Greg & Tom Hostel the First

The Hostelz.com Review

Easily the most notable thing about Greg & Tom Hostel the First is how well the staff take care of you. They help to create a super sociable atmosphere, offer free dinners and an incredible breakfast, and host a pub crawl with a seemingly endless supply of vodka. That being said, the bulk of the drinking takes place at their sister hostel,so you can still have a quiet night if you feel like one.

It’s almost impossible to say anything bad about the location of Greg & Tom Hostel the First. It’s just outside the main bus and train stations and about ten minutes from the Old Town square on foot. The Jewish district is a little further away at about twenty-five minutes, but it’s still perfectly manageable. In terms of local amenities, there’s a corner shop on the ground floor of the building as well as a larger Biedronka supermarket just around the corner, not to mention the massive mall across the road. The only thing worth mentioning is to make sure you go to the right hostel as there are a few under the "Greg and Tom" name in Krakow! Not that we made that mistake, of course ...

The rooms in the hostel are generally very spacious and comfortable. Big, sturdy bunk beds provide a decent night’s sleep, and each berth has its own reading light and plug socket. Absolutely massive lockers mean there’s plenty of storage space, and you don’t need to provide your own padlock. Much like the rest of the hostel, the bathrooms were clean and modern, with toilets and showers in separate cubicles/rooms to avoid major queues. Plus, there are bathrooms available on other floors so you can always go and use a different one if it gets busy.

As mentioned earlier, this is a very sociable hostel, and that’s thanks largely to all of the communal spaces available. A modern kitchen comes with great facilities (not that you’ll need to use them all that much because the hostel staff do most of the cooking for you), while there’s also a balcony with a couple of garden chairs. A nice common area comes with plenty of sofa space, and it’s here that most of the socialising takes place, including the option of post-dinner drinking games. And on top of all that, each floor seems to have its own kitchenette/common area for even more hangout space.

Summary

If you’re after a hostel that takes absolutely brilliant care of its guests, then you needn’t look any further than Greg & Tom Hostel the First. The staff, atmosphere, and of course the free food and drink make for a hugely enjoyable stay, and there are also plenty of tours available if you’re interested. One minor drawback is the lack of laundry facilities, but they’ll happily point you in the direction of a launderette if you’re in need. All things considered, this hostel really goes above and beyond to help you make the most of your time in Krakow.
by Elliott
2017-08-11
Front entrance
Common area
Balcony
4-bed dorm
4-bed dorm

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Greg & Tom Hostel the First" at Ul. Pawia 12/15.)

Ul. Pawia 12/15, Krakow (Kraków), Little Poland (Krakow), Poland
www.gregtomhostel.com
00 48 12 422 41 00
+48 12 399 41 97

How is Greg & Tom Hostel the First rated on other websites?

Perfect
I stayed in a few good hostels during my travel in Europe but only Greg and Tom can be considered as perfect. First it's the food. Free breakfast and dinner. Are you kidding me? And it's not just toast and coffee, it's one whole delicious spread, prepared for all the guests to enjoy. Saved lots of money on food because of that. Then the location which is close to everything including the main train and bus station. Really easy to find for a first time visitor like me. The main town area is also about 7 minutes walk. Also like the common area that they have. Not only the one on the main floor is conveniently equipped with a big TV, DVDs and a free public computer, the one they prepared in other floor is also great if you want some alone time comfortably. Lastly, the thing that I love most, their staffs. They're really just a riot. Fun bunch of people who's good at their job and excited to help all the guest, especially Ola and Ewa. They enjoyed their work so much and they even come to help on their off days. I hang around the common area a lot and all I can say is Ola works really hard. I don't think there's anyone else who loves the hostel more than her. And I do agree with her, this hostel is definitely the best. I will return.
Rizalman
(Malaysia)
2015-08-16

Great place, great people!
Stayed there in a private room with my girlfriend mostly because we both love the social aspects of hostels, and we were not disappointed! The people working there, and the people we met were all great fun, and we look forward to going back!
Shashi
Age 29, Norwegian
2015-03-01

The best place I've ever stayed!!!!
This hostel was better than some hotels that I've stayed at. I was greeted my the lovely J.M who was so fabulously full of life and friendly. The hostel has this beautiful presence about it and is so clean and beautifully furnished. David was another awesome worker at the hostel. They are all fun and friendly. The atmosphere is awesome and they provide a beautiful home cooked meal for breakfast and dinner (a treat then you are traveling the globe). I would definitely stay there again. I can't speak highly enough of the staff and the hostel. It was great, keep up the good work!!
Alisha
Age 26, Australian
2014-08-18

A lot for so little
The shower is fantastic. The free breakfast and free dinner (with free beer) was great. The staff was friendly. 5 stars!
LaRon
Age 31, USA
2013-10-07

The Best Hostel
We arrived from a night train to Krakow at 7 in the morning. We were immediately able to check-in and the person working even got us breakfast. During the stay everything was great and the staff gave us awesome recommendations for things to do in the city and places to eat.
Andy
2013-06-26

Comfortable and convenient hostel
I was 100% satisfied with my stay. The location is extremely convenient to the main train station in Krakow, the hostel was clean and felt safe. I unconditionally recommend it as a great place to stay while experiencing Krakow.
Ryan
(American)
2012-12-19

Best hostel I've been to
I've probably been to about 10 hostels and this is the best one. They serve really good food, the staff is amazing, the spaces are modern and clean, it's centrally located and it's inexpensive!
Geoff
2012-11-05

Perfect
Just the perfect hostel -- can't think of anything to improve it. Excellent facilities, lots of free extras, plenty of space, perfect location between the station and the old town, very friendly.
Dill