The Ashland Hostel, Ashland

9.4

The Ashland Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

It is the only way to book The Ashland Hostel

How is The Ashland Hostel rated on booking websites?

The Ashland Hostel Reviews

A nice home-like hostel close to downtown Ashland. It has two stories, boys on the first floor, and girls upstairs (no co-ed dorms available). The common areas are downstairs. There is a full kitchen, basic dining room, and a large living room area with couches for hanging out. It's all fairly nice a clean, and it has the feel of staying in a large house. The staff are generally friendly, and it can be a social place depending on the guests, but it's always fairly laid-back. Reservations are recommended during Shakespeare Festival season (February through October). Parking is very limited, and you may need to park in street parking a block or so away.
#
Hostelz

Second time a charm!

I attempted to stay here on a 2000 through hike of the PCT. A guy at the desk was unfriendly, fortunately I met a couple of locals at the food co-op while re-supplying who took upon learning I was a thru-hiker took me in. I had better luck last year & stayed here in 2011 while thru-hiking the PCT a second time. I am (or was) 46 at the time. The staff was friendly, the place was clean, and the overall experience was way cool. If you want a clean place to flop, shower, and full kitchen this is it. I wonder if the fact the hostel operation (and it seems the town) is run by women, who it seems possess the right vibe.

Rockfish PCT Thru-hiker
2012-03-16

Charming victorian in walking distance to everything

I have stayed at the Ashland hostel twice: in 2009 and 2012, a dorm room and private room, respectively. Our stay was fantastic both times. The location is amazing; closer to downtown, the Shakespeare Festival and Lithia Park than most of the pricey B and Bs. Bedrooms, common rooms, kitchen, and baths are clean and well kept. The gas fireplace in the living rm is warm and inviting in the winter. Walk to the nearby coop for your groceries or delicious hot or cold freshly prepared meals. Vintage shopping, locally roasted organic coffees and chocolate is a plus. Pkg is quite limited, but there is no need to drive once you arrive.

Cynthia
2012-02-29

The first thing to note about The Ashland Hostel is that check-in is at 5 pm -- the door is locked and there is no one at the desk until then, so you can expect to wait on the porch until the clerk shows up, as we did.

In terms of location, it truly is a short walk from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival theatres. If your sole purpose in Ashland is to enjoy live theatre, you only need to park your car once. You can walk it for the duration of your stay. There are three parking spaces in the back, and no street parking in front of the hostel. Main Street, where the hostel is located, is the main path through town (aka State Highway 99.) If you drive in, as we did, there is ample street parking in the neighborhoods, but you will have to walk about a block. There is a convenience store very nearby, one block to the north. You enter the hostel with a coded lock.

There are three floors and all are co-ed, though the rooms themselves are single sex. The rooms have bunk beds, and they are first come, first served. There are no lockers in the hostel. There is one bathroom/shower room in the basement, and one upstairs. If someone is showering, you cannot use the bathroom. There are two showers in this room, so if you are part of a group, two people can shower at once. There is a half-bath on the main floor. The shower has plenty of pressure and there is no issue with hot water. Towels and sheets are included with the bed.

There is a large common area on the main floor, and another in the basement. There is also an adequate kitchen. On the days that we were there, there was plenty of space in the cupboards and refrigerator, along with a marking system and a donation area for the leftover food. The hostel allows all ages, so there are children and seniors staying there, in addition to the normal collegiate crowd.

Summary

Ashland is a wonderful town, and this nice old building is a pleasant place to visit.

Ggreg Snyder
2011-09-01

Very friendly owners!

When I stayed here, I was one of a very few guests and the owners were incredibly friendly and treated me like family. The hostel is in a house and feels like a second home. Staff gave me maps to guide my hikes in nearby parks and tips about further travels. The one downside would be safety -- there were no lockers in the dorms so if I had had a roommate (which I was lucky enough not to have!) I may have resorted to carrying all my valuables with me on my trip. Otherwise, it's a great choice! Especially during the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (which is amazing!!).

captainwinter364
2010-05-26
Canada

Very earthy!

I stayed there this past weekend and thought the place was warm and inviting, And the front desk staff were very helpful! I will definitely stay again.

Anoymous
2009-05-29
US

Horrible! Stay Away!

I have spent time in hostels all across the globe, and this was the worst experience I have ever had! The staff were clearly coming down off something, and I wouldn't leave any children within a certain proximity of the male staff members. I am not trying to be facetious with the last comment, but there honestly was an incident that occurred involving a hug that was questionable at best. What was even more amusing than anything was the fact that there was a notice stating that their utilities would be shut off in a few days on the front door so I am left wondering if this post will even be relevant to those who may interested in the facility in the future.

Shredded Wheat
2009-03-26
United States

Lovely Building, Friendly Competent Staff, Super Clean/All New Paint

I had stayed here a couple years ago. This time I found the hostel to be super clean and well organized. There's a beautiful porch with a swing. It's a short walk to the center of Ashland, which has great little shops. This is extremely good value for any traveler. There are many sweet little rooms without bunk but even the bunk bed mattresses are comfortable. The bathroom was spotless. The linens have no strong smells or any fragrances. The computer is super fast. This is a must stop! The staff member we met was friendly and helpful and a hard worker -- painting, gardening, doing laundry. Lots of pride shown in the care of this place!

Vicki
2008-07-22
US

Great location, clean, smooth like clockwork

this hostel worked great for me. i was on a solo voyage. the hostel was within walking distance of most of what i wanted to do/see in ashland. the house was clean, staff great. i enjoyed the camaraderie of other travelers and loved being able to have my own food and kitchen privileges. it's an old house with its own warmth and charm.

robin
2008-01-11
usa

The Ashland Hostel is a large home just blocks from the center of Ashland's theaters and plaza with a commons room, dining room, equipped kitchen, laundry facilities, clean showers, dorms for men and women, and bike storage. The hostel has seven rooms that accommodate a maximum of 55 travelers. Each dorm room has 4-8 bunk beds. Our family rooms have one double bed and 2 bunk beds.

To make a reservation please call us between 8AM-10AM or 6PM-10PM. You must pay your first night's lodging fees (or half the amount of the total stay if staying for more then one night) as a deposit. We suggest that reservations be made during the Shakespeare Festival (February through October). Foreign travelers may phone ahead or plan to arrive early in the evening.

Address: 150 North Main Street, Ashland, Oregon, USA

The Ashland Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub

Website The Ashland Hostel Ashland (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +1 (541) 482-9217

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 12

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Maximum Stay: TBD

Reception Hours: 4:00pm - 7:00pm; late arrival by appointment

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)

Rate The Ashland Hostel