Tasman Backpackers, Devonport

7.3

your hostels in Devonport

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

Tasman Backpackers Reviews

Awesome working hostel

I came there with the sole intention of doing my farm work for the 88 days. Ben got me a job in apples to start the day after I arrived in apples in which he drove us, and within a week he'd found me an awesome hourly paid job in potatoes. If you're not really interested or don't speak to anyone, they won't bother, which is fair. But if you actually try, they're great. it's no air b&b, but it's a working hostel. Conditions aren't perfect, but that's life, you're in Tasmania. I loved it, real community vibe and owners are awesome. You read so many horror reviews on awful owners, but they were the best. Any bad reviews are purely based on a too high expectation for a working hostel. Everyone there loved it -- at Easter there was a free BBQ and everyone entered the guess the egg competition, and the whole hostel gathered for the results and they threw loads of chocolate eggs out to the crowd. Real family vibe, great time. That's the find of thing you get here.

Jordan
2017-05-20
Age 21 | England

Pure Hell!

I have no idea how anyone could gives this place more than 1 star. The places is totally rundown, it's filthy, there is no wifi (only 2 old computers with internet connection), the kitchen had about 5 pots and 3 pans for 100 people to use. The hosts are totally unreliable: reception hours are supposed to be from 8am onwards, but the guy just decided to turn up at 9am. I also needed to rent a quilt from them but they handed me an unzipped sleeping bag ... this place is crazy.

Jan
2015-04-08

Stayed for 3 months, Loved It!!!

Me and my bro came to Tasman Backpackers in March 2014 as we needed to do our farm work. As soon as we arrived we got a twin room which was pretty good as it had a big chest of draws, a wardrobe and a sink. We went to the front desk and enquired about work and was told we could start picking apples tomorrow which was awesome as we needed money coming in and to get our days done. We got a lift to and from work paying $4 a day for transport. After work it was hectic with people getting showers and using the kitchen. I learnt pretty early on that it's easier to use the barbecue outside instead of the kitchen in rush hour but once it got quieter it was fine. You have 4 minutes of warm water in the showers unless you wait for a minute for another 4 minutes but after a few bad experiences waiting for hours trying to get into the shower at other hostels it's actually a blessing. Let me get to the important stuff. The owners and the farm work. The owners were awesome and great people. They were still new to the hostel game when we got there but they helped us the best they could with getting jobs and transport and everything like that. They put on free barbecue's and pool tournaments for everybody which was cool. There wasn't really any rules along as your respectful and don't take the piss. Honestly I don't have a bad word to say about them.

The work, we started picking apples straight away in march, we were quite lucky with timing as a few people had been waiting a few weeks for work. There are a couple of Apple farms, weeding jobs, flower picking, and factory work. Eventually I got an hourly pair job which was awesome at a factory packing onions, getting an hourly paid job farming is something you should try for but the experience of Apple picking by the bucket was something I won't forget. I have met friends for life here and I wish everybody there all the success in the world. I hope our paths will cross again someday.

Lewis
2014-12-01
Age 23 | English

Run away!

Rundown facilities. Extremely noisy until the wee hours of the morning. The room looked and smelled as if it had not been cleaned in a month. Common areas outside (enclosed court yard) was choking with cigarette smoke. Fairly sure there was a mouse in my room. There were food wrappers and mouse droppings under my bed! I stayed one night and that was one too many.

Dave
2012-04-12
Australlia

This backpackers will be your home in Tasmania

I had stayed Tasman Backpackers for three months. Staff were very kind, and they often talked to me friendly. I am really glad to stay there. Pool competition is taking place every Saturday night. There were many tough players. Can you win? if you come to here, you will make many friends. I guarantee it.

Motorle
2008-04-09
Japan

This hostel was ok for one night. The place is in dire need of upgrading the bathrooms -- they're awful (well, the one on the first floor was). The kitchen is too small for the amount of people staying here and got ridiculously crowded at one point. The hostel is a ten-minute drive from the main centre of town. On the plus side, the common areas are spacious and there is even a little cinema. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Jay
2007-05-13
UK

The place is clean, with a lot of space. the managing is efficient, friendly, and helpful.

Paolo
2007-04-22
Italy

The operators cant help themselves but to please the weary traveller. The facilities are equitable to any backpackers I have stayed in but the service and friendliness of the operators can not be beaten. Will come Again.

2006-10-09

Tasman House is a highly rated and well known 102 bed Hostel located in the centre of Devonport in Tasmania, It has all normal facilities with large living, dining and lawn recreation areas, Tasman House is noted for the very friendly atmosphere where the peoples from all over the world meet to talk of their past travels and get information on their future travels. Relaxation and rest in the bedroom area while fun times and laughter are the normal atmosphere in the living areas.

Address: 114 Tasman Street, Devonport, Tasmania, Australia

Tasman Backpackers is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Tasman Backpackers Devonport www.tasmanbackpackers.com.au
Phone Number: +61 (3) 6423-2335

Curfew: 00:00 (12 Midnight)

Open Dates: all year full time

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 10 PM (08:00-22:00)

Size: Very Large (100+ beds)

Rate Tasman Backpackers