Harvest Trail Lodge, Loxton

4.8

your hostels in Loxton

Do you want to book your hostel online?

Check out Hostelworld.com

Harvest Trail Lodge Reviews

Great place to complete farm days!

Currently stopping at Harvest Trail lodge to complete my farm work and I am surprised at how easy I've found it to settle into farm life. The hostel owner and the farm work contractor have been amazing in helping my friend and I complete our farm work. We have had work everyday so far except bank holidays as expected. The work has been a mixture of piece rate and hourly pay. Although the piece rate work did seem unachievable originally, we've found that you do get what you put in. Ultimately the quicker/more effectively you work, the more money you can earn. The hostel owner is always on hand to answer any questions regarding farm work/hostel enquiries which is really helpful. There is also lots of help provided regarding gathering required/legal paperwork to apply for 2nd year visa which is something my friend and I knew very little about!

The hostel itself is basic but does contain everything needed for day to day life. The rooms are either double or 4 bed dorms which are usually kept to 2/3 people which is a bonus! Sheets/ blankets are provided along with air con and fridge freezer which proved very handy! There are 2 large kitchens with all types of utensils/amenities needed for cooking. It can be quite annoying when fellow backpackers do not clean up after themselves however I guess this is expected anywhere! There are plenty of toilets/bathrooms on both of the hostel floors which is very handy as a shower is definitely the 1st thing needed after a full day farming!! There is also a large balcony with a pool table and darts board which is the perfect place for all the backpackers to enjoy drinks/socialise on evenings. Loxton itself is a very small rural town however it does have everything needed within it. There's 2 food halls, bakeries, a pub, a club, laundrette, parks, bbq facilities, library, gym and places to eat. There's also a beautiful river reserve area which is the perfect place to spend evenings with friends. Overall I've been happy with farm life so far and glad I chose this place to complete my days! I've met some really great people and the experience so far has certainly been one to remember!! I would recommend anyone who wanted to complete their farm days and have a fun time to come to the Harvest Trail lodge.

Katie
2018-04-09
Age 24 | English

Ideal place to complete your farmwork for second year visa

I Completed my full 88 days visa work in Loxton and stayed at the Harvest Trail lodge for the whole trip.

Me and my friend arrived together and were placed in a four bed dorm which we had to ourselves for our whole stay. Which is what they try and do if they can. The room was a decent size and contained air conditioning and a fridge freezer. We were offered blankets and a heater. There is a large balcony which we spent most of the nights having drinks, there is a pool table, darts and then plenty of board games that we used. The two kitchens are quite big, both having fridges, microwaves and cookers and decent size tables. There was plenty of cutlery, thats if people returned them from their rooms after using them. In the kitchen downstairs there is a tv with lots of dvds, also quite a large book collection. The bathrooms were always clean, the showers were decent, there was sometimes a queue but that cant be helped if you all finish work at the same time. The laundry is across the road but they are big washers and dryers so you can get a decent load in and get your moneys worth. Every day we had work we were drove to and from the farms at no extra cost to us, we knew every day what we were working the following day and what time we had to be ready for.

You had the option of working as many days as you wanted a week, so if you wanted your days over and done with you can get them done here quickly. We had work pretty much all the time, apart from bank holidays when everyone was off. Depending on the type of work you get the piece rate is different, at first picking oranges was very hard so we didnt seem to make much but once you got the hang of things you got quicker, you filled more bins and then made more money, at the end of the day the harder you work the more you make! Grapes were paid by the bucket full so the same applies here, you get paid for what you work. It is hard work, some days are longer than others but everyone has fun with it, we even on the occasion got bought beer after a days work! There is a pub down the road that had nights when bands played, the town itself is small but it has a Woolworths, an IGA, a BWS and a few eating places, its also short walk to the river which is nice. The owner and contractor are such lovely people, they made everything so much easier and answered any questions we had straight away, everything for my visa was signed off without a hitch! And we met lots of people whilst we stayed here too, I would recommend completing your farm work here.

Emily
2018-04-09
Age 25 | English

Not Good

I wouldn't recommend coming here if you're a backpacker trying to do your farm days or a local Australian.

The hostel itself is disgusting, it doesn't get cleaned daily and at most twice a week, this is not reasonable for the number of people staying there and the fact it's a working hostel so everyone is always muddy. The showers stay dirty with hair and plasters being left for days on end. Also the showers upstairs literally dribble water out and it is impossible to shower leaving about 3 showers for the whole hostel to use. Even when the hostel does get cleaned it is done to the poorest standard, the kitchen table is so filthy I wiped it with a baby wipe and it was black afterwards and this was the day the cleaner had been in. There are also flies and mice in the kitchen. The facilities are also extremely poor, there is only one working oven, not enough utensils for everyone to use, no entertainment in the common area, no aircon in the kitchens and some of the rooms, no tvs in the room, no wifi and no washing facilities. For $135 a week this is completely unreasonable, as you are also expected to hoover and clean your own room and wash your own bedding (bearing in mind the only laundromat is about a ten minute walk from the hostel). Also the work is appalling, never pick oranges, they say you can pick a bin an hour, this is not true. The average it took myself and my male friend was 1.5 hours, meaning we ended up earning about $8 and hour and this went up to 2 hours when I was working with another girl. However, they do promise better jobs if you stick out the oranges, however this is not necessarily the case and it ends up being the person who complains the loudest about needing it that gets it. Also one of the local australian guys who has been there for about 3/4 months has worked the hardest out of everyone and still hasn't had a single hourly job. They also sent us out to do work and expected us to organise with the farmer whether the days would count towards our second year visa days which is just ridiculous. In the time I was there (7 weeks) about 17 people came and left. So please do not waste your time and money getting there.

