Global Village Travellers Lodge, Greymouth

9.3

Global Village Travellers Lodge is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is Global Village Travellers Lodge rated on booking websites?

Global Village Travellers Lodge Reviews

A wonderful place to stay with very nice and friendly hosts

We stayed in this Hostel more than 2 Weeks with breaks. Very friendly Hosts Simon, Russel and Yuri. Always friendly, you get very good information from them and you have the feeling, you are arrived at home. A quite Place, always clean cosy and really nice. We know a lot of Hostels and we think this is one from the best 10 Hostels from New Zealand. The nice special equipment from the rooms are wonderful in African Style. Never before we found so perfect Kitchen Facilities. All what you need and much more. What ever, If we stay again in Greymouth we hope any room is free for us in the Global Village.

Klaus and Corinne
2012-12-30
German and Switzerland

Global Village Backpackers is in Greymouth, on the west coast in the South Island of New Zealand. It is all clean and welcoming, with an African-style decoration, and is part of the BBH hostels, so you can have a discount if you are a member.

Global Village Backpackers is a bit south for the town center, but it's only ten minutes' walk, and also within walking distance to a supermarket and the beach. There is a carpark next to the entrance, or along the street.

The rooms have six bunks and beds. They are clean and spacious, with hangers and shelves. There are no boxes or lockers, though. Some rooms even have a space with table and chairs, and a small balcony. There are only two floors, so not many rooms. There are single and double rooms as well, if you prefer more privacy. All the rooms are decorated in the backpacker style, with some in the African style, with pictures, paintings, and masks -- it is all colorful and welcoming.

The bathrooms are clean and the showers have a space to get changed and a curtain to keep your hanging clothes dry. There is soap and a towel near the sinks, and a hair dryer in the female bathroom.

There is a big lounge, next to the reception, with sofas, tables, and a wood fire for the cold winters. A big shelf is full of books and magazines you can borrow, with different themes but mostly consisting of travel, nature, landscapes, and New Zealand. The decoration is all African style, with more paintings and masks. In this room, you will find two computers with for-pay internet access.

There is a veranda as well with table and seats. And the TV room is separated, so that you are not disturbed by the potential noise. The kitchen is fully equipped with many gas and electric cookers, two ovens, two fridges, four sinks, and a boiling water station. So you will be able to cook even if there are many people around. Salt, pepper, and spices are provided. There are heaps of storage boxes for your food, each with a different country name. You can buy milk at the reception and eggs next to the kitchen with an honesty box.

Summary

Overall, Global Village Backpackers is really welcoming. Everything is clean and well thought out, even for short stays (salt, pepper, spices, eggs and milk, hair dryer, soap and hand towel are all available). It could look a bit expensive, but usually you don't stay that long in the area, so this backpacker is perfect for a night or two to rest. But on another hand, a long stay would be really pleasant there.

Cleopatra
2012-07-05
France

One of the best hostels in NZ!

We were lucky that we stopped by, cause there is not much to see around this place (at least for us). But we were on our way to the Pancake rocks and stopped at this beautiful, friendly place for just one night. Unfortunately it was raining, when we were there, but we felt so comfortable that we didn't care at all. The guy at the reception is very friendly and helpful and the rooms are decorated by heart. Everything is very clean and smart (sockets at every bed), also the bathroom and kitchen, very well equipped. All in all, one of the best hostels in NZ and we have been to many. Definitely would come back some time!!! Here you feel like at home, not like in a hostel!!

Nives
2012-05-09
Austria

Best Hostel ever!!!

This is the most beautiful hostel we have ever stayed in. I have seen hotels that dont even come close in comparison. We stayed for one week but we could have stayed for months. They have great clean rooms with cozy linens and decorated art from around the world. A large kitchen for cooking, clean bathrooms, a movie room with at least 100 different selections and a super cozy lounge area. They also have a great fire pit where we spent many a nights playing music and socializing. We took full advantage of the free kayaks and bikes. Simon, the manager is a great fellow with loads of recommendations of things to do in the area. (if you have a car ask him to take you to the moonlight to pan for Gold, if you're lucky he'll even take you cliff jumping, but dont forget to thank him with a meal or a nice glass of wine) Russel and Yuri, the owners are a great couple who have put so much love into this place, and it truly shows. its literally oozing out of every corner. If you have time to stay for a couple of days then do it its the perfect place to relax and recuperate for the on the go backpacker. We've made such great friends here. I am so in love and so grateful! A truly unique place with great people! We will be back for sure!!

Aanjes and Hollis
2010-11-28

Great

Friendly people; good layout with numerous social spaces; clean, fresh double room. unfortunately not central as stated but about twenty minutes' walk to the town, but we did get a free lift from the owner for the train the next day. all i can say is it's a shame it's in Greymouth, which has nothing to do at all!

