Tropic Days Boutique Hostel, Cairns

A True Boutique Hostel

Tropic Days Boutique Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Booking.com

It is the only way to book Tropic Days Boutique Hostel

How is Tropic Days Boutique Hostel rated on booking websites?

Tropic Days Boutique Hostel Reviews

2nd to None!

Absolutely Loved staying at Tropic Days!! 2 years traveling Australia and have never come across another backpackers like it! By far the cleanest, friendliest, safest, most accommodating place you could wish to be residing at!! town isn't far away AT ALL! a very enjoyable 10 min walk or free buses run numerous times throughout the day! they accommodate for all ages, and tailor their approach to your wants and needs!! Hats off to Cathy and Gabe. Best hostel i've ever come across!!

Joe Lewis
2011-08-17
Wales

Awesome!

Gabe and Kathy have outdone themselves with Tropic Days. They provide an excellent service to the public! From the moment we walked in the door to check in it was laughter and it continued until we left.

Camille and Terri
2010-12-05
Canada

Hated this place. The staff acted like you owed them something for staying at a rated hostel that everyone loves. Good points --clean (although our linen was never changed whole time we were there), excellent kitchen and facilities. Bad points -- miles away from anywhere. It's a good walk into town, which you would not want to do on your own at night (no buses go back to hostel after woolshed bus). buses run every few hours which means waiting around. staff are so busy to really care, internet and office are closed from 12 till 4 and 8 onwards, which is frustrating when you are staying in, and so far from anywhere. Also always busy, so had to wait to chat to them. Aircon in rooms is noisy and $1 per three hours. Felt so much hotter here than being on the esplanade, that it was unbearable without aircon. I have stayed in many hostels now, and this was by far the worst experience i have had. we ended up staying in a room that cost $10 more a night, had our own bathroom and was on the esplanade, and it was a millions times better. so much nicer than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Stupots
2007-02-04

Stay here if you enjoy passive smoking, being treated like you owe them a favour for letting you staying there, penny pinching, a campsite that makes accommodation in Rio's outskirts seem attractive, or walking five kilometers per night. On the plus side there were no backpackers stealing from each other -- instead that job was ably performed by others jumping over the fence and picking dorm locks with a screwdriver. I like hostels with a relaxed atmosphere to noise -- makes everyone a bit more relaxed. But Tropic Days manages to achieve something special -- a lot of noise and a wound up stick-up-bum approach to it. Admittedly this isnt helped by the indigenous australian community who live next door, but an encounter with multicultural australia maybe one of the highlights of your visit. A bit of aggro on the street as you try to get back into this wonderful hostel will save you having to do a self-guided after-dark Alice Springs tour.

tim
2006-08-27

We stayed in this hostel in May 2006. Good atmosphere, very friendly, clean hostel. Only one down side, it's slightly off the beaten track so can be a bit of a long walk back from the pub late at night. They operate a free mini bus shuttle to/from the centre till mid-evening.

Linda and Stephen
2006-07-18

Really friendly hostel; staff make an effort and it has a real homely feel to it. Perfect if you've just arrived in Oz and want somewhere pretty chilled. No bar though :(

Holly
2006-02-22

The best hostel i have ever had the pleasure of staying at in the whole world. The atmosphere is brilliant as to are all the staff that run Tropic Days. The cleanest and best hostel going.

I only wish I could spend the rest of my days there chilling in the hammock!

Tam
2006-02-13

I enjoyed my stay here at Tropic Days. The hostel is very clean and spacious offering plenty of kitchens, bathrooms and communal areas. It is based out of town so you are reliant on the free buses in to town. The hostel is a great place to relax especially if like me you are doing a dive course whilst your there.

The only downside I found was on my day of leaving the staff had a bit of a u-turn in their attitude, they were very friendly but suddenly seemed very keen on getting us out of our room, even before the checking out time. One member of staff stormed in to my double room to "check" we were packing up, we were left a bit stunned as we were in the middle of getting dressed and we were offered no apology. We also found the lady on reception a bit petty- she would not let us use the phone to call a local taxi firm and we had no change. Surely the place isn't that hard up that you can't make a quick call, most places we stayed at were quite relaxed in this respect.

I'm sure we just caught the staff on a bad day- perhaps there was pressure from the stern Irish lady in charge to get the place sorted. Having said that the cleanliness of the place was appreciated.

A clean hostel
2006-01-24

Tropic Days Boutique Hostel Reviews from the Web

No aircon :(

savannahmcguirk8415
2021-10-19

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Very homely vibe, everyone is friendly, hostel owner Gabe always made every effort to help and even address me by name. Will stay again in future!