Loxton itself is a lovely little town and the people are really kind and welcoming. However another worrying point is that one of our farmers confirmed what we heard about a rape occurring in the hostel and that the man is still working there. So please do not risk coming here.

2018-03-08

No heater, no aircon, cold showers, crap pay, disgusting and filthy

Loxton is a lovely little town by the Murray River -- but the Harvest Trail Lodge is a hell hole. The work is inconsistent illegal rates of pay. Long days of back-breaking work, for very little money. The living conditions are horrible -- bedbugs, spiders, mice, wasps. Rooms have disgusting carpet, torn curtains, airconditioning/heater will trip the power fuse for your room if you actually try to turn it on. No TV, no cupboards or lockers, fridge is cracked in smelly. Kitchens are a disgrace -- hobs broken and without knobs, ovens barely heat up, kettles and toasters also trip the fuses. Insufficient chairs and tables to eat on -- those that exist are disgustingly filthy. No hot water in the showers -- you may as well go wash in the river where it's free -- since the water is roughly the same in both cases. Better to stay in a share house in Berri or Renmark.

#
Thuy Marki
2017-05-18

Response from the accommodation:

Hi, I'm not sure who to respond to for this review due to the fact it has been written under a false name, Thuy is actually the owner of this Hostel, as for the conditions of the hostel, it is a basic facilitated with 4 bunk beds per room although we keep this to 3 people in one room as much as possible, each room has a fridge, aircon/heating unit, we are currently refurbishing these units, if a heater or fan is required these can be attained from reception. Reception is manned from 7am - to 6pm unless otherwise stated on the day, the managers are on call 24/7. Some rooms have TV's there is also a communal tv in the kitchen for all to watch and a dvd player, dvd's can be borrowed from reception or you can also join the local library where you can rent dvd's free of charge. The kitchen is very basic, it is cleaned 3 times a week along with communal areas the rest of the time it is the backpackers responsibility, although the bins are emptied daily, the fridge is deep cleaned by Thuy herself as for the rest of the time inbetween it’s upto yourselves as backpackers to mop up your own spillages and throw away waste. There are a couple of tables and chairs in both kitchens (one upstairs and one downstairs), there are also more tables and chairs on the communal balcony. The showers are the hottest we are legally allowed, sorry if this was not sufficiently hot enough for you, our current residents are quite happy with this temperature, not hot enough to scold but hot enough to get clean and not need to use cold water :) Pay is inline with piece-rate so in turn rubbish pay coincides with how much work you put in to earn a good pay. I hope this clears up any mis-understanding for new users wishing to check out the "Harvest Trail Lodge"

Loxton concentration camp

several of the male toilets don't even have doors, so if you have to go and it's the only one free, anyone walking past as the door opens can see you on the toilet. There are no working ovens, no hot water, and both kitchens are infested with wasps. Not at all a nice place to stay.

Mike
2016-05-26
Australia

Very bad place, stay far away

Oh my god stay far away from the hotel. it's a pigs place -- it's so dirty and destroyed and inside lives someone who raped me when i was sleeping and so drunk. and the manager and the owner protect him so he is still living inside. I report this to the police but i left the hostel so the judge let him stay at the hostel.

geraldine
2015-05-07
Age 23 | french

Hell on earth

Ok. Please, please, please stay away. This place and the pigs that run it are a joke. The worst place I have ever stayed. And I have been to prison. The work is hard for no pay and the conditions here can be compared to the worst, most putrid filth you have ever seen. In a word loxton sux. Dogs at animal welfare have 100% better accommodation.

vman
2015-01-16
Age 30 | perth WA

Ultimate dive, scam of scams

this disgusting so called hostel should be condemned, as for Joe & Andrew they both need to be shut down & stripped of such a position to manage or employ anyone period. To all backpackers as well as any australians, Do not enter scam of scams!

A rating of 1 is to excessive
2014-12-06

A working Hostel - Gain your 88 days for your 2nd year working holiday visa!

A basic facilitated with 4 bunk beds per room although we keep this to 3 people in one room as much as possible, each room has a fridge, aircon/heating unit, we are currently refurbishing these units, if a heater or fan is required these can be attained from reception. Reception is manned from 7am - to 6pm unless otherwise stated on the day, the managers are on call 24/7. Some rooms have TV's there is also a communal tv in the kitchen for all to watch and a dvd player, dvd's can be borrowed from reception or you can also join the local library where you can rent dvd's free of charge.
The kitchen is very basic, any poys pans etc which are not already in the kitchen can be attained from receptuin, it is cleaned 3 times a week along with communal areas the rest of the time it is the backpackers responsibility, although the bins are emptied daily, the fridge is deep cleaned by Thuy herself as for the rest of the time inbetween it’s upto yourselves as backpackers to mop up your own spillages and throw away waste. There are a couple of tables and chairs in both kitchens (one upstairs and one downstairs), there are also more tables and chairs on the communal balcony.
There are bathrooms upstairs and downstairs male & female and also one disability bathroom, the showers are the hottest we are legally allowed :)
Pay is inline with piece-rate so in turn pay coincides with how much work you put in as to how much you earn, you are taxed, you'll receive super payments and payslips, you'll work through a contractor, he will tell what time you are working and transport you to your place of work for the day, transport to and from the farms is at no extra cost!

It's a small town will all local amenities, woollies, post office, newsagents, banks, pub & club. In the summer time there is a local outdoor swimming pool a couple of streets away, the river is a 5 minute walk away with outdoor BBQ facilities.

1 Kokoda Terrace, Loxton, South Australia, 5333

Phone Number: 08 85845646

Jobs/Work Available

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 18

Checkout: 12:00 (12 Noon)

Reception Hours: 7 am - 10pm

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Harvest Trail Lodge