Minneapolis International Hostel, Minneapolis

Uptown
6.1

your hostels in Minneapolis

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Minneapolis International Hostel rated on booking websites?

Minneapolis International Hostel Reviews

Scam -- First time I've been scammed by a hotel

I know the price is tempting but warning, this place is a scam. I booked a night at this place, and when I got there, there's no one inside when I rang the doorbell, and no one answered the phone. I ended up waiting outside for 3 hours before finding a vacant motel on my phone at 2 in the morning. The next day they refused my refund arguing that although I had booked that night, I didn't call them to inform them. I said that I did call but no one answered and no one's inside the house to answer the doorbell. But they denied that I called them because I didn't leave a message after the tone. I would hate for more people to fall for their scam.

Gavin
2018-07-18
Age 27 | USA

Avoid unless desperate -- unsanitary conditions, dishonest owner

My daughter stayed one night in a dorm in this hostel and was charged for more than 3 nights ($160). Unfortunately she did not read her credit card statement and paid it (yes, lesson learned, I hope!). She also reported that the hostel was "filthy" -- and she is not someone who notices that kind of thing. There was mold throughout the bathroom and the kitchen, and hair plugging the drains. She said the entire place looked like it had not been vacuumed for months. The sheets were also dirty. I phoned and spoke to the owner, a guy named David (or "rude David" as another reviewer called him), who was indeed stunningly rude. I asked him to check his guest registry to see for himself that she had only stayed one night and he started yelling at me "You are so demanding! Why don't you get your husband to call and be demanding?!" Turns out he doesn't keep a guest register. He said that since there was "no one to vouch for her" he couldn't possibly refund her. I called the City of Minneapolis and found out he is required to keep a guest register under the terms of his lodging license. I made a complaint and was surprised to find that the health inspector was very familiar with the hostel -- he confirmed the bad attitude of the owner and the sloppy running of the hostel. He told me there have been other complaints about unsanitary conditions.

Susan
2015-01-26
Canada

The bathroom is not clean

The broken of floor in the bathroom. No laundry room for cleansing the cloths. No one clean the garbage. The road in back door is not smooth for luggage movement.

Li-Chi Chiang
2013-06-25
Age 51 | Taiwan

The problem is the owner, Zev.

He took this hostel from a really great previous owner by the name of Pete. Zev bought the building but not the business (the hostel) that operated in the building. Zev saw the money Pete was making and made an illegal eviction so he could make the money from the hostel. Pete literally killed himself over the loss. Pete was a loving, welcoming person and his nature was to be hospitable. Zev wants money, and that is ALL he cares about. If you are not Jewish he has no use for you except to get your money. If you are of certain heritage he is down right mean to you and doesn't even want you at the hostel. Until he learned he could be sued (thus lose money) by discriminating against guests based upon ethnicity, heritage, or religious belief, he would refuse to let certain people check in. It has been a couple years since I have been to the property, but it sounds like he is up to his same tactics. Minneapolis needs another hostel to represent the city so people can stop funding his discriminatory businesses. The location is good, the building has much history, but every time you stay here you are funding blatant discrimination. Zev uses people like Charlie and George, they stay in the job because they have little to no alternative living options, they don't want to be here, and unfortunately take that frustration out on guests and their disinterest in maintaining the property or taking the time to introduce people to the wonderful city of Minneapolis.

Afraid to say
2013-05-12
Age 30 | Us

Overpriced

Value -- overpriced. We paid $75/ night for a double private room, which wasn't clean. The previous occupants' dental floss, Q-tips, etc. were in the bathroom wastebasket and the floor was gritty.

Location: across the street from the Minneapolis Institute of Art with easy access to the city's bike trail system. Travelers who have experiences staying in hostels will be disappointed with this 'hostel'. We will not stay here again.

Linda
2012-08-25

Dont bother

This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. It's outdated, dirty, and disgusting. Everything is just bad, from the bathrooms to the rooms to the kitchen. In my room, there were bed linens on the side of the bed toward the wall that obviously didnt get picked up. The carpet is dirty. Dont even think about putting something in the refrigerator. It will probably grow legs and walk away by morning. Wifi is weak. For a few dollars more, you can get a cheap motel and probably feel cleaner, safer, and more comfortable. Just plain disgusting.

2012-05-22

Very Nice

This is one of the nicest hostels anywhere in the U.S. Clean, well cared for, in a lovely building, situated in a lovely, safe neighborhood across the street from a beautiful park and an excellent art museum. Lots of public transportation and many services and amenities within a few blocks. It was easy to make a reservation and everything went smoothly. (I stayed here for 3 nights in April 2010). The only thing that keeps this from a 5-star rating is the price -- a bit high for hosteling. It's part of a disturbing trend whereby many hostels are pushing their prices up to unreasonable levels for the real budget traveler. Otherwise, a delight to stay in. I will definitely stay here on future trips to Minneapolis.

