Reef Lodge Backpackers, Townsville

6.9

Reef Lodge Backpackers is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com

It is the only way to book Reef Lodge Backpackers

How is Reef Lodge Backpackers rated on booking websites?

Reef Lodge Backpackers Reviews

Clean but unfriendly

Pros -- Clean rooms; good location, situated just around the corner of bars, restaurants as well as the harbor for day trips to magnetic island. Cons -- unfriendly staff, we didn't feel at home or wanted as guests at all.

M
2015-05-14
Age 31 | Germany

Best lodge I have stayed at.

Reef Lodge, Townsville has a warm, friendly, homey environment. It's clean and tidy. Well cared for. Has excellent facilities and the hosts were always accommodating. I was always made to feel welcome and would recommend this to anyone. Every day at Reef Lodge was an awesome day.

STEVE
2014-07-14
Age 47 | NEW ZEALAND

Completely overrated

We stayed at reef lodge for 3 nights (6-9 of september 2013) on recommendation of a travel guide that rated reef lodge to the best hostel in Townsville. PROs -- Blanket and linen provided; Clean kitchen (camera surveillance everywhere, you're pretty much forced to clean up otherwise you'd lose your 20$ key deposit); Laundry facilities; Clean rooms, double beds are stable; Relaxed atmosphere (nice deco style), hammocks; Really small hostel but situated just around the corner of the clubbing street. CONs -- Camera surveillance basically everywhere but in rooms and toilet facilities, you feel watched everywhere; Small rooms -- really annoying when everybody has big luggage; Wifi did not work when we were there, no idea if they fixed it; Only a few toilets for many people, dark toilet & shower rooms. But the worst thing was -- really unfriendly staff! No welcoming hello -- pissed off face, annoyed explanation of rules and area around hostel, we didn't feel at home or wanted as guests at all! Betraying: -- we said we'd like to have the cheapest dorm available because we were just staying there for a few nights. Instead of a 6 bed room dorm for 22$ they gave us a 8 bed room dorm with air-con for 24$ without telling us ... We did neither asked nor wanted an air-con which explains the 2$ more per night and person. We would not have found out about this if we didn't meet others who had a cheaper dorm with less beds AND beds free! Felt a little bit deceived. Unfriendly -- When Asking if there's wifi available for free (as the travel guide said), only tight-lipped answer that it does not work -- no info when it would be fixed/or why. Strict -- would send you to bed like your parents when staying up later than 11pm and chilling at chill out area (what's the purpose of a chill-our area then?) even when music turned out and talking calmed down + no guests allowed at all, not even over day. This hostel is COMPLETELY overrated -- no idea how the book could think it would be the best hostel Townsville offers. The chilled-out atmosphere is quite nice and relaxing, but the staff are definitely unfriendly and seem to dislike their job which makes you feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

Krissi
2013-09-17
Age 20 | Germany

Poor management and has very small communal areas

Just returned from reef lodge. I took students for a conservation holiday. I was placed miles away from my students and people were up all night -- especially around 3AM after the pubs closed. I expected noise as we were close to pubs but what I didn't expect was to be told off at 8AM for being too noisy and to be considerate of other guests! I was simply giving instructions to my students as they were located in all different rooms away from each other. I was also not impressed when playing cards one night to be told off again for using the pool table as the card table. Pretty hard to find a location to do this as all other areas were filled with people smoking pot all day long. The kitchen was not well equipped and I had to put all the food into the students fridges as there was no room in the main one. You basically had to fight for a stove element. Was not impressed with the facilities or the management team.

Rach
2012-09-29
Australian

Great time

The hostel is a nice place to stay. I'm here for two month now and i really like it. The rooms are not to basic and clean. Also the bathrooms and the kitchen (except the other backpackers didn't clean their stuff). It's a few minute walk to the beach, to the pubs and to the shops. The owner is strange. But if you follow his rules you shouldnt have problems with him. I really enjoy my time here and i met a lot of nice people. A unforgettable time.

Ines
2011-12-23
German

Nice stay!

On the 23. December 2010 we were supposed to be on the way to Mission Beach! It was canceled, because there was a flood in Queensland and no Greyhound Buses running up to the north. So we were stuck in Townsville. The manager was very helpful and friendly. Every day we had to check if the buses were running, so he already made a reservation for the room, so in case when the bus is not running we have a place to stay. The most visitors had the same situation so we had a good atmosphere. The manager offered us at Christmas day a FREE barbecue. Finally we could continue our travel, so we checked out at 10.00 am. but we could still use the tv "room". We strongly recommend this fantastic place!

Swiss Girls
2011-01-04
Swiss

Ok, not great

Room was a good size, but very noisy, the outside TV area was good with sofa hammocks to laze in. It is not six hundred meters from the transit centre though so do not believe them. it was a very far walk, especially in the rain with our bags!

**B**
2009-01-19
British

Single girls, do not stay here.

The owner/manager is creepy. He is all friendly and smiling when i checked in and his wife was around but when we were alone later that night he became very touchy feely and was a different person. He didnt actually do anything wrong but he would stare at me and touch me all the time and i didnt like it, so i checked out after two days. I went to another hostel and felt much safer. If you're a girl and traveling by yourself dont risk the feelings that i had, yuck, give Reef lodge a wide berth. Its not a good to be creeped out where you are living. I had a job in Townsville and was going to stay for three weeks but not in that place.

