European Hostel, San Francisco

South of Market
4.7

European Hostel is listed at the following booking sites:

Hostelworld Booking.com

How is European Hostel rated on booking websites?

European Hostel Reviews

Great stay

Great stay, cheap rates for expensive city. There are homeless people everywhere so did not feel scared. Staff was great, kitchen was nice, and the roof had great area to lounge around and very centrally located.

2016-02-02
Age 26 | American

Quaint hostel in soma

I stayed here overnight before a train the next day. The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. Despite booking a dorm, my room had only a single bunk, and no other occupants during my stay. The rooftop afforded me some of the best urban photos of my stay.

Chris
2015-08-21
Age 28 | Australian

Only cheap, nothing else

If your consideration is only price, choose it. Otherwise choose other hostel. This hostel is only for sleep needed. No breakfast, no activity.

pearson
2014-10-14
Age 22 | taiwan

Worst hostel!

Me and my boyfriend booked to stay for 2 weeks in this hostel, and when we arrived for check in, the man on the desk who was polite said that we could pay for one week first and then pay for the second, which made me think why. We paid for the one week, and we were in a 6 bed mixed dorm, which wasn't big enough for 4 beds let alone 6! After that one day we upgraded to a private room, and paid the difference. Nobody really spoke to us and the hostel wasn't exactly clean, so we tried to stay out as long as we could. We came to check out of the private room and back into the mixed dorm that we had already paid for and the same man on reception tried to get more money out of us, telling us that we had only paid for 5 days and not 7. We were not willing to pay more to stay in such a dirty hostel. There were homeless people everywhere and people in the alleyway injecting themselves. I would never ever go back to this hostel. We left 2 days early and booked another hostel.

Nikki
2014-03-30
Age 27 | England

Not a great area but an ok stay!

Could be cleaner but we did see the cleaner working hard every day so they seem to be trying to improve this aspect! The fridge needs a clean though as the smell was awful. The area is close to city centre and a fairly short walk from the pier and golden gate park which are both nice places. Unfortunately there are a lot of homeless people about so I wouldn't head out after dark without a plan and a group. TV in dining room, not a lot of plug sockets in rooms, three bathrooms on our floor, staff could be friendlier but will answer any questions, free WiFi, a lot of cool people staying there! Overall it fits the cheap hostel stereotype the only difference being the intimidating area.

A
2013-07-16
Age 20 | British

WORST HOSTEL EVER

This is the worst hostel we have ever stayed at!!!!! They took over half an hour to find the online reservation that we had made and didn't seem to know what they were doing. We eventually got into our room and were very disappointed to find that they did not provide linen or towels. We woke up with bed bug bites! They don't provide a breakfast. Their rooftop bar is nonexistent, as is the city view. Do not stay here, hostels of the same price get much better that this!!

Annabel and Sophie
2010-08-28
NZ and England

Managed with incompetence

I had reserved two nights. Three days prior to my arrival I specifically canceled only the first night. When I arrived to spend my single night there, there told me that they had canceled my entire reservation. This hostel is managed my immature idiots. I would highly recommend that you stay elsewhere.

Dusty
2008-07-29
U.S.A.

What a hellhole

The place is filthy and the owners are always trying to squeeze an extra five to ten dollars out of you for one thing or another. Bedbugs are a real issue and they won't spend the money to correct it.

Dennis
2008-06-20
usa

European Hostel Reviews from the Web

Worst hostel Ive ever stayed at. One single bathroom per floor. The bathroom on my floor was out. So I often had to walked down three flights of stairs to Gk to the bathroom. No toilet paper in any bathroom. Front desk host argued and acted terrible. This hostel should be removed form the website.

amn3v8HAOLt5wxkg
2022-07-29

Host at reception was nice, but wasn't very resourceful - he couldn't give me guidance or was superficial or not very accurate. Kitchen was dirty for most of the time, from used dishes from other guests; dishes and cutlery options weren't really good.

Room was okay, but the mattresses were wrapped in a plastic that was in bad conditions (you could see from under the bunk bed), and the bed was extremely noisy (squeecky). Shared bathroom was surprisingly clean enough.

felipechammas6263
2022-07-22

Do not stay here, the area looks very unsafe, the guy in the reception was very rude and the hostel is very dirty.

pablofernandez21604850
2022-07-22

Horrible customer service. I called one day prior to cancel reservation only to be yelled at and told that the front desk agent doesnt have resources to do the cancelation and I need to call hotelworld instead.

I was super upset because I had a time limit and was at work. It would have been nice to have the agent able to cancel my reservation.

veronika9556
2022-06-30

The hostel was dirty , noisy , staff unfriendly, there were insects in my room. , at 4am people were talking loudly on mobile phone in the corridor, I got no sleep. The streets around the hostel were populated with the homeless, drunks and drug addicts, I would not recommend anyone stays at this hostel.

nstansbie7746
2022-06-29

The place is big, there are so many rooms and a lot of people circulate all day. Theres no silence in the corridors.

