Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI), Glendalough

Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI), Glendalough (edit listing)

Top Location Family-Friendly Hostel Groups (10+ people) Solo Traveller

Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) is listed at the following booking sites:

The Hostelz.com Review

Glendalough International Youth Hostel is located right in Glendalough National Park on the edge of Wicklow Mountains National Park. It is the fourth stop on the one-hundred-thirty-one-kilometer Wicklow Way, and many guests undertake this route, so expect to see some foot-weary guests. The modern building that houses the hostel is cosy and comfortable and something akin to a country retreat. It is well positioned to explore the sixth century monastic site that once existed here, or to undertake any of the other day walks around the mountains, lakes, and countryside of the surrounding region.

The hostel is only a short, five-minute walk from Glendalough Monastic Site and ten kilometers from Glenmacnass Waterfall. Glendalough itself is an hour-and-half drive from Dublin or can be reached by local buses that also connect with train routes out of Dublin.

For walkers on the Wicklow Way, it is the fourth stop, and many elect to stay an extra night here to explore other sights in the wooded valley, where it is also possible to go fishing, rock climbing, or pony trekking.

Glendalough (Gleann dá Loch) translates from Irish Gaelige to “Valley of the Two Lakes,” and given its beauty, it is a popular destination. There is a also a visitor centre located near the hostel and the monastic site.

Two-, four-, six-, and eight-bed rooms are available at the youth hostel and all have en suite bathrooms. The rooms feature bunk beds with pull-out storage underneath the bottom bunk. This can be locked to ensure the security of your items, but takes up most of the walking space when pulled out. Bed linen is included in the price.

Communal areas include a TV lounge, two conference rooms, and a kitchen where you can self-cater or order dinner or breakfast. Free Wi-Fi is available in the reception area and there is also parking available for guests outside. Guests may also avail themselves of laundry facilities, a BBQ area, and bike rentals.

Summary

Glendalough is without doubt one of Ireland’s most beautiful visitors’ destinations, but that also means it's very popular. You should book in advance, particularly for weekends, and don't come expecting to wander the monastic site or tracks alone, as there will be plenty of other visitors.
View from the main road
In the driveway
Common areas
Lounge room
Dorm room
Dorm room

Hostelz.com Staff Reviewer Jo

Published on 2016-09-29

Address: Monastic Settlement, Glendalough (Gleann Da Loch), County Wicklow, Ireland

Coordinates: 53.011530, -6.330380 (accuracy not guaranteed)

Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) is listed on the following booking sites:

Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) at Hostelworld Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) at Hostelworld Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) at Booking.com Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) at Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub Not listed at HostelsClub

Website Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) Glendalough (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +353 (0) 404 45342

Good value, excellent service

I stayed here with four other adults in June 2007. There was a glitch with our booking at check-in and staff were very helpful in sorting it out. They really went the extra mile to help us, again, when one of our party was injured and we had to extend our stay beyond the original plan. Breakfast was an extra charge, but well worth it. Food was delicious. I would stay here again.

Catherine Penn

2009-02-26

Not worth the money

We spent the weekend in Ireland and spent one day in Glendalough. We slept the night there as we thought it was a low budget hostel. Actually it was the most expensive youth hostel ever visited -- 50 euros for two persons in a room with four separate beds with lowest possible quality mattresses (you feel the springs). The rooms are clean but there is no warm water in the shower and its really cold in the room. And if you want to have a breakfast you have to pay extra. At the end it is more expensive than a nice Bed and Breakfast in Dublin, so this hostel is absolutely not worth your money. The only problem is that there is not really any other place to go in Glendalough, and they know that, that's why they make it so expensive. A pity because the area is really beautiful!

Elise

(NL)
2009-01-26

Not so Great at All

Ok, so the common areas look pretty nice. The downside is that the rooms are not so nice. We had a large group and stayed in the dormitory-style rooms -- six of us to one room and one bathroom. The beds were the most uncomfortable beds I have slept on. They were hard and had springs poking out all over the place. The pillows were like rocks, and could easily have been used as weapons. There was nowhere to lock anything valuable up, which was fine for us, because we knew everyone in our room, but might be a problem for other people. Also, one of the other girls got bit several times from something in the bed. The shower wasn't a great experience, and left me feeling more dirty than when I got in the shower. It is one of those showers that you have to keep pushing to get the water to come out (like you see on faucets on sinks). That didn't bother me too much, but not being able to control the water temperature kind of sucked. It was too hot for me, but for the girl who went before me, it hadn't heated up all the way, and was rather cold. Our bedroom also had a hole in the wall that went all the way outside. Instead of fixing the hole, whoever has just stuffed sheets in it. I know of at least one other room that had this problem as well. So, basically, it could have been much worse, but it was by no means an experience I would repeat. Oh yeah, I forgot the food -- it wasn't bad, at least what I had (lasagna and bread and dessert) and breakfast wasn't bad either. However, the packed lunch wasn't great by any means.

ick

2007-06-02

i visited this hostel with my scout troop last year and we all thought it was fabulous! the dorms were nice and clean and so were the bathrooms and everywhere! there was great facilities in the hostel and the dining room and kitchen was also very hygienic and tidy and kept in good condition.

Katie

2006-11-03

We stayed there for two nights. It is really ok, but the rooms and showers were dirty, everywhere dead moskitos on the walls, spiders, dirt and dust. The self-serving kitchen is closed between eleven in the morning and two in the afternoon. And the TV room is also the entrance hall. for breakfast they charge you extra. the beds were not that good.

the good things about the hostel are that they have a washing machine and there is also internet, but it's a bit expensive.

Lisa

2006-08-16

I stayed in this hostel on my Ireland trip and I didn't find the staff very cooperative. If you have bad luck you will have to deal with those who don't bother about your problems. The staff should be more obliging, I find. I stayed there for three nights and I was made to move out of the room every night. Some of the rooms are very cold, if you are unlucky you might have to sleep on a mattress on the floor. The showers don't have a temperature control and the bathrooms are not too clean. If you don't want the hostel food, you either have to bring your own or walk for about twenty minutes alongside the road or a longer route in the woods. Glendalough, though, is a very beautiful place.

anonymous

2006-05-10

My group went to the United Kingdom in July 2004, and this was the first place we stayed. If I were told to recommend this place to someone, I wouldn't. It was cold, the bathrooms were dirty, and there was a mouse in one of the girl's room. There was only one good part about staying here, and that was a friend i made, Monster.(He lives with his grandmother saomewhere around here). I definitely would not reccomend this to anyone.

A student ambassador

2006-01-10

Very nice place to stay! Very friendly staff, clean, nice bedrooms and a big kitchen. Hope I can come again here.

Tom

2005-11-05

How is Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI) rated on booking websites?

Cleanliness

Atmosphere

Overall

Hostelworld (1046 Reviews)

Hostels.com (3 Reviews)

Overall

Rate Glendalough Youth Hostel (HI)

Family-Friendly Hostel

Groups (10+ people)

Bike Rental

Currency Exchange

Live Music/Performance

#

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 11 PM (08:00-23:00)

#

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)