas are beautiful and the couches are very comfortable! Breakfast available in the morning, or if you're weird like me, free coffee on an empty stomach. Security was good, with only guests being allowed in with a check system in place, and with a secure room to leave luggage! There are a few things I want to mention, however, that I feel could be improved.

I was in a 4 bed dorm, staying over for a visa application. First thing I noticed was that my locker didn't work, the key didn't even enter it (I didn't mention this to the staff at the time as I was tired and only staying a night) so I didn't have anywhere to keep my documents, and had to carry them around with me. Secondly, I was on a top bunk - and the ceiling sloped down at the end - I'm only 5'9, and my feet were hitting the ceiling when I was laying down, so I can only imagine how uncomfortable it would be if I was taller! This was probably only the case for a few rooms however and I just got unlucky. There is no protection from rolling off the bed either, so good luck, because they're not wide. The room itself was pretty small, if you get a couple of suitcases or large bags in there you'll have no space to move around. There only appeared to be one bathroom for the entire floor, which was not ideal, and there were a few issues with it - the pedal bin didn't work, as you had to lift the lid up with your hand, which in an environment with so many people, is pretty disgusting, especially considering the soap dispensers were empty. The light in one of the toilets was so dim it may as well have not been there. I say this only in the interest of improvement as they are small things, and if I were in Edinburgh again, I would give them another go :)

lloyd963746
2022-08-29

Best hostel someone can find in Edinburgh.. location is just in the city centre...Best Part is the kitchen...all the amenities for cooking is available. Just buy raw food and cook it (if you are lucky you may get some free food and spices left by fellow hostelmates to cook).

For morning only there is breakfast available for norminal fee of 2.5.

Cleanniness is apt.

Overall 10/10

abhichem907546
2022-08-29

Castle Rock was the perfect place to come to for my short trip to Edinburgh. I only stayed for one night but was able to really connect well with staff and admired their beautiful architecture and lounge areas. Their weekly events was also a great way to make new friends at the hostel and experience Edinburgh for low costs! I am definitely coming to stay here again next time!

debzgetachew8455
2022-08-29

You will struggle to find something to complain about. Castle Rock offers everything you expect from a good hostel but then surprises you with so much more! A truly top tier hostel experience.

kieranseanrobinson7470
2022-08-29

Coziest hostel ever! They give you 2 pillows! Such a luxury when you've been traveling a while. They host nightly outings, I joined the pub quiz which was fun! They offer cheap breakfast every morning and free luggage storage if you need to check out late. The hostel is located in the heart of all the touristy sites and attraction which is a pro and con. On a hill, so get ready to climb steps and hills to get here.

caseymoylan9354
2022-08-28

A great location once you're settled in Edinburgh and want a good central spot to explore the city! The shared dorms are BIG and doesn't feel too crowded (we were in the 10bed). Since you're below ground, it's actually not loud at all from the busy streets. Just be sure to have cash for the key fee!

katamarija
2022-08-27

Not sure how someone could rate this below a 10

FirstTraveler
2022-08-27

OVER 18's ONLY - NO CHILDREN ALLOWED

*PLEASE NOTE: Due to having shared facilities, Castle Rock cannot be used for self isolation when arriving in Scotland from a country that requires a day 2 test. Please check your local COVID rules before travelling, as we may need to turn away guests at the door who are forced to self isolate*

If booking for 5 or more people, please contact the hostel directly.

Reception is now open 24/7!

Castle Rock Hostel is fabulously located right beside Edinburgh Castle! Our palatial hostel offers wonderful character, with a mix of grandeur and a backpacker vibe!

Enjoy being in Edinburgh's best location & being at the very heart of the city. We are just a stroll from the bus, train and the airport bus and a 1 minute walk from Edinburgh Castle, 1 minute from the Royal Mile & 1 minute from the Grassmarket. We are in a relatively quiet street but the city's wonderful, late night-life is also just around the corner ideal!

Built in 1846 and turned into a backpackers hostel in 1997, we have packed this grand old building full of art, character and antiquity. Some people say it is more an art gallery or museum than a hostel. We think you will love it with our bright, sunny and spacious rooms and great facilities like FREE Wi-Fi, a movie room, a delightful patio and a fire place for those cold winter nights as well as plenty of room to kick back and relax or join in the fun with other travelers.

