Notice/Job Board
Laundry Room
Private Twin Room
Bathroom
Our Wall of Fame

Gecko's Rest Budget Accommodation & Backpackers, Mackay (edit listing)

Gecko's Rest Budget Accommodation & Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Address: 34 Sydney Street, Mackay, Queensland, Australia

Key issues

A random guy had a key to our room still and we were not told. The random guy walked in on us while we were in the room and asked if his bags were still there. We said no. I would have appreciated knowing a person I don't know had a key to our room still as I would have left my bags in the boot of my car and chosen not to have sex in the middle of the day when we could have been walked in on at any given moment. Not happy.

Kim

Age 30, Australia
2014-07-11

Enjoyed my time.

I enjoyed my stay in Gecko's rest. Room was nice and all facilities worked fine. The ladies on reception were really nice and helpful. I would recommend this hostel for anyone staying in Mackay.

Jeff

Age 30, Australian
2014-04-26

Rundown and needs work done

When we arrived and opened our room, an overwhelming smell of urine hit us. We had room 7, a 4 bedroom female dorm room. Tried to open the window but had no luck. Turned on the air conditioner hoping that it would help with the smell. Went out and when we returned about two hours later the smell was still the same. Tried to switch rooms but was told there was no empty beds. We were offered a refund but it was already 9pm and pouring rain and we had no idea where we could go. The lady at the front desk went up and sprayed the room with air freshener and left the can. The fridge in the room did not stay shut all the way and did not notice until morning so our food was not very cold. Stayed the night and left very first thing in the am. The roof leaked onto one of the beds and they put a bucket under the drip with at least some cloths in it to absorb the noise. The whole place needs some TLC. The other guests were very friendly and one also commented that her room smelt like ours when she first arrived. I would recommend finding a different hostel or maybe even a motel for the night. I would not stay there again. Didn't even use the kitchen.

Marci

Age 49, Canada
2014-03-12

Just ten minutes from the Premier and Greyhound Bus Terminal, Gecko's Rest is within easy reach on foot.

The hostel is located on the Main Street, but as it is down a long corridor, it is relatively quiet at night. It is central and so everything is within walking distance, be it the ten-thousand-step trail through Sandfly Creek, the Lagoon, Artspace Gallery or Botanical Gardens. There are plenty of shops restaurants, bars, and cafs surrounding the hostel.

This hostel has no bunk beds! Instead there are single beds in the rooms, which is great -- it's more like a sleepover than a dorm. Despite the owner saying the place "needed an update," Gecko's Rest is brilliantly decorated, with no wall left blank, which gives off a very homey and welcoming feel. The beds are comfy, and upon arrival you get your own towel for your stay. The rooms are very spacious and have wardrobe for your things, and a fridge too. The bathrooms are clean and the showers are lovely -- there are a couple of locks missing on toilet doors (like in most hostels), but overall it's very clean, good value for money, and comfortable. You could easily stay here for longer if it wasn't for the town (there is not much in Mackay).

The kitchen is moderately sized, and equipment is provided for you upon your arrival if you need it. It seems clean and is never too busy! The lounge area is homey, with big sofas but no TV, which makes it a more sociable place to hang out. There is a night entrance with your key, so security is good. The hostel seems to attract a very wide variety of people, young and old. There is an internet and computer room which accessible all day, which you pay for at reception. There is no book exchange, which is a shame as it is a quiet hostel and it probably would be used by the guests.

Summary

The hostel owners are very sweet, doing everything they can to make your stay as comfortable as possible, recommending activities for your stay -- they are generally very friendly. The reception closes at 9 p.m., which is great if you're on the Premier bus, which arrives at 8 p.m., and allows for a few wrong turns if you're not so good at directions! They offer free and safe luggage storage for those leaving late/arriving early.

Graceland

2014-02-25

Good rate for a good accommodation

Well situated, clean, A/C and fridge in the room, big kitchen, quiet. Everything you need and a very good rate with a good welcome. Really good deal!

Ed

(French)
2013-02-02

Just ok

Not the best backpacker in Australia. Thin walls made normal everyday noises keep me awake. Bathrooms were not cleaned in my 2 day stay. Although the rates reflect the Mackay area, they are a bit expensive for this level of backpacker. Most other hostels along the Queensland coast have cleaner facilities and better rooms.

J.C.

(Australia)
2012-07-30

Class

One of the nicest places I have stayed. Huge kitchen, nice common area, clean rooms. Right in the centre of the town too.

Mick

(Irish)
2009-01-27

Nice place but very quiet

Gecko's Rest is a lovely place -- the owners are very friendly and helpful and have a friendly little dog, and the whole place has a fantastic paint job -- it's all painted up like a rainforest! We were well impressed with our surroundings -- didnt use the kitchen but it was huge and clean and very well equipped. There are tons of common areas as well as a great rooftop deck. Such a pity it was so quiet -- we met hardly anyone staying there and there was no one around in the daytime (or evening for that matter). Unfortunately, I had my first ever experience of bedbugs there -- I wouldnt hold this against the place as I know they can happen anywhere and are really tough to control and aren't always the hostel's fault, but they still are disgusting and unfortunately put a downer on my overall impression of it. Still, it can happen anywhere and there's nothing to say it'd happen there again so I'd still stay there again. Nice enough place overall.

Aileen

(Ireland)
2008-02-19

How is Gecko's Rest Budget Accommodation & Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Cleanliness

Atmosphere

Overall

Hostelworld (104 Reviews)

Overall

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 18

Min. Age with Parent (private room): 18

Reception Hours: 8am till 9pm Everyday

#

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)