Indy Hostel, Indianapolis

8.2

your hostels in Indianapolis

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Indy Hostel rated on booking websites?

Indy Hostel Reviews

just stayed at the hostel for two nights and had an amazing time! The staff and owner were very friendly and went out of their way to answer questions and showed us fun places in town to check out for dinner. It was within 10-15 minutes walking distances of many bars, restaurants and a grocery store in an area of town called SoBro, which is short for south of Broad Ripple Street.

The hostel feels very homey and comfortable. It also has amazing artwork from local artists hanging in the common spaces. I did not get to experience the outdoor events, but on Fridays and/or Saturdays, the hostel hosts the "Hostel Takeover Series", which welcomes local musicians to use the hostel's outdoor and indoor spaces to perform. this is a highly recommend this hostel to anyone visiting the Indianapolis area. The hostel is very affordable and is a great way to meet new people and experience the area.

opalbell
2016-07-14

Very unprofessional and unreliable service

I was looking for a place to accommodate my sister and her husband who are coming to Indy in May. I read very good reviews about Indy Hostel and I decided to visit the place. Everything looked good and I decided to make a reservation. I paid the 20% deposit to confirm and hold my reservation. After 2 days I got a call from them. They told me that they couldn't honor part of my reservation (three days) because they have a big group coming on May and they are going to need all of their rooms. I was astonished. As an excuse they told me that they are a "small business" and they can't turn down an occasion like that. I told them that this behavior is very unprofessional and their service is totally unreliable. Obviously, I asked to be refunded. After that call they contacted me again to offer an accommodation at their other location "a bit further north than Broad Ripple". I looked on the map to find that this location is in another city (Fishers), 15 miles away! Do they think I'm stupid? No, thanks. I'll take my business elsewhere.

Giorgio
2015-03-11
Age 30 | Italy

Great Place, Good Prices, Comfortable

This is a great hostel. I have stayed here twice. The first time I stayed with a girlfriend. We had a private room with private bath. The bed was comfortable, the bath clean. We felt safe. The second time I stayed my husband and I camped in the hostel's backyard. It was comfortable, great price and a huge bonus to have access to the common areas of the hostel. The inside of the hostel is painted brightly -- it feels welcoming. The kitchen is great -- loads of utensils and cookware plus 2 refrigerators. There is great wi-fi, plenty of maps and suggestions for things to do in the area. Two lovely common areas besides the kitchen, furnished with amazingly comfortable couches and chairs, a large screen tv, and a serious sound system, and a deck with cool chairs for hanging outside. There is ample parking, accessible bus routes, and super close access to the popular monon trail. The owner is very friendly as are all the staff I encountered both times. I would recommend this hostel as a GREAT first hostel experience or as a 'second try' for those of us who have had less than stellar hostel experiences. This one is great.

Melanie
2010-05-26

This is my Indiana home away from home!

I absolutely love this house! Cozy and good vibes. I always stay here if I am in Indianapolis. My hero Kurt Vonnegut -- in whose old neighborhood this grand old hostel is located -- would definitely approve!

Robin
2009-01-20
U.S.

Very cosy and nice!

Well, I have been to Chicago, New York and Los Angeles hostels before, as well as in other hostels around the globe, but this one is amazing! I felt being at home, not less! It's undeniably very neat and everything works fine. It has free Internet access, the TV is big, the kitchen is equipped with all modern conveniences. The beds are comfortable, every room has its unique colour. Well, it's not a typical hostel, it's more like a big house with a very hospitable owner. I wish all the hostels were like this one. Besides, there are not too many visitors, and those who stay there make up one big family!

Elya
2008-09-18
Kazakhstan

I stayed in a private room. The entire hostel is very new and super clean. The owner is very friendly and helpful. There is a TV downstairs. All the guests seemed nice and my room was pretty large with toilet and a shower. The only downside is that my room didn't have a door lock and I paid around $50 -- you can find a cheap motel all for yourself with that price.

Jonathan
2007-05-22

This is a great place. It's clean, tidy and friendly. The host is very helpful and makes you feel very much at home. It is also convenient for all you need. If you visit Indianapolis don't stay anywhere else.

Graham Parr (England)
2004-10-13

This place is a real gem in the heart of Indianapolis. The host is great - really accommodating and helpful in pointing out great places to go. The place is huge, with a lot of great amenities, and the house is full of fun colours and things to do. It's close to the hot spots of Broad Ripple, and is just a great place to stay while you're here. I'd come back again to this little gem in the Midwest!

J Kentner (Canada)
2004-08-06

Indy Hostel Reviews from the Web

I really enjoyed this space. I felt safe due to the area and by needing a code to ender the house, however there is nowhere to securely lock up your bags so I can see that being an issue for people. As stated in other reviews no staff is ever present but I didn't mind as it's clearly instructed on how to check in and find your room (among other rules/suggestions). I found the house to be very clean and cozy, there were only me and a couple others staying at the time.

melodyozdyck4116
2021-10-29

I came for a quick overnight trip. The location is great. It's in a quiet neighborhood but close to cool stuff to do in Broad Ripple. The common areas have great decorations. I love the reading nook! The bed was very comfortable and i appreciated the AC window unit. The only drawbacks- there are no lockers for a guest to secure their things. Also, the upstairs bathroom looked like it had not been cleaned in some time and there was no soap in the dispenser. Otherwise, a nice place to stay!

mmlinehan9180
2021-09-26

There was no staff.

There were no towels in not even paper towels in bathroom.

