Jazz on the Villa Hostel, New York City

Jazz on the Villa Hostel, New York City (edit listing)

Address: 12 West 129th Street, Manhattan - Harlem, New York City (NYC), New York, USA

Coordinates: 40.809035, -73.941466 (accuracy not guaranteed)

Jazz on the Villa Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld Not listed at Hostelworld Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at Hostelsclub.com Not listed at Hostelsclub.com
Phone Number: +1 (212) 722-6252

Great

I stayed here three nights and had a blast. The price was great. I was here in the winter and I was always able to use the shower in the morning and there were some dishes in the kitchen but I brought a few of my own travel dishes so I could make my oatmeal. I enjoyed staying in Harlem and I felt pretty safe.

Beth

2009-10-27

A Gem

First, the value ($16) was outstanding. This hostel is well run, with effective staff. The plumbing is new, check-out the flush. I saw cleaning everyday. We weren't kicked-out if we came back in the middle of the day. But, they did enforce the closed kitchen and quiet time 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. This is a hostel Harlem can be proud of to host visitors. They do a good job of keeping this open to legit hostelers. Cons, the shower rooms could use a shelf or some hooks. I would think twice during high season, as space is cramped. Bring those earplugs for snorers.Bookings over Christmas are $40-plus in the fourteen-dorm room.

scott

(canadian)
2009-10-24

One big problem

i won't suggest to stay here. they seem to have one big problem called "overbooking." i arrived there on a friday morning and i was told they didn't receive my reservation cause they had the internet down for a week(!). in the end they found me a bed, but other people arriving later with their reservations weren't so lucky. they were asked to find some other accommodation (almost impossible on that ny weekend). they were let call from there other places, but for sure they had to spend more money, and no one is going to reimburse them of course. i was told by a staff member that is always like this. the young staff was let to deal with these issues, no person in charge showed during this problematic situation. the place itself is not bad, the building is nice, but the toilets weren't working that good.

fab

(italy)
2008-05-17

Cold and Boring

The room rates do not include tax, prepare to pay at least an additional 13% on top of whatever is advertised. The beds are uncomfortable, there's nowhere to put your stuff because the dorms are overcrowded. The staff don't know very much, are all young and not from the area so don't really have any information. The downstairs is so cold you have to wear your coat indoors, there is always a queue for the bathroom and any advertised 'nights out' or 'activities' are rarely attended by anyone other than the staff.

Sarahk

(UK)
2008-02-26

There are better hostels for the same price

The one good thing about this hostel was the staff, they were helpful and friendly and available twenty-four hours. However, this was about the only good thing. The bathrooms were filthy, the showers barely draining so your feet are covered with water, and if someone has just been in, you have to wait for it to drain before you can have a shower. For a young woman on her own, harlem is an intimidating place. The beds are also very narrow and don't feel particularly stable. There are much better hostels in new york for a similar price.

hewsybaby

(UK)
2007-07-17

well, after the initial freaking out that this place was in harlem, we were pleasantly surprised. The building from the outside looked promising and we were greeted by a bright reception (complete with chandelier!). The place is very clean and nicely decorated, the bathrooms could be nicer. However, we did have a few problems when we arrived, the lock for our door wasn't working (although, they gave us a room to put our luggage in and it was fixed a few hours later). The air con in the room wasn't working at all, we stayed in august and to be in a room without it was awful so they moved us to another room the next night. Overall it was a nice place and for $13 a night at the last minute, you cant really complain. Harlem isn't all bad, we didn't have any bad experiences and we were four blonde white girls! it was an experience though!

anonymous

2006-11-19

They say on their website that this is a newly renovated hostel but the building is old and they have a "problem with mice!" I certainly saw no signs of renovation! We had to chase mice out of our room several nights during our stay. Also, you don't stand a chance of getting to use the toilet or shower between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. as every single one in the hostel will be in constant use. The kitchen does not supply dishes or cutlery and the lounge area closes at midnight, so there's no chance of getting to socialise after that time. Harlem is a safe location but it'd be worth paying a few extra dollars to be closer to midtown/downtown Manhattan!

Lisa

2006-10-15

the most excellent thing is price -- $14 per night! and there is a shared kitchen at the first floor. microwave oven, gas, refrigerator, dining table. location is harlem and i am sataying there for almost three weeks but i didn't experience any bad thing (violence or sex crime). but this hostel has just begun on july of 2006, so some computer problem has occorred and booking or reservation does not work well sometimes. but if you come here you can understand that here is very peaceful place to stay.

Taroji

2006-08-21

How is Jazz on the Villa Hostel rated on booking websites?

Cleanliness