2010-09-19
US

Got shoved, physically, by George, the front desk girl

I told charlie I was going to be cutting it close, but I would make it. If I don't make it, I am going to have to sleep in the street. Well I arrived in Minneapolis, at the correct exit, after a hostel employee told me he has no idea what the hostel is by nor directions. So I make it to Lyndale, the exit he told me about, at 9:40. The hostel is about seven minutes away from the exit. He gave me wrong directions, on purpose, maybe, after all he was having a bad day. He had to work fourteen hours. Or so told me the next day, the girl that was now working named George. She told me that I should understand too, that he had to work fourteen hours yesterday. So that almost was justification in my head for him ruining my night and me having to sleep in my car! But I was not convinced. I told her I had been calling since 9:40 just to get help with directions so I could arrive on time. He never answered once. When I did arrive at the hostel at 10:05 after driving around lost for twenty-five minutes, he was gone! 10:05 and he knew I was coming, and could not even wait for me, much less pick up the phone. When I arrived, Len and another younger guy came to the door.The younger guy told me that Charlie was mad that day cause he had to work a double shift. And that is was strange, he heard the phone ringing every minute for about twenty minutes while Charlie cleaned the office and just watched the phone ring. I told this to George the next day, I am not sure if Charlie is her boyfriend or husband, but she told me that the rules are super strict, not even one minute after 10 can they check anyone in, rules of the owners. After she dismissed I for thirty minutes, I asked to speak with a manager. She told me it was her, Charlie, and the owners, who are Jewish, and they do not take calls on Sat.

I told her no problem, to just call, cause she would not give me the number, but she said "No, I will not do that. I already told you they won't answer today." I said that I need to talk to someone about this, so I will leave them a message with my number so they can call me when they listen to the message. She said no, and this time shoved me to the door and told me I have to leave now. I thought, is this an international hostel? How? But then I remembered what George told me earlier. That the hostel is not part of HI, and if I want, I can think of it as a motel or a hotel, not a hostel, that I am just confused by the name. Well after sleeping in my car, and getting absolutely no help, beside physical help to the door, I was still charged $5.10 by Hostel World for sleeping in my car next to the park across from the Hostel. Shame! Charlie is a terrible employee, a terrible ambassador for the U.S., and this was a horrible hostel, from the outside. And George, she is ridiculous, bigger than me, and started to attack physically in front of another guest who just arrived! What a sham and a shame this Minneapolis Hostel is!

Irie Lion
2009-11-17

This 1900's mansion has a very unique and special history.
We have tried to keep up the charm and quaint elegance of its history while catering to the budget traveler. We cater to all travelers and visitors from outside the Minneapolis area. You must have a current out-of-town government-issued photo ID. Our hostel is in a safe neighborhood near downtown Minneapolis. Convenient to local shopping and restaurants. Accessible to good public transportation.

Living room with TV, VCR, DVD
Fireplace
Porch and patio

Free secured storage
Free guest phone line
Free on street parking
Off street parking available for $5.00 per night
Smoke-free environment (smoking allowed outside)
Inexpensive Internet access

Free Bed Linens and towels

Rooms

9 Rooms - 50 Beds Total
2 Private Single Rooms (male or female)
2 Private Double Rooms (male or female)
2 Rooms with 4 Beds per Room (male or female)
1 Room with 5 beds (male or female)
1 Room with 8 beds (female only)
1 room with 7 beds (female only)
1 Room with 16 beds (male only)

• From Downtown Minneapolis: Get on Bus #17 or #18 Southbound (they usually run every 10 minutes or so). Get off at the intersection of 24th Street & Nicollet. Walk east two blocks to 24th Street and Stevens Avenue. The Minneapolis International Hostel is on your right hand side on the southwest corner.
• Bus from the University of Minnesota - Minneapolis Campus: Make your way to Washington Avenue. Get on Bus #2 Westbound - you will be heading toward downtown Minneapolis. Get off at the intersection of Franklin Avenue & Stevens. Walk south two blocks to 24th Street. The Minneapolis International Hostel is on your right hand side.
• Bus from Minneapolis / St Paul International Airport: Get on the #155 shuttle bus which will take you to the Ft. Snelling Light Rail Station. Ride the Light Rail to downtown Minneapolis. Get off at the 5th and Nicollet stop and catch the #17 or #18 Southbound bus. Get off the 17 or 18 at Nicollet and 24th St. Walk 2 blocks east to the hostel.
• From the Amtrak Station in St. Paul: Walk 2 blocks south to University Avenue. Catch the #16 bus and get off at 4th St. and Marquette. Walk to Nicollet St. and catch the #17 or #18 Southbound bus. Get off the 17 or 18 at Nicollet and 24th St. Walk 2 blocks east to the hostel.

Address: 2400 Stevens Avenue South, Uptown, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Minneapolis International Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Minneapolis International Hostel Minneapolis www.minneapolishostel.com
Phone Number: +1 612 522 5000

Reception Hours: Monday-Friday 7 AM - 10 PM, Saturday and Sunday 10AM-10PM and by appointment

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Minneapolis International Hostel