Ocean Island Inn Backpackers Suites, Victoria

7.9

Ocean Island Inn Backpackers Suites is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com HostelsClub

How is Ocean Island Inn Backpackers Suites rated on booking websites?

Ocean Island Inn Backpackers Suites Reviews

Nice place

Well run operation. Lively and clean and good location.

Stephen
2019-10-05
Age 57 | USA

Ocean Island Backpackers Inn is an amazingly social and upbeat hostel.

Located up on Pandora, this hostel is a ten- to fifteen-minute walk to the downtown center where you will find the Legislative Building, the Museum, and the wharf. You will find a supermarket a five-minute walk from the hostel and an abundance of restaurants and other amenities close by. It is a great place from which to base your exploration of Victoria, and is not far from anything you will need during your stay here, including the bus stop.

There are rooms on multiple floors of this hostel. The dorm room is quite compact, but there is enough space for people to be comfortable here. The beds are good quality and will provide a good nights rest. You will also find in the room a kitchenette with a refrigerator where you can store your food safely.

For every two dorm rooms you will find a shared bathroom that has a toilet and a shower over bath. The bathrooms are clean and tidy and are nice to use. You will find, however, at particular times of the day, all of the bathrooms will be full up with people and you might have to wait based on the sheer volume of people that stay here during the summer months in Victoria.

There is a large kitchen in the downstairs area with multiple cookers and plenty of utensils to use. It is are really nice kitchen for cooking and is certainly a more affordable option than eating out in Victoria. Next to the kitchen they have a large dining area with chairs and tables where people can sit and hang about and relax, play some cards, or socialize. Next to this dining area is the bar, where hostel guests can purchase and drink alcohol during their stay (no alcohol from outside may be brought onto the property).

In the foyer, you will find places to hang about, use computers, or relax on couches; there is also information about things to do in the area. You can buy some muffins and other snacks at the front desk and there is also a menu of food that they sell here at the hostel. The hostel staff are friendly and helpful with anything that you may need.

Summary

You will really enjoy your stay here and find plenty to do in and around the Victoria area and plenty of people to go and do things with. This hostel is a must stay!

Globetrotter
2013-08-10
Australia

All around good

Decent location, good staff, clean.

Jim
2012-06-29

Great entertainment, staff, and guests

I've been here for a while now and love it! Best place I've been to so far. I've become great friends with many of the guests and staff here but sad to say I'm leaving soon. I'll miss so many people already here, not to mention those I miss already that have left before me. The owners are wonderful and really keep this place cool, laid back, and inviting. The front desk staff are wonderful and from all over the world so it helps you feel comfortable here like a friend came with you on your trip (Sara, Tyler, Kat, Becca, Stephan, Sim, and Lisa -- Thank you!). You can save money by working for your room and food by either doing the Work for Stay or Woofing programs. And, the kitchen staff make the most wonderful food, it's great not having to run around town when you're so hungry (5pm - 12am). My hat off to Mouse, Neil, Tyler, and Colin for keeping me from starving!

Mishelle
2011-03-25
Canada

Good, affordable place to stay

Just came back from there and have to say I did not regret. The place was clean, got fresh, clean sheets, no dust under the bed, the staff was always there to help. Heard somebody complaining about hair in the shower at 7am but nobody should expect the staff to inspect the cleanliness at 6am if some early birds don't respect some clear posted hostel guide lines. The beds were awfully squeaky which cost me some sleep. It is not supposed to be a 5star hotel. It is decent place for the backpacker without much money. I will recommend it!

Christian
2010-09-05
Germany

Cool, positive, attractive, progressive, well run establishment

cool, positive, attractive, progressive, well run establishment.

Daniel Szeflinski II
2009-12-01

Clean, fun, and well priced

I have stayed here a few times and it has always been awesome! The staff are really nice and go out of their way to help you. There rooms come in all shapes and sizes -- their mini rooms really are mini but at $32 a night for one person in downtown Victoria you are getting amazing value for money! Since my last visit, they have painted the building and start renovating their bathrooms. They also have a licensed cafe on site and the food is actually really good! Try the chickpea and lentil curry. Ocean Island is by far the best budget accommodation in Victoria.

Kelly
2009-11-30
United Kingdom

Seedy location

I stayed at this hostel a few years ago. It's near downtown Victoria, but in a seedy and unsafe part of town. Lots of homeless and drug addicts around the area of the hostel. When I was there, there were too many long term residents there, who were not friendly. There was a lot of bathrooms, but the water in mine was either scalding hot or ice cold. The people in my coed dorm room were friendly, but clothing seemed to be optional day or night as the room was so hot and the windows barely opened. Some girls also were not aware they were in a coed room until they arrived. Not a big deal for them, but be sure to confirm what you want when you book.

Don
2009-08-15
Canada

Ocean Island Inn Backpackers Suites Reviews from the Web

This was an affordable stay in a great part of town! It's really good walking distance to everything. They had breakfast and dinner included every day (which I didn't have but seemed like a great value). In room lockers and day lockers were both included and you could put down a deposit you got returned for a towel and lock (tho I had my own). It was definitely an older hostel and a little run down - so things were a little more worn than explicitly dirty. Staff was super nice!

wilsondm91783
2022-08-05

This is a good choice for an affordable stay in Victoria. It's fairly easy walking distance to the Inner Harbour and old town. It's an old building that has some character to it, but is still set quite nicely. There's a pub right in the building if you're looking for a quick meal. Staff are helpful there's a great supply of brochures to find stuff to do in the area.

Rendoucot7373
2022-08-01

You get what you pay for! Perfect for quick nights in Victoria. Fast wifi, complimentary breakfast and dinner, clean showers and toilet, clean rooms. Only gripe: in the summer the rooms can get toasty. I stayed within a solo room by myself and it was hot but manageable, but I can see rooms getting hotter if theres a couple or more people inside.

eivannisperos6764
2022-07-28

The room I was in absolutely stank. Overall didnt feel super comfortable as the only women in the entire dorm. The other five people were men. The vibe of the hotel felt super strange, definitely not a youth hostel.

cdmf212924
2022-07-26

This is the first north american hostel I've been to that has privacy curtains in the dorms. It's a neat older building (literally across from tacofino so I'm not sure how much better than gets) that was extremely clean, good security with extra lockers if you needed. Great location in the heart of Victoria, couldn't ask for anything better for the price I paid. Exactly what I needed, staff were great!

torieklassen3483
2022-07-24

It was terrible..... Unbelievable.. Stay away this hostel. Just put a few pockets and stay at another place. We had reservation for two people with my girlfriend but we had to stay different rooms because of the staff's mistake they didn't anything about this issue

furkanayan147925
2022-07-23

The rooms are very very small, so you have to go downstairs to the communal area to get some space. There is a shared kitchen and lounge for customers. We stayed for one night in a tiny room for around 90 dollars, not worth it. But at least their location in downtown is very convenient, and they serve free breakfast and dinner.

yanqian_yu9961
2022-07-18

The location of this hostel is prime. You wont get anything better at this price as downtown Victoria is expensive. Staff is nice and location is secure.

It is cheaper if you book directly through their website. Only complaint is the rooms are small, and there was a ton of hair on our bed on both separate nights we stayed there which is super gross.

bre1295
2022-07-17

Super cute hostel and great location! Close to downtown and everything in walking distance. It has free breakfast :) Bathrooms were individual/private and had very clean and nice showers. Lots of storage under the bed in our room and many lockers in the hall.

merelvissers19974500
2022-07-17

Good location, highly secure and a very vibrant dcor. Breakfast had good options. Some of the dorms are big and airy while others small and close. We were there for just a day so didn't mind. Few cons - The check-in process was painfully slow, taking us almost an hour. We wonder if that usually is the case with them or just one of those days. Also, several flight of stairs to get to the dorm can be a mammoth of a task after a long and tiring day.

Adita_gupta
2022-07-10

I think it's a very good hostel. Most of the staff are great. Great location and facilities!

