HI-Calgary City Centre, Calgary

8.7

HI-Calgary City Centre is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is HI-Calgary City Centre rated on booking websites?

HI-Calgary City Centre Reviews

Very well run with all the amenities a traveler needs.

Stayed here for two weeks in 2008 whilst researching the job market for nursing. It was a pleasant experience made so by the staff, especially Jason, who managed to find a bed for me without any notice. The suburbs are worth visiting as downtown isn't great.

Joan Farnworth
2008-12-03
English

Dodgy, but genuinely average

I stayed here in Sept '07 for a few weeks while looking for an apartment. The area, it must be said, is decorated with homeless guys, but they rarely move above a reluctant shuffle and no visitors were particularly concerned. The staff were nice and helpful, and the building had three or four common areas and free, good Wi-Fi. It was generally quiet -- there's little chance of being kept awake by revelers. Downtown Calgary is depressing so if you come here, take the LRT train (two-minute walk) to other parts of the city, like Kensington to the N.W.

LL
2008-03-13
NZ

Won't get any better in calgary

good kitchen, cool staff, only four people in a room with big free lockers. it has two very comfortable lounges up and downstairs where you can hang out and relax. yes, there are a lot of bums around the hostel but they are all around calgary! and they're just sitting around smoking (crack) but really don't bother anyone. i met some cool people there and had a good time!

Timon (21, Switzerland)
2007-12-17
Switzerland

Misunderstood and Underrated

I loved this hostel! As a fifty-year-old, single female traveler, it is important that I feel safe and I did here. Of course I came from an even larger city so other reviewers' comments kept me aware and on my toes. But I never had a problem and walked everywhere! I even took the hike through the park and along the bow river on one of the rainiest days in Calgary's history, so I could visit the zoo. No one bothered me! I met a great group of young people at the hostel and in fact made sure to share snacks (and even my phone card) before I left. The staff was extremely helpful and funny. And though the grocery store sounds like it is far away, it is well worth the train/walk (even in the rain). Thank you for four great nights.

KarenP
2007-07-18

The HI - Calgary City Center is packed full of amenities and isn't a hostel where you'll be crammed into a room watching TV with every other guest. On the second floor there is a quiet room for reading and browsing the internet (which is free if you have wireless, and moderately priced if you don't). The first floor has a lounge/TV area along with a retro Pac-Man arcade game, there is also a reception area with lounges and various local brochures. In the basement you'll find a massive big screen TV with comfy lounges, a pool table, dart board, and a few arcade games.

HI Calgary has everything you'd except from a large metropolitan hostel and it's a refreshing change to not have to pay a deposit for every item you pick up (towel, keys). The kitchen is massive with industrial-sized appliances and there is ample room to prepare food. Bathrooms consist of individual combined change rooms/shower cubicles and are generally clean.

Rooms are sufficient with six comfortable beds in every dorm. The storage areas seem a little impractical -- there are large trunks to store backpacks and not enough to accommodate everyone. This leads you to stack your belongs on top of a trunk and possibly have someone remove your gear while they are trying to unlock theirs. It's not a big issue, but it can get a little annoying if you have a large amount of gear that doesn't fit under the bed.

The big possible downside with the hostel is the location. Opposite the hostel is a park frequented by homeless people and you'll see needle bins on several street posts. It's not a dangerous area but you could get hassled by vagrants if you're walking downtown. Don't let this deter you from staying at the hostel, but be aware that these problems exist. Also a hassle is the two-hour parking limit during business hours outside the hostel (there is no private parking area). You can park for free from 6 p.m. until 7 a.m. but otherwise expect to pay a deposit/fee for a permit from the hostel.

Don't let the negatives put you off from staying at the HI Calgary. The amenities are first class and it's obvious the management know how to run a HI hostel. All the staff are exceedingly friendly and eager to share their knowledge of Calgary.

Matt Sutton
2007-01-10
Australia

We were here for the stampede and we could not get out quick enough. The hostel is good in itself but as that one says..there is a needle bin on the nearest lamp-post and all around it are homeless ppl and druggies! It is close to town but its not worth it. the place is easy to get around!!

