The Cambie Hostel Gastown, Vancouver

Gastown
7.1

The Cambie Hostel Gastown is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is The Cambie Hostel Gastown rated on booking websites?

The Cambie Hostel Gastown Reviews

Cockroaches and Bad Management

I have stayed here in the past and its a dive place and I knew what to expect to some degree. I didn't expect cockroaches and rude management. Cambie Hostel & Bar Used to be half decent and bearable and pretty cheap. This time it was dirty and a weird oder was in the air and in my clothes from staying there like a damp musty smell. My real issue came from when I was down stairs at the bar with some friends, there were six of us and we were having a good time getting caught up -- Sitting at the Bar our bar tender wasn't very friendly and my girlfriend was just attempting to ask advice on places to see and he flat out dropped our beers with a splash and responded with his hand out for payment -- no small talk here. We ordered food and when it came we were shocked to see a small cockroach scurry across the table. When we said we didn't want to eat the meal or pay for it he was super rude and told us to leave because we were making a scene. Granted people became aware that there was a cock roach on the bar but it wasn't our fault, it only became a scene when he stared yelling at us to pay or leave. I explained we were staying in the Hostel and then he backed down a little but was still extremely rude a younger male bartender came over and started apologizing for the other rude guy, when we asked to talk to the Manager it turned out rude guy "David" was the manager. We were shocked WTF? Really? Apparently he isn't liked by much of the other staff we were told and when he noticed the nice bartender trying to smooth things over with us he sent him off and away telling hime to mind his own business. The Manager then cleared our empty glasses and wouldn't serve us anymore. Unbelievable. We are mature adults and have enjoyed the Cambie Hostel and Bar in the past but who ever put that Manager David in charge must be clueless to how he's ruining the reputation and business for people like us who are respectful and normal people who just want a fun place to call home a few times a year. Not going back, cock roaches are one thing total jerk management is another. Very disappointing its kinda ended our long tradition of meeting there, my friends and I some of whom met at the Cambie back as far as 2009. There are way better places to stay in Vancouver and better places to spend my hard earned money.

Alex C
2014-06-23
Age 27 | Canada / USA

First experience in a Hostel and wouldn't change it for the world

Awesome place to stay! The fact that its right above a pub was so cool to us! Travelers are age from all around the world were everywhere. I recommend staying in a mixed dorm you meet lots more people from all over and create friendships. It was safe clean and friendly and the bakery next door was perfect! AND it's in the heart of gas town so you can walk everywhere and parking was reasonable.

Hannah
2013-06-29
Age 20 | USA California

Great Place, Great People

Everyone here was super helpful and the place was awesome. Great location and always something to do. Seriously had a great time and would go to the Cambie again. Only complaint is that the rooms were pretty noisy since the bar is right downstairs. If you are one that doesn't like the noise, bring some earplugs and/or request a room that is away from the bar.

David
2012-08-01

Cambie Hostel, located in the Gastown district of downtown Vancouver, is a great social hub and loads of fun!

The hostel is close to grocery stores, restaurants, shopping, and all amenities that you may require while staying in Vancouver. The rooms in the hostel are located on the first and second floor above a pub, which gives the hostel an extremely social environment. If you are looking for a great party hostel, this is the place for you. If you are looking for somewhere that is relatively quiet where your sleep won't be disturbed, it is probably best for you to not stay here. Another perk of the Cambie Hostel is that they are located next door to their bakery and every morning you get a free tea or coffee and a muffin for breakfast.

The rooms are very spacious and the beds are fabulous. Each dorm room has a double bed with mattresses of high quality for each individual. For a backpacker, this is quite a luxury after spending lots of time in single beds. The bathrooms on each floor have two toilets and two showers in each gender's bathroom on each floor. They are in a very clean condition and are tended to daily.

There are not a great deal of large common spaces in this hostel. There is the small kitchen and common room, which has cooking utensils, a microwave and a stove, a television, and two computers for connecting to the internet. Wi-Fi is free all over the hostel if you have your own device to access the internet, you just need to get the password from the front desk. The largest space common to the hostel but also accessible to regular members of the public is the bar downstairs -- this is always a great place to meet people and to socialize.

Summary

The staff who work on the front desk are super helpful with any questions or requests that you may have. Security for the hostel and the rooms is great. To get into the hostel at night, you need a key to the front door, a key card to access each floor and a different key again to access your room. The rooms also have lockers to put your stuff in for security purposes -- you just need to supply a lock. Overall, this a great hostel!