When I checked out, I had to wait a very long time simply because one receptionist was taking a lot of time to fuss over a male guest. It went on and on . . . When I told her I had to hurry to catch a bus, she was quite dismissive. Perhaps staff could flirt and have lengthy conversations on their own time.

The rest of the staff members were great.

oflahertygeraldine534161
2022-07-08

Very cute hostel! Great experience. You get lots for your money free breakfast etc and the location is very central. I loved all the open windows it gave it a very nice vibe.

aPJNIwiR7gxQtmYa
2022-07-02

The hostel is very bad, very dirty and smelly.

We got a double room which is the most expensive option and it was very tinny and very dirty. They did not even change the bed sheets from previous customer. We could see hair and dirt in the bed. It is very clear that they did not clean the room.

The shared bathrooms were also dirty. It was very bad smelling in the lobby, in the bar, in the kitchen and the smell gets to your room.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AT ALL.

imanebenkhelifa2592
2022-06-27

The room was tiny and there was nothing deluxe about it. I spend a lot of times in hostels and this was way too pricey for what was delivered. The rooms were also unbearably hot and the mini fan they provided really didnt do much good because we had to share it and the beds being 4/5 enclosed by wood made it impossible for any of us to get some air.

Lovethesmellofbooks
2022-06-26

I stayed in a single private room. Oh boy it was painfully hot and stuffy. Upon entering, I thought the heater was on on a hot summer day. Although there is a little electric fan in the room, window cannot be opened. I hope the hostel will do something to the window and make it possible to open it at least little bit. It was excruciating.

Other than that, facility is an average friendly hostel. I was happy except for the room.

yuyapecotakeda9698
2022-06-25

I stayed here only for 1 night. The room was advertised as a 2 person bedroom but it was incredibly small. One of us had t leave the room if the other one wanted to change because it was that small... . I found that the showers and bathrooms weren't very clean. It was very warm and loud. But the staff was friendly.

chloehebert125493
2022-06-21

Good value still , exceptional staff who is willing to help with backpacker concerns ,a truely a happy and social atmosphere for the majority of the guests who are there

2022-06-19

Great hostel to stay in! You get everything you need: several clean bathrooms, sockets/shelves/individual lights per each bed, lockers, a big kitchen, breakfast and a small supper for free. Fantastic, thank you!

annavejjo3353
2022-06-15

Convenient location. Facilities are good, especially fridges in all rooms, inc dorms. Having free cooked evening meal us a definite bonus.

helensan267517
2022-06-12

The best hostel Ive stayed at in Canada. Really good atmosphere, lots of backpackers. Free breakfast and free dinner every night (vegan too) which was such a nice bonus. Very central walkable location. Cant beat it

loisandrews149591
2022-06-11

Centrally located in downtown Victoria, Ocean Island has a wide array of rooms to suit your budget and lifestyle. You can choose from comfortable 4 or 6 bed dorms to private rooms in all shapes and sizes. With easy access to public transit, ferries, and the airport, we're a great home base for exploring Victoria and the rest of Vancouver Island.

Looking for privacy? Our mini room option offers the budget conscious traveller a unique solution to Victoria's pricey hotel room market. In a very compact space we offer all the benefits of a private room- privacy, a comfortable bed, your own mini fridge- at a fraction of the cost of a regular hotel room. Not your style? Unwind in one of our spacious, peaceful private rooms with ensuite bathrooms instead.

Our fully renovated 1891 heritage building is full of art and life and colour! We have a large, vibrant communal dining area and kitchen. But if you don't feel like cooking, our licensed Ocean Island Cafe Lounge is open daily, serving up healthy fusion-style food at ridiculously cheap prices. We also offer free wireless and free computer access, 24 hour staffing, parking and bike and bag storage. In short, everything you'll need to make the most of your trip to Victoria!

• Call us Toll-Free from anywhere in North America:
• 1-888-888-4180
• Our regular phone numbers:
• Outside of North America add Canada code (1)
• 250-385-1788 and 250-385-1789

Towels ($1)

ATM

Jobs/Work Available

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Ocean Island Inn Backpackers Suites