Aussitel Backpackers, Coffs Harbour

7.2

Aussitel Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Aussitel Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Aussitel Backpackers Reviews

A lot of effort is put into making Aussitel Backpackers a nice place to stay. The staff here are very helpful and do their best to make your stay as pleasurable as can be.

Aussitel Backpackers is conveniently located next to a gas station, and halfway between the harbour and the city centre -- about twenty minutes' walk either way. There are plenty of restaurants, cafs, and bars in Coffs Harbour, making it a good place to find work. There are also farms surrounding the area -- the reception can supply you with their numbers. With the creek across the road, there are plenty of beautiful walks and cycle routes nearby. Aussitel has a variety of activities daily, usually a morning activity (surfing, jetty jumping, visiting the Big Banana) and one in the evening (sunset kayaking, visiting Emerald Beach) the hostel also hires out bikes, kayaks, surfboards, and paddle boards.

The rooms -- with bunk beds -- are basic but relatively spacious and there's enough room to have your own space; there are no lockers for your belongings, but valuables can be kept at reception. Housekeeping staff are on the ball and do a very good job each morning. There isn't air conditioning but there is a fan, so sometimes it gets a bit stuffy. There are private rooms available.

The bathrooms are clean. The showers can be very temperamental -- turn it a millimetre one way and it'll be boiling and a millimetre the other way and it's freezing! But it's all working and clean, with shelves and hooks for your things so they don't get soaked in the process!

The kitchen is very clean, and there's plenty of cutlery and crockery for everyone. It can get very busy at lunch and dinner, but going a little earlier or later usually isn't too inconvenient. There is lots of fridge and shelf space for food -- there doesn't seem to be a problem with food going missing. There is a pool and sun loungers along with outdoor seating and a dartboard. There is free Wi-Fi -- you get a daily allowance; there are also computers, which are free to use for as long as you please. The TV area near the kitchen area is very comfortable, but its location means it can get a bit noisy -- it's often very popular in the evenings when there's a film on. The main door gets locked at 10 p.m. and can be accessed with a code after this time.

Summary

Aussitel Backpackers is reasonably priced and they will give you numbers of local farms and make suggestions on activities in which to get involved.

Graceland
2014-03-05

Didnt want to leave this place

I would thoroughly recommend for any back packer to stay in Aussitel. I have never met nicer people to run a hostel -- friendly, genuine and always up for a laugh. For anyone going to Coffs Harbour, u will meet the nicest staff ever (Vickie and Jim) and the same can be said for the owners (Paul & Cath). They have absolutely EVERYTHING u could possibly want to do down there and make sure every one gets involved in some sort of activity, whether it be during the day or at night, ur guaranteed to make new friends if ur traveling by yourself or with a group. Everywhere was cleaned on a daily basis -- rooms, kitchen, outdoor are, toilets/showers. I will most definitely be going back here when Im traveling south and have recommended it to anyone ive spoken too. Vickie and Jim are two top people and u can be sure that they will look after you.

Sinead
2012-12-13
Irish

I just didnt want to leave!!

I love Aussitel, and Coffs Harbour. Many of my friends who had visited Australia before me told me not to come to Coffs Harbour -- that would have been a BIG mistake. The hostel is fantastic, theres always something to do (free Canoes ... Bodyboards, Fishing!). Theres also some great diving in the South Solitary Island Marine Park. But really its the staff here that make the place special. They make you feel welcome and part of the group, great if your a single traveler looking to meet some friends. As theres something going on every night (BBQ, Pancake making, Punch night ... we even had a mexican night where we all had mexican names, wore moustaches, and drank sangria all night long) -- theres always an opportunity to get to know people. Thank you Aussitel, you are and will be one of the highlights of my two years in Australia!!

Martyn Harris
2010-04-25
United Kingdom

Great place

It is a nice little hostel. I stayed here six days and loved it. The staff were very nice and it was a great social hostel!

Margit
2009-04-26
norway

Best hostel ever!

I stayed here for two nights in January and if I'd had more time I would have stayed longer! Best hostel I've ever stayed in. It's small and homey, everyone's friendly, there are heaps of activities to do out of the hostel, and you can hire and borrow equipment including three-seater canoes and body boards. I would recommend this to anyone traveling alone and looking to make friends -- you will make heaps here!

