Gecko Lodge, Darwin

7.1

Gecko Lodge is listed at the following booking sites:

It is the only way to book Gecko Lodge

How is Gecko Lodge rated on booking websites?

Gecko Lodge Reviews

Overall was very dirty, messy and shouldn't be allowed to be running.

I just arrived here this evening, walking 40 minutes from the greyhound bus terminal; as you can imagine I was tired and hot with all my luggage being told that it was only a ten minute walk by the guy at reception. I was quite upset when I arrived, but the man at the reception was very good about it and was saying sorry a lot. Then he took me up stairs and expected me to sleep in a top bunk. i complained again!! He then took me to another room with two men. I then went and made a coffee in the kitchen. what a disgrace. the microwave, the benches, the fridge -- filthy, just disgusting, the shower and bathroom same. the whole place was a shame and in disrepair. Not up to Oz standards at all. To top it off no shops or restaurants around. I took my bags and left.

2017-05-28
Age 50 | Australia

Sweet, but a bit too laid back

Great atmosphere. Dirty and tiny kitchen, dirty common areas, nice rooms. Ok toilets and showers.

Travelingfamily
2008-08-15
Sweden

Good

I have been in Gecko Lodge in 2000 and despite really the most horrible mattress I've ever slept (very very soft -- it's better to put the mattress on the floor), it's really cozy place with a nice pool with the TV opposite. and I wish one day I'll come back there!

Ala
2007-07-13
Czech

I stayed in the house next door and it was disgusting, very dirty -- the worst mattress I've slept on during three months travelling in Oz. the water in one of the showers was ankle-high because it didn't drain. Yuck! The staff was very nice though and if you arrive late they organize your key and sheets and everything so you can get in. The breakfast pancakes are yummy too.

Mirjam
2006-08-03

I stayed at Gecko's several times, back in 2003 and 2004. Excellent place. A very good atmosphere! Real fresh filter coffee in the mornings with thin baked pancakes from the barbie. Good on ya mate! I stayed at several hostels durring my travels, but only a few of them I could call my home. Gecko Lodge is definitely my homeplace wen I get back to Darwin in 2007. People that complain about a fine hostel like this should go to a five-star hotel -- maybe that can live up to their expectations.

Tom Cok
2006-05-05

I was at the Gecko October 2005 and feel that the comments from 2004 do the current Gecko Lodge an injustice since it's now under new management and although it's not the most spick and span of hostels (but then I find the often immaculate nature of YHA type hostels too impersonal) it's better than some of the other comments suggest. Maybe I was lucky but when I was there I met some really great people and I found that Marcel, the owner, was always ready to help you out and was very relaxed. If you're sleeping in your van or car you can park in the large carpark area and for a reduced price have access to the facilities. Darwin's favourite backpacker mechanic also resides here along with a few other interesting characters!

j
2006-04-06

The pool at this lodge was refreshing in 500% humidity, and the free pancake breakfast (the pancakes were more like crepes) was very tasty. The best thing was the fact that they had cable TV with the big double bed/family room. When Darwin became unbearably humid and hot, a cool room with a TV was refreshing. The staff were decent, but the place was in a shambles. It needed a deep clean. We also had a gecko lizard friend that kept us company during the night.

Brett
2004-10-23

The worst hostel I have ever seen. This is linked to the Whoop Whoop Hostel next door, which is in a shocking state of disrepair to say the least. This place is an embarassment. The toilets are disgusting, kitchens didn't even have a toaster! Oven didn't work, the list is endless. Oh, and the (mis)management tried to rip me off. AVOID!!!

Chris and Laura
2004-08-08

Gecko Lodge is a family run hostel with a relaxed atmosphere, our tropical gardens and pool area are great to relax in and meet fellow travellers.
there is an on site travel desk to plan your tours and accommodation in advance.
A 10.00pm a noise curfew applies so as the busy traveller can sleep to enjoy their touring.

Address: 146 Mitchell Street, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia

Gecko Lodge is listed on the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Not listed at Booking.com Not listed at HostelsClub

Website Gecko Lodge Darwin www.geckolodge.com.au
Phone Number: +61 (8) 8981-2733, 1-800-677-599

Swimming Pool

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 15

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Open Dates: Seasonal Open/Closed Dates

Reception Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM (08:00-17:00) in the high season.

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Gecko Lodge