Caboose Kitchen
Caboose Dorm Rooms
Caboose Dining
Samson the hostel dog
Free Canoeing

HI - Shuswap Lake - Squilax General Store & Hostel, Squilax (edit listing)

Digital Nomads Family-Friendly Hostel Quiet Rest Solo Traveller

Address: 229 Trans Canada Highway, Squilax, British Columbia, Canada

Coordinates: 50.872660, -119.574595 (accuracy not guaranteed)

HI - Shuswap Lake - Squilax General Store & Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld Not listed at Hostelworld Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub Not listed at HostelsClub
Phone Number: +1 (250) 675-2977

DIRTY, STINKY, RUDE

The hostel was really dirty and the bedding stunk like pee. We wrapped our winter jackets around the pillows but wasn't able to fall asleep at all, so we slept in full clothing wrapping our jacket hoods over our heads. I have backpacked in a lot of remote locations including Nepal and this is definitely in my bottom 3 most disgusting hostel experiences. In addition, we were trying to return our room key and get our deposit back in the morning when both owners were up and one was in the office. The office doesn't technically open until 8am but we saw that both of them were up and we thought we'd ask if we can get our deposit back. We thought we asked an innocent question but the male owner was rude and practically yelled at my girlfriend. Try to avoid if you have any other options.

unsatisfied

Age 32, Canada
2013-08-31

Blair, You are a wonderful welcoming lady who couldn't have been nicer

Our stay was a unique experience that made the trip to Canada a real treat for our friends from England! This is a difficult place to find as it is in a tiny place and if you blink, you'd miss it, but it is well worth the stop! We were patiently guided along the road with the assistance of the owner. We were greeted with warm hospitality, then had the pleasure of sleeping in a train car after enjoying a campfire visiting with other guests. We woke to a terrific breakfast of homemade fruit pancakes with maple syrup and good coffee, after a plentiful hot shower for all. We had a lovely visit with Blair, the owner. I highly recommend this place if you don't mind "rustic accommodation".

Nancy

Age 57, Canada
2013-07-25

Dirtiest hostel I've seen.

I've only stayed in hostels in snow board towns prior but I've never seen a hostel that was dirty. There was a mouse in our train car, bathrooms were clean but general cleanliness not so much. The bedding they gave me reeked! Like b.o. But is actually that sour moldy smell towels get when you leave them in the washer for a day, but 10 times worse and therefore prob multiple days. Or it truly was b.o. So gross. I even febreezed the sheets so that I could at least sleep and that didn't cut the smell. So gross, had my travel companion not disagreed with me on checking out I wouldn't have stayed at all. Like I said train car or not I've never seen a hostel so dirty. oh and when I pulled pans out of the cupboard to use there was mouse sh*t in them. Gross.

Lys

Age 29
2013-07-17

Been there, done that, can't wait to go back again!

This is a great place to stay -- it's so unique we (all 8 of us) just loved it. Blair was wonderful, helpful and accommodating! We have other options -- but we all decided we wanted to go back "to that cool hostel" again!

C. Bird

(Canada)
2013-03-03

Only if you want a unique experience.

Stayed here for one night on the drive from Vancouver to Banff and its the obvious place to stay. Good points, cheap, great location, no light interference so an amazing place for star gazing (not seen the milky way this good since NZ 2 years ago), Nice hot showers, truly brilliant pancake breakfast with coffee for only $4.50, loads of animals (if you like them), fantastic sitting with all the guests outside in the morning chatting, fire pit, sense of isolation even though you are right on the Highway. Bad points, Blair, the owner, is really blunt to the point of being rude, they dont make beds or provide towels (and she rams this information down your throat), cold rooms, poor bedding, no outside lighting so bring a torch, it is dirty and does look like the kind of place Leatherface would spend his bank holidays. The place is also badly advertised on route and just appears suddenly out of the darkness. We were almost hit by a following lorry when we had to break suddenly to turn in. My advice, when leaving Kamloops drive for 65km and then keep your eyes open. Overall this place is rustic, weird, quirky and cheap. If you like that sort of thing then you will be fine. If you expect your usual 5* HI hostel then you wont like this place. If you expect the Hilton you will be disappointed. If you expect something unusual and dont mind roughing it you will be fine.

Andrew

(Scotland)
2012-09-27

A unique experience which was even better the second time!

As an older couple, we used a private room indoors, cooked ourselves a meal in the kitchen while sharing great conversations. Very comfortable, with a charming hostess who cooked fantastic pancakes for breakfast. Scenically, it would be hard to beat. Samsonite made us feel very welcome too!

John

(Australia)
2012-07-27

Rustic but sufficient

I originally registered to sleep in the female "dorm" which is an old caboose, but the old oil smell was a bit much for me. I also wasn't aware of the lack of privacy and very small cooking facility, but again I have never hosteled before. I ended up camping out of my van (which I had been prepared to do anyway) and found the communal bathrooms clean and adequate, the communal cooking are sufficient, and the grounds to be rustic, but decent. My only complaint is there isn't any outdoor lighting and the footing is very uneven. Bring a flashlight and boots as the grass was quite long and there were rocks and stepping stones in random places. I will be returning again.

Leslie

(Canada)
2012-06-26

Truly unique hosteling experience.

This hostel was incredible because it was SO different. I was only there for one night passing through but once I got there I wish I could have stayed at least another night. The dorms are train cars/cabooses and they're kind of funky. The animals form part of the experience and the setting is just beautiful. We sat on the wharf and watched the sun set over the water -- be prepared for mozzies -- then sat around the campfire to all hours of the night. I imagine there are also some beautiful walks around. Sure it is probably not the cleanest place that I have stayed but it certainly wasnt dirty and that was all part of the wilderness/bohemian experience. I can't recommend staying here highly enough, it was such a fabulous experience and was a highlight of my trip.

Melissa

(Australia)
2011-07-27

How is HI - Shuswap Lake - Squilax General Store & Hostel rated on booking websites?

Rate HI - Shuswap Lake - Squilax General Store & Hostel

Digital Nomads

Family-Friendly Hostel

Quiet Rest

Bike Rental

Safe Deposit Box

Breakfast (5.00)

#

Wi-Fi in Lobby/Commons (3.00 per day)

#

Wi-Fi in Rooms (3.00 per day)

Outdoor Seating

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): All Ages

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Open Dates: Closed in Winter

Reception Hours: 5pm to 10pm daily: Spring, Summer and Fall

#

Size: Small (less than 30 beds)