Eugene Whiteaker International Hostel

The Hostelz.com Review

Regardless of why you want to stay in Eugene (maybe a college visit, sporting event, or a good night's rest between Portland and California), spending the night at Eugene Whiteaker International Hostel will enrich the unique culture of your visit.

As the name implies, Eugene Whiteaker International Hostel is in the Whiteaker neighborhood of Eugene. While it's a couple miles away from University of Oregon and other attractions, it still has the vibe of an artistic college town. A few restaurants and other businesses are less than a block away.

The hostel is very easy to get to by car, and street parking is free and abundant. If you prefer to travel on foot or by bike, you can safely and easily get across town by using the Eugene Riverwalk. This trail/bike path is less than a mile north of the hostel, with access points to parks, businesses, and the university.

When it comes to rooms, Eugene Whiteaker International Hostel has male, female, mixed, and private options. Dorms have a couple bunk beds (the capacity for most of the rooms is four), with bedding included. Guests are given a key, with which they can choose to lock the room. Large cabinets are provided to store belongings. The rooms are kept very clean.

Both en suite and separate bathrooms are available. While clean and fully functioning, the only downside to the hostel is found in the bathrooms. They can be fairly small without many places to hang towels or set toiletries down. The tub in the female bathroom drains slowly, so you may be standing in several inches of water while showering. Other than that, they do seem to make the best out of the footprint of the building when it comes to bathrooms.

Common spaces are abundant. The backyard is a popular hangout in good weather, and is filled with eclectic art and the only smoking area on premises. The large kitchen includes everything you need for cooking and food storage, computers, a dining room table, games, and art supplies. Between the backyard and kitchen is another hang-out room with couches. Want a quieter area? Upstairs there's a reading room; plenty of reading material is found throughout the hostel. Wi-Fi is also available everywhere.

Summary

Despite how well known the Oregon Ducks are, it's surprising that this hostel isn't known as the go-to place for Ducks fans and prospective college students. It is, however, a highly recommended accommodation that offers a great value for its services!
by Jessica Lippe
Backyard
Reading Room
Female Dorm
Bathroom

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Eugene Whiteaker International Hostel" at 970 West 3rd Avenue.)

970 West 3rd Avenue, Eugene, Oregon, USA
44.056233, -123.107408 (accuracy not guaranteed)
Eugenehostels.com
+1 (541) 343-3335

How is Eugene Whiteaker International Hostel rated on other websites?

Quiet, clean, friendly, efficient
I was pleased to find the staff helpful and open, friendly. The room let me feel almost at home. I'd come back here anytime!
allan
Age 69, USA
2015-09-22

Nice atmosphere in a cool town
We stayed in the private double room for one night. The room was nice, but it would have been nice to have had a private bathroom and not share with the noisy people in the dorm next door! The hostel itself had a lovely atmosphere and we would have loved to have been able to stay longer. Maybe another time!
Krystyna
(UK)
2013-11-13

Place was good, roommate not so much
The hostel itself was pretty cool, they even had a music room with a bunch of instruments for anyone to play. Nice staff and generally friendly atmosphere. My only problem was the old drunkard for a roommate, constantly yelling in his sleep and having total inconsideration for others as far as noise in the morning and night. I know that I and the staff cannot tell anyone how to live their life, if this old guy wants to drink himself away, that's his choice. But perhaps the staff could take better care with their alcohol policies and what's allowed in the dorms. If you choose to stay at this hostel, beware of old drunk folks!
Patrick
Age 25, USA
2013-07-06

Coolest hostels for college age students
Staying in a Hostel is cheaper than a motel or hotel, if you are a traveling student on a tight budget. At this hostel, it is even funner because it gives a dorm like atmosphere where a person can sleep in and have a nice time by walking a few blocks before reaching downtown or chilling with the cute twenty something college guys. Sue, the short but funny girl is fun to hang out with and can drive or show you around town but she is a little bit new. If you are bored, try flirting with the three twenty-something college guys.
(Arcata, California (Humboldt County))
2012-03-06

Needs cleaning -- Dirty sheets, weevils in oatmeal
I have stayed at the Eugene-Whiteaker hostel twice, once in a pvt bunk rm (2009) and recently in the pvt "Master's room" (2/2012) that is entered through a bunk room that contains the shared bathroom. I was prepared for the 1972 San Francisco music scene posters in the hall, brown tile/grout floor with gray tile/grout bathroom sink and early 70's color scheme and decor generally (wicker fans on the walls as art; brown color scheme); which doesn't necessarily give one a feeling of cleanliness, but had no problems when I stayed previously. Therefore, we were extremely disappointed to find very soiled sheets with a bug (louse maybe?) crawling in it when we turned down our bed upon returning late from a movie. Luckily, clean sheets were available in the laundry room for us to change. There was not any space available to stand a quart of milk in either of the 2 dirty refrigerators, containing unlabeled/undated food, and weevils were crawling in the make-your-own oatmeal that is available for bkfst. Crumbs were cleaned from the bathroom counter on day 2, but the clumps of dirt on the floor between the linoleum and carpet in our room was present throughout the 3 days we were there. Some staff do live there full time, as do young college students. Therefore, it is quite dorm-like. We were there on week nights, which were quiet except for the train. The front door is kept unlocked until 11PM; the access codes were not used during our stay. I was glad that our room had a key lock, since I wasn't sure about the safety of our belongings with such easy access. The location is not in walking distance to downtown Eugene or any parks, but there are great dining/organic grocery shopping and over-21 entertainment that is.
Cynthia
2012-02-29

Good hostel with a few little issues
Nice hostel. Excellent location in an interesting neighborhood close to good grocery stores, restaurants, a microbrewery and a riverfront park. Courteous staff with prompt service. Main location is relatively quiet though a train goes by with some regularity. I slept through it. The annex is closer to the train tracks and I've heard guests and residents there say it's a lot harder to sleep there. The only issues were: My reservations, which I made online, did not match what was in the hostel's computer system, and I did not wind up getting the type of room I booked online. Luckily, they worked things out and I got a room at all. Some folks who arrived after me were not so lucky. I suggest contacting the hostel directly in advance to confirm you have the room and location you think you reserved. The staff and their friends hang out at the main location when not working (apparently staff live at the hostel) so it can get congested, especially the kitchen, and many of them smoke outside in the garden. They have only one kitchen with one stove, and it can be hard to get stove space with the many staff cooking their food. Several private rooms are located off of a dorm so they are not as quiet as a typical private bedroom and the private rate seems a bit unfair. Contact the hostel to make sure you know what you're reserving.
2011-05-03

Comfortable, but noisy
Although the hostel was nice, and had many amenities, my stay there was not restful. People were talking loudly outside of my room late into the night. I also heard a lot of doors being slammed around the place. Furthermore, it isn't in a very nice neighborhood, and the wifi didn't work. I was planning to stay there for several nights, but after my first night there, I decided to get a motel room in town, which was cheaper and much more comfortable and quiet.
(United States)
2011-01-19

Enjoyed my stay
I had planned on renting a private room. The lady at the desk recommended a 2 person dorm, for $27 a night. I was in there by myself, which was great. The kitchen was large and well stocked. They serve a small breakfast and coffee. The location was very safe, and near some cool bars and a natural foods market. They have a projection tv with tons of free movies, and a large backyard. The only downside is the all day lockout, if you're staying more than one night.
Jack Zoff