Orange Drive Hostel, Los Angeles

Hollywood
8.6

Orange Drive Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Orange Drive Hostel rated on booking websites?

Orange Drive Hostel Reviews

I enjoyed every bit of my stay here

The area is Fantastic! Near the entirety of that is essential to see in Los Angeles. You can walk all over the place. The main things that are a forty-five-minute transport ride away are the beaches, and Disneyland is excessively, however, there is an assortment of transportation accessible to get you there. The staff are extraordinary! They are inviting and accommodating. The inn is an old mansion. It is greater than it looks from the front of the house. It has a beautiful nursery in the front with a yard to hang out and mingle. Each room is extraordinary and comfortable. It made me feel like I was at home. It's a tranquil and loosening up understanding. I would prescribe this experience who needs to be the place all the activity is, and to any individual who preferences novel antique sort homes with a well disposed and quiet environment.

#
anonymous
2019-08-08

Nice but could be better

This hostel has nice rooms and comfortable beds. It is kind of expensive and they charge you for parking EACH day you are there. I was planning to stay in town for a week. If they offered a weekly rate and gave you a discount on parking I would have considered staying the whole week, but it isn't a good value in the long run. There was a creepy little guy who hung around in a tiny house/shed in the parking lot. Every time I went to my car, he would pop out and stare at me the whole time I was there. Sometimes he would say something random to force a reply out of me. My parking permit was clearly displayed in my window, so he was going way overboard and after about the 3rd time-it did take me a few trips to get things out of my car-this became downright annoying. I asked the front desk about him, because I didn't know if he actually worked for a hostel or was a creepy homeless guy lurking on the premises. They confirmed that he did, so that was some relief, but still, he creeped me out, so I would try to get in and out of my car quickly to avoid him. If this place offered a weekly rate, better parking rate, and didn't have a creepy guy lurking in the parking lot, I might stay here the next time I'm in town. It would also help if they put a combination on the back door so you could get in and out instead of having to haul your luggage all the way around the building to the front door.

Mary
2014-09-01

Nice location and nice living quality

The location is pretty nice (just five mins from the theaters and one stop from universal studio) and the hostel it self is quite cozy. The only problem is that the kitchen is too small for people to cook at the same time. Besides this, everything is nice, i probably would stay here again if i come back to la and seeking for hostels.

Iris
2013-09-10
Taiwan

Response from the accommodation:

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Kind Regards, Orange Drive Hostel

A creepy orphanage out of a horror movie

I admire anyone who can close their eyes in this place because it is awful, the guy in the front desk is very strange in a terrible way, there is an old woman who pops out of nowhere from everywhere, the rooms are orphanage like rooms from a century ago, do not even stay here if you're desperate!

Ana
2012-10-13
Mexico

Response from the accommodation:

Thank you for your review. Our home is over 100 years old and is a historic Hollywood landmark. It was privately owned and later turned into a guest home. Celebrities like Marilyn Monroe stayed here in the 1950's when the house was known as Orange Drive Manor and was a guest house for the entertainment industry. We have undergone major renovations and changes in management starting in 2012. We appreciate your review. Kind Regards, Orange Drive Hostel

Great location, nice laid-back hostel.

I really like this one. Pros: first of all the location. This has to be the best spot in Hollywood, right next to the Kodak theatre and right next to the metro stop and tourist information at Hollywood and Highland. Still, it's very quiet. It doesn't get any better than this, the perfect spot to discover Hollywood, and downtown LA. The building is a huge old mansion with a lot of atmosphere. Cheap parking available. Everything is clean so no complaints there either. The staff is nice and reception is manned till 1am. cons: no breakfast in the hostel, internet costs 5$ (one time fee).

bottom line: not a party-hostel, and your social experience will very much depend on who's staying there at the time. Sometimes it's very social, sometimes its boring. It all depends. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see the area.

John Hamburger
2010-10-08
Belgium

Response from the accommodation:

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The hostel has undergone many changes since your stay. The reception is now open until 4:00 am, we offer a free breakfast of all-you-can-make waffles, pancakes, and oatmeal. We also offer assorted teas, hot chocolate and coffee available all day. The WI-FI is now free of charge and works all over the hostel. We also offer a pub crawl on select nights. We appreciate your review. Kind Regards, Orange Drive Hostel

