Base Taupo, Taupo

5.5

Base Taupo is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com

It is the only way to book Base Taupo

How is Base Taupo rated on booking websites?

Base Taupo Reviews

this hostel isn't made to suit the elderly. it needs to be improved.

hotnotbutshort
2008-12-02
london

Clean, friendly, awesome bar

when I arrived at Base Taupo, I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent service of the girl at reception, the hostel itself was very clean. My room was bigger than I expected and was even equipped with its own balcony! I had an amazing night at element bar and I couldn't even hear any music when I went to bed, which is a surprise. I will recommend this hostel to anyone and will be back soon.

Matt
2008-04-26
English

DUMP! The only positive is the location, right in the center of town. But this place is filthy, beds are some of the worst I've encountered (so bad that one girl in the dorm pulled her mattress off the squeaky, saggy bed and laid it on the floor), en-suite bathrooms seem like they haven't been cleaned since last century, and don't get me started on the rest of the facilities. Didn't help that one girl in the dorm showed up drunk with a random guy at 3:30am and started going at it on the bunk below me. Fun stuff. For heaven's sake, avoid!

Sarah
2006-07-09

This is be far the worst hostel we have seen in NZ. The rooms are dirty and antiquated. The kitchen is a joke and is directly attached to the bar. If you want a nice affordable room in a friendly hostel, head across the road to Go Global.

Clarkie
2006-01-01

This is the worst place I have ever stayed. I found it to be noisy and dirty.

Martin Brash
2005-11-15

We had the BEST time in this backpackers. Not only were the staff friendly but they welcomed us with open arms and made us even jump out of a plane!! When we came back from jumping, the manager bought us shots and even let us play our DVD on the big screen. The place has character and if you're looking for a place to rest your head and have good time at, then this is the PLACE!! You're living out of a suitcase... you can't be picky all the time.

Brewster and Anne
2005-10-23

This is the perfect place to be if you want a night on the town and just need somewhere to lay your head for a couple of hours. It's all you need, and the bar is awesome if you're with your mates.

Ryan
2005-08-15

Dirty and very worn out. My bed had many broken springs and I ended up sleeping on the floor. I was quite scared, too, when the manager got very drunk or drugged and punched another man and was taken away by the police. I chose this place because Lonely Planet said it is maybe good but it is a old book. Don't go there ever.

Jesper
2005-02-02

Base Taupo Reviews from the Web

It was good place for stay but the room I was stayed not clean and carpet was not clean, kitchen facilities are very old and kitchen was very dirty. Front line staff was friendly but the staff who had responsibility in kitchen area was not friendly. Like She gave permission for same customer to use kitchen all night and tell to others kitchen is close now left kitchen as soon as possible. So I think its not fair at all.

alijansayed52460
2020-10-09

Liked: . Didn't like: .

2015-09-23

Liked: Location, good spot for pick up and drop off points. Didn't like: Staff were extremely rude and even when I went to the effort of emailing the manager she didn't respond, even over a week later I am yet to receive acknowledgement. Music was far too loud in the bar downstairs with had a total of 10 people in, including the staff. Room was literally shaking from the noise.

2015-05-19

Liked: Clean and tidy rooms quality ensuite- the guy working jn the morn at check out was very good Didn't like: Stairs, im lazy hahaha

2015-02-02

Liked: Location. Good friendly staff. Girl on the desk was very helpful. Didn't like: Bed was almost on the floor. Wet dirty towels in the room which made us wonder if the bed had been changed.

2014-06-07

Really clean rooms, the ensuite bathrooms are so clean with the best showers I've ever had travelling!

2013-10-22

Liked: Probably the only truly clean hostel I have ever stayed in!!! Didn't like: No parking- all parks on street 60 minutes.My room was TINY 3 people no room to stand.Booked a room with private bathroom however didn't have one- 1 shower toilet on floor???? Not sure how many people were sharing it but not enough bathrooms for a huge hostelBar across the road VERY loud don't expect to sleep

2013-07-25

Liked: good location, near bars, clean and tidy, totally worth it! Didn't like: too close to the bar"Element", a little noisy at night.

2013-04-07

Liked: Great room, very clean and well set-up Didn't like: Great location, although very loud at night (it's on a street full of bars/clubs with very loud music. Hard to sleep on a thursday/friday/saturday night

2012-12-16

Liked: nothing Didn't like: everything. staff were rude. it was very loud. very dirty.

2012-03-20

Liked: Free BBQ and towel. Good atmosphere. Didn't like: The kitchen and bedrooms could do with a deep clean. But not the worst place we have stayed.

2012-03-14

We are right in the centre of town with a few minutes walk from the lake, information centre, email outlets, shops and cafes etc.. We have our own bar upstairs, with meals and nightly specials. A balcony off our bar to sit outside and enjoy the views of the lake and the mountains. We can arrange local activities. We do have storage facilities, two kitchens, laundry and pool table.

We are on the corner of Tuwharetoa Street and Tongariro Street. A big green building above a Chinese Takeaways

Address: 7 Tuwharetoa Street, Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand

Base Taupo is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub

Nightclub

Table Tennis

Videogames

Walking Tours

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 8 PM (08:00-20:00)

Rate Base Taupo