Our receptionists will always give you a friendly welcome and can help with any questions about what to see in Edinburgh or about travel around Scotland. We aim to look after you totally so you can have the best holiday possible. Here's a list of more that we offer!

Truly superb location under the castle ramparts
Open 24 hours every day of the year
Bed-side lockers in all rooms
24 hour Safe for total security.
Vibrant atmosphere with a choice of lounges
Pick up point for a Free city walking tour
Big lounge with Jukebox, pool table, piano, free tea & coffee
Luggage storage
Free hair dryers

ART everywhere!
Big screen movie lounge with both Scottish and mainstream movies
Internet lounge with Wi-Fi
Posh lounge with piano and fire place
Hot and powerful showers
Unisex bathrooms (with locked cubicles)
Large self-catering kitchen
Laundry service £4.00
Clean bed linen (with properly fitted sheets)
MacBackpackers tours pick-up point
No hidden charges
No Stag or hen parties
Minutes from the bus and train
Fabulous views over the city
Scottish owned - backpacker run
We also have two other hostels in the Old Town of Edinburgh; the small & vibrant Royal Mile Backpackers and the historic High Street Hostel, Edinburgh's original independent hostel!

Just a few reminders;
We are an 18+ hostel.
We have a 7 night maximum stay- this includes making consecutive separate reservations.
We do not have a lift as we are in a heritage building and all our rooms are either up or downstairs! You will need to walk uphill to get here so be warned your legs will feel the burn but it's oh so worth it!
If you do not show up on the arrival date of your booking you will be charged the first night and the rest of your booking will be cancelled.

SPECIAL CANCELLATION POLICY FOR AUGUST/NEW YEARS / HOGMANAY: All New Years / Hogmanay reservations between the 29th of December and the 1st of January must be cancelled 7 days in advance prior to 2pm on the arrival date. If it is less than 7 days in advance, YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE FIRST NIGHT. FAILURE TO SHOW WILL RESULT IN THE FIRST NIGHT BEING CHARGED AND THE RESERVATION WILL BE CANCELLED.

Go green and carbon neutral; Fifteen years ago we bought a 75+ hectare woodland that absorbs more than the total CO2 emissions from fuel used in our hostel and also the other properties in our small MacBackpackers hostel and bus company chain. We also try our best to re-cycle everything (with your help) and our electricity is all sourced from renewable, non-nuclear supplies. Stay with us for a great holiday and minimal environmental impact!

Castle Rock reserves the right to charge any guest who causes damage to the hostel a fine of up to £100 depending on the severity of the damage caused.

• Directions - bus station
• From the bus station at St Andrews Square head down to Princes Street
• (the main shopping street in Edinburgh) and turn right onto Princes
• Street and then turn left (there's an art gallery on the corner there)
• and go up the Mound. At the top turn right at Deacon Brodies Pub onto
• the Lawnmarket on the Royal Mile and then at the roundabout turn left
• down Johnston Terrace - we're down there on the left hand side. The
• hostel is open 24 hours, so you can check in anytime. Hope this helps
• Directions - train station
• From the railway station take the Market Street exit, turn right onto
• Market Street and walk up the hill and at the top turn left onto North
• Bank Street. At the top turn right onto the Lawnmarket on the Royal Mile
• and then at the roundabout turn left down Johnston Terrace and we're down
• there on the left hand side. The hostel is open 24 hours, so you can
• check in anytime. Hope this helps.
• Directions - airport
• From the airport take bus 100 (costs £3.50) into the city centre and get
• off at Waverley Bridge (the last stop).
• From there walk down the hill and turn right onto Market Street, walk up
• the hill and at the top turn left onto North Bank Street. At the top
• turn right at Deacon Brodies Pub onto the Lawnmarket on the Royal Mile
• and then at the roundabout turn left down Johnston Terrace - we're down
• there on the left hand side. The hostel is open 24 hours, so you can
• check in anytime. Hope this helps.

Address: 15 Johnston Terrace, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland