Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers, Mount Maunganui

8.7

Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers Reviews

Good at first, bedbugs later

This place did appear to be fairly clean (except for the toilets) and was pretty quiet after 10pm, so it was easy to fall asleep. It has a laid back vibe, but it struck me as a bit strange how people were always hanging out in the common room and parking lot at all times of day. Most places it seems people are out doing stuff all day. In my experience a hostel isn't normally full of people at 2 pm. However, my first night there I noticed a small brown bug crawling up my arm. I didn't know what it was at the time, but now I think it was a bedbug, because two days later I noticed several red bumps on my wrists and neck. One week later, I'm covered in large itchy bumps. I emailed the owners, who claim they inspect and clean the bed every time a guest leaves, and spray for bugs every 3 months. Maybe they do, but now I'm worried that I've been exposed to bedbugs.

Dave
2011-04-12

Response from the accommodation:

Hi there thanks for reviewing us. We take prevenative measure in our hostels to prevent bed bugs, such as bed bug locks on all mattresses, however if you alerted staff we take these claims very seriously and would have sorted out the issue ASAP. We are glad you enjoyed our large and spacious hostel and had a good night's sleep with us. We are a social hostel and we have a nice patio outside so it's one of our guests favorite places to hang out! We take pride in being a hostel where it's easy to mingle and meet people. Safe travels and thanks from the PCL team!

This is the best of all the hostels that I stayed in when in New Zealand. This place is kept scrupulously clean by the friendly owners and staff, the kitchen being closed at around ten-thirty in the morning and night for thorough scrub and polish, the toilets and showers also get the same attention to detail in the morning. Vacuum cleaning is done with an almost religious devotion! Excessive noise or rowdy behaviour is not tolerated and is dealt with swiftly by the owners, they want peace and quite as they live in an apartment in the hostel. The building work next door did mean an early start to the day but as this was not the responsibility of the owners PCB still gets a gold star rating. Fantastic place to stay.

Bill
2006-07-12

Response from the accommodation:

Hi Bill, thanks for reviewing us. We are glad that you took note of our spacious and clean facilities, which are cleaned at least twice a day! While we take pride in being a social hostel, we do make sure all guests are able to have a good night's sleep and we don't tolerate a rowdy environment. We hope you'll stay with us again on your travels, thanks from all of us at PCL!

Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers Reviews from the Web

Very good location and friendly ppl

mephistto3509
2022-06-04

Loved staying here for the night. It has a great atmosphere, the staff are super friendly and great facilities - everything you need in a hostel. If you cant get a park at the back of the hostel, there is free parking the street over which is still very convenient and safe. I would 100% come back here again.

kaylamczar8184
2021-12-18

Great backpackers near the beach. They helped me find work on the Kiwifruit farm so i was very happy. Great vibe, lots going on. Clean and very helpful staff. highly recommend.

traveller10
2021-03-02

Decent hostel in a great location with onsite and really close offsite free parking. Overall facilities are fine, hostel is clean and staff are helpful the only downside is there are not enough toilets and showers for the amount of guests.

dan_drammis6107
2021-01-10

Decent property with a fantastic location. The beds were quite short. There was only one toilet/shower downstairs for multiple dorm rooms to share which was frustrating. The upstairs showers weren't the best either, hard to get changed without getting your clothes wet. Decent value for money so I was happy with my stay despite the above issues.

alexduffin5893
2020-12-27

Highest endorsement for this joint. Brilliant atmosphere, mix of long termers and short termers, the long termers all friendly as anything and easy to make some mates. Bottle-o is right across the road, Maccas next door, 7 minutes walk to beach and about the same to first pub on the strip. Staff all friendly as anything as well. Defs a great place to crash, will myself be staying here again next trip to the Mount.

mlschofield4222
2020-10-02

I and my friends had not the best time in this place.

The hostel is nice but staff was quite dry. They seemed to want us out as soon as possible and were bothered by our prece se when checking out.

If staff changed, I would consider going there again.

Also my friend lost his jumper and they didn't help.

Audret
2020-09-30

Liked: LOVED this hostel. People were great, staff friendly, beds comfy, lots to do when it was raining... very happy! Already told people to go here. Didn't like: Kitchen was always dirty... but that's due to the long termers, not the hostel. Saw it was cleaned twice a day... can't fault it otherwise!

2017-02-27

Liked: -very friendly atmosphere and the staff is so helpful. -There are different herbs and other to use in the kitchen -TV room with a great choice of movies -Surfboards rental for free-very clean bathroom Didn't like: Nothing everything was very fine :)

2015-12-24

Liked: The location was pretty good and it's also the bus stop, which is convenient. The kitchen and lounges are pretty big as well. Every staff member I dealt with was really nice and helpful. Didn't like: It's a working hostel, so the long - term people are a bit cliquey and have the run of the kitchen and bathrooms after 5pm. The kitchen is pretty much packed to the gills with their food, leaving very little storage space for people only staying a night or two.

2014-05-02

Liked: Big kitchen Didn't like: They says free wifi, actually only free 1 hour a day!!!The showers are in upstairs.

2014-03-18

Liked: helpful staff Didn't like: nothing

2014-02-22

Liked: The staff were very helpful with recommending things to do and see. I stayed in the twin single room and it was very clean. There was a sink in the room which helped since there was only one shower and toilet shared between four rooms. Didn't like: Parking was a bit tight, not many spaces. We only had one shower and toilet to share between four rooms. You get one hour of wifi to use for free, after that you have to pay and it did not work in our room. The kitchen was a bit messy, but there were lots of people there at the time. The location is fine if you have a car, but if you are walking it takes a long time to get to the mount.

2013-09-29

Great Staff!!!

2013-07-21

There was a happy friendly atmosphere there it was good people respectful of one another, no youths drinking alcohol all over the place. Warm and a good location

2013-06-26

Liked: Had a dorm that seemed quite new. Didn't like: No-one else in dorm which is in some respects good but doesn't allow so much chance of meeting people. (another person I did meet also was alone in a big dorm)No hooks at all in dorm - very spartan, only bunk units No shelf in shower room to put shampoo on Very low lighting in room, impossible to read! Only a light for upper level not lowerLittle improvements could make a big difference to comfort

2013-04-14

Big room, clean and tidy. Hand basin a nice touch. Bus stop was outside, and it was pizza night when I stayed!

2013-03-27

Awesome... Had a great time... A little off the beaten path but a short walk to downtown. The rooms are a little tight but not bad!

Leslie
2012-02-23

We are an award winning hostel, and the only hostel in Mount Manuganui with a 4 star Qiualmark rating so you can be confident your stay with us meets superior quality standards and will exceed your expectations!

We are magnificently located within walking distance to the beautiful shores of Mount Maunganui Beach, offering affordable accommodation. Mount Maunganui is New Zealand's summer playground and it sparkles with 100km of white sandy beaches and enticing blue ocean. The seaside resort town is New Zealander's favorite holiday destination with the spectacular crashing surf beach on one side and the tranquil sheltered harbour on the other draws thousands of holiday makers every summer season and the international traveler throughout the year.

The friendly team at Pacific Coast Lodge are able to give genuine advice and offer great deals on the range of activities and adventures, to help you make the most of your stay in Mount Maunganui, ensuring that you experience the best that the Bay of Plenty has to offer – anything from swimming with Dolphins, amazing walks & hot pools, to deep sea fishing, kayaking & surfing.

We are the only hostel in Mount Maunganui that actively assists you in finding work! Anything from fruit picking and orchard work, to factory and labouring jobs – we have people calling us daily for workers!

The hostel is well established and provides loads of the comforts you crave from a Backpackers. We have a variety of shared facility rooms to enjoy, with a huge communal kitchen (great for large groups!) with free tea/coffee/herbs/spices, a covered outdoor courtyard with fairy lights and hammocks and BBQ. There is a games and reading room waiting for you to challenge us to a game of Table Tennis or have a jam on our guitars, along with a separate TV Lounge room upstairs kitted out with over 2000 movies on our media player.

And if that isn't enough, we are happy to provide you with FREE surfboards to use so you can enjoy the sunshine and catch a few waves, we are located only a few blocks from them beach.

Visit Mount Maunganui and stay at Pacific Coast Lodge for an experience to call home about! With a clean facility, full of fun and a great social atmosphere, it's easy to meet other travellers and share all your wonderful travel adventures … Come & share them with us!
Peace, Love & Sandy Feet

• We are situated at 432 Maunganui road which is the main road into Mount Maunganui (and also the main road of the Mount). We are near to McDonalds also.
• The local bus stop is located right out the front of the Backpackers, hop on Bus # 2 if you have arrived into Tauranga.
• INTERCITY bus stop is also right outside -- Make sure you choose stop code PCL Pacific Coast Lodge for Intercity.
• Location
• We are just 10 minutes walk from downtown the Mount, and are perfectly situated if you're looking to be near the beach in Mount Maunganui (only 5 minute walk from Tay Street Beach for the best surf!).
• On a working holiday? We're close to Te Puke, home to New Zealand's Kiwifruit and Avocado industry. We can assist you in finding work - Ask us about discounted long term stays.

Address: 432 Maunganui Road (2 doors from McDonald's), Mount Maunganui, New Zealand

Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers Mount Maunganui www.pacificcoastlodge.co.nz
Phone Number: +64 7 574 9601

Table Tennis

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 5

Min. Age with Parent (private room): 5

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 9 PM (08:00-21:00)

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers