Glenwood Springs Hostel, Glenwood Springs

8.4

your hostels in Glenwood Springs

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

How is Glenwood Springs Hostel rated on booking websites?

Glenwood Springs Hostel Reviews

The hostel was ok, a bit overpriced for a bunk in men's dorm. Friendly staff, A bit too much Pot Smoking and Drinking. Glenwood is a fun and quirky town with an underlying transient population. All in all. A good experience, Except for the guy who decided too masturbate in the bunk above me one night.

2015-11-14
Age 32 | USA

DO NOT STAY HERE!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOSTEL!!! This place is horrible! It does not even deserve one star. Upon arrival the owner tried to overcharge me and when I asked her why it was $30 too much she quickly typed the numbers into her calculator again and stated the same amount. I'm not a math wiz, but I know that $30/night X 4 nights is not $153, it is $120. Bad first impression. She blamed her calculator for the mistake. I should have left at that moment. She brought me to my "private" room which was basically a closet below the stairwell with just enough room for a bed. The light was dim and the placed smelled horrible. The back house kitchen was disgusting with dirty dishes, trash all over the place, and rotten food in the fridge. Their was two drunk transients sitting on the couches in the front house who asked if I had a "bowl." Most of the people I met there where actually living there. IT IS BASICALLY A MIX BETWEEN A HALFWAY HOUSE AND A HOMELESS SHELTER. They say they have "quiet" hours starting at 10pm but there was two other drunk guys out in the common area playing music and talking loudly until 1am. I called management with no answer and when I talked to her in the morning she said "sorry about that, I was totally passed out last night." The room under the stairs (#5) is a bad place to be as you can hear people going up and down the stairs all night long. Seriously people going in and out at 130, 230, 330 ... all night! I was able to change rooms the second night to a room upstairs, but just as noisy as it was next to the stairwell. Needless to say, this place is not worth the money you will save, stay at a hotel or camp because this place should be condemned.

Joe
2013-02-13

Awsome!!!!

Wonderful little place. Real home feeling. The owner is great and makes it really easy to feel welcomed. Can't wait to come back next year.

Everett
2013-01-28

Excellent!!!

I stayed there from early june 2012, to the end of august, i really enjoyed my stay, the owners and staff were very nice and very professional, the kitchen and the areas to relax were very nice. i was fortunate to make some great friendships while i was there. i wish these owners the very best, they are aces as i have said, the transit service is excellent to go where one needs to travel to in the surrounding areas.

ron hafer
2012-10-20
usa

The Glenwood Springs Hostel is kind of a silly place, with lots of traffic going through it toward Aspen, but carrying very little discernible melody of its own.

Located right on the main drag, Glenwood Springs Hostel is about as gritty as they come. It's a musky, dark little spot, and is in dire need of restoration. It's difficult to just call it dirty, especially when it has so much character -- but looking down at the floor as we write this, we're alarmed to notice that the carpet is in dire need of a manicure.

It's cheaper than any of the hotel offerings in town, is within walking distance of everything you could need, and it's always full of interesting and often unusual travelers.

We stayed here last year on a ski trip, and our "private room" was so small (and the accompanying bunk bed so narrow) that we had to get blackout drunk to sleep there. We lucked out on this year's trip, with a private room on the ground floor of the "back house" (there is a main house, and a separate one just behind it.) We prefer the back house scenario -- it has its very own kitchen, which is stocked with amenities (including a significant amount of garbage and recycling that no one seems to take out), and also a small sitting area (did we mention this place is dirty?). In the other building, there is an upstairs bunkhouse, which is probably best described as "like feet." It's crowded, the bunks are old, metal-frame children's furniture, and it's best left to the birds. Ask to see your room before you book at this hostel to see if it meets your expectations of "sleeping" and "not dying."

The bathroom in the back house is particularly gross, with no evidence of recent cleaning whatsoever. The same is apparent in the shower stall, which needs an powerful stream of bleach pouring from its spout instead of water, at the moment. It's wish-we-brought-flip-flops nasty.

The main house is also equipped with a kitchen, laundry, common area (replete with an enormous collection of record albums, but with no record player immediately apparent), a guest's access computer, and loads of charming, if not musty, memorabilia.

Summary

We slam Glenwood Springs pretty regularly, and always arrive at this hostel with a unique sense of dread. With that in mind, we do keep staying here year after year -- so that probably carries more weight than our lack of enthusiasm for it. Both experiences with the staff here have been very pleasant -- with this year's host, Sara, being particularly nice, showing us around and offering us options on rooms -- so if Glenwood Springs Hostel could clean the place up and renovate the rooms, it would be up to par with the rest of the hostel scene in Colorado instead of lagging sorely behind.

Kent Wilhelmi
2012-02-22
United States

Pretty Good

Paid $25 for a small private room. House and kitchen were very clean. Bathroom situation was a mad dash, in the morning. Good location, near Amtrak. Bus stop to Aspen at corner. Dorms looked very tight and crowded. Management seemed friendly. Drinking and smoking tolerated on the front porch.

Deepak
2010-08-03
Pakistan

I love the, hostel, the town, and the people.

Glenwood has a prime spot for a hostel. I would not know of a better place to go for a vacation, after visiting there numerous times, and the hostel is tops for everything you could want in a hostel! Especially I enjoyed getting to meet the owner.

2010-02-22

Perfect

Good Location, Friendly Staff, walking distance to everything in town, what more do you need? Gary was a perfect host and John was very nice also. I will visit again if I am ever in the area!

Deb Henry
2008-11-12

Halfway between Chicago and San Francisco along the Greyhound and Amtrak routes lies Glenwood Springs, a small lively community on the western slope of the Rockies, surrounded by 14,000 foot mountains.

The hostel is located right downtown in the old business section, close to many shops, restaurants, and old fashioned saloons. You can hike or bike out our door and adventure into the mountains, rivers, and virgin national forests.

Pay a visit the Glenwood Caverns, soak in the world's largest hot springs pool, or steam in the Vapor Caves, all year round. During the summer you can raft or kayak the mighty Colorado river and hike or bike many different easy, moderate or strenuous trails in almost any direction. You never need a car here. Staying at the hostel entitles you to discounts for rafting, mountain bike rental, and the Vapor Caves. And of course there's always the exciting night life of Aspen, right up the road.

In the winter, you can ski or snowboard at the four premier Aspen Ski Areas of Butter Milk, Highlands, Snowmass, and Aspen Mountain, or ski and board just outside of Glenwood Springs at the wonderful Sunlight Mountain Resort. With it's great runs, uncrowded slopes and a very good "I've never skiied or boarded program", Sunlight is the perfect place to try skiing or boarding for the first time. We have fantastic deals on lift tickets, equipment hire and lesson packages. There is a bus service to all the resorts, and Vail is about an hour away by car.

Staying at the hostel is a unique experience you won't forget - we have a 3,000 record collection, great 60's decor and a fun atmosphere. With private, couples, and dorm rooms, two full kitchens, lots of common areas, and a back yard for barbecues in the summer, we have something to suit everyone's needs. The back house is never closed so you always have access to a bathrooms, kitchen, and a lounge area.

The hostel itself is famous for attracting artists, athletes, and lovers of the wilderness. Please see our web-page, www.hostelcolorado.com or call us at 1-800-9-hostel if you're in the U.S. or 1-970-945-8545 between 4 and 9pm Mountain Time.

Address: 1021 Grand Avenue, Glenwood Springs, Colorado, USA

Glenwood Springs Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Not listed at Hostelworld

Website Glenwood Springs Hostel Glenwood Springs www.hostelcolorado.com
Phone Number: +1 (970) 945-8545;

Swimming Pool

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 10 AM & 4 PM - 10 PM (08:00-10:00 & 16:00-22:00)

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Glenwood Springs Hostel