Sal
2009-01-02
UK

Great place, we loved it

the only problem that we had were that the loos were quite a way from our room, not good when you are getting on, or have had a few.

wendy and frank
2008-04-10
england

Will never go back

I booked this hostel two weeks in advance. Imagine my surprise to arrive and find I had been given the worst room in the whole place. No introduction by the man who took my money, just "your key should be in your door and the room is down that corridor, up there is the kitchen and bathrooms." Terribly unfriendly! At check-in I forgot to ask for a towel. So later that night, when I was doing my teeth, I went to reception to ask. The guy just about rolled his eyes at me! I was clearly being a terrible nuisance by daring to ask for one. Then the next day I see fresh towels in other rooms that were ready for that day's check-ins. I couldn't believe my room. To get in the door you have to climb a step that's knee-high, then once inside the door you have to climb a further four steps and then squeeze past one of the two beds. Yes, that's right -- the beds are on a different level than the bottom of the door, and to enable the door to open, there is actually a large gap in the floor between the beds. Woe betide anyone who needs to go to the toilet in the middle of the night! The room itself was so small I was glad I was on my own -- I'd hate to have shared it with someone else. There was essentially nowhere in the room to put suitcases/bags, partly on account of the hole between the beds but also because it was so damn small. Another thing I didn't like about this place was the constant rules posted everywhere. Makes you feel like you're in kindergarten all over again. (Plastic wineglasses added to this feeling) One of my "favourites" in the kitchen says that for "safety reasons" there is to be no cooking after 10:30 at night. I say what? I wasn't aware that cooking after 10:30 was inherently less safe than at other times! Talking of signs, one extra in the kitchen would be welcome, warning people that the simmerstat on at least one of the stovetop elements doesn't work. I nearly ruined my fish on two separate occasions. I kept turning the heat down, but it made no difference and it was only by sheer luck that I noticed the fish was nearly burning. So simple to let people know about things like this. This place was also the only place I have ever stayed that expects people to strip the linen off their beds and put it outside their rooms. At places that I enjoy staying, I do this, but I think it's a bit rude to expect people to do it. I have to say that it seems this place isn't adequately staffed when it's fully booked. I was there for six nights (having pre-booked) and they ran out of toilet paper in most of the ladies' toilets twice during that time. Reception closed for the day at 9 p.m. so nothing we could do about it until morning. The hand towels in the bathroom get wet way before they've been up for only twelve hours, and they only get changed once a day. There are two sinks in the kitchen, but one or other container of dishwashing liquid was often empty. With a busy kitchen (the place sleeps mid-fifties apparently) this is a real nuisance. And it's so easy to make sure these sorts of things don't happen -- if you have enough staff, that is. The place also ran out of hot water one morning. On the plus side, yes this place is beautifully decorated. But I'd rather have friendly staff (like at every other backpacker's I've stayed in) and amenities appropriate to the number of people staying there. If I want a place that looks wonderful I'll go to a five-star hotel. Also note that Cowper Street gets quite a bit of traffic -- "beside a river" does not mean quiet! Also Global Village is about a thirty-minute walk from the train station and they refuse to do pickups (see their website). They have computers available twenty-four hours a day, which is very convenient, but they're metered ($2 for twenty-five minutes) and in my experience always require restarting before they will recognise your camera card or your CD. So you get to pay while their computer shuts down and restarts. But the real reason that I will never go back there is that they actually took some of my food and the male owner didn't even have the decency to apologise properly. I had followed all of the instructions posted on the fridge for labeling my food; I have worked in holiday accommodation and know what a pain it is when people leave food behind. Forty-eight hours before I was due to check out, the staff took my dry goods out of the bin they had been in for four days in the kitchen and put them in the fridge (what the hell?). They then went through the bag of food I had in the fridge and took some of it -- one bread roll and some cheese. The official story is that they fed this to their chickens -- but if this is true then why were some pieces of capsicum and another piece of cheese left behind? The staff member who had done this was terribly apologetic and I don't have a problem with her. They also gave me $5 to replace the food that was taken. But the attitude of the male owner was just terrible. It was basically Well we've apologised, what more do you want? (in a very brusque tone of voice that really let me know just how sorry he wasn't) I simply wanted him to accept that something had gone very wrong when a customer follows all their instructions and ends up with food going missing. Like I say, I have worked in holiday accommodation and I know exactly what happens to food that is left behind when people leave -- we called it "fair game" and it was first in, best fed. In all fairness I can't give this place the lowest possible rating, but I will certainly never go back there.

KiwiSkier
2008-03-24
New Zealand

Top rate

Really enjoyed the whole stay. Friendly staff, lots of help planning activities. Amazing decor and the furniture was so comfy -- loved the hot water bottles!

There are bikes and canoes available free.

zanna
2007-08-20
nz

Address: 42-54 Cowper Street, Greymouth, New Zealand

Global Village Travellers Lodge is listed on the following booking sites:

Website Global Village Travellers Lodge Greymouth www.globalvillagebackpackers.co.nz
Phone Number: (03)768-7272