Mick
2005-12-04

This hostel is located within walking distance of Calgary downtown. One can stay here and make day trips to Banff National Park if they so desired. The set-up is pretty modern because I ended up using keycards to access all parts of the facility. My only issue is that it's right next to a park where quite a few homeless and drug addicts hung out and I was worried about my car being burglarized, but I had no problems.

hoben02
2005-09-30

Before you book this hostel you need to know that it is in a really, really dodgy area of town. There was a needle disposal bin outside our front door and druggies hanging around just outside our window! However the hostel is clean and pretty nice, but it's pricey considering the area. We (2 girls) didn't have any problems but we wouldn't want to go there again. Just bear it in mind!

Sally
2005-08-30

HI-Calgary City Centre Reviews from the Web

Great location, good facilities. The room was spacious and clean. I really liked the library room upstairs. Only downside was the WiFi was very poor in the building

caoimhe94hogan8486
2022-07-30

Overall a great location and the beds are comfortable. The wifi is really weak in dorm beds though. Thats the only downside other than that would definitely recommend.

hitesh028
2022-07-25

Nice, New hostel. Lots of kitchen space. Decent location downtown. Loads of parking, I could see my car from the garden. Pretty quiet, not a party hostel.

paul_mcalary24
2022-07-21

Overall a very hood hostel, as you can always expect staying with HI. Locations great, staff was courteous, the building itself is new and well maintained. My only gripe was that bathroom cleanliness could use a bit more attention, and there seemed to always be TP and paper towels missing. Overall, great stay!

kdolph
2022-07-21

I was in Calgary for the Stampede and the Hostel had the perfect location for it!

I just wished that there were activities that the hostel would offer like going to stampede together.

But I loved my time there!

Alina2408
2022-07-07

20 min away from YYC airport, my flight got delayed and I arrived at the hostel at 1:30 a.m to check in. Staff if super friendly.

deschenesgui3674
2022-07-06

Great stay at the hostel, located just off of downtown. One of the best I've ever stayed in. Clean, spacious showers, great staff, great security, substantial breakfast. Only drawback is the atmosphere - Would have liked organized events to meet others easier. It's a nice and quiet hostel though, which was good for me.

ykim3142475
2022-07-06

We stayed here for one night after arriving in late to the airport. We were glad that our room was quiet and the showering facilities were really clean. Definitely would stay again!

elainecarey2274
2022-06-22

It was okay. There wasnt an outlet anywhere near my bed so I had to plug my phone in across the room. I was nervous Id miss my alarm in the am. The bathrooms were okay. The bed was comfy but very squeaky. The door was super loud too. It was fine for a night but I wouldnt like it long term.

perfectfirefly945852
2022-06-18

Loved my stay at Hi Calgary! Very friendly staff, great location, very clean, and they have a kitchen and a reading room. Would definitely recommend!!

judenachabe8017
2022-06-17

Amazing experience, friendly staff, nice facility. Clean everything!

Only downside is not enough outlets in the dorms.

dannyapacik778
2022-06-06

Quick check in /check out. Early breakfast on request. Kitchen and cutlery available. Superstore near by . Transportation facilities available near by.

aQizorSDwTmfuvLD
2022-06-05

One night stay with evening arrival, so can't comment too much on the social aspects. Seems like a good spot for a hostel. A bit exposed to noises of light rail cars rounding a bend on the adjacent street.

The 4 bed dorm had a few nice touches. e.g. an air conditioner, along with large wooden storage lockers. Bunks invariably make a few noises in the night but these being of solid wooden make actually weren't too loud when people were just shifting a little.

Breakfast was a nice touch.

johnlmacris5639
2022-06-03

Great stay close to the center of town. Was very happy with the stay here. The staff and the others in my room were friendly and I appreciate the staff being able to lock up my belongings during the day while I went out exploring.

dishball225
2022-05-28

Absolutely loved it, will 100% come again

ScarletRosii
2022-05-22

The best hostel I have ever stayed at.

graceebell935326
2022-05-20

Excellent service, clean facilities and super friendly atmosphere!

chateauhilda6673
2022-05-18

A great place to stay. There's not much atmosphere as no bar and most people are only staying for a night or 2. Not the hostels fault.

Great location. Lovely kitchen/dining area.

Beds are very comfortable but missing privacy curtains as offered by most other hostels.

Locker space is a good size and lots of security in the building.

smontg5272
2022-05-12

I highly recommend the hostel! the location is perfect for all the areas we wished to visit in the downtown, a few steps to the city hall C-Train.

The entire place and common areas such as kitchen, bathrooms, laundry, TV and reading rooms, were always clean and well maintained as well. Our second private room was nice and comfortable with private bathroom and TV. The atmosphere was nice and relaxing, amazing staff (Big thank you to Natalie, Linda, maintenance)

My mom and I were very happy!

isabelsandra876393
2022-04-21

Amazing place, lovely people and facilities. Love the staff and people Im staying with.