It was fine

I was here four days. It's in a good location if you want to see hollywood but not the beaches. Staff was very nice. Didn't run into any mean old lady or rude staff. I guess the new management really did change staff. I'd recommend doing Hollywood at this hostel for two days then run off to a beach hostel. Good stuff -- Great building, nice big room. Very cozy. Nice location. Easy to get to. Close to the action of Hollywood. Right next to metro so it's easy to get to universal, convention center, little tokyo. Lots of buses nearby too. Easy to get to the studios by bus/etc if you want to do the TV audience thing. Bad stuff -- There wasn't much of a common area. There was a TV room but that was it. I believe there might have been a couch right near the private rooms but I don't want to bother anyone there. The front door key has to be changed. It opens the door by key, not by unlocking then turning/pushing a knob. They give you regular key copy for it which means it's a flimsy key from the hardware store. Very first time I used it, it broke in the lock. They replaced it but the next key was bending a lot after only two uses. I was so paranoid about it breaking again. I didn't want to look like I was irresponsible but it really was the keys, not me. I tried as hard as I could to turn the key as carefully as possible but you're talking a heavy duty lock opening with a flimsy key. All they have to do is make a small investment in some other locking mechanism, maybe a code lock or something. In fact, I would love to stay in this hostel again but because I know this front door is like this, I won't. I'm too scared I'll get locked out with nobody around to open the door.

Chris
2007-11-15

Fabulously Unique!

The location is Fantastic! Close to all that's important to see in Los Angeles. You can walk almost everywhere. The only things that are a forty-five-minute bus ride away is the Beaches, and Disneyland is far too, but there is a variety of transportation available to get you there. The staff are great! They are friendly and very helpful. The hostel is a old Mansion. It is bigger than it looks from the front of the house. It has a lovely garden in the front with a patio to hang out and socialize. Each room is unique, and cozy. It made me feel like I was at home. It's a quiet and relaxing experience. I would recommend this experience who wants to be where all the action is, and to anyone who likes unique antique type homes with a friendly and calm atmosphere.

Guiomar Juliao
2007-10-05
Portugal

terrible! Too expensive, owner is very greedy, makes you switch off the light in your room to save electricity. Also this hostel is as I am told without license, so this makes it an illegal place.

jo
2007-01-29

We are centrally located in the heart of Hollywood and just a two minute walk from the world famous Chinese Theater, the Walk of Fame, the Dolby Theater- Home of the Oscars, views of the Hollywood sign, public transportation, the best night life, shopping and restaurants in Hollywood, Walking distance to Sunset Blvd and Runyon Canyon, a favorite hiking trail of celebrities with fantastic views of the Hollywood Sign. And we are just a short drive or bus/metro stop away from Universal Studios, Paramount Studios, Warner Brothers Studios, The Grove, and Beverly Hills!

Orange Drive Hostel is the perfect location for Movie Premieres, Star Dedications and major Hollywood events!
Our newly renovated rooms, patio garden, BBQ area and kitchen are our latest upgrade to make your stay more comfortable. We offer clean, spacious and unique dorm and private rooms.
For your safety our staff remains on the premises and we have a state of the art video security system.
Our expanded breakfast offerings, and free and discounted amenities make us the best place to stay in Hollywood.

Setting us apart from other LA Hostels is our calm atmosphere. You are just steps away from all of the action Hollywood has to offer but you can still have a peaceful environment in which to rest.
We offer many amenities including:

Free daily breakfast of all-you-can-make waffles, pancakes, oatmeal and free coffee, assorted teas and hot chocolate served all day.
Free WiFi
Free lockers (bring your own lock)
Free day storage of luggage before check-in and after check-out
ATM
Patio BBQ
Laundry facilities
Free laundry detergent
Towels for hire (towels included with en suite rooms)
Fully equipped guest kitchen
Common room w/HD flat screen TV and free Movies, (No TVs in rooms)
Parking available
No Curfew
Discount shuttle service to/from airport (Primetime shuttle and Super shuttle)
Universal Studios tickets for sale
Discounted pub crawl with LA Epic Club Crawls
Hostel Hopper pick-up and drop-off location to major attractions.
Our hostel is known for its old Hollywood glamour, originally a manor home built in the 1920’s. It later became a boarding house for some of Hollywood’s biggest stars including Marilyn Monroe, Gary Cooper, Rita Hayworth, Kim Novak, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Johnny Weissmuller “Tarzan” and many more. It also played host to many of their friends such as Clark Gable who lived down the street. Our guests stay in a historic, comfortable, home filled with Hollywood History. Take a step back in time and experience old Hollywood glamour.

(Although we are not a “party hostel” our location is just a two minute walk to all the action and we have all the information you need to enjoy Hollywood’s best nightlife. We offer a relaxed atmosphere, that’s perfect for independent travelers, who enjoy a good night’s rest.)

Open 7:00 am to 4:00 am (rooms are not guaranteed ready until 3:00 pm ) If checking in December 24th, 25th, 31st, January 1st, or during Thanksgiving (November) please email to request holiday hours and make special arrangements.

Additional key deposit required. Refundable upon checkout.
Please make request if travelling with small children or more than two guests/extra charges may/will apply.
Methods of payment accepted: (Visa, American Express, MasterCard, Discover, Travelers Checks, and Cash)

Address: 1764 North Orange Drive, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 16

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Reception Hours: 7 AM - 4 AM

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Orange Drive Hostel