Chameleon Backpackers & Guesthouse

The Hostelz.com Review

Chameleon Backpackers is arguably the best hostel in Windhoek, Namibia.

Chameleon Backpackers is situated along Windhoek’s main road, only a few minutes walking from the city centre. Once you enter the property it will feel like you have entered a mini village with several buildings. From Chameleon Backpackers it will take approximately ten minutes to get to a mall with supermarkets and many other shops. Some other shops, restaurants, and clubs are only five minutes walking from the hostel. The long distance bus station is 20 to 30 minutes walking, but shared taxis can bring you to the hostel for a very cheap price. If you happen to have your own transport you can use the secured parking on the hostel’s property.

Bookings

Chameleon Backpackers is not only a good hostel, it is also a popular hostel. The hostel does not offer rooms on the major booking sites throughout the year. If you do not see any availability on hostelz.com, you might as well try the hostel’s own website. However, the bookings system on the hostel’s website is a mess and frequently guests do not receive their booking confirmation, even though their booking got through. Just double check with the hostel if you don’t see any confirmation in your mailbox.

Chameleon Backpackers offers both dorms and private rooms. Camping is also possible in the hostel’s garden. The rooms are spacious. Dorms differ in size, but are all ensuite. Additional bathrooms are available outside the dorms. The lockers are also very spacious and even big bags can be stored in the lockers. All rooms are animal themed. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are cleaned daily.

Chameleon Backpackers has a very nice common area. There’s a nice but small pool with seats around, a bar that is open from 7 am till 10 pm, and an outdoor seating area under a roof. This is all within a small area, which makes the common area cosy. You can also order some sandwiches and crisps at the bar. You can also sign up for dinner for a fee. Every Friday there is a fun quiz night, which is free of charge. In addition there is an indoor seating area with couches and a TV and a kitchen. A free buffet-style breakfast is served every morning. Free coffee and tea is available throughout the day. Wi-Fi is available in all areas in the hostel and is high speed. However, the connection points are limited, so if you have just arrived you may not have internet straight away. Chameleon has also a safari office within the building. Here you can book tours or get information about other places in Namibia and Southern Africa.

Summary

Chameleon Backpackers is a great and social hostel in Windhoek, Namibia. It is well located, with good facilities, and has a good vibe.
by Martin Straatman
2017-05-04

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Chameleon Backpackers & Guesthouse" at 5-7 Voight Street.)

5-7 Voight Street, Windhoek, Namibia
-22.574152, 17.081509 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.chameleonbackpackers.com
+264 (0) 61 24 4347
+264 (0) 61 220885

How is Chameleon Backpackers & Guesthouse rated on other websites?

Two months ago, my three female friends and I visited the Chameleon hostel. First of all, one of the two staff members touched my friend's butt twice. Accordingly, two male older guests started shouting at us that they wanted to take us out to dance, and bring us to NYC. Moreover, a mentally disturbed drunk guy was disturbing the hostel. He was shouting at guests, and the staff members told him to leave but didn't do anything. In the end, this disturbed guest started shouting about grabbing my friend in the ass. We obviously refused to stay in this hostel, also because the dorms were mixed, something that was not announced on the website. We simply felt unsafe as four young women, staying in this extremely female unfriendly hostel. We asked for a money refund as we'd already paid for three nights. We were happy to be informed that the manager was willing to talk to us the next day. She watched the video tapes that were recorded in the room where my friend was touched by one of the staff members. Unfortunately, she denied to have seen something of this event on the video. Instead, she suggested that my friend misinterpreted the situation. In the end, we got our money back for the last two nights but not for the first night. Briefly stated, this was by far our worst hostel experience ever. I would like to recommend to all female visitors of Windhoek to never sleep in this hostel.
Age 21, Holland
2017-02-14

A safe guesthouse
Loved staying here, felt safe, you can arrange your safari's here as well. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Couldn't book my accommodation online because my credit card were copied in Kaapstad, but could do my booking anyway. Free pickup from the bus station. Free simple breakfast. Nice guesthouse to meet other travelers.
anonymous
2017-01-17

Watch your stuff
I stayed there for 3 nights in July 2011. The rooms were small, dark and cold. The girl who sold mobile minutes was rude, and someone went into the room while I was gone and stole my credit card information. $300 was charged and $7000 (yes, US dollars) was charged to my roommate's card. Watch your stuff when you're there. Good luck.
Urs
(Poland)
2011-12-01
  After a 20-hour journey from hell, we arrived at 5 a.m. What a nice surprise to be so warmly welcomed. There were no beds available but the lovely lady just let us in and let us chill on the couches. She threw a video on and we fell asleep — for three guys fresh out of the tropics it was like going home to see mum!! Everything about this hostel was excellent.
Johnny Boy
2005-03-30
  This place has a very good, friendly atmosphere. The staff greet the guests, and are helpful. But the problem I observed is how the staff are paid. They work very hard but are poorly paid. I think something must be done.
2004-11-08
  This is a great place to hire a car for cheap. This hostel has super friendly and helpful hosts, and they have a couple of "meerkats," which are really cool ground hog-type animals. Thanks again.
R-man
2004-11-06
  Brilliant place, I liked the tropical haven atmosphere. Even though the place always seemed to be full of people of all ages, I could always find quiet places when necessary. Being in the city centre made it easy to get supplies or go out. Funky bar and pool area, but I would advise to book ahead as the place seems extremely popular.
Rea Astro