Oscaremmott6416
2022-04-20

The New Hostel Smell.
The newly renovated and restored, HI-Calgary City Centre, is a Top Rated hostel in Calgary. Travellers and Backpackers from around the globe will continue to enjoy our affordable, safe, clean and secure hostel accommodation.

Breakfast on us!
FREE all-you-can-eat breakfast is served daily from 7:30am - 9:30am in our brand new renovated kitchen.

Free Wifi.
FREE newly upgraded high speed Wifi available in all guest rooms and common areas.

Great facilities.
HI-Calgary City Centre offers both shared dorms, private and family rooms. Our shared rooms have a maximum of 6 beds and feature individual storage lockers. Recent upgrades to all guest washrooms, guest laundry and patio help us offer you everything you need for a comfortable stay in Calgary!

Security.
Upgraded and Updated! We've installed a new security system, purchased new doors and state of the art locks as we continue to ensure the safety of all our staff and backpackers travelling to Calgary.

Excellent Customer Service.
24 hours a day our friendly and experienced front desk staff are available to answer your travel questions and concerns. We are experts when it comes to getting you around the area, our staff is always happy to recommend cool places for you to see, so don't hesitate to ask to come by the desk and ask. Check out the informative activity boards filled with daily listings of different events and specials.

We are committed to assisting you with your trip, happy to help you book your next HI hostel. We've got an excellent network of affordable HI hostels throughout Alberta and British Columbia in pristine locations!

Secure Central Location.
Exploring Calgary is easy from our central location - a quick walk takes you to the city centre where you can find dining, shopping, entertainment and cultural districts for every taste and budget. Other attractions are easy to get to with the help of the nearby Calgary Transit C-train (FREE within the city centre).

• ADDRESS
• 4. Turn left at 4th Street NE
• 5. Turn left at 4th Avenue SE
• 6. Continue straight onto 5th Street SE
• 7. Turn right at 7th Avenue SE
• 8. The hostel (green building) will be next to the park on the corner.
• From Airport by Calgary Transit (45 minutes):
• 1. Take bus #300 from the airport ($8.00)
• 2. Get off at City Hall stop
• 3. Walk across the street to the library.
• 4. Turn right and walk along 7th Avenue (over the C-Train platform) until you reach 4th Street SE (2 blocks)
• 5. The hostel (green building) will be next to the park on the corner.
• From Airport (30 minutes):
• A taxi from the Airport to the hostel will cost approximately $35.00.
• From Greyhound/Bus Depot Station by Calgary Transit (30 minutes):
• 1. From the Greyhound station, walk 6 blocks East along 9th Avenue towards Downtown (you'll see the city skyline in the distance)
• 2. Turn left on 10th Street and walk 2 blocks North to the C-Train station on 7th Avenue SW
• 3. Take the train to City Hall station (5 stops). The C-Train is free within 7th Ave (city centre)
• 4. Walk 1 block in the same direction as the train was traveling
• 5. The hostel (green building) will be next to the park on the corner
• From Greyhound/Bus Depot (10 minutes):
• A taxi from the Greyhound station to the hostel will cost approximately $12.00 Cdn.
• From Edmonton (3 hours):
• 1. Take Highway #2 South
• 2. Turn right/exit onto 16th Avenue (Trans Canada Highway #1 West)
• 3. Turn left onto Centre Street
• 4. Turn left onto 9th Avenue (base of the Calgary Tower)
• 5. Turn left onto 4th Street SE
• 6. Turn right onto 7th Avenue SE
• 7. The hostel (green building) will be next to the park on the corner
• From Banff (1.5 hours):
• 1. Take Trans Canada Highway #1 East (this will become 16th Avenue)
• 2. Turn right onto Centre Street
• 3. Turn left onto 9th Avenue (base of the Calgary Tower)
• 5. Turn right onto 7th Ave SE
• From Winnipeg (15 hours):
• 1. Drive along Highway #1 West (this will become 16th Avenue)
• 2. Turn left onto Centre Street
• 3. Turn left onto 9th Avenue (base of the Calgary Tower)
• 5. Turn right onto 7th Avenue SE

Meeting/Banquet facilities

Outdoor Seating

Swimming Pool

Maximum Stay: 14 nights

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate HI-Calgary City Centre