Ikas90
2021-09-06

Tropic days is the best hostel in cairns! Gabe and Kathy are super lovely, accommodating, and always have great suggestions for places to travel around the area. The hostel facilities are cleaned daily so its always really clean. The vibe and community of the hostel is unbeatable! 100% stay here!

caram14909
2021-07-20

Stayed 1 night but almost cancelled my hotel room I booked for the night after to stay another night. Extremely beautifully outdoor area comparable to a Buddhist retreat but without all the rules that prevents fun and socialising. Beds were top notch for a hostel. Even though I only stayed 1 night I was told in the morning, check out was relaxed so I got to slowly get myself together before I took off. First choice in hostel next time I visit Cairns.

mattoleary918405
2021-07-02

If you are staying in a hostel in cairns stay here!! Its peaceful & friendly. Gabe was super helpful and accommodating. Its a very chill atmosphere, clean and relaxing. All the people I met were lovely. They helped fix my friends car when it broke down and Gabe helped me with other bookings. I tried to come back on my last night in cairns because the hostel I booked right in the cbd was just AWFUL and even though there wasnt any rooms Gabe tried to call around and help me find another place.

Bonehead
2021-07-01

Absolutely wonderful place to stay, felt like my home away from home while in Cairns

vicwood884655
2021-06-19

Atmosphere wasnt the best, it was a cheap hostel guess you get what you pay for it attracts odd characters.

levi7775842
2021-01-28

Nice place, nice people, nice vibe, movie nights and community dinner means guests interact with each other. John and Tina are very helpful with the bicycle hire and to book tours

brittmorison8834
2021-01-17

Best hostel in cairns, amazing atmosphere, nice and chill, everyone super friendly and movie and burger nights are a touch! 100% reccommend

hjwfilm7834
2020-10-24

This was one of my favourite hostels yet. Theres a great community atmosphere between the people who stay, different themed nights which create a vibe but you can also just chill quietly if you want to. John and Tina who run the place are lovely and very helpful with recommendations. I ended up coming back more than once.. Cheers loves x

anya19957892
2020-08-17

Liked: Smartphone Didn't like: All like

2015-10-18

Liked: The pool and nice garden Didn't like: Outside the city

2015-10-06

Liked: The staff are super helpful and made my trip easy. Fun atmosphere. Didn't like: Nothing

2015-09-20

The staff were very helpful and accommodating, we ended up extending our stay at the hostel by a further 3 days. Location is out of the way but is only a short walk to city centre. Is very quite location that strictly imposes 10pm silence from guests. Very clean and pleasant setting.

2015-07-24

Chilled.and.relaxxed

2015-06-08

Liked: Everyone was so friendly and helpful! A lovely place to stay! Didn't like: Location is not great, but can easily walk or take the bus.

2015-05-24

Liked: Very clean, looked very attractive and good nights sleep!! Didn't like: Location was a bit far out - compensated with a shuttle bus but no further shuttles after 9pm which meant always had to get a taxi back in the evenings. Also having to pay for AC in such a hot climate. As backpackers, felt inclined to not pay it but was ridiculously uncomfortable overnight. Rooms got very hot and sweaty!!

2015-04-15

Liked: Well Managed and comfortable accommodation Didn't like: Only one outside communal area. Smokers happy to light up if you choose to eat outside.

2015-02-12

very cosy and homey place / it feels like your own home

2014-08-22

Liked: Really nice garden area, comfy beds, super secure safes for each bed, dorms were not overcrowded. Didn't like: The only negative is that there aren't enough toilets/showers - and the ones they do have are spread out between buildings so a couple of times I found myself wandering around just to find out all the bathrooms were occupied or being cleaned.

2014-08-22

Tropic Days is two fabulous fully restored Queenslanders, established by two travellers, Kathy & Gabriel Thallon and their 3 children Annie, Molly and Poppy. It is set in a beautiful landscaped tropical garden with a huge pool, surrounded with hammocks, coconut trees and plenty of lawn to sunbathe.

Having travelled around the world for 2 years ourselves, we understand the important needs of being a traveller, so we would like to make your stay with us as special as possible.

With comfort in mind we have doubles, twins and 3/4 bed share with free towels, bed linen, evening meals, and unlimited tea & coffee. We also have a small campsite which can accommodate a few tents. We can offer you a courtesy pickup from the airport, bus and train stations.
Tropic Days is very cosy, making it an ideal base to explore the diverse attractions around Cairns while feeling that you have a home away from home. So why not join us and experience the fantastic fun-filled and friendly atmosphere.

• Tropic Days Backpackers is located at Bunting Street, Cairns.
• We are a 20 min walk from down town Cairns. The Cairns Central Shopping center is only 10 minutes walk. To find us please follow Scott Street for 800 meters and Turn left on Bunting Street. Remember we have frequent courtesy buses to and from Town.
• Cairns Airport has an international and domestic terminal, located about 6km from the city centre. A cab from the airport to Tropic Days will cost you about $25-$30, or we can offer you a $5 discount on a confirmed Airport shuttle. They will drop you to our door. You must book directly on their website and mention the code "WELCOME" to their Bus driver at the pick up point to get the special price;
• For Bookings please use the following-

Bike Rental

Evening Entertainment

Swimming Pool

Reception Hours: 7am until 12 noon and 4 pm antil 8pm

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate Tropic Days Boutique Hostel