Wailuku
8.3
+50 Traveller Digital Nomads Family-Friendly Hostel Quiet Rest Solo Traveller

The Northshore Hostel Maui is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is The Northshore Hostel Maui rated on booking websites?

Overall
Cleanliness
Staff
Atmosphere
Security

The Northshore Hostel Maui Reviews

Great place with a great vibe

Lots of fun people were staying here making it really easy to meet some travel buddies. Clean, organized, fair house rules that were enforced (quiet hours), affordable rental equipment for the beaches, easy parking, good price. Could use a few more bathrooms. Great experience!

Reesa
2015-01-24
Usa

If you´re a smoker ... stay away!

Positive -- the hostel is clean (although there was a cockroach in our room), shuttle from the airport (3x per day), free pancakes in the morning (which you have to make yourself). Negative -- communal area only inside (and pretty small); if you want to smoke, you have to leave the hostel, cross the street and smoke in a parking lot; I stayed in 2 beds and both were very uncomfortable.

Gabriele Pierskalla
2014-03-31
Age 33 | Germany

Friendly, clean place

friendly staff, clean place, good rates on an otherwise very expensive island. very safe!

Lorena
2012-11-21
Germany

First time in hostel

I've been to Maui eight times. I've stayed in hotels, condos, timeshares, resorts, and motels. This time I wanted the adventure of staying in a hostel. I've heard nightmare stories of hostels and spent quite sometime reading reviews of all the hostels on Maui. I loved it here! I wish I could give 10 stars for cleanliness. Thank you to Garrett, Scott, Chris, and Kevin! Your warmth, kindness, and hospitality is exactly what Maui is about! This place gives you a excellent home base to explore the island. It has a wonderful social aspect, but has enough room if you prefer your privacy. Although there is a social aspect to this place it is not a party hostel. They are strict about their quiet hours. Which I loved! Easy access to the Maui bus. Airport pick up. They have several room options, 8 bed and 4 bed dorms and private rooms. They also have a shuttle to the beach and offer scooter rentals at a reasonable price. I know when I go back solo again I will definitely stay here again. BTW did I say how clean the bathrooms are.

Ana
2012-08-03

Very cozy!

I really enjoyed my stay here. I was glad to see that there wasn't a lot of partying going on. Very friendly and helpful staff. I was surprised how clean everything was kept -- especially with how many people were staying there during my stay. Had a great time in Maui! Hopefully I'll get the chance to go back soon.

Matt Herpin
2009-03-19
United States

Got what I needed out of it

I arrived in Maui without a reservation and was able to book for three nights in a dorm at the end of January. My room was an interior room (away from the balcony), so it was quieter than a room closer to the main road. I wear earplugs so noise was not an issue for me once I went to sleep. Overall it was not a loud, party place during my stay, which was good. Kitchen appeared ok although I did not buy any food on my trip. The place has four bathrooms, two of which I was in. Both were clean from my point of view. I showered in one bathroom exclusively and there was hot water for my morning shower (around 8 a.m.). The only complaint I had was when the calendar switched from Jan to Feb. I left early in the morning Feb. 1 (before 8:30 a.m.) and the code to get in to the place was changed without my knowledge. When I came back that night and punched in the old code, I realized it had been switched. I pressed the button to inform the attendant that somebody was outside waiting but he had gone to the airport to pick up a guest. I proceeded to press the alarm button about fifty times with no response. I eventually was able to get in. Make sure to get the new code at the beginning of each month. Otherwise I would recommend for a traveler who is looking for a place to sleep at night at a very cheap rate.

Dan
2008-02-04
US

Pretty Good

Stayed a few days in this hostel in a private room. The room was pretty small and basic but reasonable. There are quite a few bathrooms so waiting for that is not much of an issue. It is also pretty clean. One issue was the noise though. There is a bar very close and on the weekends the party spills onto the street and goes very late, and there is also considerable traffic noise, so if you get a room try to stay away from the street side if you want a good night's sleep. There is not much going on in town but you can party at the nearby Banana Bungalow, and there's a coffee place/restaurant down on Market that has kick-ass food and libations. My reaction to the staff was mixed -- one dude seemed pretty cool but another guy seemed a bit on the angry side, but then he seemed ok on another day. All in all it has been pretty good.

Geo
2008-01-03
US

Fair

this hostel is in a very quiet area of maui. you really do need a car. we arrived at 3 p.m. and everything (not that there's much) in the town was closed. the hostel from the outside looks pretty grotty but it is more pleasant inside. the rooms were clean and tidy and the place was more like a guest house than a hostel. everyone seemed to be in by 6 p.m. (even those with a car because there's nothing much else to do). the kitchen is very clean and modern. as you arrive, the staff have you read and sign a "list of rules" you must abide by. However every night at 9:30 or 10 p.m. the smell of weed came through my window from the path downstairs and the whole place smelt of it and if the staff weren't involved they certainly were aware (it was hard not to notice). i think the rules only apply to the guests! its ok here but everything is twenty to thirty minutes by car.

ellie

Outdoor Seating

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 6

Min. Age with Parent (private room): 6

Note: Must show foreign passport or off-island plane ticket upon arrival.

Maximum Stay: 1 month

Reception Hours: 08:00-14:00 & 17:00-23:00

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate The Northshore Hostel Maui