Room was not clean.

No locks on doors.

No security.

No one was there except other guests. You couldn't pay me to stay there again.

laurelsarett5778
2021-09-09

I loved the homely ambience. The common spaces below are beautifully decorated with artworks and I appreciated the large kitchen space for bringing in food. As a solo traveller, the surroundings felt safe and the close proximity to the bus stop was nice for going around the city.

rheaguha
2021-07-18

The facility and location are pretty good. The only issue I have is that the shared male dorm is in the basement, which is unsafe for a myriad of reasons. Meanwhile, the shared female dorm is located on the second floor (one floor above the main/first floor). The basement area should be used for laundry or converted into a game room but not used for lodging and sleeping; too many things could go wrong (gas leak, flooding, moss/fungus inhalation, fire, etc. w/ no windows for adequate ventilation)

derricklgrace89
2021-04-23

A nice place, but in the middle of nowhere!! You need a vehicle to go anywhere at this location.

There is a bus stop near by but the service is VERY SKETCHY! As I found out the hard way...

Safe travels everyone!

sfoellmi6492
2021-04-07

This was my second hostel ever staying in and it lived up to its ratings. The atmosphere was very homey. I didnt see any staff. However, the self check-in instructions made everything very easy.

Klovett2012
2020-02-16

Indy Hostel was a perfect waypoint in a long roadtrip, and I can imagine it also being a pleasant place to settle in for a longer stay. I actually didn't meet any staff during my stay - I was sent self check-in instructions before arrival which made for a hassle-free late night arrival. The hostel is in a large historic house in a quiet neighborhood just a few minutes off the highway; Foundation Coffee nearby was delicious. Cozy, clean, super comfy and large beds - what's not to love!

aszingarelli8
2020-02-04

Staff very nice and kind. Felt like home. Gibson rocks! The place is very nice too. It's very clean and offers lots of services. They even have a map of main attractions around the hostel. I greatly recommend it.

Kevin Thomas
2009-08-25

This hostel is nice for international travellers, but I didn't like that everything was open. It means, there is a house, the owner lives in the first floor and there are rooms in the basement they rent... There is also another house with a nice kitchen. If you have a room there, you have luck! When we were there, they did a lot of works and only our room was for living. The room was quiet small, only with a double bed. The bathroom was really dirty and the shower doesn't work good. There are black cats. We didn't like them, but they were everywhere... in the bathroom, in the our room (we close the door, but there is no key), under our bed and IN our bed!!! :-(

When I saw the hostel online, I imagine something different.

2009-07-08

Staff were friendly. 10min walk from Broadripple - lots of bars/clubs and restaurants. Bathrooms were nice and clean, and everywhere else was general well kept.

2009-06-02

Warm and relaxing. Like the email/internet access setup.

2009-04-17

Nice hostel and nice staff. We stay only one night but if we have to come back in Indianpolis, we'll come back at the Indy Hostel

Cyril VAN DE CASTEELE
2008-10-11

Hostel was AWESOME! It is huge, with loads of kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms! Very clean and staff was very helpful! Great value for money!!!

2008-09-05

quiet, clean, friendly, new, good location next to trendy going out area (however it is a 20 minute bus ride from down town)

James Smith
2008-06-19

Friendly manager. Not too far from Broad Ripple - a great place to party

2008-05-27

Nice Place, a little bit off town. Some bars around. A good place to stay in Indianapolis.

2008-05-18

Friendly and helpful staff. Close to downtown. Well-maintained.

2008-05-07

It was slow season when we stayed so there weren't a lot of guests but the common areas were perfect for hanging out. Lockers would have been nice for added security though we didn't feel it was really necessary! Great place!

Chika Sato
2008-03-04

The community at the hostel was the best we could get concerning F1

2006-07-04

Just minutes from the hottest night spots in Indianapolis, the newly renovated Indy Hostel is the perfect place to relax and meet some interesting fellow travelers. Relax in our lounge or prepare a meal in the kitchen, you can start your new day with a cup of coffee in the sunroom, or on the patio deck.

Our dorm rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. If you prefer more privacy, you can reserve a suite with your own bathroom.

Whatever your tastes are, there is always something happening at the Indy Hostel that is sure to satisfy your appetite for fun and entertainment. We are centrally located right next to a bicycle/hiking trail that stretches for 16 miles from downtown Indianapolis through the cultural area of Broad Ripple, and beyond.

Don't miss one of the most unique and exciting ways to experience our beautiful city and its wonderful people.

NOTE: Our Single Private Suite sleeps up to four guests. Due to special pricing, it can only be booked for a single guest on this website. The second person stays free, and rollaway beds are available for 2 additional guests at $10.00 each upon arrival.

The Indy Hostel has a standard 72-hour cancellation policy.

• The IndyGO citywide bus line stops just 3 blocks West of the Indy Hostel, at 49th & College, every half hour from approximately 5:30 AM until Midnight.
• If you are driving, you can take 38th Street from either the East or West side of Indianapolis to College Avenue, go North to 49th Street, turn right and go three blocks to the N.E. corner of 49th and Winthrop.
• From the North or South side of the city, take College Avenue to 49th Street and go east three blocks to the N.E. corner of 49th and Winthrop.
• Airport Pickups and Downtown pick ups available. Email for Details.
• Please call or e-mail if you have any further need for arrival instructions.

Address: 4903 Winthrop Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Indy Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 10

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Reception Hours: 10am-10pm

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)

Rate Indy Hostel

Find all cheap places to stay in Indianapolis