Rachel
2009-02-22
UK

Booked for three nights, stayed for a month

Coffs harbour was just meant to break up my travels from sydney to byron. But i ended up having such a great time and meeting so many quality people, that i just couldnt leave. I was able to do so many thing in that time, PADI (next door the dive centre, value for money), white water rafting, sea kayaking. There is a real homey feel about the place and i was very sad to leave.

annab
2009-01-25
scottish

Started off great then it all changed

I have just finished my stay in Coffs Harbour and it was sooner than I intended. Reading past comments saying such amazing things about the staff at this hostel I can only surmise that some new staff in charge have been appointed. My first impression of the hostel was that it was small but definitely made up for being a bit out of where the main shops are. The rooms were fine but not amazing but the pool was nice. For me, as im sure is the same for many travelers, it is the people that make the experience (or break it). By coincidence I met up with traveling friends from Melbourne and Sydney and a surf camp i went on at this hostel and made some amazing new ones. Due to unchangeable circumstances another friend from home booked me and her into another hostel in Coffs for three nights after I got there. I didnt want to move but they didnt have space for my friend, i didnt want to leave her on her own and would have lost money from the other booking. i explained the situation to the managers of the hostel, one in particular (a fellow english person nicknamed goose -- who had seemed like a decent guy) was really unclear about me hanging out at the hostel. I kept being told different things about whether i could visit in the communal areas or not, what time i had to leave by and my friends who were still paying money to be there were made to feel angry and uncomfortable by comments made by staff about me visiting them there and derogatory comments about the other hostel in coffs. i made every effort to compromise with staff and show my understanding of rules in place whilst also hoping they'd understand that i wanted to spend time with my friends. they seemed to be fine and nothing was said when i stayed and paid towards punch night and bbq night when i was not staying there in the night but not when we were just there for a short time sitting on the sofa waiting for a taxi. i thought the people would be a friendly contact but i didnt feel like this in the end. i had the intention (with my other friend) of moving back to avoid the situation by giving them my money but in the end i didnt feel like it. i was made to feel like a child and embarrassed in front of others -- not good. it proved to me that money seemed to be at the root of the problem rather than rules about people standing there (not even when they were full) rather than being friendly.

Jen
2008-04-06

Wasn't really a fan of this hostel. Thought it was quite noisy and the dorm rooms were very basic and quite crowded. They did however have activities on almost every night and give you a sheet describing things to do in and around Coffs.

belinda
2007-02-05

Aussitel Backpackers Reviews from the Web

I would not stay here again. As a solo female traveler Aussitel did not feel like a secure or open environment. When I arrived the entire common area was full of older men, I didnt see any women except for the staff member checking me in. The staff member explained to me that a community of migrant workers were staying at the hostel and every evening from 19:00-19:20 they sing communal worship songs. She also explained because they were staying at the hostel, there was no alcohol allowed on premises (seems

sbdoherty20104275
2022-07-04

Pleasant hostel located within walking distance of the marina/beach. Pretty empty but that didn't stop me from making a couple of friends (covid and more of a quiet travel period)! No parking facilities (only on the street out front) but felt reasonably safe doing that. Facilities were good and manager was helpful!

haydentk
2022-05-09

Warm welcome very friendly host, bedrooms simple but sleep able. Kitchen and lounge area good. Easy access to shops, bars and food.

molliehughes6479
2022-05-05

Only stayed for one night, but had everything I needed, and lots of social areas.

beth2840
2022-04-29

The accomodation is uncomfortable. The staffs are not friendly. We cannot use stove, microwave, water heater in the morning (it was around 8am), the staff seemed deliberately turned off the electricity power to the appliances, and no help.

ariefrahmanov6888
2021-05-15

Place is nice, clean, but there were weird people apparently living there, smoking the whole day so kitchen area and even bedrooms smelled cigarettes. All good except people.

milanascimentto4605
2021-04-12

Didn't stay because didn't feel secure and confortable. Staffs not really nice and doesnt listen. For a woman it's definitly not a place to stay.

lya6969694566
2021-04-04

Clean and free stuff is great

mullo187649837
2021-03-07

The best hostel I've been to, the owners are amazing and welcoming. The facilities are great and are always clean and tidy.

The location is in the perfect spot for kayaking on the river, which was free to hire!

Would highly recommend staying here.

shannessy4443282
2021-03-04

Friendly and accommodating management/staff. Clean rooms and common rooms, relaxing vibe. Free kayaks, stand up paddle boards and surfboards which were really fun! Accessible and central to all needs, Coles and the pub. Had such a great stay at Aussie:)

caitlinparsons1982885
2021-01-11

Its a nice hostel but would not go back there. The staffs are the least people group in the world. They control until what time you can drink, even if you are completely silent without being anoying, at 10.30 they make you throw your drinks in the bin.

Apart from that they are constantly rude, and call you with insults.

Would be a great hostel if it wasn't for that, but the atmosphere with them around are the worst.

solavruj5264
2021-01-07

Aussitel Backpackers is a great place to stay. The staff are friendly and go out if their way to help wherever they can.