Globetrotter
2012-03-10
Australia

Certainly a memorable stay.

found the cambie to be far more charming then i expected given some of the negative statements. Be warned that the bathrooms arent the cleanest, but the rooms were clean and the everyone was helpful. i was worried that the neighborhood was going to be rough, but it ended up being awesome. very colorful indeed. i would recommend it to anyone who wants to come home with some stories, and a little adventure.

nick
2008-09-01
us

Hmmm

this place has always been good to me when traveling to whistler to visit friends or hitchhiking on the island. I believe that timing is everything with life and that is how you should take this place.

Ian
2007-10-05
Canada

Never Stay Here

I took the train up from Seattle to see Vancouver for the first time and literally stayed only one day thanks, in part, to this scary, nasty hostel. First off, it is in Gastown off Hastings, which means it's on the edge of Vancouver's skid row. There was garbage literally waste high in the alley next to it -- and rats. When I checked in at the front counter they told me they did have lockers for bags but I'd have to buy a lock. 5 bucks for this useless combo lock that you could break just by staring at it hard. The lockers in my room were ancient high school lockers that were just propped against one wall. Only one of the three lockers actually had a functioning handle on it and so I had to cram my backpack in that. The door to the room I was in looked like it had been popped so many times, it barely worked. The women's bathroom had two showers, absolutely no hooks or shelves to put your clothes any where while you showered and two toilets -- one of which was leaking and there was a nice puddle of water on the floor the whole night. I was "lucky" because I booked on a Tuesday night and got a four bunk bed room all to myself. There was no fan in the room and nothing but the nasty air from the open window which overlooked the giant pile of garbage in the alley. Every single time someone opened or closed a door on my floor or walked down the hallway, you heard it. There was no insulation on any of the doors and so I got to listen to doors slam open and shut all night. The Cambie's bar is touted as having "cheap drinks" on their website. What a joke! I had one draft beer and it was $4.50. And the bartender was rude. And, I'd say 50% of the people sitting in the bar were there to sell drugs. Speaking of drugs, I didn't see or smell pot the whole time I was in Gastown but I got four offers to buy heroin while I was down there. The skeevy little dealers would come rolling down the street on bikes and ask you point-blank if you wanted to buy some heroin.

Mel
2007-09-07

This is, by far, the worst hostel either of us have stayed in, and having clocked up over thirty different hostels between us, thats saying something! Although the price is reasonable, the hostel really isnt worth it -- after one night we're having to look for somewhere else, even if it means paying more! The rooms are badly in need of a facelift, with lockers that dont lock and doors that you have to kick open -- they frequently stick. The calibre of the guests here is not high, making us feel very uncomfortable about even walking around the hostel. The corridors look like they came straight out of The Omen, and the bathrooms were ages away, with only one bathroom per floor. And dont even get us started on the kitchen -- grossly under stocked, with no basic necessities such as washing up sponge or tea towel. And with a grand total of two plastic bowls for crockery. This would be fine if you were planning on eating out or eating microwave meals the whole time, but as we were planning on cooking every night, there is no way we could have put up with this.

Becky and Lynsey
2007-05-09
UK

Home to one of Vancouver's busiest and most diverse bars, 'The Cambie has become a Vancouver institution. Rock and Roll, Hip Hop, Classics, Big-Hair Metal, and pretty much everything else resounds off the jukebox nightly. If you fit into a scene or live outside the mainstream you belong in our bar. Students, artists, scenesters, hipsters and professionals (basically everyone) pack the bar everynight so it is never the same.

Save $5 per night with the purchase of our membership card available at reception. The $14 membership card is valid in both Vancouver hostels and our Hostel in Nanaimo. Membership also gives you 10% off food and Cambie merchandise. Purchase of the card also entitles you to discounts on whitewater rafting, travel, skydiving, bungee jumping, kayaking, scuba diving, Vancouver Whitecaps games and more!!

Please Note: Cambie Member Card holder's receive the discount off the original bed rate only excluding the 10% booking deposit.

Save BIG money on weekly rates available for dorms, doubles and privates from October 2nd to May 31st!

Bakery and Cafe on-site.
Breakfast included in the daily rate.
All linens and blankets supplied.

Please note: check in is after 12:00pm (12:00).

Let us send you on a tour of the Granville Island Brewery, Canada's first microbrewery.

ATTENTION: There is a minimum charge of 2 night's stay arriving on the 30th or 31st of December.

NOTE: The total of the first night's stay will be charged to the credit card of the guest that does not arrive on the reserved day of check-in.

Address: 300 Cambie Street, Gastown, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The Cambie Hostel Gastown is listed on the following booking sites:

Website The Cambie Hostel Gastown Vancouver (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +1 (604) 684-6466

Bike Rental

ATM

Evening Entertainment

Live Music/Performance

Nightclub

Walking Tours

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate The Cambie Hostel Gastown