The kitchen is dirty and the bathrooms are not so clean, and about the room the bed is terrible, it looks like it was improvised because around the bed there is no foundation. Beside that I didnt see any employee at the property, only the front desk. Not to mention cockroaches everywhere!

ogulima
2022-06-26

There is nothing bad with this place, great place if youre on the budget.

patrykkrzy287
2022-06-04

Ive been traveling all over the world and this is the worst place Ive ever been. You better sleep in your car. Really.

pablotoscano062309
2022-05-21

Great place to stay for the price it was unbeatable. Nice staff cool people staying there. I was overall pretty impressed with experience.

afamangelsf9583
2022-05-04

There are long term residents that complain and get mad when you dont share your food. I didnt get locker 2 days, other guest used them up.The room mate I had never left was constantly there and acted like a psycho and complained because I told him I needed sleep was working nights. The cleaning staff have children living there. Oldest child will bother you while you eat play her cell loudly over yours. Got bedbugs, no apology!!!!! Evening office person basically blamed me for it. Nothing done.

Janothersmith874
2022-04-22

The place wasnt clean at all. Everything was disgusting. Pretty much all the restrooms was out of service and there was 12 hours where there was no toiletpaper in any of the restrooms. There was no quiet time and the walls were so thin. We cant recommend this place at all.

mariasettgast6880
2022-04-15

The hostel didn't feel like a place intended for international travelers but rather cheap accommodation for locals. There were no organised events which helped to facilitate social interaction. The area where the hostel is located is not great either. Overall the stay is fine for the price but there are much better options in SF.

JohnSA
2022-03-28

Bad part of town if you're not familiar with the area, be careful. Don't leave anything in your vehicle. Outside of that, this is an AMAZING hostel!! Clean, newly remodeled, with an excellent staff. I have stayed in a ton of hostels and airbnbs in Europe, and this one really does feel aptly named! Shared common spaces & bathrooms/shower. Only one bathroom per floor right now, but that didn't seem to be an issue.

anne6018
2022-03-12

Much better then many of the reviews. Everything was clean. Fresh sheets and blankets.

jeremiahsacksteder
2022-02-07

This Hostel could be good, it's location, the building is perfect. The problem is they don't take care of the building. I arrived at late night, the corridor smelled like hell. The room was not so smelly, opened the window, and after a half an hour, it was OK! The mattress was firm, new, perfect. Next morning I realized that the room was not cleaned for weeks. Rubbish all over the floor, it was disgusting. The refrigerator, the kitchen, bathrooms are in terrible condition! It should be closed!!!

evaszeman425
2022-01-02

Horrible. This is a hideout. I got a refund please make sure you too dont charge me the reservation fee. Dont enlist this kind of garbage in your organization trust will give yiu a bad name. Its along story but the short one I wrote in a Google Map review. Go and read it.

jacknuman
2021-12-27

It was pretty dirty. But you only pay $20 a night. So you get what you pay for. Good location. Just dirty but its cheap.

seravosberg5675
2021-11-26

Total c**p, terrible service. Charged me for a day incorrectly and then ghosted me. Do you want to lose 50 bucks? Book a room at the European Hostel.

hugsap227414
2021-11-12

Pretty decent stay for the price.

giovannivgonzaga4697
2021-10-30

Its not the safest area. Several times there was police activity as we were walking down the block. There were a lot of used needles on the street, not to mention outside the window of our room.

The staff were friendly enough and the whole building seemed to be going through a remodel. The kitchen was very nice and most of the bathrooms had been updated but the bathroom next to our room on the second floor had a very leaky sink. Several times there was no toilet paper in the bathrooms.

pete50835729
2021-10-16

The European Guest House is centrally located between Downtown and the Castro, close to all the major attractions and sites. We are also just three blocks to the Convention center and the San Francisco Visitor's Bureau.

Public transportations are close by, and just two blocks away are all the major night clubs, and exotic restaurants.
The European Guest House is an old Victorian building with 24 hours access, satellite TV, and a roof garden with a great view.

Facilities

Internet Access
Guest Kitchen

• The Hostel is located between Downtown San Francisco, the Misson District, and the Castro. Close to all the clubs, and Bars on Folsom Street, including many fine Restaurants, and Shopping Centers. Public transportation is great: BART/MUNI/SAMS Transit/Golden Gate Transit Etc.
• Situated in MOMA on Minna Street - next to Market Street, between Mission Street and Natoma Street.
• Take the metro until 8th Street or National Plaza, go straight on at 8th Street, than take the second street on your left, it's Minna Street.

Address: 761 Minna Street, South of Market, San Francisco, California, USA

European Hostel is listed on the following booking sites:

Website European Hostel San Francisco (if you know the URL of their website, let us know and we'll add it)
Phone Number: +1 (415) 861-6634

Family-Friendly Hostel

ATM

Size: Medium (30-60 beds)

Rate European Hostel