The hostel is tidy and clean. They have stand up paddle boards and kayaks you can hire. Everyone is really friendly. My stay there was enjoyable and I will definitely be back!

jlparsons11888020
2021-01-03

We had a private room. Nice, simple and clean facilities.

A short walk to the shopping strip, food and the beach. Overall a decent hostel.

ben8244
2020-12-31

Aussitel was fully booked when I stayed, meaning it was 6 of us in a 6 bed dorm.

I didn't expect that as other hostels weren't running at full capacity because of Covid, and that made me super uncomfortable but there was nothing I could do. It would have been good to know that the rooms would be full before booking.

2020-12-29

Great location close to bars, cafes and restaurants. Reception staff was very friendly and helpful.

allisonahunter4154
2020-12-29

Great hostel. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Beds are great! The owners are really nice and happy to help you for anything you need. This is a big plus for a hostel. The girl who was working for them was not the friendliest person though. The bathroom needs a good ventilation system since there's mold everywhere.

giuseppedorazzi2379
2020-12-13

Very good hostel, the staff were super friendly and helpful, the facilities were clean and it was in a very good location close to the jetty, beaches, bars and cafes.

CarlaaaCR
2020-12-02

A well run business, Gary was great and allowed me to park my motorbike on site without me asking. The staff were all friendly and knew what they were doing. Exceptional value for a quick overnight layover

meehanpaulm8852
2020-11-28

The management of the hostel is excellent

Plenty to do: including kayaking so awesome wonderful way to explore the australian nature

The ocean is walking distance with plenty of cafes nearby and on the way to the surf beaches

Can learn to surf here too

You can enjoy the excellent international family atmosphere and stay as long as YOU CHOOSE

Reception responds immediately to any requests and can provide local knowledge

An amazing experience and will hopefully return soon

sp_horton2476
2020-11-10

When I went to use the kitchen in the morning, I pressed down on the toaster lever and as I did, 5 cockroaches ran out underneath it. I didnt know whether to scream or vomit but youll never see myself in there again. Luckily I was only staying one night. The moment that happened, I ran out.

therookywanderer
2020-11-08

Free WiFi, free surfboards, free canoes & surf kayaks, free stand-up paddle boards and heaps more! Purpose built hostel, centrally located with organized activities every day and night to make sure you have a stay to remember!

Free pickup from the bus station between 5am and 10pm.

We are perfectly located in the lively Jetty area close to cafes, pubs, restaurants, shops and an international marina. The beach is just a 7 minute walk.

With fabulous large communal areas and excellent facilities our clean, comfortable, fun, friendly hostel is well known for its great atmosphere; it's so easy to meet other people and have a good time.

You can take our free surf kayaks down to the beach, use the free canoes to explore the beautiful Coffs Creek and then have fun with our bikes, free stand up paddle boards, free surfboards, free boogie boards and free fishing rods. Spot wild Koalas in the Botanic Gardens, just a 10 minute walk down the creek.

Owned and operated by Paul and Cath, we can help you organize any of the fabulous adventure activities Coffs Harbour has to offer. We will be happy to share our knowledge of the area and show you the Coffs Harbour that we know and love.

Just some of the fun activities available are skydiving, scuba diving, surfing, horse riding, camel riding, whitewater rafting and whale watching. Join us for a great time!

Aussitel Backpackers is purpose built with a swimming pool, hammocks and sun loungers, a pool table and excellent cooking and laundry facilities. We are well known for our friendly, fun atmosphere and have a brilliant range of planned social activities (one every day and night of the week) that will guarantee you a stay to remember! So come and join in the fun!

We hope to see you soon.

NB: An international passport must be presented at check-in.

• 312 Harbour Drive
• For bus, train and airport arrivals call in advance to arrange free pickup.
• From the South: Pacific highway until you see police station on left, at traffic lights turn right into Park Avenue, go past Woolworths, turn left at roundabout, next roundabout turn right into Harbour Drive. Continue down towards the water until you see Aussitel on your right, the Promonade on your left.
• From the North: Pacific hwy past Park Beach Plaza shopping centre, at major intersection turn left into Orlando street, there is a car yard on left, continue straight down past the Jetty,restaurants, and school, Aussitel is on the left, opposite the Promonade.

Address: 312 Harbour Drive, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia

Aussitel Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Aussitel Backpackers Coffs Harbour www.aussitel.com
Phone Number: +61 (2) 6651-1871, 1-800-330-335

Safe Deposit Box

Bike Rental ($5 per day)

Luggage Storage ($5 after 5pm)

Towels ($1)

Darts

Evening Entertainment

Outdoor Seating

Swimming Pool

Table Tennis

Genders: Males & Females

Reception Hours: 8am -12pm; 1.30pm - 8pm

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Aussitel Backpackers