Kelly
2008-07-06
UK

Reef Lodge Backpackers Reviews from the Web

I only spent a few days at Reef Lodge but found it to be a pleasant place to stay. It was clean and well maintained and the staff helpful. If I was in Townsville again I would stay there again.

Cheers Paul

hannonpaul4455132
2020-11-25

Booked a private double room for one night. After completing payment on arrival, the man working reception realised that they didn't actually have that room available, only a private twin. We weren't happy but accepted as it was a bit late to seek other accommodation. I then asked about a reduced price for the twin room. He denied this and justified it by saying something about website wouldn't allow it, blah, blah.

Room smelled VERY bad.

Kitchen facilities looked good, although didn't use

hazelanns
2020-10-03

Atmosphere

2016-12-08

Liked: Clean and welcoming large space was nicely decorated Didn't like: Check out 10am but you have to actually leave the place at 12:30 so if your coach is late you'll be stranded with all your bags.

2016-05-19

Liked: Near to the bus terminal. Decent size room. Free pancakes and hot dogs were yum! Didn't like: Staff are very rude and unwelcoming, as if you have inconvenienced them in paying to stay at their property.

2016-03-15

Liked: Nice atmosphere. Friendly staff! Didn't like: Nothing

2016-01-03

Liked: Near to the bus and ferry terminal. Didn't like: Bad atmosphere, passive aggressive notes EVERYWHERE. Feels like you are back at school. Staff were not friendly at check in, or when dealing with them later. Seemed like an inconvenience to deal with guests and was told to "come back later" over an intercom. Dingy room with no natural light and bathrooms smelled pretty bad.

2015-09-11

Liked: Very good equiped kitchen Didn't like: Nothing

2015-08-23

Liked: Nothing to add Didn't like: No problems

2015-04-14

Liked: Laid back atmosphere Didn't like: Nothing

2015-04-09

Liked: The Reef Lodge offers unlimited free wi-fi, which functions just fine, a big plus! The tv-area is also nice, with comfy couches and fans. Didn't like: The kitchen was quite small, with only ond water tap and two stoves, so you often needed to wait fot others to finish cooking of doing their dishes.

2015-04-04

I liked the quiet atmosphere and that the hostel was really clean. Also it has a lot of space to hang out.

2015-03-15

Character and conveniant location.

Customer review
2012-05-22

Secure ,clean, comfortable hostel with great areas to relax in.

Customer review
2012-04-28

"Lonely Planet"

"With its mellow atmosphere, beaut murals, cheery bed covers and outdoor nooks. Reeflodge leads the hostel pack. Space is a premium in the two-tier complex overlooking a courtyard, with book exchange, a laundry and travelers notice board, You're well catered
for."

Reeflodge is in the city heart and is approximately 500m from the Greyhound and Premier bus and ferry terminal and only a 2 minute walk to the beach or the cities Flinders Mall with for all your shopping. If you are into the latest movies, the picture theater, Birch Carroll & Coyle is only a 10 minute away. The Museum IMAX cultural center aquarium restaurants and nightclubs are less than 100m away.

We have no hidden cost and you get what you pay for, we simply offer budget accommodation in our highly featured hostel tailored to suit the traveler or backpacker who is looking for a nice, safe, quiet and clean place to stay.

Things to do

Sky diving

* Fishing
* Jet ski
* Magnetic island
* Outback
* Rain Forrest
* Rock climbing

things that you can do that will not cost you a cent.

* Walking through the town common lots of wildlife
* 6 km walk to the end of pallrenda beach
* go fishing down at the waterfront.
* BBQ on"Strand park "
* Heritage walk
* Old cemetery walk
* "Castle Hill,"
* Did I tell you can kill yourself in Townsville. There is a large hill which takes about 45 minutes to walk to the top. The only time I walked up the hill I felt I was going to have myself a good old fashioned myocardial infarction and drop dead! There is an upside, after you realise your not going to die and it was only a near death experience. That it has the greatest panoramic views of the whole city. Particularly good at sunset!!

Video of Reef Lodge Backpackers

Here is a video of Reef Lodge Backpackers. The video gives you a better understanding of what you can expect.

In the center of the city close to all that Townsville has to offer, including the museum ReefHQ and Imax thearter . The hostel is less than a 600m walk to the ferry terminal for magnetic island, city mall and beach.

Address: 4 Wickham Street, Townsville, Queensland, Australia

+50 Traveller

Digital Nomads

Family-Friendly Hostel

Quiet Rest

Lockers in Lobby (from $2)

Luggage Storage (From $2)

Safe Deposit Box (from $1)

Darts

Walking Tours

Genders: Males & Females

Min. Age with Parent (dorms): 18

Min. Age with Parent (private room): All Ages

Note: Quiet time and no alcohol after 10-30pm.

Reception Hours: 8-00am -- 8-00 pm

Size: Large (60-100 beds)

Rate Reef Lodge Backpackers