Venice Beach
8.0
Digital Nomads Solo Traveller

Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd is listed at the following booking sites:

It is the only way to book Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd

How is Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd rated on booking websites?

Overall
Cleanliness
Staff
Atmosphere
Security

Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd Reviews

It's taken me a while to review but i haven't forgotten this great place. The staff were excellent, so friendly and professional. They are there to answer your questions and the hostel felt like a home away from home. The rooms were lovely and clean. Also it was a quiet place to relax and have good conversations and a good night sleep. Plenty of space too. Overall a great experience. I would highly recommend it.

Louise
2015-03-10
Age 39 | Ireland

Ugly but clean

it was difficult to find so it took us an hour to first find the hostel, then the "office" and finally the hostel again -- and our "room". we booked the private room and got a closet with a rather small bed. the kitchen was clean, the bathroom as well. there were only 2 other guests that night and they were nice. the staff was super nice! our opinion -- if you wanna have a nice private room and a little bit of comfort, don't stay there. if you wanna spend as little money as possible and a 20-30 mins walk to the beach isn't any problem for you, book now.

Althea
2014-11-28
Age 34 | Austria

Why can't you put bed frames on the top bunks?

I don't understand it! You leave the top bunks on all the beds without frame sidings? After a night of drinking, anyone in their right conscious would move a little in the night and then fall right off the bed. Probably you would break your neck. Even if you aren't drinking, it's scary having no railing. Please fix this.

Orlando
2014-05-03

STAY AWAY!!

Do NOT go there!! unless you are a kamikaze and you would like to kill everyone and sanitize the premises with a huge explosion ... yes there is not other ways to make it hygienic enough. do not forget to kill the staff ... you will regret it.

Andrea
2013-05-07
Age 26 | Italian

Total slum

You are not this desperate. You will never be this desperate. Do yourself a favour, click away from this page and save yourself. It's not too late. Privacy? Hygiene? Sanitation? Beds? All is lost. Chaos reigns. Welcome to Venice Beach Hostel, Yale. Save yourself now from bedbug bites, unsanitary showers, an overwhelming stench of urine. Save yourself from sleeping on the floor on a foam block snuggled up next to strangers. Save yourself. Run. Run. Run. I repeat, You are not this desperate. Sleeping on the sidewalk is a better and more sanitary option. We were unlucky to find it. Perhaps the member of staff who took our booking wanted to save us. Perhaps that is why he gave us completely inaccurate and obscure directions from the bus station. Against all odds, as we were supplied with the wrong bus number and the name of a nonexistent bus stop, the kindness of strangers delivered us to our unhappy fate -- We'd booked in for three nights. Beware the squalor that lies within. Externally this place looks ok. Even the ground floor looks ok. But what lurks upstairs is another world. A world where sanitation is abandoned, where guests' are treated to sweat shop style accommodation. Foam blocks are lined up on the floor (beds are few and far between in this pit). Some poor sod was actually sleeping on a foam block under the stairs. The carpets of the loft' are ridden with filth, the walls visibly soiled, the retro sheets pretty suspect, the lighting' is a desktop lamp (probably best not to see too much of this place anyway though) and the heat stifling.(there's only a desktop fan provided). Sickened by our room', anxious that we might need to share the foam blocks with a stranger (as the proprietor advised may be necessary) and concerned by the blatant disregard for any basic standards of hygiene, we ventured downstairs to the bathroom hoping to wash away the contaminating squalor contracted by sitting on the foam blocks for a mere 5 minutes. Oh the bathroom. The unisex bathroom with one shower cubicle. The bathroom where you have to exit that shower cubicle straight into the shared space where multiple bodies may be shaving/preening/brushing teeth/dressing at any one time. Oh the bathroom with no soap. The bathroom with random holes in the floor. The bathroom with the archaic, rotting furniture. The bathroom which you leave feeling dirtier than when you entered. Oh yes, fond memories. Desiring not to spend another moment amidst the filth, we roamed the streets until nightfall hoping to find some hard liquor that would impair our faculties and enable us to endure the filth for a mere night before we found an alternative. Tired, exhausted and reluctant we re-entered the filth. We clambered over bodies to our foam blocks. Oh squalor sweet squalor. We awoke to find that there had been a party as we slept. A bedbug party. The angry red plethora of bites testified that the bedbugs had had quite the delectable feast on my back. Enough was enough. We fled, we fled fast. We went to the beach (which incidentally is more like a 25min walk than the 15 minutes the staff claim - unless of course you're running as we were) and sought alternative accommodation. We tried to check out and get a refund for the 2 nights we wouldn't be sleeping on our foam blocks. We were denied a refund. I was requested to prove I had bedbug bites, this was achieved only by unbuttoning my dress to expose my lower/mid-back region. The indignity. Refund denied. We staged a sit-in. After three hours, feeling weak from the contaminating stench, we received a partial refund for only one night out of three. If you think you are desperate enough for this place make sure you view your room'/space sleeping on the floor before you pay. However, I suggest you seek alternative refuge in a bin. It would be more hygienic.

Noris
2012-09-02
Uk

Great for low maintenance travelers

Having stayed at few other hostels, I have little to compare this place to. However my needs were very simple and limited to foot travel to the beach and training at the Inosanto Academy just down the street. Yes there is no lock on the front door, yes it's a little grungy, but I have never in my 6 visits ever seen an issue with this establishment. I've never had valuables stolen, never heard guests complain about valuables stolen, never saw anyone excessively unsavory present. The atmosphere is all around pleasant and the beds are warm. Local food tends to be very tasty and the facilities (bath, laundry) were more than adequate for my needs. Yeah, there are plenty of 'interesting' characters that walk in, but that's part of the fun. I'd easily recommend this hostel for travelers that travel light or need a place to stay. Just be sure you know what your needs are.

Jon V
2011-06-06

The Greatest Days Of My Life

Wow, in 1987 i was eighteen and working in the Baja Cantina in Marina Del Ray (up the road, near the beach) and ended up staying at the Hostel for a couple of nights. I was there for eleven months. I met the greatest people from around the world and had the best craic i ever had in my life. It definitely was a bit grungy and yes the front door didnt have a lock and you never knew who was going to walk through the door but the people that did were some of the most incredible people i ever met. I think of them often and on and off am in touch with some. I even married one (the one and only), a beautiful English rose, Julie. so watch out this place really can change your life! At the very least it's cheap and not too far from the beach so that can't be too bad. If you've got a sense of adventure and aren't too fussy this is the place for you. That stain on the blanket was there back then too, it's an anti theft device that really works but who needs blankets in L.A. anyway. Your food will be shared by the guests who are hungry and broke but it's only ham and cheese from the 7-11.

Dermot + Julie
2009-01-23
Irish + English

False Advertising

Stayed here for a week in August. "Private room" was in a converted first-floor flat five hundred meters down the road from the main "hostel." Very dirty and in poor condition despite web advertisement we'd seen saying it had been recently renovated. Only one bathroom for two private rooms and a six-bed dorm, the toilet was not separate from the bathroom. Some guy seemed to be living there, out to work each morning and back smoking in the lounge with his feet up on the coffee table watching TV each night. Not a place worth the money, for an extra $10 a night a couple could probably get a much nicer motel room.

Scott Furness
2008-10-03
New Zealand

Address: 716 Washington Boulevard, Venice Beach, Los Angeles, California, USA

Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub

Website Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd Los Angeles www.venicebeachhostel.com
Phone Number: +1 (310) 301-3983

Digital Nomads

Bike Rental

Meeting/Banquet facilities

Videogames

Reception Hours: 9.00am- 9.00pm

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)

Rate Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd